Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Is Nina from MJF's poltician thing a wrestler? I wonder what the significance of showing her and Vickie repeatedly was.

Yeah, she was trained by the Dudleys, apparently. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=15528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think the implication was the Vickie, being a cougar, would like to get to know Ricky in the biblical sense.
AEW is going to have to rope in the old people at their shows. We've got Jake The Snake busting nuts, we've got JR putting on the cowboy hat and being horny on main, and we've got Vickie in the crowd cat calling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

good dark this week. hobbes looked green but potential is there. anna jay looked good in her match.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Short and sweet Dark tonight. I really enjoyed every match!

Is it weird I'm so psyched about Hobbs? From the first match he was in, I was rooting for a push, and now that he got the push, he continues to impress! He could use some more refining, true, but I love how he's just a big, positive suplex-machine. When he countered the flying crossbody by just blasting the other dude away, I was stunned.

Also genius giving Anna Jay the rear naked choke as her finishing move. Super easy to learn, and it looks nice and sinister.

The British dude Starks wrestled was really good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Short and sweet Dark tonight. I really enjoyed every match!

Is it weird I'm so psyched about Hobbs? From the first match he was in, I was rooting for a push, and now that he got the push, he continues to impress! He could use some more refining, true, but I love how he's just a big, positive suplex-machine. When he countered the flying crossbody by just blasting the other dude away, I was stunned.

Also genius giving Anna Jay the rear naked choke as her finishing move. Super easy to learn, and it looks nice and sinister.

The British dude Starks wrestled was really good.
i hope ben carter signs and joins janela and kiss to form a Jersey Boys trios team with carter quietly insisting hes the only guy actually from Jersey

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Is it weird I'm so psyched about Hobbs?

It is absolutely not, he's incredible. It was great seeing him in a competitive match, you can see where he's still a little green but with a few more reps, and the training AEW's got, he's set up to be a big loving deal.

Also, it's so hard to justify signing another white dude singles wrestler but that Ben Carter guy, him I'd like to see more of, that was impressive as gently caress.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
really enjoyed that dark. every match was really fun.

I always find it pretty endearing whenever a person debuts in aew and they come out and just look at their videotron for a second to soak it in. I think it's a neat touch that aew actually gives them unique music and trons and entrances.

sonny looked fantastic. he's come a long way.

ben carter is cool. would love to see more of him. great main event.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DuhSal posted:

really enjoyed that dark. every match was really fun.

I always find it pretty endearing whenever a person debuts in aew and they come out and just look at their videotron for a second to soak it in. I think it's a neat touch that aew actually gives them unique music and trons and entrances.

sonny looked fantastic. he's come a long way.

Alex Chamberlain talked a bit about this and it's really cool that they do that for enhancement talent, along with letting them get stuff in.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

DuhSal posted:

Handsome enough to be Kip’s best man? Certainly British enough.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
DARK thoughts:
WILL HOBBS :woop:
Anna Jay :woop:
Sonny Kiss :woop:
Starks looks great, Ben Carter looks even better, sign him IMMEDIATELY

Ben Carter had it pinned to 11 for the whole match, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a tryout

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Some thoughts:

-Hobbs looked like a monster, shoving someone out of midair when they try to give you a cross body is a really cool spot.

-Weapon X is a nice move but the set up is too complicated, IMO.

-Griff Garrison's theme is performed by Mötley Whü The gently caress?

-Nice to see Angelico get a chance to show his stuff. They've talked about his style since AEW started but he hasn't gotten to work that methodically in fast paced tag matches.

-Anna Jay's potential is through the roof when you consider how inexperienced she is.

-Lee Johnson's moves are fine but his strikes could use some work.

-I like that Sonny has a new finisher. The split leg drop is fine but it's more of an exclamation point than something that looks like it would put someone away.

-Ricky Starks is a star already and Ben Carter also looked really good.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, Lee Johnson does a lot of things well, but he does that spot where he gets a handful of strikes in and then PSYCHES UP for a forearm strike or missile drop kick or something in every match, and it's always basically a flat line in excitement. he's got a great look and can sell really well, and great athleticism, but he definitely hasn't found his niche yet. not really sure where he should look either, maybe work with Fenix a poo poo ton and see if he can do some more rope spots or something

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

1) Sean Legacy vs Will Hobbs. Insert Brock Lesnar "big boy" gif here as Will Hobbs faces off against Will Fauxspreay. This is a methodical power clinic, lots of clever spots from Hobbs. Excellent delayed vertical suplex. Hobbs still needs some seasoning when it comes to speed and smoothness, but my goodness do his power moves look superb.

2) Brian Cage vs Tony Donati. Love that Tony Donati music. Cage throwing people around will always look great. Beautiful thrust kick too. Ooh, and he's using Weapon X as a finisher now? That's cool.

3) Griff Garrison vs Angelico. Love that we're continuing pushing Angelico's submissions gimmick. He's got that long swimmer's body like ZSJ, Phantasmo, and Chris Brookes that makes his stuff look unique. He's cocky, which is good. Garrison continues to be a super talented blue chipper, and seemingly game for anything, which is something that gets you work. This is a fun match, lots of enjoyable back and forth in the clash of styles. Some of Angelico's stuff just looks sickening in a good way.

4) Skyler Moore vs Anna Jay. Skyler's decent but yet to stand out. Love that Anna comes out alone but then her followers come out. She has such confidence now. Wow, Anna has been working on her strikes. Skyler's got a few slick moves herself, very good looking gutwrench. Good to see them sell Anna's submission choke.

5) Lee Johnson vs Eddie Kingston. Raw potential vs slow-cooked experience. Lee Johnson is very good fun as a seller. Ooh, that dropkick was pretty. Kingston is methodical in offense, which makes him a fun match for Johnson, and the spinning back fist is always going to look awesome. Congrats on your first AEW win, Mad King.

6) Sonny Kiss vs Serpentico. White vest with tails looks great. Sonny looks superb. Super-fast agile start. Sonny's come a long way in putting a match together, offense looks superb now and he's moving through a match, not just going spot to spot. Serpentico is a great lower card veteran. The neck twist turn is such a fun spot. This is a really good match. WOAH, that split legged 360 leg drop into the pin looked amazing! Good job, Sonny.

7) Ricky Starks vs Ben Carter. English Channel, not British Channel, Justin. Stroke Daddy feeling it tonight. Dirty start with the handshake, nice. This is my first sight of Ben Carter and he's got something. Carter laying in the offense. Both guys looking good here. MJF's campaign manager at ringside. Ben Carter with the machine gun chops. HELL of a frog splash from Carter, great form on that phoenix splash too. Tremendous fun match and I hope someone in the back is looking at Carter.

Good show overall. 3 or 4 good matches plus bits and pieces of filler.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ben carter comes from seth rollins school

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

smarxist posted:

yeah, Lee Johnson does a lot of things well, but he does that spot where he gets a handful of strikes in and then PSYCHES UP for a forearm strike or missile drop kick or something in every match, and it's always basically a flat line in excitement. he's got a great look and can sell really well, and great athleticism, but he definitely hasn't found his niche yet. not really sure where he should look either, maybe work with Fenix a poo poo ton and see if he can do some more rope spots or something

I think the juxtaposition with Kingston's hard hitting style didn't do him any favors. But yeah, he's got the tools he just hasn't put it all together yet. He has a knack for making his opponents moves look like death.

Something I liked in the Angelico/Griff match that I forgot to mention is how the finish came out of nowhere. There was no working a body part or anything, which drives home the point that Angelico has an encyclopedic knowledge of submissions and any one of them could be a match ender.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Dark was very good. Here’s my thoughts on every match:

1) Angelico is a very beautiful man and John Silver needs to recruit him to the Dark Order.

2) John Silver should recruit Angelico because he is a sharp, nice, handsome man.

3) Wow, Angelico. John Silver, you know what to do.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ICR posted:

1) Angelico is a very beautiful man and John Silver needs to recruit him to the Dark Order.

2) John Silver should recruit Angelico because he is a sharp, nice, handsome man.

handsome, for a man.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Zombie Lemur posted:

-Weapon X is a nice move but the set up is too complicated, IMO.

I think Donati ended up slightly out of position at the start so Cage had to readjust because normally it's a much smoother and quicker setup. I think the camera angle was the wrong one to use for the impact too, it doesn't look as impressive when it's not straight-on.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

ICR posted:

As Silver would say, "Woooaaahh table for two please! Om nom nom nom"

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Lee Johnson is catching Cutler and Avalon in the loss column i hope they face each other and Johnson wins.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

The Croc posted:

Lee Johnson is catching Cutler and Avalon in the loss column i hope they face each other and Johnson wins.

If they do a three way match, then either they will both pin Lee, or he'll pin both of them. If either of them do a singles match vs Lee, the universe will fold in on itself.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1303709749033271296?s=19

E:wrongish thread

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Fun episode of Dark, Ben Carter needs better pants, but I otherwise really enjoyed what he was doing

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

rantmo posted:

I think Donati ended up slightly out of position at the start so Cage had to readjust because normally it's a much smoother and quicker setup. I think the camera angle was the wrong one to use for the impact too, it doesn't look as impressive when it's not straight-on.

I still thought it looked pretty nasty (in a good way), I just felt like it took too long to get there.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Something Dark has been highlighting for me is that even Taz as a non-wrestling personality was bungled by the WWE. Him having a stable of powerful jerks who take things just a touch too far, hating other heels on commentary, being sleezy in a way you could see being roped in by it. He adheres to the Bobby Heenan school of heel commentary really well and they just... didn't use that? At all?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

During the Hobbs match there were a couple bits where he would throw his opponent around the ring and just sneer at him.

Powerful heel energy.

It made me realize I kind of want him where Cage is right now (he’s probably too green for that) and have Cage give in to his natural himbo face self.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Halloween week they can do a Will Hobbs and Broomsticks match

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Did I miss it or did he not do his spinebuster? A shame if so.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

He did not because he was too busy giving his opponent a suplex flight.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

oh but seriously I posted:

Halloween week they can do a Will Hobbs and Broomsticks match

When PAC is able to return 37 years from now they should pair him with Hobbs as Team Hobbs Goblin.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

xbilkis posted:

That ruled! As someone who is incredibly skeptical about the need to add any more singles dudes I want them to sign Ben Carter immediately

I've seen people on various wrestling sites saying that this was only Carter's 14th or 15th match. If so, holy poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Not quite sure I get the big deal with Weapon X. I put it at about a .8 Saxtonation in terms of convoluted finishers.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Not quite sure I get the big deal with Weapon X. I put it at about a .8 Saxtonation in terms of convoluted finishers.

I think the camera angle was just bad when he did it. It's pretty brutal looking though. Definitely takes a while to set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7gzksLTlQ

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

I hope Hobbs leans more into being a face. I think the only face hoss we have now is Luchasaurus? I read the staredowns Hobbs gave his opponents as more of him letting them know that he's not backing down no matter what they throw at him. It was that confident look, the same he gave Lance Archer (!) in the Battle Royale, that shows Hobbs' willpower.

I also love that he forced a hand lock after Sean gave him a cheap shot with the first lock up, and then picked Sean up by that locked out hand/arm. It was a cool way of showing how Hobbs honors a challenge, as well as an impressive show of strength.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

They pretty consistently bring up that Hobbs wrestles in honor of the memory of his brother, so I think they’ll probably be using him as a face.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

They pretty consistently bring up that Hobbs wrestles in honor of the memory of his brother, so I think they’ll probably be using him as a face.

WWE would turn him heel and have him cut a promo on his brother.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OB_Juan posted:

If they do a three way match, then either they will both pin Lee, or he'll pin both of them. If either of them do a singles match vs Lee, the universe will fold in on itself.

I could see them doing something where Cutler squares off against Johnson, and Avalon comes out and costs Cutler the match, and then the following week, have Avalon vs Johnson, and have Cutler return the favor.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Not Dark, but Dark adjacent:
https://twitter.com/gcwrestling_/status/1304220011674951684?s=21

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Haha no way! That's too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

that show is gonna be good as gently caress