Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The first Eden boss' ultimate is also heavily leaning on Supernova, it not in name and appearance, but definitely in spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

The first Eden boss' ultimate is also heavily leaning on Supernova, it not in name and appearance, but definitely in spirit.

It's based on the Eden summon from FF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Nqt0B3MHQ

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
even the attack being annoyingly long to resolve is a reference

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/thetoughestbean/status/1299925591928561665?s=21

Now to beat Elidibus at least nine more times so I can get the tank weapons

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Actually you need to do it 98 more times, get the dragon on your 99th clear and then realize you actually already have all the weapons from blindly hitting greed.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/thetoughestbean/status/1300344887297089537?s=21

Elidibus stole my look so I stole his weapons

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/asciangrandpa/status/1302111335744966657

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So the Estinian solo fight against Arch Ultima makes a hell of a lot more sense now that we're deep into the Weapon storyline. There's a reason Arch Ultima is covered in several copies of the Heart of Sabik, what we know now are basically job stones, and why the Garleans talk about a synthetic auracite system. And why Arch Ultima uses first abilities from Junia in Castrum Meridianum, then from Inferno in Castrum Abania: it's the same thing the fully fledged Weapons do. And that poor bastard welded into the top of Arch Ultima must be how the Weapon pilots are fused into the Weapons.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dwarf Bloodsworn quest is a nice sendoff.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cythereal posted:

So the Estinian solo fight against Arch Ultima makes a hell of a lot more sense now that we're deep into the Weapon storyline. There's a reason Arch Ultima is covered in several copies of the Heart of Sabik, what we know now are basically job stones, and why the Garleans talk about a synthetic auracite system. And why Arch Ultima uses first abilities from Junia in Castrum Meridianum, then from Inferno in Castrum Abania: it's the same thing the fully fledged Weapons do. And that poor bastard welded into the top of Arch Ultima must be how the Weapon pilots are fused into the Weapons.

Since there's so many Ivalice callbacks coming up with Bozjan Liberation, this makes me wonder if 6.0 won't also have heavy Ivalice influence too, even though Garlemald in general is obviously very heavily inspired by the Magitek Empire from FF6. Garlean Soul Crystals are thematically similar in form and function to Manufacted Nethicite, and Garlemald, like Archadia, wants to smash the Gods while also being the puppet of one.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hogama posted:

Dwarf Bloodsworn quest is a nice sendoff.

I was so happy with that, I was expecting her to do it in one of the earlier quests when the chiefs started giving them poo poo.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just want to point out that both the dwarves and the ancient dudes that sound like charlie brown teachers have the power to create amazing things and also get pissy if you wear anything non-standardized

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I did both the Dwarf capstone quest and the SCH 80 quest tonight so it was an evening of lalafellin showing their faces.

For the latter I was like, oh they have a specific dialogue if you did the Giott - Lamitt story? Until I remembered that you would have been guaranteed to do the role quest to get there

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

blatman posted:

I just want to point out that both the dwarves and the ancient dudes that sound like charlie brown teachers have the power to create amazing things and also get pissy if you wear anything non-standardized

They aren't the only ones that have some ties to the times before. Sharlayans have several, visual and otherwise.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
gridania also has the wood wailer masks, you even get to wear one for a quest if its your starting city. its a cool theme that a lot of stuff from ~the before times~ has carried on thru the games modern societies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

They aren't the only ones that have some ties to the times before. Sharlayans have several, visual and otherwise.

Never forget what a big loving dork Alphinaud was, and continues to be.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That seriously has to be one of the worst NPC outfits in any game ever.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

It's hard to believe, with what we've seen of their personalities since their introduction, that Alphinaud and Alisaie would at one point have agreed to wear the same outfit, let alone one so clownishly stupid.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Namnesor posted:

It's hard to believe, with what we've seen of their personalities since their introduction, that Alphinaud and Alisaie would at one point have agreed to wear the same outfit, let alone one so clownishly stupid.

I'm sure it was a gift from their grandfather or something, like their matching books. Alisaie had a whole thing with being totally devoted to the guy's legacy; I have no trouble believing she'd wear it if it was from him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The historical notes on Sharlayan cuisine also apply to their fashion

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Sharlayan fashion icon Krile Baldesion

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm still not sure what those outfits are meant to convey. I was pretty sure they were time travellers in the pre waking sands cutscenes where they're hanging out in the background and going "hmm interesting"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

fool of sound posted:

Gown woman wearing a moogle coat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Crosspost: three fashion icons

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Showing off the new dance I learned to all the Scions

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I'm still not sure what those outfits are meant to convey. I was pretty sure they were time travellers in the pre waking sands cutscenes where they're hanging out in the background and going "hmm interesting"

Weird sheltered twins. They're the video game version of those weird twins you knew as a kid whose parents gave them complementary names and made them dress the same.

Their outfit is coming to the Mogstation and it's called "Sharlayan Prodigy's Outfit", so maybe it's just some weird rear end Sharlayan fashion.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

wizardofloneliness posted:

Weird sheltered twins. They're the video game version of those weird twins you knew as a kid whose parents gave them complementary names and made them dress the same.

Their outfit is coming to the Mogstation and it's called "Sharlayan Prodigy's Outfit", so maybe it's just some weird rear end Sharlayan fashion.

I think Alisae mentioned once that outfit was dear old dad's idea?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fool of sound posted:

https://twitter.com/elfwifecity/status/1239822533639065601

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

rod and tod except one of them is dangerously violent

the outfits were actually what they made you wear at sharlayan community college for hazing but they didn't have the social skills necessary to understand what was going on so they just kept wearing it for several years post-graduation

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

squad goals

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Namnesor posted:

They literally agree to do this for the pixies in the ShB MSQ several times though?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

jalapeno_dude posted:

They literally agree to do this for the pixies in the ShB MSQ several times though?

everything they do with the pixies is under enormous duress

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to assume their parents made them do it as a condition for going to Eorzea in the first place. Just make the experience as unpleasant as possible for them.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I'm going to assume their parents made them do it as a condition for going to Eorzea in the first place. Just make the experience as unpleasant as possible for them.

I wholeheartedly believe this.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know it's obviously not true due to completely diverging story and time-line stuff, but I really desperately wanted tactics, XII and XIV to be in the same world and that would have been such a rad reveal at the time if it were the case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They seem to be, in a sense. I mean, Fran was right there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That would have been awful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thinking about Hythlodaeus saying how heavy the burden of your promise to Emet-Selch must be, to remember the Amaurotines. I hope there's some content at some point, either in the msq or in some side content, about you doing something to fulfill that promise, and do something to ensure that the memory of the ancients doesn't die with you. A monument, or a book, or something that will outlive you

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cheetah7071 posted:

Thinking about Hythlodaeus saying how heavy the burden of your promise to Emet-Selch must be, to remember the Amaurotines. I hope there's some content at some point, either in the msq or in some side content, about you doing something to fulfill that promise, and do something to ensure that the memory of the ancients doesn't die with you. A monument, or a book, or something that will outlive you

Obviously we go to Jeromis and tell him to make a new play

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
The Bozja Incident feels oddly familiar, in that a similar event came up in the Crystal Tower raid story. Didn’t the Allagans try to harness some type of power that ended up being too much for the Tower and took out the surrounding area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nibble posted:

The Bozja Incident feels oddly familiar, in that a similar event came up in the Crystal Tower raid story. Didn’t the Allagans try to harness some type of power that ended up being too much for the Tower and took out the surrounding area?

To a degree, yes, the Third Calamity that took out Allag was caused by Allag using the Crystal Tower to launch Dalamud, which hosed up the area and knocked the Tower underground. And then the Seventh was caused by dragging Dalamud back down.

EDIT: got bits of this wrong, to be expected when you haven't slept in 24 hours.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 10, 2020