Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I 100% believe the Hulkster when he says stuff in his books like he invented Entrance music. Hulkster is so powerful that Inoki and Baba had visions of Hulk from the future when they started using Entrance music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The thing most people don't understand about Hulk is that he isn't a liar. He's like Vince and Trump. He believes those things actually happened.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
My favourite Hulkster lie is when he said Andre died like 6 months after doing the job for him at Wrestlemania III

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember reading hulks first book and it’s in like 15 point type double spaced middle schooler trying to make it look like a 8 page report kind of job. It’s been a while but I also remember him just glossing over huge matches and events in wrestling like “yeah WrestleMania 6 me and the warrior. Dude had a good promo game and I did the job. So then the next month”

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
An actual book about Hogan's career could be fascinating

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I wouldn't doubt that Hogan has such a low estimation of marks that he thinks they can't possibly understand carny speak.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Seams posted:

My favourite Hulkster lie is when he said Andre died like 6 months after doing the job for him at Wrestlemania III

Even better, I think he said on MTV Cribs Andre passed mere days after the match.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Seams posted:

Max Coveri posted:

Even better, I think he said on MTV Cribs Andre passed mere days after the match.

This promo was a collective hallucination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlhowZb0m-s

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

JOHN CENA posted:

mrt can probably explain it in better detail but i believe when randy and liz's marriage really started falling apart with randy getting more abusive than usual terry and linda had her stay at their place for her own protection/peace of mind

This just makes me think of that crazy multi-part YouTube rant Warrior put up after Savage died. It was just an hour of Warrior getting pissed about Hogan and, hell, that's a situation where even when it's someone like Warrior, it's easy to get behind him. He's a scumbag, but he's rightfully making GBS threads on Hogan, so I'm going to cheer him on during this.

Then he got to Savage being abusive to Elizabeth, something Hogan brought up in a then-recent interview. Warrior's idea wasn't to call Hogan a liar or a hypocrite or anything like that, but to actually defend Savage's behavior! Like, "Why wouldn't he be like that to her?!"

Cripes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

This just makes me think of that crazy multi-part YouTube rant Warrior put up after Savage died. It was just an hour of Warrior getting pissed about Hogan and, hell, that's a situation where even when it's someone like Warrior, it's easy to get behind him. He's a scumbag, but he's rightfully making GBS threads on Hogan, so I'm going to cheer him on during this.

Then he got to Savage being abusive to Elizabeth, something Hogan brought up in a then-recent interview. Warrior's idea wasn't to call Hogan a liar or a hypocrite or anything like that, but to actually defend Savage's behavior! Like, "Why wouldn't he be like that to her?!"

Cripes.

jesus :stare:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
When Hogan doesn't like you, he doesn't tell you to your face. He uses very complex carny code to convey the message

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Gavok posted:

Cripes.

Oh my loving jewels, what the gently caress is that

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think my favourite part of the racist Hogan restaurant dress code is that hats must be forward-facing at all times.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's also the whole mess surrounding the dress code at his Florida beach bar and restaurant, where every item of banned clothing was not only "things black people wear" but half of them were "things Hulk Hogan wears" like durags.

Tato posted:

When Hogan doesn't like you, he doesn't tell you to your face. He uses very complex carny code to convey the message

This is exactly what I was talking about.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

at least half of those items are things Hogan wore as Hollywood/NWO Hogan, that's incredible

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DJExile posted:

at least half of those items are things Hogan wore as Hollywood/NWO Hogan, that's incredible

No plain white tees
No sleeveless jerseys
No bandanas
No Torn clothing
No workboots
No oversized or excessive jewelry
No workout clothing
No camouflage
No hightop sneakers

Hogan still bitter that Mr. T stole the spotlight at Wrestlemania.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Exactly, it's such a perfect encapsulation of his racism. Not just that he despises black people, but he also wants to appropriate parts of their culture while denying them the right to enjoy those very same parts if they want to be anywhere near him or his properties.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Max Coveri posted:

Oh my loving jewels, what the gently caress is that

To be more specific, Hogan mentioned in an interview that Savage would force Elizabeth to stay locked in their dressing room during shows. When she was being moved around backstage, Savage would have her look down at the floor.

Warrior's response, "Yeah! There were men back there! Men who might not be fully dressed!"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive me if I am explaining the obvious.

But that racist "Dress Code" was not really a dress code. It was so the managers could kick out any black person they wanted to, and point at the board out the front and say "Look, it says no white t-shirts. We aren't kicking you out coz we are racist, we are kicking you out coz of stated rules." And said rules cover such a wide and vague area that it covers just about every tourist that would ever step into a restaurant like that. No sports jerseys? No high top runners? No backward caps? This is also ignoring the No torn or soiled clothing, and No workout clothes.

The racism also comes from that this is how Hogan, (and management of the restaurant that bears his name), views all black people. As baggy pants, basketball shoe wearing "thugs" with 17 necklaces straight out of a 1991 2LiveCrew video.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if I am explaining the obvious.

But that racist "Dress Code" was not really a dress code. It was so the managers could kick out any black person they wanted to, and point at the board out the front and say "Look, it says no white t-shirts. We aren't kicking you out coz we are racist, we are kicking you out coz of stated rules." And said rules cover such a wide and vague area that it covers just about every tourist that would ever step into a restaurant like that. No sports jerseys? No high top runners? No backward caps? This is also ignoring the No torn or soiled clothing, and No workout clothes.

The racism also comes from that this is how Hogan, (and management of the restaurant that bears his name), views all black people. As baggy pants, basketball shoe wearing "thugs" with 17 necklaces straight out of a 1991 2LiveCrew video.

Pastamania is the morally superior Hulk Hogan restaurant

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I love how the racist dress code ends with THIS IS A BEACH PARTY AND BEACH ATTIRE IS REQUIRED! So I can just show up in my Speedo?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wait, hulk hogan is a racist?!?!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

An earlier post mentioned how Luger and other guys juiced to the gills just fell apart in less than a decade, I don't think Bischoff ever did anything like that, but good god. Look at him at the start of Nitro and then when Nitro is dying in 2000. I remember thinking this even when I was a kid.

It was a tough five years for Eric Bischoff. Another reason I don't think it was a smash-and-grab for him. Stress and being neurotic aged him so badly and you don't get that way when you give no shits.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yet another reason why Kevin "Big Sexy Depeche Mode Fan" Nash rules.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

oldpainless posted:

Wait, hulk hogan is a racist?!?!

No, but Terry Bollea is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were Kronik that bad? Like, they were never great, but Adams and Clark were wrestling forever but suddenly in one match with Takr and Kane they are the worst wrestlers of all time?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Were Kronik that bad? Like, they were never great, but Adams and Clark were wrestling forever but suddenly in one match with Takr and Kane they are the worst wrestlers of all time?

dude |<roni>| were insanely bad

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
They may have been wrestling for a long time, but I don't think they were ever "good" despite that. Just standard big guys who occasionally got somewhat over with certain gimmicks. Crush in particular had some horrific matches in the early '90s. I thought they looked physically impressive when I was a kid, and they were put over quite well for late WCW if memory serves, but I don't think the matches were ever good, and the actual gimmick is... well, a bit lame really. Aside from the silly weed references I couldn't even tell you that much about it.

I definitely feel like the Invasion match was one of the worst WWF PPV matches there had been in a while. Maybe not all-time bad but it sticks out in what was already a much-maligned storyline. We've talked about it before I think, but I find the circumstances behind it to just be a bit weird. Kronik weren't originally picked up by WWF, but they're Undertaker's mates so I believe he put in a good word for them. Then when the match comes, he completely no-sells them in a way that might actually be even worse than his previous feud with DDP and Kanyon. Maybe he just saw how bad they were and figured that doing them a favour would make him look bad. Or he's just a twat, idk.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'll say this for Wrath: in a company full of generic samey big guys, his physique was so impressive that he stood out regardless.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Bryan Clarke showed potential. He moved pretty quick for a guy that size. Adams was a decent power guy earlier in his career too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Kronik was the type of gimmick embarrassing to anyone over the age of eighteen, meanwhile it was created by a forty year old man that still thought "snootchie bootchies" was loving hilarious.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.
I've always felt that Clark was a lesser case of Goldberg/Giant syndrome, where they were working hard and then someone got in their ear and they slowed down. He had a solid run as Wrath where you could see improvement and confidence from his run as Adam Bomb. His snap on most of his Meltdowns made be a fan of a pump-handle maneuver, which I usually find too forced to set-up.

Then he joins up with Adams and turns to lazy crap. It was common in the era, as the money and various glass ceilings meant you either hustled both sides like Jarrett or you give up and take the pay day.

I'm not even a fan of Adams, the only work of his I liked was the transition to dark Crush, but they also deserved much better than that match with Taker and Kane. I'd don't think they sucked so much as Taker and Kane buried them because Clark was a big man that could move and they didn't want to. Taker did the same thing to Mike Awesome around that time, so there is precedence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Even for the era, it seemed like a totally pointless gimmick for two huge white stone-faced bodybuilder dudes with a barbed-wire logo on their tights. They could have called them any random noun instead of that. I guess marijuana was still scary in 2000?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
It's similar to that Road Dogg shirt that was eventually banned where it said something on the back like "Roll this dog a bone" when that hasn't been used as slang for joint in decades, even at the time.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
My dad would disagree :clint:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The stream had looped back around to 1992 and all is good again.

https://www.twitch.tv/ericisdrunk

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

The stream had looped back around to 1992 and all is good again.

https://www.twitch.tv/ericisdrunk

thank you for dis link. love me some 92 ron simmons.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

They really saddled Liger with Erik Watts in Battle Bowl. Jesus christ.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

TheKingslayer posted:

They really saddled Liger with Erik Watts in Battle Bowl. Jesus christ.

it was a testament to their faith in his abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The Hulk Hogan beach bar no longer exists. I was in Tampa for the bowl game there around New Year's last year. After landing I talked to a guy in the airport who said we should check it out and we had a couple of hours to kill before we could check into where we were staying so we did. It's a normal bar now and it was fine to sit at for a nice view while having drinks and eating tacos after getting off a plane.