Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Knicks

Current Roster
Head Coach: Thom Thibodeau
Assistant coach: Mike Woodson
PG: Elfrid Payton, Dennis Smith Jr., Frank Ntilikina
SG: Wayne Ellington, Reggie Bullock, Damyean Dotson, Theo Pinson
SF: Maurice Harkless, R.J. Barrett, Kevin Knox, Ignas Brazdeikis
PF: Julius Randle, Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson
C: Mitchell Robinson

The Season
Sucked rear end. Marcus Morris was the best player on the team until they shipped him off for nothing. The rest of the season was hand offs on the arc while different untalented ball handlers tried to drive for a flailing lay up. Julius Randle spent every game spinning while occasionally taking a spin cycle off to clank a three. R.J. tried real hard on defense but looked like Kevin Knox on offense which brings me to the next point that Kevin Knox sucks rear end. Dennis Smith Jr. took a huge step back and plays with zero confidence. Reggie and Wayne took turns playing the injured vet role that's really good at 3 point shooting you guys I swear. Bobby Portis is too good for this team and also stuck behind the only decent prospect the Knicks have. Mitchell Robinson is too good for this team and also stuck behind the only decent starter the Knicks have. Elfrid Payton took the PG reins and ran with it as his competition couldn't shoot or couldn't dribble, or both. He actually looked pretty decent. None of this matters anyway because this team was designed to be blown up.

RFAs
Damyean Dotson

UFAs
Maurice Harkless

Team Options
Bobby Portis
Theo Pinson

Draft
Fell in the draft but it doesn't matter since this draft sucks. Will take some lovely Euro that will be traded within a year.

Next year

Identical as this year. The Knicks designed this team to be competent enough to attract free agents and also be jettisoned for the 2021 free agency. Unfortunately everyone else knows that which is why they got peanuts for Marcus Morris. Mo Harkless will be reupped for a trade friendly contract to a team that views him as a good bench presence for some reason and Portis will be picked up just to be shipped off 10 games into the season. The Knicks will try and fail to attract Giannis while all the big named free agents will accept their player options. They'll end up breaking the bank on a big three of like Lamarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gobert, and Chris Paul. This is after they give up Mitch and Barrett in some sort of weird sign and trade for Chris Paul, which both will realize that the NBA is actually fun after getting out from underneath Thibodeau and Woodson's clutches.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I wonder if Schröder will be on the team when the season starts

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Can't wait to see what they cook up for the Nuggs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

I wonder if Schröder will be on the team when the season starts

I guess they need guys who can score but I'd be trying hard to sell high there, especially if they're going to move CP3 and full on tank for Cade. not that playing schroeder a lot would really prevent a tank but might as well see if you can get something for him coming off his best season

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
An OKC person would need to correct me, but I thought the Thunder were doing a ton of stuff with Schroder for marketing? I assume the plan was Shroeder and SGA backcourt and build from there.

I agree though, this would be as high as you can sell Schroder.

edit: vvvv Very good point

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 10, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He wouldn't be the first highly marketed 6th man okc traded

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

If the bulls can DNP rondo on his own bobblehead night, anything can happen. No loyalty in this business

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Nice thread full of good videos https://twitter.com/CoachWatBTW/status/1301147437202104323?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
wow metapod done defending russ??????

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

pro click

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Congratulations to the Raptors for hitting what was considered to be their start-of-season ceiling, and leaving us feeling like they could've done more.

There will probably be a few changes in the offseason, especially at centre. Excited to see what they do.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Sans

Our main takeaways from this season are as follows:

The group we went into the bubble with balled the gently caress out. Cam Johnson, mikal bridges, and yeah cam payne all played great in the bubble. Bridges especially. These dudes fit with what we need around booker.

Ayton has to be more consistent, on court and off. Even if dude has been good so far, which he has, you’re still the guy we picked over doncic and we can’t afford to have him missing a quarter of the season again.

It’s not clear how oubre fits with this team now. He’s a good energy guy and is a good third option but we saw how smoothly things went without him in the bubble. For the amount of money he’s making we can’t really justify him coming off the bench. Is Rubio - Booker - Oubre - Bridges - Ayton workable for a full season to make a run at the playoffs?

As far as free agents go, Baynes is probably gone which is a shame because I’d love to have that dude back. I think he showed enough shooting ability that somebody is going to think he can be their Brook lopez and pony up serious cash for him. Hopefully I’m wrong though. Dario Saric was an awesome second unit leader and is an RFA, def need to bring him back. Jevon carter is also an rfa and we’d best not let him walk either, dude has great energy. Get frank the tank the gently caress out of here. Cam payne can stay too.

Suns fans on Reddit are coveting lauri markannen and Christian wood. Lauri would be cool. Not into wood. I like what we have now but I’m not sure it’s enough to sneak past whoever is in the 8 spot next year. Portland? Memphis? Eh. We need to upgrade but it will probably have to be through trading oubre.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Mmmm I would much rather have Christian Wood than Lauri Markannen

He's better at nearly everything at this point and he's still only 24 so he's not way older than Lauri. Detroit will probably end up trying hard to keep him though

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1304954813529063424?s=19

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is Wes Wilcox one of the racist ones? I forget

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

morestuff posted:

Is Wes Wilcox one of the racist ones? I forget

I was trying to remember and found this

quote:

"I know you guys may be angry with me, but I'm used to it because I have a black wife and three mixed kids, so I'm used to people being angry and argumentative," Wilcox said
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2685602-hawks-gm-wes-wilcox-makes-racially-insensitive-joke-at-fan-event

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

Hawks season-ticket holder Clarenton Crawford was in attendance and provided details of an exchange with Wilcox. Crawford suggested the team replace head coach Mike Budenholzer with Mark Jackson as part of a series of questions that caused tension to rise

That seems way more offensive tbh

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Adam Silver sighing so hard he might give himself an aneurysm.
https://twitter.com/2Cool2BIog/status/1305017080421457920?s=19
https://twitter.com/JohnWall/status/1305184758964654080?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

just boolin on the blokk nothing to see here

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Declan MacManus posted:

just boolin on the blokk nothing to see here

... Bradley Beal

Just throwing that out there

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

also shoutout to john wall for having the emotional maturity to rock uk colors

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/Threezy3e/status/1305026798489534464

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I went to the tradenba site to see if Buddy for Draymond worked (it does - I’m not quite sure how I really feel about it), and a lot of people are shopping Oladipo for Buddy. Not a firm believer in Oladipo, especially with injury history, but I’m not the biggest Buddy fan either.

I forgot GSW has Wiggins though so my idea of moving Klay up to the 3 is falling through. Kings really really need a defensive identity though

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Draymond for Buddy would be robbery, and I think I value Draymond more than most people here. Draymond is kinda worthless for a team like the Kings.

Wiggins can guard the 4 ok. I mean, he's bad wherever but he defended the 4 every now and then in MN and he was fine. He's 6'8 with a 7' wingspan and he's reasonably strong. It'll depend a lot on what Klay looks like when the season starts though, they might need Wiggins to chase around wings more.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You’re right. I’m pretty disgusted with myself for even considering. As a wolves fan, I bet you can relate with my desperation for a defensive identity however.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
More words and multiple videos at the link: https://theathletic.com/2079271/202..._shared_article

quote:

[...]

With uncertainty surrounding how much money will be available under the salary cap next season, it’s too early for Ball or the Pelicans to take a stance on extension talks. But from what we’ve seen, most players making the move to Klutch are doing it for one of two reasons: They want to get paid or they want to get moved.

It’s unlikely Ball would be trying to pull out the nuclear option this early in the process. He still has too much to prove.

[...]

Ball distributes the ball differently than most of the pick-and-roll-heavy point guards. Even as one of the best stand-still passers in the league, Ball needs to become more of a threat to get to the basket when plays break down. Offensive sets tend to break down even more against the pressure of postseason defense, so having a point guard who can make something out of nothing becomes even more important later in the season.

However, Ball was one of the worst guards in the league this past season when it came to making plays off the dribble. Per NBA.com, Ball registered just 359 drives this year in over 2,000 minutes of playing time. The only other “guard” to play at least 2,000 minutes and come up with fewer drives to the basket was Tim Hardaway Jr. (271).

Ball was also sixth on his team in points in the paint (281) — slightly above E’Twaun Moore — and he shot 59 percent at the rim, according to Cleaning The Glass, which ranks him in the 47th percentile among guards.

[...]

Ball somehow only attempted 76 free throws in 63 games this season. That’s just a little over one free throw per game. That’s the kind of numbers you would expect from Kyle Korver, not a starting point guard. Plus, he’s shooting a woeful 48.7 percent from the charity stripe for his career, and that’s after making a career-best 56.6 percent in 2019-20.

For perspective, Ball has attempted 195 free throws in the first three seasons of his career. Zion Williamson has shot 178 free throws in his first 24 games.

[...]

According to NBA.com, the Pelicans had a net rating of plus-9.8, a promising figure, when Ball and Williamson shared the floor. But in lineups that featured the rookie phenom without Ball, the Pelicans got outscored by a whopping 13.1 points per 100 possessions. It’s a relatively small sample size, but that’sa tremendous drop-off.

Zion’s individual numbers don’t necessarily dip without Ball, but there is a big shift in the way he gets his shots and how often they come in transition without his lead point guard out there.

[...]

Ball assisted on 70 of Zion’s 210 field goals this season. That’s right, one out of every three baskets Williamson made this year came off a Ball pass. There are times when we’re able to recognize how different the synergy is between certain 1-2 combinations, and it was hard not to notice with Ball and Williamson from the moment they started playing together.

[...]

Based on comparable numbers, it seems logical for a Ball extension to fall somewhere between $15 million-$18 million annually. If we go off the Terry Rozier contract from last year, that figure probably isn’t enough.

With the possibility that the cap falls next year, maybe Ball decides he doesn’t want a new deal until the league is able to smooth things out financially going into the 2021-22 season. The Pelicans would still have the ball in their court because he’d be a restricted free agent. They passed on giving Ingram an extension and it worked out for everyone involved because Ingram had a career season; he stayed healthy all year; and he maintained a strong relationship with the front office/ownership despite not getting a deal.

That last part is where we’ve seen teams ruin their relationships with star players in the past. Some have viewed their organization’s hesitancy to offer an extension as a slight. And Josh Hart also is extension-eligible this offseason. Regardless of how talks go, it’s always important to ensure players feel valued.

[...]

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I wouldn't give Ball an extension this offseason, the cap uncertainty alone is a reason not to lock guys early. If Lonzo can keep shooting 35%+ from outside he's worth $20m a year easy. He's got Rubio-disease in that his finishing at the rim is a real problem, but I think he brings a lot to that lineup.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Rondo drove to the basket even when he couldn't finish. Lonzo doesn't even make the attempt.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lonzo can't dribble

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I wouldn't give Ball an extension this offseason, the cap uncertainty alone is a reason not to lock guys early. If Lonzo can keep shooting 35%+ from outside he's worth $20m a year easy. He's got Rubio-disease in that his finishing at the rim is a real problem, but I think he brings a lot to that lineup.

That seems like a lot for a catch and shooter and and a transition passer.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lonzo Can't Ball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

That seems like a lot for a catch and shooter and and a transition passer.

Metapod posted:

Lonzo Can't Ball

In general Pelicans were way better with him on the floor than not, and Lonzo is also a very, very good defender in ways most Point Guards aren't.

Also 20m is like, Terry Rozier money.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Lonzo isn't a PG. He's a 3+D guard that brings great stationary passing. Don't think that is really worth Rozier money.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Rozier's not really that good of a point guard either, unfortunately

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rozier is a way better shooter and everyone thinks that contract is idiotic anyway

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

lonzo sucks and only makes sense to sign if you have 2 other guys in your starting line up who can playmake in the half court better than him. i don't see him getting more than like 15 mil unless he pulls a jabari parker and gets a one year prove-it deal

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
This says what I have thought for a few years now but much more succinctly than I have been able to:

https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1308493650566017026?s=20

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Where will all the tall stiffs go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Metapod posted:

Where will all the tall stiffs go

we can start an American handball league