Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The advantage of ZFS is that you know which files get corrupted thanks to the eventual URE, unless your disks all die catastrophically - so restoring from backup is a bit easier than rebuilding the entire array.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I know it's really straightforward but I don't think I know how to think about this. I have a Syno DS218+ (which has two drive bays) and I now have three hard drives:

A. One new 12tb
B. One 4tb with household files and backups on it (don't worry they're also offsite to Glacier and various cloud services). A Seagate ST4000DM000 which I'm sure is 7 years old and has been doing NAS duty for almost two of those years.
C. One 4tb with media. A WD RED WD40EFRX which I can't find a store page for but I think it's only a couple of years old.

I'd like to move the whole mess over to the 12tb and then repurpose the media drive. Currently, here's my plan:

1. Remove volume 1, which was just on drive B, from the NAS and put the 12tb in its place. This went fine and the NAS started up as expected.
2. Create a new volume which is just the 12tb disk. Disk A and B now have "volume 1"s on them. This may cause issues.
3. Move all the shared folders from C to A. (or from volume 2 to volume 1). This is currently happening.
4. Remove C from NAS and replace with B.
5. From B, I plan to move all the shared stuff. The only problem is that this drive also contains all my Synology packages. I've gone through SSH and just copied the whole @appstore directory (directions here), but they're currently reporting errors and I've just left them like that. I expect that it'll work better with drive B back in the NAS.

Currently, I've lost no data or anything. When I'm done, this should give me an empty drive B and C, and ideally I'd swap out B for C since B is probably going to die soonish, but it's like, my NAS's "system drive" whatever that means to a synology.

Edit: Is there a less crazy way to do this? Everything I read imagines I have a RAID setup and I don't. Though the old volume 1 did default itself to a raid configuration across both 4tb drives, which I then broke to make the other drive into volume 2 and ever since it's been giving me a warning about my "degraded volume" and I'd love to be rid of that since I know what I'm risking here.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 5, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would buy a another 12TB disk and raid1 them.

Because you're not going to do that:

Stop. Take your currently full 2x 4TB disks out and set them aside. Put in your 12TB disk and follow the factory reset procedure and install synology on there. Let it boot up from that. Now add your 4tb disks 1 at a time to the enclosure, copy the files, and remove them. Next, buy another 12TB disk.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Man I still love the poo poo out of Stablebit Drivepool. Sure I might loose some space since not RAID whatever but peace of mind is maxed out. Also I very much enjoy the instant expanding of the pool.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I would buy a another 12TB disk and raid1 them.

Because you're not going to do that:

Stop. Take your currently full 2x 4TB disks out and set them aside. Put in your 12TB disk and follow the factory reset procedure and install synology on there. Let it boot up from that. Now add your 4tb disks 1 at a time to the enclosure, copy the files, and remove them. Next, buy another 12TB disk.

Oh I guess that is a simpler way. I thought I could also RAID the 12 with one of the 4s, then wait for the mirroring to complete and remove the 4, putting another 12 in there to repair/expand the volume and get the full 12tb out of it. Is that incorrect?

I can’t really do either of these things because I don’t have the ~250CAD for another big drive right now. :(

tuyop fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 5, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

Oh I guess that is a simpler way. I thought I could also RAID the 12 to one of the 4s, then wait for the mirroring to complete and remove the 4, putting another 12 in there to repair/expand the volume and get the full 12tb out of it. Is that incorrect?

I can’t really do either of these things because I don’t have the ~250CAD for another big drive right now. :(

Honestly I don't know how it all works in non-SHR situations, there is no reason it wouldn't work but I wouldn't bother given you have a way to do it without touching your single-copy disks. Why bother hoping the synology does it correctly when you can just copy the files over using their UI?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Actually you guys have been really helpful, so thank you.

At this point I've definitely spent way more time moving bendy straws in my head than it would have taken to just copy and then reinstall and reconfigure some packages if they end up broken by the process. As usual, the brute force method will end up faster than the partially automated method.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
This is kind of a newbie question, I think, but here goes. In 2011 I set up a DNS-323 in RAID1 with two 2TB WD drives as a way for my wife and I to throw our research files (PhD nerdz) and photos. It's run fine but I was thinking in the back of my mind that I should replace the drives sometime. It was a lot of space at the time but somehow we haven't outgrown it. We don't use anything like Plex much but it was handy having something on our network that any PC (two desktops and at least a couple laptops over that time) can use. In the meantime I set up a Backblaze B2 account and back up the drive with Cloudberry.

In one of the recent Windows updates our laptop noted that the drive uses SMB1 and it's a bad idea to use, automatically disabling it (requiring manual enabling to use at all). This was kind of mystifying since neither of our desktops complained and have the same Windows updates. I feel dumb not hearing about this, but as a not-particularly-savvy consumer I don't know how I would have been notified sooner - maybe I missed it, I guess. DLINK certainly didn't say anything. What would be the best way to replace it? 2 TB is still fine for this storage, so I'm wondering if an external SSD would be okay - I noticed there were a few suggested a page or two ago, and while it's more expensive than new drives, presumably I need a new NAS and new drives at this point.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Smb is just the network protocol for sharing the drive and if you're the only users on the network it should be fine. Otherwise you might be able to set a higher version of the protocol on the server, maybe after installing the latest update. No need to replace the whole thing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BabyFur Denny posted:

Smb is just the network protocol for sharing the drive and if you're the only users on the network it should be fine. Otherwise you might be able to set a higher version of the protocol on the server, maybe after installing the latest update. No need to replace the whole thing
Nope, the DNS-323's official firmware releases use Samba version 3.0.something and the latest version of the community-developed "Alt-F" firmware (https://sites.google.com/site/altfirmware/) seems to use version 3.5. SMB2 support was added to Samba in version 3.6 and SMB3 in version 4.0, so it doesn't seem like that particular product can support anything newer.

The Alt-F firmware adds support for a few other protocols, but nothing that would be easily used from a Windows PC as a shared drive.

I'd say it's time to retire it. A Raspberry Pi 4 with some USB hard drive enclosures would probably be the cheapest solution and would almost certainly outperform the D-Link, but if DIY isn't your thing then any modern commercial appliance should also be good.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Perhaps a Synology DS220+ and a pair of decent NAS drives. Avoid the WD Reds with the SMR process. (google it, it's readily available info, and Synology does not support them.) If going for lower end storage tiers, the Ironwolf drives by Seagate are good. And DSM (the OS for Synology) is very user friendly.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Some easystores on sale

14TB back down to $229.99 (ebay). They've been at $260 for awhile.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vir posted:

What are the most cost effective JBOD rack cabinets, mini-SAS or otherwise? The ones from Dell look nice, and I see Supermicro makes them too, but for a non-profit with low budgets I wonder if DIY'ing something might be more cost effective. I know the opportunity cost of volunteer labor isn't 0, but still.

The absolute cheapest JBOD 2.5" I've found (and own) is this at $50, includes power adapter and some cooling fan in the "lid". It works quite well and hasn't died on me in 9 months + moving across town, if that's worth anything

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0711L68MS

I guess they make a raid capable model for $90, but I can't speak for that one as it's not cheap enough for my cheap assedness

At $50 shipped with power adapter I dunno if you can even DIY something for cheaper

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is that a fan button or a nuclear detonation button :haw:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I always wanted to try something with Raspberry Pi, so I'll look into it. I'll keep the Synology in mind, too. This thread is always super helpful, so I appreciate the advice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Coming off of that, I assume that a Pi4 should be fine for NFS/SMB duties since they ungoobered the USB/Ethernet stuff? I resurrected my old desktop setup for server duties and I'm debating just letting the drives live there and network mounting on the more powerful machine.

And coming off the coming off, am I losing a noticeable amount of throughput by having the machines not hooked into the same switch? Outside of what I can see via tracert that is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Warbird posted:

Coming off of that, I assume that a Pi4 should be fine for NFS/SMB duties since they ungoobered the USB/Ethernet stuff? I resurrected my old desktop setup for server duties and I'm debating just letting the drives live there and network mounting on the more powerful machine.
Correct, it doesn't really take much CPU power to serve file shares. The Pi was previously bottlenecked as a DIY NAS by the fact that all the relevant I/O shared a single USB 2.0 interface to the host SoC, but the 4 finally fixed this with a SoC that has Ethernet built in plus a PCIe-based USB 3.0 controller.

At this point the bottleneck should be Gigabit Ethernet itself.

quote:

And coming off the coming off, am I losing a noticeable amount of throughput by having the machines not hooked into the same switch? Outside of what I can see via tracert that is.
There should be no meaningful difference unless the links between switches are congested with other traffic. Switches themselves should not impact the usable bandwidth across the link unless they're configured to do so in some way (QoS, port speed limits, etc.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Awesome, I should be able to keep the SSD from exploding via log2ram so I’m in business until I can talk the wife into sourcing a dedicated solution. Just need to remember the right formatting for the FSTAB file and I can get stoopid.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a FreeNAS server that runs a VM for Plex and usenet automation. It has a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O motherboard https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...N82E16813182819

Earlier this year I installed two Noctua NF-R8 PWM fans since the last non-PWM fans started whining. Now the fans consistently spin up and slow down. I looked in the manual and saw that I can control the fans in IPMI https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C222/MNL-1428.pdf

I login to IPMI and there's a fan setting. It's set to Standard so I switched it to Full Speed and then the fans are always at full. If I set to Optimal or Standard it spins up and down.

The weird part is that for a long while they were at their regular speed for no reason. Lately it's spinning up and down more. A few times I could just reset the server and it would stop, but it would be back in the morning. Now nothing seems to work. It's driving me crazy since I sit right next to it! Please help!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
you could use a couple of the noctua low-noise adapters and leave them running full speed

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a question that's tangential to NAS. It's not about it directly, but I have a feeling there's going to be overlap between what I want to know and the people posting here.

I have a media PC set up in my living room. It's a full W10 environment, just like at your normal computer. I've got a full wireless mouse and keyboard out there, but I don't use them often because they're unwieldly. Mostly I use one of those all-in-one keyboard things like this (but not this exact model):

It mostly sucks. The track pad is disappointing and the m1/m2 buttons are really poorly located. I'd like to replace it with something much more reliable and accurate. In an ideal world, the mouse control and m1/m2 would be operable at the same time, so that I can hold my kid in one hand and start a video with the other.

Do you guys have any suggestions on all-in-one keyboards for your media PCs?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I don’t but there’s a dedicated HTPC thread that might help. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I have a FreeNAS server that runs a VM for Plex and usenet automation. It has a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O motherboard https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...N82E16813182819

Earlier this year I installed two Noctua NF-R8 PWM fans since the last non-PWM fans started whining. Now the fans consistently spin up and slow down. I looked in the manual and saw that I can control the fans in IPMI https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C222/MNL-1428.pdf

I login to IPMI and there's a fan setting. It's set to Standard so I switched it to Full Speed and then the fans are always at full. If I set to Optimal or Standard it spins up and down.

The weird part is that for a long while they were at their regular speed for no reason. Lately it's spinning up and down more. A few times I could just reset the server and it would stop, but it would be back in the morning. Now nothing seems to work. It's driving me crazy since I sit right next to it! Please help!

https://calvin.me/quick-how-to-decrease-ipmi-fan-threshold

Does this help with what you have? I remembered bookmarking that years ago trying to fix my Noctuas being waaaaaaay too fast on my X11SSL.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?resources/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.20/ seems to have some info on undocumented commands with which you can change the fan speeds manually. If you leave it set to automatic mode it'll eventually start changing things on its own again, but if you set the BMC to full fan speed and then manually turn them down from there it won't mess with things under normal circumstances.

edit:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Use a frontend with a 10 foot UI designed for use on a TV. The standard PC desktop was just not designed for this and you're never going to have as good of an experience. A normal keyboard and mouse should not be required for basic media playback.

Plex is the favorite over in the HTPC thread and Kodi is still very popular with those of us who have been doing this a long time. There's also Emby and Jellyfin.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 8, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've got a question that's tangential to NAS. It's not about it directly, but I have a feeling there's going to be overlap between what I want to know and the people posting here.

I have a media PC set up in my living room. It's a full W10 environment, just like at your normal computer. I've got a full wireless mouse and keyboard out there, but I don't use them often because they're unwieldly. Mostly I use one of those all-in-one keyboard things like this (but not this exact model):

It mostly sucks. The track pad is disappointing and the m1/m2 buttons are really poorly located. I'd like to replace it with something much more reliable and accurate. In an ideal world, the mouse control and m1/m2 would be operable at the same time, so that I can hold my kid in one hand and start a video with the other.

Comedy option: use this and a regular wireless kb+m

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hughlander posted:

I don’t but there’s a dedicated HTPC thread that might help. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006
Ah I looked for one specifically here in SHSC but didn't see it. Thanks

wolrah posted:

Use a frontend with a 10 foot UI designed for use on a TV. The standard PC desktop was just not designed for this and you're never going to have as good of an experience. A normal keyboard and mouse should not be required for basic media playback.

Plex is the favorite over in the HTPC thread and Kodi is still very popular with those of us who have been doing this a long time. There's also Emby and Jellyfin.
I've got Plex installed, but I do a lot of assorted tasks. I'll watch local video files, but I'll also watch Netflix and YouTube, and occasionally look up odds and ends on Firefox too. It also runs a Terraria server that I touch occasionally, etc. I fully understand there's limits on how good it's going to feel. I just want the best tool for my use case, even if it isn't an ideal use case.

power move

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 8, 2020

brains
May 12, 2004

i have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XGKZMKF

works decently on a raspberry pi in a similar setup. it's small and thin so i just tuck it away on a shelf when i don't need it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Web TV keyboard or bust

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

movax posted:

https://calvin.me/quick-how-to-decrease-ipmi-fan-threshold

Does this help with what you have? I remembered bookmarking that years ago trying to fix my Noctuas being waaaaaaay too fast on my X11SSL.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this sounds like a way to let your fans run at low speed without getting warnings?

wolrah posted:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?resources/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.20/ seems to have some info on undocumented commands with which you can change the fan speeds manually. If you leave it set to automatic mode it'll eventually start changing things on its own again, but if you set the BMC to full fan speed and then manually turn them down from there it won't mess with things under normal circumstances.

So is this saying it sets the fans to Full but then redefines Full as say 75% or something? It sounds like a software way of just disabling the PWM functionality since it will be fixed at that speed percent.

Paul MaudDib posted:

you could use a couple of the noctua low-noise adapters and leave them running full speed

This sounds like a hardware way of doing the above quoted post. https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SRC7-Low-Noise-Adaptor-Cables/dp/B00KG3KP1U Spending $8 seems like the easiest way.

Interesting that the options all seem to remove the point of having PWM fans. The airflow is terrible in this case, so FreeNAS always bitches about my harddrives being hot. Thought the PWM could help with that but oh well.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this sounds like a way to let your fans run at low speed without getting warnings?

So is this saying it sets the fans to Full but then redefines Full as say 75% or something? It sounds like a software way of just disabling the PWM functionality since it will be fixed at that speed percent.

This sounds like a hardware way of doing the above quoted post. https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SRC7-Low-Noise-Adaptor-Cables/dp/B00KG3KP1U Spending $8 seems like the easiest way.

Interesting that the options all seem to remove the point of having PWM fans. The airflow is terrible in this case, so FreeNAS always bitches about my harddrives being hot. Thought the PWM could help with that but oh well.

That’s what the dude wrote the article for, but my fuzzy memory has me thinking I used some variants there to both not have my fans running 100%, and also to not keep oscillating in speed, because the Noctuas spin slower and then the mobo thinks they’re failing / spins everything to 100%.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The truth of it is that server boards (especially supermicro's) are not really intended to have the fans micromanaged. The board layout and design assumes passive coolers and craptons of airflow, with no concessions being made for noise.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

brains posted:

i have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XGKZMKF

works decently on a raspberry pi in a similar setup. it's small and thin so i just tuck it away on a shelf when i don't need it.

You mean to tell me that a no-name chinese brand sells wireless keyboards that default to F-keys instead of fixed media functions without needing to install any kind of stupid system-side software.... something Logitech stupidly refuses to do on any of their poo poo?

Sweet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I use an xbox one controller with chatpad, and run gopher360 to allow mouse and cursor control.
I also have a normal wireless mouse for easy browsing/precise selection

I'm pretty happy with that combo tbh, as I play a fair few games with the controller anyway

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You mean to tell me that a no-name chinese brand sells wireless keyboards that default to F-keys instead of fixed media functions without needing to install any kind of stupid system-side software.... something Logitech stupidly refuses to do on any of their poo poo?

Sweet.

That right there is almost enough to make me want to replace my Logitech K400. Love this thing aside from that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enos Cabell posted:

That right there is almost enough to make me want to replace my Logitech K400. Love this thing aside from that.

I specifically got the Pro version of the K400 to have proper F-keys as the default.

It's not a great keyboard, but it's one hell of a remote control.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

It doesn't redefine full, it controls the actual speed setting. Setting it to Full just prevents the BMC from changing the setting except possibly in alarm conditions. If you leave it in automatic mode it'll eventually change the setting based on its predefined behavior which you've already determined isn't desirable for your application.

It wouldn't be too hard to write a script that polled the temperature sensors every X time period and set the fan speed as you'd like. There's a script linked at the bottom of the post that does something close.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If you guys are running Kodi on an HTPC checkout the Yatse android app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Forgive the basic question, but it's been driving me nuts for a couple of days now. This isn't helped by my solving this once every couple of years and promptly forgetting until it breaks again.

What's the most idiot proof way to share mounts over NFS that allows for the client to have free reign over the shared directory structures? I know that may not be best practice but for my use case it's going to be the smallest pain in the butt.

The host dirs are nobody:nogroup'd and 777'd, but the client machine only sees a subset upon mounting the share locally. The export file reads:
code:
/media 192.168.0.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
I assume I need to tweak that to have clients access as pi/root, but I'm open to suggestions.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
The ol' Cyberpower UPS on my NAS PC is reaching EOL. Looking to replace it.

One thing I noticed in my research is that UPS devices tend to have less surge protection than higher-end dedicated surge protectors. This APC, for example, cites 1080 joules. But I can get a SurgeArrest with 4320 joules.

There is a lot of "information" out there about not daisy chaining surge protectors and UPS devices. (FWIW, I have been doing this for ages on my main PC setup without issues. There's barely any outlets in this house. Which also means the PCs are all on the same circuits as window A/Cs, etc, so good surge protection is especially prudent.)

Is this just a "dummy clause" against plugging too much poo poo into a single UPS/outlet/circuit and overloading?

The UPS will be well oversized for my usage, and the only current-drawing device will be the NAS PC. Is there some hidden danger if I were to go Wall <-- UPS <-- SurgeArrest <-- NAS for an extra layer of joule protection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
why do you think it's reaching EOL? I'd swap the battery and keep using it.