Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nibble posted:

The Bozja Incident feels oddly familiar, in that a similar event came up in the Crystal Tower raid story. Didn’t the Allagans try to harness some type of power that ended up being too much for the Tower and took out the surrounding area?

More or less. The Fourth Umbral Calamity was caused by Xande attempting to call down the entire stored power of Dalamud into the Crystal Tower at once in order to tear open a Voidgate to fulfill his pact with the Cloud of Darkness. It proved too much for the Tower to bear, and the resulting energy spilled out, causing a world-shattering quake.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nibble posted:

The Bozja Incident feels oddly familiar, in that a similar event came up in the Crystal Tower raid story. Didn’t the Allagans try to harness some type of power that ended up being too much for the Tower and took out the surrounding area?

That either is the incident you're thinking of or you're getting mixed up with the fall of the Allagan Empire, where the activation of Dalamud's energy transfer to the crystal tower caused the land around the tower to shatter and massive earthquakes to break out all over the world.

Vermain posted:

More or less. [spoiler]The Fourth Umbral Calamity was caused by Xande attempting to call down the entire stored power of Dalamud into the Crystal Tower at once in order to tear open a Voidgate to fulfill his pact with the Cloud of Darkness. It proved too much for the Tower to bear, and the resulting energy spilled out, causing a world-shattering quake.

Its funnier than that, IIRC. The tower was reinforced to handle the energy flow, but they didn't think to reinforce the terrain around the tower from the sheer force of the energy transfer. The ground under the tower shattered/disintegrated, plunging the tower into the earth and severing the connection. This resulted in Dalamud just beaming all that raw energy into the land itself, causing such devastation. (This was NOT Xande's intention! :v:)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 10, 2020

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sorry, didn't mean to use spoiler tags up there. My brain's out to lunch today and I thought I was in the main thread. v:shobon:v

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Of course, given what we now know, their calculations were probably correct; they just didn't take into account a heaping helping of earth-aspected aether being delivered at the same time, courtesy of the Ascians.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope the last leg of the Neir raid pulls more from Neir OG. We've had one whole raid of Machine Lifeform tech, one whole one of Yorha poo poo. Give me some Shades.

Or a bunch of those AI ghosts that look like Manah.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope the last leg of the Neir raid pulls more from Neir OG. We've had one whole raid of Machine Lifeform tech, one whole one of Yorha poo poo. Give me some Shades.

last nier raid is just the automata hacking minigame except 24 people at once, please look forward to it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I would assume the final part of the raid will involve the Tower, Devils/Popola, and A2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There better fuckin be Emil that's all I gotta say

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Regy Rusty posted:

There better fuckin be Emil that's all I gotta say

Yeah. Emil, A2, Devola/Popola, Some Other Boss, would make 4 bosses.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

blatman posted:

last nier raid is just the automata hacking minigame except 24 people at once, please look forward to it

One alliance has to forfeit their chance at the costumes/music/minions in order to give everyone a buff that's mandatory to clear the raid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BisbyWorl posted:

One alliance has to forfeit their chance at the costumes/music/minions in order to give everyone a buff that's mandatory to clear the raid.

Deleting housing districts would be more like deleting your save.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was afraid they went too hard too quick with the Weight of the World remix in the first raid. The only way to top that would be Emil (Despair)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Third story has gone up. This one focusing on Emet and Elidibus.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ifrita, huh...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

man they just keep twisting the knife with regards to emet-selch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I was afraid they went too hard too quick with the Weight of the World remix in the first raid. The only way to top that would be Emil (Despair)

Remixes of Emil (Despair) and A Beautiful Song in the same raid would be incredible. Especially if they also bring back Weight of the World in a boss phase. Like, that might seem overly ambitious, but Dun Scaith has a similarly insane concentration of good music.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

BisbyWorl posted:

Third story has gone up. This one focusing on Emet and Elidibus.

drat, I was 100% wrong casting doubt on the "Elidibus was a kid" theory. hosed up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay so I guess he's a kid

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in 5.5 we finally see the manifested, non-crystal form of zodiark. it's a squid now

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FFXIV's writers are really fuckin good at subtext. What started out as a "huh, that's an interesting theory" quickly spread across all the internet and now the short story comes out and yup, those things were all actually intended to be hints.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Azem goes to defy "fate" itself to save a rare gathering point.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Azem saves an island by realising that they cannot fight a volcano so they turn the volcano into a primal so they can punch it

Truly, we are the inheritor of that legacy

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Azem saves an island by realising that they cannot fight a volcano so they turn the volcano into a primal so they can punch it

It's great. He truly was the proto-adventurer. :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

Interestingly, that's basically what we've been doing with Eden but in reverse. She was on to something.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Hogama posted:

Azem goes to defy "fate" itself to save a rare gathering point.
They knew we'd need those grapes later to be turned into fine wine for endless fetch quests.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The grapes are just Azem picking the wry/joking answer to why they wants to save a bunch of people's homes instead of them being forced to relocate.

It is probably also true though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/archonbread/status/1304034871401218049?s=19

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Emet Selch going “but how could Azem get the concept of Ifrita— ugh, Hythlodaeus” is great

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Shivalry does sound like something the Amaurotians would have invented.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/leveiilleur/status/1303991337822416900?s=19

So he's young and short but not a child

E: In the Sunken Temple of Qarn, where Azeyma is worshipped, the combo to open the boss door is the fire of magic and the fruit of knowledge.

Gwapes.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 10, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really care what it says in JP tbh

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I think it's neat to compare the various different localizations for stuff as long as people dont get weird about it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sure, but my point is that we shouldn't be acting like the conversation is just over because the JP version said X, if that wasn't clear.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, I feel like "the original writer specifically used a word for young adults and not children" does in fact wrap it up.

Yes, he was quite young; no, he was not a kid.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I feel like "the original writer specifically used a word for young adults and not children" does in fact wrap it up.

There's no proof that the story was written in Japanese.

I'm entirely serious here--interviews at fanfests etc in the past have mentioned that all the localization teams are involved in collaborating on story details.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
if people really dig the idea of him being a teenaged alphinaud-analogue type character thats cool too imo, personally I just prefer the idea of him being a young adult cuz I thought him being an actual kid sounded dumb as hell. the fanarts been super cute regardless

https://twitter.com/_tnx88/status/1304049112107511808?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rand Brittain posted:

Not only do we not know that the story was Japanese, as mentioned above, "seinen" does not actually have the exact same connotations as "young adult" does in English. It could very easily mean "teenager."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mister Olympus posted:

There's no proof that the story was written in Japanese.

I'm entirely serious here--interviews at fanfests etc in the past have mentioned that all the localization teams are involved in collaborating on story details.

From what I understand is that the scripts are written at the same time, but they use the same bible.

As for the short story that people are referencing, I don’t know if one version is written before the other, but, given that the Japanese version doesn’t contradict the English one, it’s safe to assume it’s choices are canon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also nothing stopping Elidibus form having been appointed to the Convocation as a child and this taking place a few years after that when he's grown up a bit. People aren't typically children their entire lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

At this point they've had multiple opportunities to make it clear that Elidibus was an Actual Kid and passed them by, so...

Wait, the Alphinaud reference made me think of the twins and their eternal puberty, and I realized that FFXIV has teenager-adult colorblindness.