Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was joking about this in the gbs thread but doing Dune as an in-universe fauxcumentary (or a bit of both like District 9) would be a fun take on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

So they used the song "Eclipse", and the logo looks like an eclipse. Is there a particular reason for that, from the books?

Denis has mentioned that dune caught his attention as a kid because of the french paperback cover

It seems like he's playing with a lot of eye imagery (the round sandworm mouths) as well as like circular voids (again the sandworm, the planet being a pit-like trap for the Atreides, Paul being in that place where the BG dare not go staring back at them). Maybe it's a stretch but that seems to be a motif that gels with the story

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Denis has mentioned that dune caught his attention as a kid because of the french paperback cover

It seems like he's playing with a lot of eye imagery (the round sandworm mouths) as well as like circular voids (again the sandworm, the planet being a pit-like trap for the Atreides, Paul being in that place where the BG dare not go staring back at them). Maybe it's a stretch but that seems to be a motif that gels with the story

2049 had a ton of eye imagery too, although it was building off of the original.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Extremely hyped even if the trailer wasn't my favorite. I'd imagine it's cut the way it is to get people in who haven't read the book or whose only knowledge of the franchise is through the lynch version.

I've also seen the sentiment online about the colors on Arrakkis but that's just sort've what a desert planet should look like?

We have actual pictures of a literal desert planet for reference:

wonder if there is a "what if mars was in...color?" video out there somewhere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Polo-Rican posted:

Love trailers that literally make me shut my windows and then check my monitor brightness

edit: I literally cannot see the shot of the worm emerging at 2:46 unless I close all of the curtains in this room, lol

Get a better monitor, lmao. Also, I've never read the book. I'm going to start it tonight. :toot:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

2049 had a ton of eye imagery too, although it was building off of the original.

So did Prisoners

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

Get a better monitor, lmao. Also, I've never read the book. I'm going to start it tonight. :toot:

Without the snark... :cheeky: I watched it on my monitor here and it's perfectly fine. IPS Acer Predator XB271HU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

Without the snark... :cheeky: I watched it on my monitor here and it's perfectly fine. IPS Acer Predator XB271HU

Lol. Yeah, was fine on my Acer Nitro XV240Y (also an IPS panel).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/colormejorge/status/1303742536503062528?s=20

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

GlassEye-Boy posted:

https://youtu.be/lvIasUKWgYs

Short behind the scenes with some additional footage not seen in the trailer.

The best part is Oscar Isaac basically saying, "gently caress Star Wars this is the new poo poo".

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's also a common image in Middle Eastern superstition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazar_(amulet)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lord Krangdar posted:

So they used the song "Eclipse", and the logo looks like an eclipse. Is there a particular reason for that, from the books?
No, unless you go symbolism, then the floodgates are open.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The best part is Oscar Isaac basically saying, "gently caress Star Wars this is the new poo poo".

I mean the central message of Dune is that humanity shouldn't be beholden to the idea of "Great men" to save them, and that our salvation comes from diversity and exploration. So, you know, sure. Why not? gently caress Star Wars.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Looks like Hans Zimmer is responsible for rearranged Pink Floyd song

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mulva posted:

I mean the central message of Dune is that humanity shouldn't be beholden to the idea of "Great men" to save them, and that our salvation comes from diversity and exploration. So, you know, sure. Why not? gently caress Star Wars.

Yeah the end of the book is the medal ceremony from Star Wars except Luke crowns himself emperor and that's the point

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I didn't get the big head gag that had everyone in hysterics. :3:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Have to rib the elder statesman/biggest star(?) on the cast a bit

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm still excited but that trailer had a bit of a YA movie vibe to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dune Runner: The Worm Trials

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wrong thread!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mulva posted:

Also he's playing an actual character who represents things in the story and has depth and actual relationships to the other characters.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
looks too bland and brown and grey for a Villeneuve movie.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
but i trust the guy

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I hate myself for immediately knowing what this is from, even on a tiny phone screen before seeing their faces

Mean Bean Machine posted:

looks bland and brown and grey; a Villeneuve movie.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even know this movie was being made so I saw the trailer because youtube. If I didn't see that Villeneuve was directing the movie that trailer would have killed any theoretical hype I would have for it.

They should try having more than one hue in a scene.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The trailer feels like three trailers smashed together with whooshing noises at the joints. I think they probably could have made a trailer about prophecy, about the Gom Jabbar scene, and about leaving Caladan/going to Arrakis from the pieces they had there. Kind of like the Pink Floyd/Hans Zimmer music it seems to be trying to do too many things.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, the movie is the first half. The trailer straight up tells you Arrakis is a trap and that Leto is going to lose it. Weird choice!

The Lynch movie tells you that right up front too. The miniseries a tiny bit less direct but also does it

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Mean Bean Machine posted:

looks too bland and brown and grey for a Villeneuve movie.

This is a baffling post.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

I mean, as opposed to what, the Wizard of Oz technicolor of Arrival or Sicario or bloody Bladerunner???

People seem to be hyped or willing to forgive it because its Villeneuve, but at the same time worried about the most distinctively Villeneuve aspect of it.

Simiain fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2020

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Dune is about how love is good and control is bad

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Memnaelar posted:

I did some Feyd-diving and the current speculation is that he's not in the first movie -- either that or they're saving his casting for a big reveal. I've seen some of the names they've suggested as possible leaks, but none are Sting-big, so I think it's actually pretty likely there'll be no Feyd in movie one (or, possibly, if they go all Marvel, a post-credits stinger with him. ;-))

Paul and Feyd are related so they're going to have Chalamet pull a Tilda Swinton and play Feyd also but in old age makeup to look like Sting today.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Simiain posted:

I mean, as opposed to what, the Wizard of Oz technicolor of Arrival or Sicario or bloody Bladerunner???

People seem to be hyped or willing to forgive it because its Villeneuve, but at the same time worried about the most distinctively Villeneuve aspect of it.

I mean 2049 had some very colorful scenes, but yeah Arrival may as well have been B/W and this looks the same.

I mean I can sympathize, it'd be impossible to get this movie bankrolled in B/W and maybe that's just the vision he has. But I am kinda sick of sci-fi in general being distinguished by that "everything's earth tones" look. (The new Ridley Scott series has some cool designs but the color choice.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean 2049 had some very colorful scenes, but yeah Arrival may as well have been B/W and this looks the same.

I mean I can sympathize, it'd be impossible to get this movie bankrolled in B/W and maybe that's just the vision he has. But I am kinda sick of sci-fi in general being distinguished by that "everything's earth tones" look. (The new Ridley Scott series has some cool designs but the color choice.)

Have to agree with this, I think part of it is that there's a lot of all black and dark grey to many of the costumes seen so far.

Blade Runner is barren too, so much of its shots are of abandoned city-scapes many of which don't even have electricity! But it still looks dense and not dead.

A big part of Dune is how the desert isn't as barren as it seems on the surface and it definitely isn't dead, there's other animals, rodents, lots of people, etc. living there it's not a literal zero life planet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you were hype for Dennis Villeneuve doing Dune I can’t imagine how this trailer would derail that.

I almost didn’t watch the trailer just because I know I want to see this movie regardless.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bawfuls posted:

If you were hype for Dennis Villeneuve doing Dune I can’t imagine how this trailer would derail that.

I almost didn’t watch the trailer just because I know I want to see this movie regardless.

I'm still super hype, just a little let down after how nice 2049 looked.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

It did, but these were squeezed in between the expanses of dulled monochrome that comprise the majority of the film and, really, rather define it. My favourite image from that movie is the flight into LA and seeing the colour of the city as a thin strip of light between ranging, bleak deserts of urban blight. Wonderful!

I'm the opposite to you in so far as I much prefer this kind of earthy, dingy tonality to the fantastical brightness of something like the more recent Wachowski pictures, for instance.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Simiain posted:

Just because Villeneuve is know for a very specific color usage in his previous films doesn't mean that he has to continue doing so. If he were to direct the Wizard of Oz and chose to use a drab palette so that both the ruby slippers and emerald city were as desaturated as this thing that would also be questionable.

This extends to other choices like clothing, etc. Most of the non-fremen characters in the book are a bunch of royalty, feudal warlords, their retainers, and witches. I don't have the imagination to visualize how those sort of characters would look thousands of years into the future but I do know that they would look, if not gaudy (for our standards), interesting as gently caress. What is the point of being given a setting that gives you a shitload of freedom to let the imagination go wild if you're going to go for a boring aesthetic? a boring aesthetic that doesn't fit the setting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i actually really like the reverend mother's look

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

i actually really like the reverend mother's look

Yeah, those are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Simiain posted:

It did, but these were squeezed in between the expanses of dulled monochrome that comprise the majority of the film and, really, rather define it. My favourite image from that movie is the flight into LA and seeing the colour of the city as a thin strip of light between ranging, bleak deserts of urban blight. Wonderful!

I'm the opposite to you in so far as I much prefer this kind of earthy, dingy tonality to the fantastical brightness of something like the more recent Wachowski pictures, for instance.

I mean it works for some material but when it's used as commonly as this it gets annoying. The trailer for the Brave New World series also had this very austere look and that dystopia should be gaudy and glitzy as gently caress.