Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Huh that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Part of me hopes for a comedy option board that can run either DDR4 or DDR5 but not both at once, like in the transition to DDR2 days.
I built a system on one of those boards(open box, lol), so I could use spare DDR I had lying around. It was for a friend that was broke and wanted to play WoW with me and some friends. Between the open box Duron, refurb Radeon X600 and literally the cheapest case with an included power supply at CompUSA, he had a ridiculously capable machine for like 75 bucks.

So much so that a friend with a top of the line Dell with a P4HT got jealous because WoW ran like dog poo poo on it’s included FX5200 or MX440 or whatever POS was in that thing that he had me order another dirt cheap X600 for him immediately and was so pissed at the difference a $40 GPU made and the fact that they’d even sell him such trash for the express purpose of gaming as that GPU was so cheap relative to the total price tag of his system.

The problem is nowadays motherboard manufacturers would put so much of a premium on such a niche goofball comedy mobo that it’d hardly be worth it. Gone are the days where you could get the absolute top of the line board for $65 if you were willing to play the refurb game. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think I mentioned this before but the AM3+ motherboard I was playing around with in June had some poo poo like a Radeon 4000 integrated graphics right on the motherboard. loving incredible! They should start doing that poo poo again just to calm my nerves about buying non-iGPU CPUs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think I mentioned this before but the AM3+ motherboard I was playing around with in June had some poo poo like a Radeon 4000 integrated graphics right on the motherboard. loving incredible! They should start doing that poo poo again just to calm my nerves about buying non-iGPU CPUs.

My previous main computer is an AM3 board with integrated Radeon HD 4250 graphics but I don't think I have ever actually used them. It's had an Nvidia GPU in it from day 1. It is kind of a nice feeling of security having a fallback for video right there.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC DDR5 is keyed differently from DDR4, so you can't have a slot that works for both

Somewhere some Asrock engineer just felt a tingle

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Somewhere some Asrock engineer just felt a tingle

Soon: DDR3, 4, 5 and an optane slot all ok the same board.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ratbert90 posted:

Soon: DDR3, 4, 5 and an optane slot all ok the same mini itx TR4 board.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

ratbert90 posted:

Soon: DDR3, 4, 5 and an optane slot all on the same mini itx sTRX4 board.

:getin:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Second, after Asus PN-50. The Asrock says it has 4 USB 3 ports, but I only see 1 type-A and 2 type-C. My brains working ok?
I'm thinking the Asrock wins if you gotta have DisplayPort and a 2nd or faster ethernet at the same time. Asus if you want 2 of the USB ports to be USB 3.2 gen2 instead of 2.0 (total of 3 USB 3.2 type-A) or a Micro-SD reader or a microphone jack.
I have too many USB 3 external drives to not consider a 2nd USB 3 type-A plug to be a practical necessity. Transferring between drives connected to the same hub seems slow.

Which case looks better ventilated?

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 9, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, I mean a board with different slots for different types of memory. I played with a couple of boards that came out in a transitional period and had slots for DDR and DDR2, like 2 of each, and could run one or the other. Looks like this was one of them: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8I915P-Duo-Pro-A-rev-10#ov

There were also SDR/DDR boards too - the ECS K7S5A comes to mind.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
There used to be mobo's with support for multiple consumer sockets and stuff too to act as 'transistional upgrade' boards. They were usually poo poo and made by guys like PCChips but the idea itself is cool as heck. Here is one that supports socket 370 and slot 1: PC Chips M741LMRT

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-a1x7...c=2?imbypass=on

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That board was legendary/infamous. The fact that I can recall it off the top of my head nearly 20 years later from just the terribly generic model number is a testament to that.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

There used to be mobo's with support for multiple consumer sockets and stuff too to act as 'transistional upgrade' boards. They were usually poo poo and made by guys like PCChips but the idea itself is cool as heck. Here is one that supports socket 370 and slot 1: PC Chips M741LMRT

Let’s not forget about slockets either. Slot 1 to socket 370 adapters were probably the most popular. I think the closest thing to that in recent memory was a sticker that’d let you use a socket 771 chip on a 775 motherboard by covering specific LGA contacts, which is not only ingenious but also mind blowing that it actually works.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some earlier 486 boards had stuff like both SIMM slots for EDO DRAM and DIMM SDRAM slots... which gets really mental when you realize how different those two are from a signaling standpoint. But memory controllers weren't integrated into the CPU in those early design, so it was up to the motherboard to deal with.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I had a K7S5A with some Athlon XP via one of Fry's CPU + Mobo sales.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ratbert90 posted:

Soon: DDR3, 4, 5 and an optane slot all ok the same board.

Some ASRock engineer just bolted straight-up from a dead sleep with an erection at the thought of being able to bring back memory daughterboards for each kind of memory, with LPDDR-style low-profile slot and retention mechanism, but for full-size DIMMs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Part of me hopes for a comedy option board that can run either DDR4 or DDR5 but not both at once, like in the transition to DDR2 days.

If anyone makes it, it will be Asrock

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

If anyone makes it, it will be Asrock

I was wondering if there were any Skylake boards with both DDR3 and DDR4 support and of course Asrock did it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arzachel posted:

I was wondering if there were any Skylake boards with both DDR3 and DDR4 support and of course Asrock did it.

Currently running an ASrock m-itx system by powering the mobo with a 19v DC adaptor. Love to rear end rock.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Isn't there supposed to be a major announcement of some kind today regarding zen 3?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

movax posted:

What features would they add? Seems like an expensive reason to spin masks IMO... just more PCIe lanes, but at the expense of ?

it could also be like X370 vs X470 where it’s the same silicon but with different software bundled or whatever

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

Some earlier 486 boards had stuff like both SIMM slots for EDO DRAM and DIMM SDRAM slots... which gets really mental when you realize how different those two are from a signaling standpoint. But memory controllers weren't integrated into the CPU in those early design, so it was up to the motherboard to deal with.

Just to prove that everything old is new again, Power10 doesn't have an on-chip memory controller. It just uses generic signalling to a buffer chip, be that DDR4, DDR5, GDDRx or even IO. This lets server manufacturers choose the mix of memory and IO to suit their product. There's a pretty good explanation here.

ConanTheLibrarian fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 9, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

movax posted:

What features would they add? Seems like an expensive reason to spin masks IMO... just more PCIe lanes, but at the expense of ?

When AMD shipped X570 they had to hastily repurpose their Epyc I/O die as a chipset because ASMedia (their normal chipset partner) didn't have PCIe 4 ready yet. ASMedia has probably caught up now (B550 was ASMedia again) so an X590 chipset could just be a lower-power remake of X570 by ASMedia eliminating the need for the chipset fan that everyone hates.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

gradenko_2000 posted:

My old computer had something like this (probably not as good tho) on its MB, was very helpful that time my GPU died.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mr.Radar posted:

When AMD shipped X570 they had to hastily repurpose their Epyc I/O die as a chipset because ASMedia (their normal chipset partner) didn't have PCIe 4 ready yet. ASMedia has probably caught up now (B550 was ASMedia again) so an X590 chipset could just be a lower-power remake of X570 by ASMedia eliminating the need for the chipset fan that everyone hates.

The chipset on b550 isn't pcie4. Just the lanes directly to the CPU.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So are the new APU's never really going to be released standalone? The 4750G seems to be exactly what I've been waiting for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Just to prove that everything old is new again, Power10 doesn't have an on-chip memory controller. It just uses generic signalling to a buffer chip, be that DDR4, DDR5, GDDRx or even IO. This lets server manufacturers choose the mix of memory and IO to suit their product. There's a pretty good explanation here.

I’m the GDDR DIMM having erotic dreams about SoCs.

I wonder if the POWER method is to be able to support upcoming standards like CXL through the buffer chip as well. Good way for baking in support for extremely new standards that may not be finalized yet.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Xeom posted:

So are the new APU's never really going to be released standalone? The 4750G seems to be exactly what I've been waiting for.

AMD's trying to realign their APU releases so desktop gets Cezanne, Zen3 with Vega, sometime after Vermeer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Event or paper launch?

https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/1303725578160349185

E:

https://twitter.com/AMD/status/1303726678808711177

E2: Tweet said RDNA2 in Sep 28.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 9, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Unavailable now, what did this say?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unavailable now, what did this say?
Was a banner with a Oct 10 Ryzen event and Oct 28 RDNA2 one.

But Su's video said Oct 8 for Ryzen, hence my immense confusion. I guess they published an old schedule that got pushed back because of ... Ampere?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
corrected tweet

https://twitter.com/AMDGaming/status/1303726683976069123?s=20

Zen3 October 8, RDNA2 October 28

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I have vague memories of some grody thing that was socket 754, but with a monstrous daughterboard you could put 939 cpu in. Possibly had to move your memory to the daughtercard as well.

Oh poo poo, and in trying to find that board I found this beauty from, guess who, Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/mb/ULi/K8 Combo-Z/

DOUBLE oh poo poo, I found something even more hosed up (and maybe what I was originally thinking of) ECS made an LGA775 board that had a daughterboard you could put a 939 CPU in :psyboom:
https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Overview/EN/Motherboard/PF88 Extreme Hybrid -LL-V1-DO-1-RR-/Socket 775 -LL-Intel-RR-
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/1181-ecs-pf88-extreme-hybrid-mainboard/

Featuring ULi and SiS chipsets, respectively :barf:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

oh hell yes. the days before AMD and Intel systematically murdered third party chipsets were wild times.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really wish they'd bring back that kind of color scheme on mobos. I don't use a windowed case but that's fun as hell.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Buy one of those phones from the early 90s, take all the components out, and build a motherboard out of it!

Been sure you are wearing a Swatch watch while doing so, otherwise you've liability concerns.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://gadgetcrutches.com/technology/the-amd-ryzen-4000-will-finally-arrive-under-the-name-ryzen-5000/

There's this bit o' rumor that apparently all of Zen 3 is going to release as Ryzen 5000 SKUs, so that the naming is going to be consistent again: a Zen 3 CPU is going to be something like a Ryzen 5 5600X, a Zen 3 APU is going to be a Ryzen 3 5400G, and Zen 3 mobile is going to be a Ryzen 5800U.

This does mean the only 4000-series SKUs are the Renoir APUs, but that's the price to pay for unifying the naming schemes again.

I say good on them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

our current naming is stupid and hosed as it always is, how can we fix it?

*San Jose State marketing intern named Kleidrian*... gently caress it up worse?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
ehhhh no 5000 series for DDR5? booo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SO DEMANDING posted:

I have vague memories of some grody thing that was socket 754, but with a monstrous daughterboard you could put 939 cpu in. Possibly had to move your memory to the daughtercard as well.

Oh poo poo, and in trying to find that board I found this beauty from, guess who, Asrock:

Yeah I forgot about those things. I vaaaaguely remember them but never actually saw one in person or knew anyone who had one.

Definitely cool but definitely crappy.