Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

strong bird posted:

867 is broken because they didnt implement a sensible maximum range range for conquest or holy war or cooldown for free CBs that all tribal norse get, 1066 is broken because AI rulers dont upgrade their holdings - the entire game is broken because the AI doesnt know how to do matrilineal marriages and put their heirs as knights in every battle so every dynasty dies off in a generation or shorter

All true - also has anyone seen the AI actually go from Tribal to Feudal without being subjugated and doit it via liege?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Azhais posted:

The effects of renown + the diplomacy trees seems a little OP. I just finished forming the empire of hispania by force vassalizing one of my Muslim neighbors and he was still +63 afterwards despite the -30 religion is evil and -20 declared war and everything else modifiers.

And he, along with everyone else I could be bothered to check, was at least a +80 to me beforehand too. Random people in the middle of India love me.

The diplomacy lifestyles are definitely the "everyone just passively likes me and I don't even need to do anything to earn it" options. Frankly, even moreso than in CK2.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A God drat Ghost posted:

Oh, cool. My son's wife has the trait, she is also intelligent. Hopefully she can become a better physician then. My current one made me drink pig urine.

I mean, did it work?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Huh

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Woops I accidentally named all three of my daughters the same thing. Thanks random name generator

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I systematically name my sons the same, but give them distinct facial features

...I just love big ordinal numbers, okay?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Had I been in charge, I would have marched the Stellaris launch QA team out to a forest in the dead of winter, made them dig a long trench, then forced them to beg for their lives at gunpoint. By comparison, merely closing their department is generous

Having worked in this industry in a previous version of my life, let me just say... it is very rare that it is the QA team that sucks.

What sucks is that the QA team fills the dev tracking database with known issues, and the people in charge say things like, “we have a launch target, therefore it is acceptable to launch with all these bugs we haven’t fixed yet.”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Piell posted:

Woops I accidentally named all three of my daughters the same thing. Thanks random name generator

The Julio claudians gave everyone the exact same name so they needed nicknames so history wouldn’t be confusing.

At least you don’t have that

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

All true - also has anyone seen the AI actually go from Tribal to Feudal without being subjugated and doit it via liege?

I mean, I can't confirm it, but I've seen a lot of feudal/clan realms in west-central Africa in my game that started as tribal. I don't know if it was due to a feudal lord conquering the land, or they just picked up a brand of Islam and converted that way.

ZombieLenin posted:

Having worked in this industry in a previous version of my life, let me just say... it is very rare that it is the QA team that sucks.

What sucks is that the QA team fills the dev tracking database with known issues, and the people in charge say things like, “we have a launch target, therefore it is acceptable to launch with all these bugs we haven’t fixed yet.”

This is what I understand too, the QA team usually fills up reports on the stuff that players find in the release copy, but someone higher up decides it's not important enough to address (at least at the time).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Excelzior posted:

I systematically name my sons the same, but give them distinct facial features

...I just love big ordinal numbers, okay?

:hmmyes:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Piell posted:

I think you should name your children Pigwash - what's in a name after all...

Magil Zeal posted:

I mean, I can't confirm it, but I've seen a lot of feudal/clan realms in west-central Africa in my game that started as tribal. I don't know if it was due to a feudal lord conquering the land, or they just picked up a brand of Islam and converted that way.

It's 1100 for me, and all the nords are still Feudal, even the ones that switched to my religion - and I really want them to convert already because the map gore they've been making is getting really tiresome.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 9, 2020

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ZombieLenin posted:

Well yeah, obviously, but one must never let facts stand in the way of a lame joke

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Piell posted:

Just name all of your kids George like Mr Forman

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well gently caress, I think the game just ate 4 hours of play time, I have got to be more careful with just pushing the continue button. Cloud saves were a mistake.

FrickenMoron posted:

Is it really worth starting in 867? It feels like the 200 years arent nearly enough to catch up with culture to get even close to a feudal level.

I made it to feudal as Russia in 1060, but I could have been way faster had I actually realized that I was definitely going to convert to Russian culture and then actually invested anything in learning. All of the rest of the world is waaaay ahead of me though.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 9, 2020

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Man some stuff in this game just isn't obvious to me.

I'm playing as a vassal in France, and fabricated a claim on a neighboring county which is owned by another count. When I try to use my CB to declare war on him, it is declaring on King Philippe?? The king isn't even allied with this count, but he is both of our liege. Shouldn't I be able to only declare on this count to take his county?

e: this county is also a part of a formed Duchy. I just clicked on that duke and hit declare war, and I can choose that county as the objective, but still the Count isn't really related to this county other than it being a part of his Duchy. I'm guessing this is how I'm supposed to do it?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 9, 2020

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So what actually is the point of seducing? Just stress reduction and spare bastards if you get outed?

Also is there some gimmick I can use to stop a kingdom from being formed and passed down to a second child? Don't think changing inheritance will do it with the options I got.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
New start, 867 as Audr the Deep Minded, kicked my neighbours rear end and formed Iceland, turned it all kinds of catholic. Nobody has any beef with me for now but I'm super weak and income is extremely slow. My sons are large and also extremely slow while my husband is an idiot savant at stewardship, which I guess is kinda helpful.

For tribal edge-of-the-map starts with no immediate targets to conquer because Ivar and the Alba guy are both super strong and also everywhere - do I just raid as much as possible for money/renown while focusing on developing my two main counties? I did snag the Faereyar and use it as a staging point for raids. From what I understand it'll be generations until I can even think about going feudal (what do I need to go feudal btw?) but just keeping my few counties is going to make it hard to build up enough to survive I think.

Any and all tips welcome!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The fact that the AI doesn’t upgrade their holdings is super laaaame.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PittTheElder posted:

Well gently caress, I think the game just ate 4 hours of play time, I have got to be more careful with just pushing the continue button. Cloud saves were a mistake.

Go to load game and tick the "Show viable saves" box twice. Sometimes the game doesn't show certain saves until you have done that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Games been real good so far, though I've been spending more time with the modding features than the base game. Scripting really does feel better than in CK2. There were some features they took out though. Apparently its actually impossible to mod in gay marriage right now, even though you could in CK2. There's a big thread on the official forums about it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eschatos posted:

So what actually is the point of seducing? Just stress reduction and spare bastards if you get outed?

Also is there some gimmick I can use to stop a kingdom from being formed and passed down to a second child? Don't think changing inheritance will do it with the options I got.

You can use the opinion boost from having a lover to help with alliances, or annoying vassals, or what have you. Or just cuckold your rivals for fun.

I'm not actually sure but can you out your own bastards if they rise somewhere important?

I don't think standard partition will create new top-level titles. Confederate partition will. If you're stuck with Confederate Partition, I think you're stuck with the new titles.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Games been real good so far, though I've been spending more time with the modding features than the base game. Scripting really does feel better than in CK2. There were some features they took out though. Apparently its actually impossible to mod in gay marriage right now, even though you could in CK2. There's a big thread on the official forums about it.

Which sucks, but apparently same-sex concubines are possible so that's something. Hopefully it's a thing that changes at some point, since the thread claims it's as simple as using Cheat Engine to flip one or two bits in memory.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Do baronies within a single county get partitioned on succession?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The fact that the AI doesn’t upgrade their holdings is super laaaame.

Some personality types do though, I found in 920 or so that one of my counties was 100% upgraded for the tech level, every slot with a tier 2 building. I checked and sure enough the current Earl's dad had the Architect trait and had apparently sunk somewhere north of fifteen hundred gold into upgrading his land before dying.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Do baronies within a single county get partitioned on succession?

I don't believe they do, since they can never leave the county.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I founded the first Catholic Holy Order simply because I could. Is this actually useful for me in any way? I'd use them as troops, but the AI engage them 100% of the time lol so I never get the chance. Usually they slaughter them over and over. Do they grow in size naturally over time or do I have to feed them more holdings?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

How should I be landing my kids so that my realm isn't completely hosed up when I die?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

The HRE grabbed a weakend England out from under my push to form britannia. I'm really not in the position to fight the 30,000 some troops the very stable HRE has. Am I just hosed or is there a good way to get England to break free?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Patrat posted:

Some personality types do though, I found in 920 or so that one of my counties was 100% upgraded for the tech level, every slot with a tier 2 building. I checked and sure enough the current Earl's dad had the Architect trait and had apparently sunk somewhere north of fifteen hundred gold into upgrading his land before dying.

the AI definitely upgrades holdings, it's just that holding upgrades are more expensive than losing wars, feasting, or paying bribes, so a lot of AI rulers will piss away their money before upgrading

Whorelord posted:

How should I be landing my kids so that my realm isn't completely hosed up when I die?

try to get rid of any extra inheritors and land the handful of people you do want to inherit. part of the tension is that as a character you want all of your kids to be set up after you die but as a player you don't want to have a ruler death set you back. also only hold one top level title (one kingdom for multiple duchies, one duchy for multiple counties, etc.) so that you don't have two kingdoms to get handed out

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

So I waged a normal non-holy war on the pope's county and took it, and the pope got demoted to a lovely courtier and now catholicism has no head somehow? Unfortunately it didn't stop the crusade they were lining up.

edit: nevermind lol

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2020

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My dipshit popes tanked faith in Catholicism and now there's pockets of Waldensianiam all over my empire. Even with the theology tree, it takes five years to convert one country and there are over a hundred counties riddled with Waldos. Unacceptable!

Should I bother preserving Catholicism, become a Waldo, or make my own religion?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it possible/reasonable to keep land under my direct control from one ruler to the next? Seems like over the generations, the amount of land actually under my direct control becomes lower and lower.

Also, is it possible to have vassals like in mount & blade where I can call them to war when needed? It seems like vassals and allies are two different things, which throws me off because I thought vassals were always obliged to go to war with me in exchange for me handing them land?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

Is it possible/reasonable to keep land under my direct control from one ruler to the next? Seems like over the generations, the amount of land actually under my direct control becomes lower and lower.

yes, it is possible to keep land inherited, but the early inheritance laws are designed to frustrate this. you'll just have to gain new titles with your new ruler, some from outside your realm, some from title revocations

buglord posted:

Also, is it possible to have vassals like in mount & blade where I can call them to war when needed? It seems like vassals and allies are two different things, which throws me off because I thought vassals were always obliged to go to war with me in exchange for me handing them land?

vassals don't go to war with you directly. instead they contribute a percentage of their levies. when you raise troops, you are raising that percentage as well, and that is the strength they are obligated to give you

having a vassal-ally is better, because then you are directly calling them entirely to war rather than just raising the portion of their troops they have to give you by law

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vassals give you levies and taxes but are not obligated to join you in wars and use their own personal troops.

You still need to make an alliance with a vassal (by marriage or diplomacy perk) to get them to join wars

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
No beard should mean cleanshaven, not stubbly :wookie:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

FutonForensic posted:

My dipshit popes tanked faith in Catholicism and now there's pockets of Waldensianiam all over my empire. Even with the theology tree, it takes five years to convert one country and there are over a hundred counties riddled with Waldos. Unacceptable!

Should I bother preserving Catholicism, become a Waldo, or make my own religion?

If you can afford to make your own with Communion and you as the head, it's free money. In fact it becomes annoying with how many people are constantly offering you 100g forcing you to click accept every time....

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

luxury handset posted:

try to get rid of any extra inheritors and land the handful of people you do want to inherit. part of the tension is that as a character you want all of your kids to be set up after you die but as a player you don't want to have a ruler death set you back. also only hold one top level title (one kingdom for multiple duchies, one duchy for multiple counties, etc.) so that you don't have two kingdoms to get handed out

I've also noticed that if you have a top level title with its own succession rules then it is possible to get multiple titles onto the same heir. This feels like a bug but it works. Here for example I have two kingdom level titles but West Francia has its own title succession (male only) so it doesn't count as partition and both get passed down:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FutonForensic posted:

Here's something I've witnessed in my Africa game; it seems like if you demand that a vassal converts to your faith, their own holdings also convert. So I wouldn't waste time trying to preach away the heresy, just ask nicely instead. And you can force the vassals of your vassals to convert, so just go down to whoever directly owns the county and demand their conversion.

Eventually though, once you are strong enough, I do recommend making your own faith because a big faith like Catholicism is very hard to keep stable.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jeza posted:

I founded the first Catholic Holy Order simply because I could. Is this actually useful for me in any way? I'd use them as troops, but the AI engage them 100% of the time lol so I never get the chance. Usually they slaughter them over and over. Do they grow in size naturally over time or do I have to feed them more holdings?

I had the exact same experience as you. I founded the first holy order, but it hasn't benefited me at all since it's hired out 100% of the time. It may actually be slightly hurting me since otherwise I'd get tax/levies from that holding? Not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Magil Zeal posted:

Which sucks, but apparently same-sex concubines are possible so that's something. Hopefully it's a thing that changes at some point, since the thread claims it's as simple as using Cheat Engine to flip one or two bits in memory.

Makes me wonder why they took the CK2 method out to begin with. I think single-gender races like Warhammer Orcs needed the same scripting effect to work right.