Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Klaaz posted:

While I really enjoyed this show i really didn't like to see them ignoring the entire 8-bit and 16-bit homecomputer scene in which entire game genres where created.

Also the dumb animations in between scenes

It definitely felt a little arbitrary what they focused on. And I can easily imagine a negative relationship between ones enjoyment of the show and how much they already know about gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ahahahahahaha I just finished the penultimate episode of star girl where the evil plot of the bad guys, called the injustice league, was revealed:

They are planning to take over America so that they can eliminate the use of fossil fuels and transition to wind and solar energy, end all discrimination based on race, gender and sexual orientation, and introduce Medicare for all.

I'm not making that up, that is the evil plot that must be stopped at all costs.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cactus posted:

Ahahahahahaha I just finished the penultimate episode of star girl where the evil plot of the bad guys, called the injustice league, was revealed:

They are planning to take over America so that they can eliminate the use of fossil fuels and transition to wind and solar energy, end all discrimination based on race, gender and sexual orientation, and introduce Medicare for all.

I'm not making that up, that is the evil plot that must be stopped at all costs.

I mean, "I have a noble cause which will bring peace and justice to all the world, and that's why I'm gonna kill everyone who opposes giving me absolute power" is really stock megalomania in anything other than "I'm evil because I'm evil!" kids shows. I'm not sure why people get surprised whenever a villain does that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean usually it’s revealed they are lying but it’s dumb either way

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Killer robot posted:

I mean, "I have a noble cause which will bring peace and justice to all the world, and that's why I'm gonna kill everyone who opposes giving me absolute power" is really stock megalomania in anything other than "I'm evil because I'm evil!" kids shows. I'm not sure why people get surprised whenever a villain does that.

Well yeah but the manifesto was just so specific and I couldn't help but think someone is behind this script who wants to put this out. It's just so laughably transparent.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just started Future Man because Eliza Coupe from Happy Endings is in it and it's not bad. Relies a little too much on pop culture references but Tiger and Wolf are amazing characters.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just started Future Man because Eliza Coupe from Happy Endings is in it and it's not bad. Relies a little too much on pop culture references but Tiger and Wolf are amazing characters.

It taught me that there really is no downside to cocaine

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I liked the Netflix season of Shaun the Sheep and I just had my mind blown when I looked to see if there were going to be more seasons and discovered not only are there a bunch of old seasons but they're on Amazon Prime. Guess I'm late to the party. I imagine I'll O.D. on these at some point.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Meatgrinder posted:

Starting a rewatch of the first season of The Boys, and although I've watched it again at some point after its initial release already, I can still, from the first few scenes (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT STEP OFF THE CURB) get wholly into it. It's just one of those few shows where watching it again, knowing what is going to happen, just adds depth to the material instead of making it boring or predictable. So, so looking forward to the 4th.

I just started S1. Am I just too media savvy for my own good or is every "twist" in episode 1 highly obvious ? Girlfriend is about to get murked, that dude isn't really an FBI agent, she's about to get sexually harassed ? It's good but it isn't subt.... I may have just answered my own question.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mllaneza posted:

I just started S1. Am I just too media savvy for my own good or is every "twist" in episode 1 highly obvious ? Girlfriend is about to get murked, that dude isn't really an FBI agent, she's about to get sexually harassed ? It's good but it isn't subt.... I may have just answered my own question.

The guy who writes those comics was never ever subtle.

The show tones his excesses down a lot

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I read the comics in college and the tone was very "heh... this poo poo's pretty hosed UP, RIGHT??" I haven't tried the show yet but from what I hear, I'll probably like it more than the books.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Your Gay Uncle posted:

After watching this and preacher I'm convinced seth rogen is only good at first seasons.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I watched the first two episodes of Cobra Kai, and I wanted to hate it. It's an attempt to cash in on one of my favorite movies from my childhood, made for YouTube Premium or whatever the gently caress. But man, I am so into it.

The setup is great, of course that is where these guys ended up. I wish Elizabeth Shue and Mr Miyagi were in it, but fame and death make that unlikely. I'm definitely in for a bit to see how it goes, it is better than I expected.

Also, I love that Johnny is still trying to be 80s-cool. Snapping the beer cap across the room, driving his Firebird, talking about GNR. I knew that guy in the 80s, and I still know a couple of those guys. It's perfect.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who binged both seasons of Cobra Kai in a single night a few days ago, let me just say that show is awesome and you will be very entertained throughout the entire series.

I might just let the whole thing play out again over the weekend.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zer0spunk posted:

After watching this and preacher I'm convinced seth rogen is only good at first seasons.

Really? I thought Season1 of Preacher is tied with 3 for the weakest season.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I watched Preacher as it aired and felt like the only goon without complaints, just weird visually compelling fun to me, start to finish.

We're binging Poldark right now and it has Herr Starr/Pip Torrens, that man was a treasure in Preacher. Enjoying Poldark well enough, it doesn't always drag out the cliche'd plot I'm expecting which is nice, but it also has a tendency to never spend long on or dig very deep any plot. Feels like it's just lightly hopping from book event to book event.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Nobel. Norwegian political-military drama.

It's nicely done! It's tightly written around realpolitik with intelligent characters. US Netflix. One season.

Also, I like the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-tKbnakMk8

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm getting that. After a quick look at the wiki page for the comic series, it looks like they've done a fine job.

I'm through episode 5, and goddamn this show is well-directed. The actors are nailing their deliveries on every line, and every shot looks real.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I just binged all of Madam Secretary, which I thoroughly enjoyed more than I ever thought I would

...until season 6. Who the hell thought mapping the inane, self-inflicted problems of the Trump presidency onto characters that spend five seasons debating morality and right and wrong was a good idea? And an entire season of making GBS threads on everyone was basically resolved in 5 minutes of screen time in the penultimate episode and suddenly everyone loves President McCord again! Let’s now marry two random characters without on screen chemistry together

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zypher posted:

I just binged all of Madam Secretary, which I thoroughly enjoyed more than I ever thought I would

...until season 6. Who the hell thought mapping the inane, self-inflicted problems of the Trump presidency onto characters that spend five seasons debating morality and right and wrong was a good idea? And an entire season of making GBS threads on everyone was basically resolved in 5 minutes of screen time in the penultimate episode and suddenly everyone loves President McCord again! Let’s now marry two random characters without on screen chemistry together

Sounds like typical prime time big studio drama.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Madame Secretary got 6 seasons?! I remember seeing ads for it when it was new but assumed it just died off after 1 or 2 seasons.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ishamael posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Cobra Kai, and I wanted to hate it. It's an attempt to cash in on one of my favorite movies from my childhood, made for YouTube Premium or whatever the gently caress. But man, I am so into it.

The setup is great, of course that is where these guys ended up. I wish Elizabeth Shue and Mr Miyagi were in it, but fame and death make that unlikely. I'm definitely in for a bit to see how it goes, it is better than I expected.

Also, I love that Johnny is still trying to be 80s-cool. Snapping the beer cap across the room, driving his Firebird, talking about GNR. I knew that guy in the 80s, and I still know a couple of those guys. It's perfect.

The entire first season is just amazingly good, way way better than it has a right to be.

The second is also very good, but the first is a hard act to follow.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I started the boys the other day and was like where have I seen him before... OH MY GOD IT'S KEVIN FROM BANSHEE!

Anthony Starr is really versatile.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm finally watching Bosch, most of the way through season three. In the current milieu of American justice it can be difficult at times to root for "a tough cop who goes off-script to support justice over red tape," but the performances are solid and I really appreciate little touches to supporting characters. It gives the sense that everyone who has a line at any point has a deeply-defined history and personality.

I also binged through the first three episodes of the second season of The Boys. Still a bit edgelord, but entertaining enough.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Been letting Superstore play in the background as my half hour sitcom and while admittedly I haven't been giving it my full attention it seems pretty bland.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Red Bones posted:

I've been watching Wynonna Earp on netflix and it's not very good, but the cowboy in it is very hot and it's got some funny jokes in it, so it's good enough for me to half-watch it while I'm doing other stuff. I have only seen season one, does it get worse or does it get better?

No it does not get better. Everyone is pretty and quippy but the plot always feels weirdly random and a lot of character development seems made up as it goes along ( x arrives out of nowhere, turns out they are related to y character, but never mentioned before! Or X has a terrible experience in their past that has never been hinted at before but is now a major plot point).

(Very similar to Lost Girl season 2-5)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I've been chaining Poldark in the background, pretty people and gorgeous costumes but it's quite thinly plotted and very soap operaish. How did you not see literally evil characters betrayal coming! What's this? Poldark wibbly wobbly over his ex, again!

I did enjoy Warrior Nun far more than I should have, given I am a 40 y o baggage.
It's kinda season one Buffy level, with demons instead of vampires, and extra lesbians. Points for a beautiful setting, a diverse cast, and kicking the annoyingly childish Chosen One off a cliff.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

TMMadman posted:

Been letting Superstore play in the background as my half hour sitcom and while admittedly I haven't been giving it my full attention it seems pretty bland.

Superstore is the warm blanket of sitcoms, its just nice and cosy and really makes a lovely day slightly better.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Superstore is the warm blanket of sitcoms, its just nice and cosy and really makes a lovely day slightly better.

I enjoyed it well enough for the first two seasons, but I thought that season 3 took a big nose-dive All of the characters turned very 1-dimensional in season 3, becoming more mean-spirited and focusing on how *wacky* they are. Did anyone else feel this way? I bailed before the end of season 3.

I actually liked some of the stuff they focused on in season 1, particularly between the two lead characters. A show about different people stuck working at a lousy big box store, unable to pursue the life they really want but finding moments of joy in the tedium, has potential for good story-telling.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Sloth Life posted:

I've been chaining Poldark in the background, pretty people and gorgeous costumes but it's quite thinly plotted and very soap operaish. How did you not see literally evil characters betrayal coming! What's this? Poldark wibbly wobbly over his ex, again!
Between George being cartoonishly evil and Ross Poldark being a god damned idiot, I can only conclude that we're supposed to be rooting for Demelza.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 8, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Poldark was a prime time soap opera, nothing more. It had interesting ideas but the writing and characters were shallow.

DorianGravy posted:

I enjoyed it well enough for the first two seasons, but I thought that season 3 took a big nose-dive All of the characters turned very 1-dimensional in season 3, becoming more mean-spirited and focusing on how *wacky* they are. Did anyone else feel this way? I bailed before the end of season 3.

I actually liked some of the stuff they focused on in season 1, particularly between the two lead characters. A show about different people stuck working at a lousy big box store, unable to pursue the life they really want but finding moments of joy in the tedium, has potential for good story-telling.

Not just you, the more it became the America Ferrera show the worse it got. It's not that she's a bad character or bad actress, but her influence as a producer made the show too much about Amy to the detriment of the other characters and their dynamic. There was the failed and abandoned attempt make a statement about immigration. People going all out to help Mateo who is the most obnoxious and unlikable character on the show. It just didn't work. Also not nearly enough Bo Derek.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

wormil posted:

Not just you, the more it became the America Ferrera show the worse it got. It's not that she's a bad character or bad actress, but her influence as a producer made the show too much about Amy to the detriment of the other characters and their dynamic. There was the failed and abandoned attempt make a statement about immigration. People going all out to help Mateo who is the most obnoxious and unlikable character on the show. It just didn't work. Also not nearly enough Bo Derek.

I really didn't mind stuff with Amy or Mateo. I think most of the characters became 1-dimension, and the show was often mean.

Take Sandra for example. She starts out as a soft-spoken character who has no confidence in herself, but she's portrayed in a somewhat realistic way. I feel like she could be a real person. The natural character arc is for her to find her voice and confidence. Connecting with Jerry and marrying him is a good step in that direction. But in later seasons she becomes "the character who loudly says sexual fantasies at inappropriate times" and Jerry's story line ends in a really mean way. At that point, I no longer thought Sandra seemed like a real person. She seems like a vessel for weird jokes so the rest of the characters can look briefly uncomfortable.

I'm just using Sandra as an example. I felt a lot of characters regressed to a simple, often-annoying stereotype.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sloth Life posted:

No it does not get better. Everyone is pretty and quippy but the plot always feels weirdly random and a lot of character development seems made up as it goes along ( x arrives out of nowhere, turns out they are related to y character, but never mentioned before! Or X has a terrible experience in their past that has never been hinted at before but is now a major plot point).

(Very similar to Lost Girl season 2-5)

Yeah I dropped it halfway through season 2 after I got tired of the constant stream of random plot twists. The cast is good enough that I wish they'd just pick a plot and go steady with it for a while and let the story breathe a bit more. Instead, episode 5 of a 12 episode season has like, a character getting cured of a disease, a different character getting cured of possession, a major character dying, a secret organisation suddenly vanishing from the earth, another secret organisation being introduced, and a sudden pregnancy, all in the space of about forty minutes.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Nobel. Norwegian political-military drama.

It's nicely done! It's tightly written around realpolitik with intelligent characters. US Netflix. One season.

Also, I like the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-tKbnakMk8

If you enjoyed that you should really watch Occupied next. Also on Netflix. Also a norwegian political-military drama. Very good and I keep recommending it to this thread and haven't seen anybody else post about it yet.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

wormil posted:

My wife and I couldn't get past about 6 or 8 episodes. Part of the problem was that the Ferrera character just wasn't funny at all.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Finished Bosch season 1. It's good but not great. The writing is a little wonky, it seems like every episode has a few lines that are poorly written and out of place. Had to google Jamie Hector to realize he was in the Wire. I don't think he's very good in this, his delivery just seems off like he's struggling with his accent.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It has some of the clunkiness you'd expect from a 20 year old sitcom but Better Off Ted is still a good chill watch.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

showbiz_liz posted:

It has some of the clunkiness you'd expect from a 20 year old sitcom but Better Off Ted is still a good chill watch.

Better Off Ted was on of the best comedies of the 2000s. It was the true heir to Arrested Development. Also it's only 11 years old. It was canceled a decade ago.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In a similar vein, Party Down and Happy Endings are well worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All three of those are some of my favorite sitcoms. Santa Clarita Diet was made by the Better Off Ted people and has a similar pacing and humor, but with zombies.

I still think Better Off Ted failed due to it's very stupid name. Everyone I told to watch loved it, but never gave it a chance because the promos and name sounded dumb. Is it streaming anywhere?