Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm putting another layer on this onion. i argue that the writer of alan wake intends for the audience of the video game alan wake to recognise that alan wake, best-selling novelist, is actually not a very good writer as foreshadowing for the reveal that alan wake, best-selling novelist, is a fictional character being written within the reality in which alan wake, video game, is set. he is a best-selling novelist because thomas zane says he is, but thomas zane is a poet so he doesn't know how to write good novels, and that's why all the extracts are kind of hacky.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you subscribe to the belief that Alan Wake the character is even an actual person in Alan Wake the game then the only things we ever see of Alan Wake the character’s writing are either:
1) 2 or 3 paragraphs that mostly are just used to warn the player of dangers or reveal other off-screen information Alan Wake the character at that moment wouldn’t know about.
2) Short descriptions of places or events usually voiced as narration at the time but are obviously meant to be a characters inner thoughts as written by an author.

Same with anything we see from Thomas “Max Payne” Zane.

Alan Wake the game’s writing on the other hand has much better stuff in it. It still suffers from things like trying too hard to emulate what inspired it so it feels like a ripoff more than it needs to.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Maybe he's making the argument that Alan Wake (the character) is meant to be considered a good writer in-universe, but as players we are meant to understand that he is a hack.

yeah just like stephen king

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseDEMo8b18

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

On the other hand even at the time I didn’t understand what I was supposed to get out of that scene in Max Payne (and the “you’re in a video game” one) besides a sensible chuckle at nudging on the 4th wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

On the other hand even at the time I didn’t understand what I was supposed to get out of that scene in Max Payne (and the “you’re in a video game” one) besides a sensible chuckle at nudging on the 4th wall.

it was just a sensible-chuckle moment, the first max payne game is pure schtick

max payne 2 is the one that puts its Textual Deconstruction hat on

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

alan wake up sheeple

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

it was just a sensible-chuckle moment, the first max payne game is pure schtick

max payne 2 is the one that puts its Textual Deconstruction hat on

Yeah I just see it keep coming up as some kind of “woah” moment for a video game - I don’t mean you personally Hub Cat! - and I always felt like I was missing something even though I knew I wasn’t.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Stux posted:

yeah just like stephen king

:hmmyes:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

yes, my argument is he's not supposed to be believable because he's not real.

nothing is real, when you think about it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sebmojo posted:

woah

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

sebmojo posted:

I wish this post wasn't real.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kibayasu posted:

FWIW, I looked up what is up with that "Alan Wake is not a real person" idea and what I learned from it was that, oh my god, Remedy is even further up their own arse than I ever suspected. They've got an convoluted multi-product mythos set up that is stupid enough to make the comic industry proud.

I can no longer fault Ghostlight for his opinion, because that is exactly the kind of thing Remedy would do.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah I just see it keep coming up as some kind of “woah” moment for a video game - I don’t mean you personally Hub Cat! - and I always felt like I was missing something even though I knew I wasn’t.

Yeah MP1 is just flirting with it really, MP2 goes all the way. Just fun to point out Remedy has been messing around with this material for going on 20 years.

Getting grouchy just thinking about MP3 again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sebmojo posted:

There is no spoon.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

Getting grouchy just thinking about MP3 again.
I liked MP3.

Its just that it was developed in a poo poo engine so you can't skip its long cutscenes.

I just loving love Max Payne. Even if he won't let me love him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

FWIW, I looked up what is up with that "Alan Wake is not a real person" idea and what I learned from it was that, oh my god, Remedy is even further up their own arse than I ever suspected. They've got an convoluted multi-product mythos set up that is stupid enough to make the comic industry proud.

I can no longer fault Ghostlight for his opinion, because that is exactly the kind of thing Remedy would do.

it's sort of hinted at in the end of the base game with wake's backstory turning up on one of zane's story pages, raising the question of who exactly is writing whom and to what purpose, but the game never goes too deep into it - probably a wise idea, too much metafiction will eat even the best-written stories alive

i mean in the end it's probably all wake's doing because the game is called Alan Wake and not Thomas Zane

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

nothing except bofa

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

I liked MP3.

Its just that it was developed in a poo poo engine so you can't skip its long cutscenes.

The actual shooting was so good. If it wasn’t for the “still loading” crap I would have beaten it as many times as the first two.

The multiplayer was also surprisingly excellent before hackers ruined it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Oxxidation posted:

it's sort of hinted at in the end of the base game with wake's backstory turning up on one of zane's story pages, raising the question of who exactly is writing whom and to what purpose, but the game never goes too deep into it - probably a wise idea, too much metafiction will eat even the best-written stories alive

i mean in the end it's probably all wake's doing because the game is called Alan Wake and not Thomas Zane
It's when I read that it's strongly implied that Control is taking place in a setting written by Alan-Wake-the-writer (not Alan-Wake-the-fictional-character) that I decided to check out and that nothing more about this is worth knowing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hwurmp posted:

nothing except bofa

What's bofa?

... If a nut cannot exist?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It's when I read that it's strongly implied that Control is taking place in a setting written by Alan-Wake-the-writer (not Alan-Wake-the-fictional-character) that I decided to check out and that nothing more about this is worth knowing.

I’m just disappointed that Max Payne can’t be retroactively tossed in with an object of power or two.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kibayasu posted:

I’m just disappointed that Max Payne can’t be retroactively tossed in with an object of power or two.

A tiny part of me wants to believe Trench is secretly Max, even though it makes no sense.

I'm also surprised to have not found a portrait of Woden on one of the walls in Executive somewhere.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sebmojo posted:

ludum ergo sum.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Gorn Myson posted:

I liked MP3.

MP3 divorced from anything is a perfectly fine to good game that is kind of annoying to replay. The shooting is good, the levels aren't so great but tolerable, the multiplayer was fun for a while.

Max Payne as written by the GTA guys however irritates me to no end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

yeah i had a suspicion that'd turn out to be the case way before AWE was revealed and it's not great, because alan wake (the character) kind of sucks. i do not like to imagine jesse (who's pretty great!) having her existence be subordinate to this mumbly potato-faced drama queen

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

yeah i had a suspicion that'd turn out to be the case way before AWE was revealed and it's not great, because alan wake (the character) kind of sucks. i do not like to imagine jesse (who's pretty great!) having her existence be subordinate to this mumbly potato-faced drama queen
He's also frankly not nearly a good enough writer to come up with something that is this engaging. I mean, I didn't think Control was the greatest game, but as a setting and a weird and creative storytelling device, you really can't say anything bad about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm trying to avoid spoilers for Death Stranding, but I have a question - I just accidentally dropped off a lost cargo to the wrong waystation. Is there an infinite amount of lost cargo in the game, or am I going to be short likes at the end of the game?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers for Death Stranding, but I have a question - I just accidentally dropped off a lost cargo to the wrong waystation. Is there an infinite amount of lost cargo in the game, or am I going to be short likes at the end of the game?
Lost cargo appears in your world spontaneously based on where other players lost some of theirs. You will never run completely out, do whatever you want with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Jaden Smith really ahead of the curve here.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nah you're good. You can just keep delivering stuff to them from other places and you get more lost cargo.
Keep on keeping on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thanks guys, the mail will continue to flow.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
What's y'all's favorite Monster Hunter World weapon? Trying to get back in it, tried the heavy bowgun, thinking yeah I'll machine gun dinosaurs all day, but there aren't any wicked sweet combos, you just run a short distance and press the trigger. I can play any other thousand games to do that. My first 40 hours played two years ago was with the switch axe, which was cool but wanted to try something new this time around.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm one of those weird people who thought Amalur was almost really good back when it came out but I also thought it was severely hamstrung by a bunch of small issues.

The biggest of those issues for me was the camera. Most RPGs or MMOs in this kind of style direct the camera's focus right at the character's head at the lowest and right above it at the highest. Amalur focuses the camera right at your character's waist or lower back so that it always feels like your character is blocking your view of the world around you. When you run forward the camera actually lags behind you and can aim at your shins. You actually see more of the ground behind your character than the world in front of you and this game's gigantic world feels cramped and awful the entire time because of it.

From youtube videos, it looks like the camera is still just as low-slung and claustrophobic feeling as ever. Apparently you can widen the FoV but you're still forced to stare at your character's lower half all the time. Lame. I would have bought the remaster, all the other warts and all, if they'd just have fixed what is arguably one of the worst cameras in modern 3rd person games.

EDIT: Amalur Re-Recking, turns out, has fixed the camera issues. The camera is great now. I've bought the new version and I'm having a great time with it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 10, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So Necromunda came out yesterday to absolutely zero fanfare. Anyone play it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

GreatGreen posted:

I'm one of those weird people who thought Amalur was almost really good back when it came out but I also thought it was severely hamstrung by a bunch of small issues.

The biggest of those issues for me was the camera. Most RPGs or MMOs in this kind of style direct the camera's focus right at the character's head at the lowest and right above it at the highest. Amalur focuses the camera right at your character's waist or lower back so that it always feels like your character is blocking your view of the world around you. When you run forward the camera actually lags behind you and can aim at your shins. You actually see more of the ground behind your character than the world in front of you and this game's gigantic world feels cramped and awful the entire time because of it.

From youtube videos, it looks like the camera is still just as low-slung and claustrophobic feeling as ever. Apparently you can widen the FoV but you're still forced to stare at your character's lower half all the time. Lame. I would have bought the remaster, all the other warts and all, if they'd just have fixed what is arguably one of the worst cameras in modern 3rd person games.
This review points out tons of examples where they basically didn't update Kingdoms of Amalur at all and it's an extremely lazy re-release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5GgxbhYwA

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus, I'm not alone.

Yeah, that camera was bad enough to actually make me a little nauseous after playing for an hour.
I had hoped the remaster would have fixed that or the new options made it more flexible.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

What's y'all's favorite Monster Hunter World weapon? Trying to get back in it, tried the heavy bowgun, thinking yeah I'll machine gun dinosaurs all day, but there aren't any wicked sweet combos, you just run a short distance and press the trigger. I can play any other thousand games to do that. My first 40 hours played two years ago was with the switch axe, which was cool but wanted to try something new this time around.

SnS forever

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Deakul posted:

Jesus, I'm not alone.

Yeah, that camera was bad enough to actually make me a little nauseous after playing for an hour.
I had hoped the remaster would have fixed that or the new options made it more flexible.

It's really frustrating yeah. It would have been an almost effortless thing to fix too, and would have done so much for the game. Increase camera Z by a few units and done.

The other thing I would have liked to see is that while you can equip any two weapons at a time, you can only ever see one of them at a time. Having both weapons sheathed on you, and when you fight with any one of them, you'd show the other sheathed on your character would have been really great for the tone of the game.

But mostly I'm just frustrated about the camera.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. Amalur Re-Recking, turns out, has fixed the camera issues. The camera is great now. I've bought the new version and I'm having a great time with it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's options to change camera height and distance in the remaster.