Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

John DiFool posted:

probably not as fun and cool as a finished mgsv

Funnily enough, Sahelanthropus heavily features in Survive which takes place in a destroyed alt-future offshoot of the MGS world. It's rusted and in pieces in Africa (near the Code Talker mansion), implying that in the Survive game world the Chapter 3 Mission #51 stuff happened. Konami agrees with you lol

edit: You seem like you've got a chip on your shoulder about the Konami/Kojima business and I agree that they did do him pretty dirty but obviously it didn't slow him down much given the very thread we're talking about this in. I think Survive is an excellent game that makes really great use of MGSV's most lackluster and mismanaged feature (the open world) while controlling mostly the same and featuring mostly the same systems. It is MGSV's game world and engine, but more, and different.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

if Kojima was still with Konami would DS have even been made?

Unlikely. It's profoundly self-indulgent but fortunately it worked out in the end. To be fair, Kojima does seem like someone who likes to take his time with a project for better or worse, and that's going to cost more and more money. We'll probably never get the "ultimate" Kojima game because that would mean unlimited time and money but then again it's probably a good thing that there's some control over him, but not to the extent of MGS5 where he had to deliver an unfinished game.

It's not a good thing to restrict Kojima too much but it's definitely a good thing to give him an editor.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Snowy posted:

I can see how this song might work for pumping up energy but goddamn it’s bad.

that's part of what makes it so good

it's a stupid rock song with enthusiastically bad lyrics played over an anime man jumping on missiles mid-flight like stepping stones so he can cut a giant robot in half with a sword

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I do feel like Metal Gear had really run its course and V seems like a decent end, even if we lost the last bit of the game. DS does have pacing issues with the last act being a nonstop cut scene, but it does feel very complete at least. I feel like the setting has a full arc and there isnt much else i want from it.

i hope he has another batshit story for his next game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Konami treated Kojima like trash in the end, but lbr MGSV was never going to get finished at the pace he was making it. It is an incredibly bare game saved only by the core gameplay being so loving good it lends itself to replayability.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MGSV has the best 3rd person action game controls ever and I doubt they'll be surpassed any time soon. That game feels so loving good to play it's unreal.

As for MGR music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAPgPH9hsI

I don't care if it's "bad" the music works so well with the game that you can't not respect it at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, here's something interesting I noticed today regarding the Veteran Porter. Being part of BRIDGES I, he's wearing the old porter suit Sam was also wearing at the start of the game:

But look! His has shoulder harnesses for putting stuff on his arms, like on Sam's new suit. Where's my unlockable classic porter outfit dammit!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

By the way, here's something interesting I noticed today regarding the Veteran Porter. Being part of BRIDGES I, he's wearing the old porter suit Sam was also wearing at the start of the game:

But look! His has shoulder harnesses for putting stuff on his arms, like on Sam's new suit. Where's my unlockable classic porter outfit dammit!

It's in the same place the unlockable Max Payne leather jacket is in. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man I wish this game had unlockable outfits. Being able to customize your suit color after you beat the game is nice but I wish there were some more substantial ones for completionists.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Cut content and snark aside, I've always been uncomfortable with labeling MGSV as an "unfinished" work.

Kojima and his staff completed it. They shipped it. Kojima's repeatedly said he's pleased with the finished product and he considers it a "complete" experience. I'm sure he would have liked to include more, but that's probably true for every game he's ever worked on--every game anyone's ever made even.

Konami deciding to stop making games sucks, and they did it with as little class and respect as possible, but Kojima's never seemed as bitter about it as some of his fans are. Granted, I don't think Kojima is being totally candid, and I doubt we'll ever get a complete picture of what that final year of development on MGSV was like, but MGSV does exist. It's good. It's massive. It's crazy. People are still attacking FOBs and dismantling nukes.

I dunno. Calling it unfinished just because it doesn't check every thing on the list and that there's a never-ending Chapter Three as part of the narrative never felt fair to me. While that video of a second Sahelanthropus encounter with Liquid does exists, I think MGSV was always intended to have a feeling of incompleteness linger at the end.

I have this old PSM magazine with a interview with Kojima from around 2005 I think. I pick it up and read it every once and a while because I think it's interesting. It's the one where he got some criticism for saying "A game is not art". In it he says every game is, in a sense, incomplete. He compares his job to that of a museum curator, inviting patrons to step inside his worlds and interact with his exhibitions. He concludes by saying it's that player interaction that completes the game and where one can find "art" in video games.

Dude simply does not think like most human beings. Or he's just talking out his rear end. You decide! :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I mean, there is an actual footage out there of the last chapter of MGS5 that reads "X% finished" that details the actual end of MGSV's main story that isn't in the game so I don't know how people don't consider it unifinished when that's not in the game.

MGSV does a lot of incredible things, mostly gameplay wise, and goes a long way in trying to bridge the gap in the whole mythology of Metal Gear and succeeds in it, but the story of MGSV specifically isn't in the released game. That's just a fact.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Funnily enough, Sahelanthropus heavily features in Survive which takes place in a destroyed alt-future offshoot of the MGS world. It's rusted and in pieces in Africa (near the Code Talker mansion), implying that in the Survive game world the Chapter 3 Mission #51 stuff happened. Konami agrees with you lol

edit: You seem like you've got a chip on your shoulder about the Konami/Kojima business and I agree that they did do him pretty dirty but obviously it didn't slow him down much given the very thread we're talking about this in. I think Survive is an excellent game that makes really great use of MGSV's most lackluster and mismanaged feature (the open world) while controlling mostly the same and featuring mostly the same systems. It is MGSV's game world and engine, but more, and different.

Survive is literally an asset reuse game.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

CJacobs posted:

Survive is so fun and cool.

Hey CJacobs, this is Bad Takeman, this is a bad take. That means the game is bad and you should feel bad for enjoying it. Hope this helps you.

I did buy it for like 4 bucks used, and played it for like 6 hours and some parts of it are fun and I could see where it was going, but holy poo poo, it was so bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lots of games are released objectively unfinished, and MGSV is one of them, and there's nothing wrong with still loving the poo poo out of the game and thinking it does pretty alright having a beginning, middle and end all things considered.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

esperterra posted:

Lots of games are released objectively unfinished, and MGSV is one of them, and there's nothing wrong with still loving the poo poo out of the game and thinking it does pretty alright having a beginning, middle and end all things considered.

MGS5 closes the loop in the grand saga but doesn't get to finish its own story which is a huge shame. But above all I'm bummed that the specific gameplay MGS5 offers won't be used again (MG Survive doesn't matter) after how much work went into it. The Fox Engine is genuinely one of the most tragic stories of game development for all the potential it had.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

John DiFool posted:

Survive is literally an asset reuse game.

It was also $30 new.

edit: Actually I think it was $40 and it was perma-discounted to $30 after the final title update, but yes you are correct, it reuses many of MGSV's assets. I listed that in my post as a positive because it's not a bad thing, they're repurposed in an interesting way.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Thinking about hoofing it to the First Prepper manually every single time made me take frenzy damage just now

Quoting to let you know that I appreciated this reference.

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Orange is corpse disposal and I...forgot what they said white was just the other day in my replay. He's stuck in his house anyway.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

esperterra posted:

I just wanna rep Metal Gear Ac!d for a second

Metal Gear Ac!d loving owns

I’ve been curious since the game came out - how do you actually put ammo into your guns in metal gear ac!d

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dangerburrd posted:

I’ve been curious since the game came out - how do you actually put ammo into your guns in metal gear ac!d

Play another weapon of the same caliber on top of it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cmpterjones posted:

Sam, Cold Brew-Man here. We've got a special order for you at Lake Knot City. There's a few cases of new Java Monster Mean Bean we need you to get to South Knot City. The people need the wide open, take-no-prisoners attitude of Java Monster to truly cope with and perhaps even solve the mysteries of the Death Stranding. I don't need to tell you how important it is that we get this intense, premium coffee flavor to the people after all they've been through.

Sam, Booze Chugman here. We need you to pick up some timefall porter at the farm and bring it back to m- uh, us, at HQ. This is very important for Bridges and for reconnecting America.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

FAUXTON posted:

Sam, Booze Chugman here. We need you to pick up some timefall porter at the farm and bring it back to m- uh, us, at HQ. This is very important for Bridges and for reconnecting America.

You drink timefall porter to make the hangover go away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Only just now realized that of course the style of beer they make is "porter".

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sam, Delirium Tremans here. Where's that delivery of beer?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A timed order where you have to deliver a bunch of beers to someone before they die of alcohol withdrawal and you get there and it's just Higgs and Sam makes his Norman Reedus :manning: face but then Higgs shares

edit: But then when Sam goes to drink up...

:rubshands:

HIGGS!!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Is it possible to unlock the other colour outfits for Sam as I go along?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, because it's one of the rewards for beating the game . Would've been cool if your suit color changed according to the type of delivery you're doing or something like that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

No, because it's one of the rewards for beating the game . Would've been cool if your suit color changed according to the type of delivery you're doing or something like that.

What are the other rewards for beating the game? I haven't picked it back up since I beat it yet, wondering if there's a whole bunch more added to it. Also, can you pretty much do any deliveries you haven't done yet in the post-game world or are some locked?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't remember there being anything else you can only do in the post game

Every delivery can still be done in post game though, even Higgs and the Elders deliveries after they die.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Truant posted:

What are the other rewards for beating the game? I haven't picked it back up since I beat it yet, wondering if there's a whole bunch more added to it. Also, can you pretty much do any deliveries you haven't done yet in the post-game world or are some locked?

You can do any of the 500 standard orders and redo any of the tutorial orders that you get graded on, in case you want to go for S ranks. You unlock the final pizza delivery for Peter Englert and the rewards therein, though I think you can technically do it just before finishing the game when you're in the aurora borealis rain hellzone. There are also a whole slew of 'epilogue' interviews that unlock for each of the characters and the game world in general as you continue to deliver stuff, and a new series of logs about Sam and his wife that explains his backstory. Nothing substantial really changes since the post-game is set two weeks before the inauguration (i.e. the actual ending), but some of the delivery destination characters do send you emails about Die Hardman's impending presidency and the truth about Amelie and stuff.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

You can do any of the 500 standard orders and redo any of the tutorial orders that you get graded on, in case you want to go for S ranks. You unlock the final pizza delivery for Peter Englert and the rewards therein, though I think you can technically do it just before finishing the game when you're in the aurora borealis rain hellzone. There are also a whole slew of 'epilogue' interviews that unlock for each of the characters and the game world in general as you continue to deliver stuff, and a new series of logs about Sam and his wife that explains his backstory. Nothing substantial really changes since the post-game is set two weeks before the inauguration (i.e. the actual ending), but some of the delivery destination characters do send you emails about Die Hardman's impending presidency and the truth about Amelie and stuff.

Ooh gently caress, more interviews might have me jump into this sooner than I anticipated, those were probably my favourite part of the game.

repiv posted:

I don't remember there being anything else you can only do in the post game

Every delivery can still be done in post game though, even Higgs and the Elders deliveries after they die.

I must've absolutely missed any deliveries for Higgs, but the Elder in my game is still alive and kicking I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for the answers, y'all.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cobbsprite posted:

You drink timefall porter to make the hangover go away.

Sam, Hairofthe Dogman here. We’ve been monitoring your blood alcohol content, and I’ve gotta say... I’m impressed. Grab some downtime in your room—we’ve spiked your Monster. When you’re ready, check the terminal for your next assignment. Or give me a call if the screen’s moving too much.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Johnny Truant posted:

Ooh gently caress, more interviews might have me jump into this sooner than I anticipated, those were probably my favourite part of the game.

I must've absolutely missed any deliveries for Higgs, but the Elder in my game is still alive and kicking I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for the answers, y'all.

Major spoiler on Higgs: Peter Englart, the jerk who keeps ordering pizza and not being there when you deliver it, is Higgs using a pseudonym.

You can complete the final delivery during the Aurora Borealis sequence and it gives you some nice gun upgrades.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Is it possible to unlock the other colour outfits for Sam as I go along?

Only after you beat the game unfortunately

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam. This is Mike's Hardman. We've developed a new flavor of Monster Energy for your canteen- lemonade, with a twist. Perfect companion for a relaxing day at the beach. Er, not that Beach, of course.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Just realized you create mushrooms in this game in addition to the Mario thing...makes you think.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

night slime posted:

Just realized you create mushrooms in this game in addition to the Mario thing...makes you think.

See my sig

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm princess speachless

night slime
May 14, 2014
Just noticed the game plays an animation if you put your shoes on from the D-pad while sitting on the ground. For some reason if you try to take a photo it zooms out and blurs it. No foot fetish allowed.

Also at the beginning tutorial it seems like your feet are bloody in the private room by default, you have shoes on the whole time I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam probably hurts his foot when the bike crashes at the very start, it's just a fun bit of continuity to go with the scenes where the BTs step in his blood and are driven away. That blood had to come out of his shoes from somewhere!