Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/kaylamdimarco/status/1064555973996621825

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

quarantine be rough, yo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
seems like an understandable reaction to someone moving out imho

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The White Dragon posted:

i use the first couple measures from a game about a dragon lol

but im embarrassed to admit it

staring down eternity

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

quarantine be rough, yo

If she was quarantining in 2018, I don't think it was covid-19 related.

At least this can't happen in New Horizons!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Prowler posted:

If she was quarantining in 2018, I don't think it was covid-19 related.

At least this can't happen in New Horizons!

Oh, I didn't even look at the date lol.

I was gonna say, I didn't think they could leave without you granting them permission?

On that note, did the ol' NMT thing this morning to get resources and ran into Fuchsia, who I immediately invited to move in because she was pink. Now I have two new villagers moving in!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This is the first Animal Crossing I played more than a couple hours. I'm reading up on older games and wow, it sounds like the world was a lot colder and meaner in the old games?

Tom Nook came across as a stereotypical landlord who only cared about money. In NH, he seems to care about building a good community

Neighbors talked poo poo to you in the old games

And people moved out unannounced?

I wonder how many angry letters about crying children Nintendo got over the years that made them turn Animal Crossing into a positivity-only dream granter

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Happy has turnips for 604

Punchy is making a mossy garden rock.

There's free stuff in the stalls south of the stores.

CLOSED

Recycled Karma fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 9, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the problem is that some neighbors were kind of mean, sure, but there were also neighbors who were genuinely really nice and ALL the neighbors had bigger personalities, hobbies, interests, and had a lot questions etc. NH is nice but all the neighbors are way, way flatter and frankly, super loving boring now. If they have the same personality as another neighbor then both of them will talk about the exact same thing. The only time you get some interesting dialog is if you run into them talking to other animals now. It's kind of made me lose interest in a lot of the game. :/

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Steve Yun posted:

This is the first Animal Crossing I played more than a couple hours. I'm reading up on older games and wow, it sounds like the world was a lot colder and meaner in the old games?

Tom Nook came across as a stereotypical landlord who only cared about money. In NH, he seems to care about building a good community

Neighbors talked poo poo to you in the old games

I wonder how many angry letters about crying children Nintendo got over the years that made them turn Animal Crossing into a positivity-only dream granter

Not just that! There was also Mr. Resetti, the mole with huuuuuuge anger issues who would pop out of the ground and scream at you for multiple minutes if you exited the game without saving.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah the problem is that some neighbors were kind of mean, sure, but there were also neighbors who were genuinely really nice and ALL the neighbors had bigger personalities, hobbies, interests, and had a lot questions etc. NH is nice but all the neighbors are way, way flatter and frankly, super loving boring now. If they have the same personality as another neighbor then both of them will talk about the exact same thing. The only time you get some interesting dialog is if you run into them talking to other animals now. It's kind of made me lose interest in a lot of the game. :/

This would be fixed if your villagers would actually say their unique lines instead of endlessly talking about how they saw you bury bells the other day. There is interesting dialog to be had, but you never see it unless you pester the same villager multiple times and it's stupid.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Don’t forget about Mr. Resetti, they literally said they got rid of him because he scared children.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Recycled Karma posted:

2HT7B

My friend is going to stop by, thanks!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

This would be fixed if your villagers would actually say their unique lines instead of endlessly talking about how they saw you bury bells the other day. There is interesting dialog to be had, but you never see it unless you pester the same villager multiple times and it's stupid.

It's actually surprising how many unique lines there are that you might never see unless you meet the right criteria and talk to the right person. You'll miss lines if:

1. You don't have visitors (talking to villagers during a visit and after).
2. You don't have a second player.
3. You don't have all personality types.
4. You don't perform enough of a certain task for them to comment on it (e.g. using reactions excessively, wearing the same clothes for multiple days).
5. You don't play at certain times.
6. You don't catch the different combinations of personality types mid-conversation.
7. You do not have a duplicate personality type (so you miss conversations between two of the same personality).
8. You aren't a jerk to your villagers.

Etc. It's kinda wild. Like, I sometimes don't know who is visiting the island, and I have to talk to villagers 3-4 times before they might mention who it is (usually Flick or CJ who are no where to be found).

Edit: still dunno why Isabelle does not. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Prowler posted:

Edit: still dunno why Isabelle does not. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Right?? She doesn't actually DO anything else. "Someone's at the campsite! Oh well, that's all the news that ever exists..." Like, as a video game writer, this game is so lazy in so many ways. There's so little actual writing to be done; they should have fleshed this out more:

PROPOSED NEW DIALOGUE FOR ISABELLE:

"Be careful, everyone! I've received reports of a mysterious trawler at the back of the island! We're not sure who they are or what they want..."

"Flick is visiting today! Oh, he's given me something to read... let's see here... 'Greeting, mortals! Have you ever stared into the multifaceted jeweled orb of wisdom that is a bug's eye? Please consult me, Flick, for all divine chitinous needs!' Oh...well, I don't know what that means, but we're happy to have you here, Flick!"

guys this is so much easier than writing actual dialogue for my actual video game job

"Here's an announcement from President Nook: 'Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, ho ho!' Well, you heard him, everyone! Let the Purge begin!"

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

That’s why you had to make a point of visiting every villager’s house (if they were indoors) every day that you played, because one day you might walk into your favourite villager’s house to find them in boxes with their mind already made up. You had to beg them to change their mind, and it very often didn’t work. I discovered that the hard way when Pinky decided to leave my Wild World town. For 2 days I begged her to stay but she wouldn’t budge. Then I came back to where her house was the next morning and there was just a wooden sign :sigh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

That’s why you had to make a point of visiting every villager’s house (if they were indoors) every day that you played, because one day you might walk into your favourite villager’s house to find them in boxes with their mind already made up. You had to beg them to change their mind, and it very often didn’t work. I discovered that the hard way when Pinky decided to leave my Wild World town. For 2 days I begged her to stay but she wouldn’t budge. Then I came back to where her house was the next morning and there was just a wooden sign :sigh:

In New Leaf you couldn't even do that! For around 6 days before a villager moved out, they would have a chance to run up to you with a ! over their heads and mention they were thinking of moving. That was your only chance to convince them to stay. Once they were in boxes, it was too late!

It sucked.

Also YES gently caress YES PLEASE have Isabelle announce what special visitor you have that day! 99% of the time she has nothing to announce and it's like whyyyyyyyyyyyy? Why did they do that?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah that's the one thing with villagers that they've changed that I'm greatful for.

Also, I really, really hope that the next update brings Gyroids. I like my mystrious cicada room in my basement but I want to recreate the Gyroid throne room I had in previous games.

Edit: I'm still a bit sad that they have never made Kaas from BoTW into a new villager or special visitor.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Recycled Karma posted:

2HT7B

Thank you so much.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm still a bit sad that they have never made Kaas from BoTW into a new villager or special visitor.

Kass and KK having fuckin ripping guitar and squeezebox duets on Saturday nights would be something to witness.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

"Be careful, everyone! I've received reports of a mysterious trawler at the back of the island! We're not sure who they are or what they want..."

Pretty sure that one actually happens the first time Redd appears but never again. Maybe tom nook can just do the announcements on the mornings that redd is in town.....

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

It’s Pinky’s birthday!!!
Come to Fiorina and say ‘happy birthday’ to everyone’s favourite cuddly bear. She likes cute, simple, red and pink things!

Minor meteor shower also happening and Celeste is here for it (she’s by the pier!)

Flowers don’t need watering (it’s been raining for 3 days, but today’s clear), but I’d love some messages on the bulletin board! Have a wander around, sit in the outdoor book nook, relax in the Jon Hanna Memorial Garden, and peep around in my house.

I’m mostly AFK but I’ll pop back in every so often to check on things.

Dodo: Closed

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 10, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

isabelle announcing what visitors are around that day would be a huge bore, might as well announce where the fossils are and what they'll be appraised as while she's at it

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I'm opening up Eigg

I've got a bunch of items, DIYs and fossils laying around on my beach, please take them!

Anything you want to buy from the nook shop is up for grabs. Kicks is here.

Feel free to take any fruit you want, and if you feel like watering flowers there's a little patch of roses on the east side, another patch in the northwest near the graves, and some purple mums next to the amphitheater. There's a gold watering can next to the roses on the east side which you're welcome to keep.

I don't really need anything but I'd love a pirate beard incase anybody's got an extra. I can trade you some gold for it if you'd like.

Dodo code is 96VMN

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Recycled Karma posted:

CLOSED

Many thanks for this, best haul for my 'nips I've gotten in a long time.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

It’s Pinky’s birthday!!!
Come to Fiorina and say ‘happy birthday’ to everyone’s favourite cuddly bear. She likes cute, simple, red and pink things!

Nooks stuff is up for grabs (I’ve already bought the street organ and billiards table but they’re outside for touching).
Flowers don’t need watering (it’s been raining for 3 days, but today’s clear), but I’d love some messages on the bulletin board! Have a wander around, sit in the outdoor book nook, relax in the Jon Hanna Memorial Garden, and peep around in my house.

Dodo: L2RPJ

I was happy to see that Julian remembered me, thats pretty cool. another person with an amazing looking island btw!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

I was happy to see that Julian remembered me, thats pretty cool. another person with an amazing looking island btw!

Thank you!!! Julian seems to like it on Fiorina, I just need to figure out which wreath to give him for his front door!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sherb is moving away and he's been with me since the beginning :smith:

Time to use my NMTs to go villager hunting!

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Boston is open again, come take a gift 🎁! It’s raining and my turnips are 121. 051JW

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does anyone have a spare DIY for the iron dresser? We're trying to get the kitchen in our house going and we have DIYs of all the furniture we want to build but they all require the iron dresser, goddammit.

EDIT: Is Fiorina still open for Pinky's birthday? And, if so, what should we bring?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does anyone have a spare DIY for the iron dresser? We're trying to get the kitchen in our house going and we have DIYs of all the furniture we want to build but they all require the iron dresser, goddammit.

let me check i might have this poo poo man

e: yes, give me a minute
e2: BR4TY

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 9, 2020

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Anyone want pink roses? I have 5 available.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Is Fiorina still open for Pinky's birthday? And, if so, what should we bring?

Yeah it’s still open! She likes pink, red, cute or simple things, so anything that matches any of those criteria she’ll just love

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The White Dragon posted:

let me check i might have this poo poo man

e: yes, give me a minute
e2: BR4TY

I just grabbed the iron dresser DIY, anything you’d like us to do while we’re here?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I just grabbed the iron dresser DIY, anything you’d like us to do while we’re here?

no i'm just glad you were able to get it

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I’m having the strangest glitch: I can hear the balloon swoosh noise in one spot, but there’s no balloon, and the sound isn’t moving so it’s not as if there’s an invisible balloon floating across the island.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Metaline posted:

I’m having the strangest glitch: I can hear the balloon swoosh noise in one spot, but there’s no balloon, and the sound isn’t moving so it’s not as if there’s an invisible balloon floating across the island.

I've had simmilar but sometimes I think there is a wind sound that sounds almost like the balloon one idk

also I was doing the usual nook island visits for a new villager and on the second try I got lucky with........lucky!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a goatee? One that’s moustache and beard?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Metaline posted:

this is a phenomenon known to the spanish as "la Pascua fantasma"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think there's a wind sound near the coasts that's almost exactly like the balloon sound. I wonder if it's on purpose.