Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Sidon is a toddler when the game takes place so if we do get him it'll be as an adventure mode unlock or as DLC.

I think one of the more interesting characters they could put in would actually be Link's dad with a spear. He's supposed to be an incredibly well accomplished knight, picked as a personal diplomatic envoy from Hyrule to teach Princess Mipha how to wield a spear etc. Canonically took Link along and lived with the Zora for a bit. It never says what happened to him after though.

So hey, make him a secondary character who tragically dies in the Calamity and has a sweet moveset like Volga but less dragon stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inflammatory posted:

no reason they couldn't add more in adventure mode.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. The story mode will play everything very straight, but they'll still have an Adventure mode with a bunch of wacky fun characters. Like Groose.

Unreal_One posted:

Mipha is such a milquetoast character I never got the love. Urbosa and Sidon, now, that's the good poo poo.

Hellioning posted:

I'm just glad we get more Mipha and Urbosa.

Unbelievable that there is no love here for best birb Revali. I am very disappointed.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The problem with Revali is that he isn't just named Falco to make timeline people's heads explode.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Time to follow this thread again because it's Hyrule Warriors time again, heck yeah.

I do agree that the champions were basically nothing characters in BotW so I'm hoping this game will give them a chance to develop their personalities better by virtue of actually being alive (for now).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
If only they made more Nintendo franchises with the warriors system (with Nintendo polish).

Mario warriors would be easy win.

Hell they could even do a smash warriors if they wanted done kind of mega crossover too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sidon will be in the game because it would be incredibly stupid not to include him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rand Brittain posted:

Sidon will be in the game because it would be incredibly stupid not to include him.

Would be cool if they dumped in a ton of extra characters when you beat the main story.

Gimmicks are the lifeblood of musou

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
They've *got* to have more than 6 characters somehow, the first game already got so much poo poo for having a tiny roster for the genre. Unless they're treating it as a short spin off budget title or something since it is all tied to a single event.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Flytrap posted:

They've *got* to have more than 6 characters somehow, the first game already got so much poo poo for having a tiny roster for the genre. Unless they're treating it as a short spin off budget title or something since it is all tied to a single event.

There's a set end point so you can introduce literally anyone and they just don't survive. A Yiga person, Purah, or Impa are probably on the table.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Evil Badman posted:

There's a set end point so you can introduce literally anyone and they just don't survive. A Yiga person, Purah, or Impa are probably on the table.

We also have the conspicuous mini-Guardian with a unique design hanging out on the cover.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I saw a Youtube comment that the mask salesman (not the happy mask salesman), Kilton, the guy in the weird hot air balloon who's obviously magical and has no real backstory in botw at all, could make for an oddball pick if he was around at that time.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
They can also do what the did with Link and Zelda in the original and just give the characters multiple weapons with different movesets. If each of the champions has 3 different movesets that's basically a full roster.

No matter what it's definitely doomed to get some people complaining that there's less content than the definitive edition of the original, though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They’re gonna do season passes out the rear end for this, just like the original. I wouldn’t worry

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man, I'm gonna have to put aside Baba is You for a bit and play some HW again, I'm too excited.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm very excited for this but there's no way it has anywhere near as much content as the definitive version and honestly that's fine. I just hope they keep the adventure mode intact.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Going just with BotW canon, we have

Confirmed: Link, Zelda, 4 Champions
Very Likely: Impa, the king

and they could easily do some post game characters that dont interact in the story but give us an excuse for having characters from the modern day BotW like the new champions, and Kass

edit: im pretty sure the Berserk musou from a few years ago had less than 10 playable characters too

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

drat, this is incredible. I cannot wait.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

mabels big day posted:

Going just with BotW canon, we have

Confirmed: Link, Zelda, 4 Champions
Very Likely: Impa, the king

and they could easily do some post game characters that dont interact in the story but give us an excuse for having characters from the modern day BotW like the new champions, and Kass

edit: im pretty sure the Berserk musou from a few years ago had less than 10 playable characters too

Oh, absoultely, character unlocks post-story for the endless grind. Preserves the canon story, but allows additional content.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

To be fair HW Definitive has entirely Too Much Content. Hell, even the original game with its season pass had too much. It was awesome having all that, but there's just an unending source of stuff to do in that game. Having less, more fleshed out content is not a bad thing. Even if this only has as much content as the original WiiU version that's still plenty. So I'm not too concerned about the amount of content, unless it turns out to be a really barebones experience outside the story mode.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

OH NO, ALL MY FREE TIME

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Come to think of it, Hyrule Warriors is all about a pair of time traveling witches. While I imagine they'll want to keep the main story straight forward and serious, the existence of Lana and Cia kinda justifies whatever the Hell they want to do with any other modes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I have been wondering when Nintendo would release an Urbosa game, and now I have the answer. Now if we can just get Linkle and Hastu as playable characters... Battle Maracas!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They confirmed amiibo functionality right?

Waiting for the resale prices of the Zelda sets to spike up like crazy again. $80 Toon Link here I come! (i already bought one for $40 years ago

Flytrap posted:

Come to think of it, Hyrule Warriors is all about a pair of time traveling witches. While I imagine they'll want to keep the main story straight forward and serious, the existence of Lana and Cia kinda justifies whatever the Hell they want to do with any other modes.

Cia/Lana gives them endless potential for fun, but you can't be horny on a main Zelda title.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

Waiting for the resale prices of the Zelda sets to spike up like crazy again. $80 Toon Link here I come! (i already bought one for $40 years ago

Cia/Lana gives them endless potential for fun, but you can't be horny on a main Zelda title.

Skyward Sword and BotW are filled with horny characters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm sort of expecting not to see Lana/Cia, given how much the reveal emphasized they were working together on the story & script and how it would be canonical.

But I have to imagine there will be some new characters they come up with to fill the rolls of the enemy captains?

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

pentyne posted:

Someone doesn't remember the Spirit Temple

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I'm sort of expecting not to see Lana/Cia, given how much the reveal emphasized they were working together on the story & script and how it would be canonical.

But I have to imagine there will be some new characters they come up with to fill the rolls of the enemy captains?

Yeah for named enemy captains right now you have the Ganon Blights, Kohga and....?

You could pretty easily make up a 'boss' Lynel/Lizaflos/Moblin/Bokoblin/Talus and they'll probably come up with some sort of obligatory sexy Yiga ninja at least. Potentially a named Guardian who starts off on the hero side and turns when the Guardians get corrupted.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If it was Botw only (which would be a huge surprise after the 40+ roster it ended up for HW) they could get creative and introduce some flavor characters like Kass' teacher, younger versions of the elders in the villages. That could easily push it up to 15 if the goron/zora/rito characters all look different enough and have different movesets.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Kin posted:

If only they made more Nintendo franchises with the warriors system (with Nintendo polish).

Mario warriors would be easy win.

Hell they could even do a smash warriors if they wanted done kind of mega crossover too.

Iirc the original pitch for HW was Koei-Tecmo going "hey Nintendo, wanna make Pokemon Warriors?" And Nintendo going "actually what if Zelda Warriors".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dynasty Warios.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Do not pursue Boo.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

pentyne posted:

They're doing a re-release of the 4 Guardians Amiibos, so assuredly so.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I hope for each character death they do an endless wave of increasing difficulty opponents so you really feel like you are in control (even though you know you are gonna lose) instead of a cutscene loss.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Link's the only confirmed character who died that way. The Champions each lost one-on-one duels while locked inside their Divine Beast.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

True, but I wouldn't mind them taking some liberties, like being overrun by cursed bokoblins, moblins, lizalfos while trying to take on their blight.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ElegantFugue posted:

Iirc the original pitch for HW was Koei-Tecmo going "hey Nintendo, wanna make Pokemon Warriors?" And Nintendo going "actually what if Zelda Warriors".

To be honest i'd take any Nintendo franchise warriors. the biggest difference between Hyrule Warriors and any of the other warriors series like One Piece, Berserk or dragon quest wasn't the Zelda theme, but the Nintendo polish that went into it.

Things like the camera, enemy lock-ons, bosses, weapons, leveling systems, all of it just makes the other games feel a bit choresome to play because there's some tired mechanic in them that's been overlooked (usually the camera).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kin posted:

To be honest i'd take any Nintendo franchise warriors. the biggest difference between Hyrule Warriors and any of the other warriors series like One Piece, Berserk or dragon quest wasn't the Zelda theme, but the Nintendo polish that went into it.

Things like the camera, enemy lock-ons, bosses, weapons, leveling systems, all of it just makes the other games feel a bit choresome to play because there's some tired mechanic in them that's been overlooked (usually the camera).

Yeah, the lack of lock on especially made it really rough for me to play other Musous since Hyrule Warriors was my first and I bounced of DW8 and WO3 hard because of it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I tried picking Fire Emblem Warriors back up to scratch the itch until thos comes out but it just doesn't feel as good. The soldiers feeling like undulating waves of grey made me seriously miss the variety in Hryule Warriors.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I tried picking Fire Emblem Warriors back up to scratch the itch until thos comes out but it just doesn't feel as good. The soldiers feeling like undulating waves of grey made me seriously miss the variety in Hryule Warriors.

Yeah, I think that's why I can see something like Mario Warriors being an easy win.

There's already a roster of playable characters (Mario's gang, Bowsers Gang, Warios gang, etc) and a variety of enemies from goombas to hammer bros as well as a number of bosses that could be hand picked from any of the games.

Nintendo could even churn out DLC. You could have a Donkey Kong one, super Mario Land ones, Wario Land, super Mario Galaxy.

Even stuff like unlockable skins, moves and weapons. It's kinda all there really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kirby Warriors would be better tbh.

Also people are hoping for a holdout situation but the trailer shows the heroes all losing their fights in cutscenes (Revali getting blasted by a purple beam, Urbosa falling to her knees and struggling to stay propped up etc) so I don't think we'll be getting that. But who knows.