Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Azhais posted:

Beyond Reedus' series?

gently caress, I don't know I haven't watched it since John Winchester showed up in a season Finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good time to stop. The most recent season was fun but that was some ugly ugly poo poo during those times.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last episode I saw as the barn one, at the s2 midseason finale. I regret nothing (other than my decision to watch it up until that point to a degree).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I checked out at the Season 7 premiere. I'm fine with gore. I've watched some pretty graphic stuff. But Negan's beating to death of Glenn just went beyond sadistic and made me sick to my stomach and turned me off the series. I may catch up with it at some point since it's been 4 years since I watched that episode.

I really don't know what it was that really hit me about that one, but it ceased being entertainment for escapism and turned into a snuff film.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That whole season was poo poo and I'd like to say they learned their lesson. Something like that hasn't happened again. I'm current with both Walking Dead shows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

I checked out at the Season 7 premiere. I'm fine with gore. I've watched some pretty graphic stuff. But Negan's beating to death of Glenn just went beyond sadistic and made me sick to my stomach and turned me off the series. I may catch up with it at some point since it's been 4 years since I watched that episode.

I really don't know what it was that really hit me about that one, but it ceased being entertainment for escapism and turned into a snuff film.

Ironically, Negan actually became the best thing about the show after that nasty intro because you finally had a character who was having fun in the universe played by an actor devouring the scenery instead of yet another hero character who pouted and scowled through every scene.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got tired of Negan after like 4 episodes because every single scene was the same.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Now that the comic is over and I see where they were going with it all, the tv show is double super a dumpster fire because it can't end in the same place.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Good, it doesn't need to end in the same place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How did the comic end

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

How did the comic end

Time skip. Carl old.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

How did the comic end

It turns out they were the walking dead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

How did the comic end

Adult Carl Grimes in the future kills a zombie belonging to a sideshow run by Maggie and Glenn’s son and gets taken to small claims property court, which is run by Judge Michonne.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Glad it worked out for everybody, how did they fix the zombie problem

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Apparently it was announced in July, but for anyone like me who didn't catch it, Archer is back on the 16th.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren’t Darryl and Carol the lead characters in the main show anyway? They might as well just continue that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Aren’t Darryl and Carol the lead characters in the main show anyway? They might as well just continue that

New contracts, etc, I'm sure. Has to be a money reason to not continue. And maybe they're hoping it'll be less daunting for new fans.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

zoux posted:

Glad it worked out for everybody, how did they fix the zombie problem

Time. Everyone that was still alive got used to dealing with it, and they aren't exactly an infinitely renewable threat. If you don't let many new zombies get created and you keep thinning out the old ones, eventually they are just sort of done.

GreenNight posted:

Good, it doesn't need to end in the same place.

The thing is that now that it's a completed story it can be looked at as a whole and you can say "Yeah, there's an emotional and thematic through-line to this". Which is that ultimately the world moves on. Rick's story, for all it's highs and lows, is just that: A story Carl reads his daughter too much, that means nothing to her, but that she listens to because she loves spending time with her dad. Zombies are a joke that Maggie's failson uses as schlock entertainment. And Carl being disgusted and popping one isn't some act that leads to a long arc of revenge and insane body counts, it's tedious busywork for the legal system. The characters won, and what they won is a world that will swiftly forget what it cost them all to get there. And that's a little sad, but it's mostly a good thing.

So as we enter year 14 of the tv show or whatever, what is the narrative thread and where is it going? I think it's impossible to say, because the show has had so many shake ups and exists that it's impossible to predict where they are going. And they are both dumpster fires in different ways, the comic is just a dumpster fire with a solid ending that built off what came before. And I feel like that's....basically impossible for the tv show at this point.

e: And even with a solid ending I don't even know if I'd call the comic "Good" or even "Ok". It just stuck the landing.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 9, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

Last episode I saw as the barn one, at the s2 midseason finale. I regret nothing (other than my decision to watch it up until that point to a degree).

I kinda wish they had done that episode a lot different, but all of season 2 was just a big fat portent for how bad that show was.

I mean, it was fairly tense for quite a bit, the herd is overrunning the farm and everyone is just bugging out as best as they can. Everyone is in the wind, is a great cliffhanger, which would make people enthusiastic to come back. Could have even spent a few episodes in season 3, following everyone attempting to regroup.

Instead, we got 15 more minutes of everyone regrouping, and then going to jail.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mulva posted:

Time. Everyone that was still alive got used to dealing with it, and they aren't exactly an infinitely renewable threat. If you don't let many new zombies get created and you keep thinning out the old ones, eventually they are just sort of done.

I thought the whole thing was that everyone came back as a zombie regardless of cause of death, or was that show-only

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

I thought the whole thing was that everyone came back as a zombie regardless of cause of death, or was that show-only

That's in both the book and comics, unless something big changed in the comics after I stopped reading them (after the Negan arc ended).

But if you wait for all the hordes of zombies to die out and only have to worry about properly disposing of your loved ones/community members, does it really matter? Some old gently caress dying in his sleep could still be a threat I guess but prob a more easily contained one than when you also have to worry about a horde at your front door at the same time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

New contracts, etc, I'm sure. Has to be a money reason to not continue. And maybe they're hoping it'll be less daunting for new fans.

Yeah, they get to shitcan all of the old cast and probably writers that had been getting up there in cost and migrate a subset to the new show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Zombies are a joke that Maggie's failson uses as schlock entertainment. And Carl being disgusted and popping one isn't some act that leads to a long arc of revenge and insane body counts, it's tedious busywork for the legal system

Ok wait I assumed this was a joke, is it really what happens

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

yes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zombies being barely a threat after a point is a big part of TWD in general. It's only ever a big deal if someone turns inside a safe compound or a horde is heading in the general direction of the protags.

It is, after all, WE who are The Walking Dead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

esperterra posted:

Zombies being barely a threat after a point is a big part of TWD in general. It's only ever a big deal if someone turns inside a safe compound or a horde is heading in the general direction of the protags.

It is, after all, WE who are The Walking Dead.

That quote "reveal" was ironically the point at which both the comics and the show started a pretty strong downward trend.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

100000%. The emotional climax before the final issue time-skip is that Rick gives a patented Rick Grimes speech that diffuses tension in a settlement on the brink of civil war, and they proceed to peacefully remove their old leader and move on with picking a new one....but the old leader's loser son breaks into Rick's place while he's sleeping and shoots him to death. They catch him instantly, and Carl chooses to put him in jail rather than kill him, because that's what you do in a civilized society. That is the narrative arc of the main story, effectively the point at which the corner is turned on the whole struggle.

The next and final issue is 25 years in the future after that. The inciting event is that Carl's idiot brother in law loses one of his zombies and it wanders into Carl's land, and Carl kills the gently caress out of it. He is then no poo poo brought to small claims court and ordered to replace the zombie.

Carl Grimes does not, in fact, proceed to replace the zombie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The thing is, I've always thought a good zombie series should be about the world after its adapted to the existence of zombies.

Like if the Bunker in Day of the Dead didn't fall apart and ~20 years later, they run out of supplies and start encountering the new cultures.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, that's basically what the Walking Dead is. Them encountering new societies like Alexandria and The Kingdom that are good and ones that are bad like Negan's and the Governor's. The zombies are basically a force of nature they have to work around and deal with when a storm rolls in.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
THere's also horror over owning what was once a human being

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is, I've always thought a good zombie series should be about the world after its adapted to the existence of zombies.

Like if the Bunker in Day of the Dead didn't fall apart and ~20 years later, they run out of supplies and start encountering the new cultures.

The best examples of this will always be the montage at the end of Shaun of The Dead and Fido.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uX8ypmkihg

That trailer is terrible but it’s a solid little b-flick. It almost has a quasi-Fallout vibe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll always remember that Simon Pegg and some other UK celeb basically had a flame war in back and forth articles in the front page of a major newspaper about the effectiveness of zombies as a horror trope. Pegg was a hard believer in zombies as a metaphor for death, so they had to be slow, creeping, and unstoppable, while the other celeb was a fan of running and chasing style zombies.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Donny Voluminous has hit every scifi film he's made straight outta the park and there is no way Dune can suck when Arrival and BR2049 were straight up masterpieces.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, that's basically what the Walking Dead is. Them encountering new societies like Alexandria and The Kingdom that are good and ones that are bad like Negan's and the Governor's. The zombies are basically a force of nature they have to work around and deal with when a storm rolls in.

The Walking Dead is about a bunch of brain-damaged dipshits with goldfish memories. Try to do as many drugs as possible, while watching, and you may not notice that most scenes are completely pointless and nothing any of the characters do makes any sense at all.
#ShaneWasRight

pentyne posted:

I'll always remember that Simon Pegg and some other UK celeb basically had a flame war in back and forth articles in the front page of a major newspaper about the effectiveness of zombies as a horror trope. Pegg was a hard believer in zombies as a metaphor for death, so they had to be slow, creeping, and unstoppable, while the other celeb was a fan of running and chasing style zombies.

Can't slow zombies be about the inevitability of death while fast zombies are about the horrors of capitalism?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The Walking Dead is about a bunch of brain-damaged dipshits with goldfish memories. Try to do as many drugs as possible, while watching, and you may not notice that most scenes are completely pointless and nothing any of the characters do makes any sense at all.
#ShaneWasRight

You're ranting to the wrong person. I stopped watching awhile ago. I'm just saying, the concept of TWD IS to explore those ideas of Dawn and Day of the Dead further. Whether it was done well or not is another question entirely.
#ShaneWasAPsychopathAndRapist

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can't slow zombies be about the inevitability of death while fast zombies are about the horrors of capitalism?

Agreed. Use the zombies that fit your metaphor for society.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Zombies are finally dead!

e: poo poo wait, spoke too soon.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

STAC Goat posted:

You're ranting to the wrong person. I stopped watching awhile ago. I'm just saying, the concept of TWD IS to explore those ideas of Dawn and Day of the Dead further. Whether it was done well or not is another question entirely.
#ShaneWasAPsychopathAndRapist

Apparently I'm still mad at that show... :ohdear:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I showed my daughter the Dune trailer and she called the sandworm a "butthole monster" and it really bugs me how accurate she is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/StarTrekVHS/status/1303963897557381121

With Anti-skip Protection and Bass Boost and illegal cloaking technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Croatoan posted:

I showed my daughter the Dune trailer and she called the sandworm a "butthole monster" and it really bugs me how accurate she is.

drat having your own child pull the turn on your monitor joke...