Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Barbershop Mod is great, this game is great.

You can put beards on children

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a comment on the Offspring-murder-by-combat talk. Remember that someone being craven drastically decreases their chances of dying in battle.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Anyone have tips for how to fill my ridiculous number of knight openings? Playing norse tribal military tree and you get some pretty sweet bonuses from having lots of knights but I can never keep up with finding enough with decent prowess, even when inviting them as much as possible (especially when forbidding council members). And where would you put the cutoff for min useful prowess? 10-ish?

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 9, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok so I eventually just said gently caress it and played the starter Irish king from the tutorial and finally figured this game out. I mean, I wound up doing terribly and I'm usually broke, but I kinda got the hang of it.

It does seem like trying to expand your rule by marriage and offspring will take far too long, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wallet posted:

There's one that gives you +2 to a random stat for every friend you have, which makes your ruler incredibly good at everything if you start with enough diplomacy to befriend people quickly and has no diminishing returns.

Yeah, my previous ruler went that route, by and large you can befriend like 1.25 people a year, more if you luck into various events / expenditures that speed that process up. By the time she kicked the bucket she had something like +10 to each stat on average just from that.
Also because that perk requires that you also have the -5% stress per friend, she was taking single-digit stress increases when poo poo hit the fan.

Broken Cog posted:

Just a comment on the Offspring-murder-by-combat talk. Remember that someone being craven drastically decreases their chances of dying in battle.

Yeah, I think Brave has something like a +100% death-by-combat modifier, conversely.

Chewbot posted:

Anyone have tips for how to fill my ridiculous number of knight openings? Playing norse tribal military tree and you get some pretty sweet bonuses from having lots of knights but I can never keep up with finding enough with decent prowess, even when inviting them as much as possible. And where would you put the cutoff for min useful prowess? 10-ish?

Providing you don't have any alternatives, there's no point in having a cutoff.
Anyhow, a prime way of getting more of them is to recruit people you capture. Since you'll often be capturing knights from the opposing side during battles etc.
(If you do the negotiate release/middle button on prisoners, one of the options is to just recruit them to your court in exchange for releasing them. Often you can also do hook+recruit, or religios conversion + recruit etc on them.
It's especially useful with characters you can't ransom, and don't want to execute, etc.)
e: Also, if your marshal isn't busy increasing control in regions, it could be worth having him train up your knights, since that'll give them prowess boosts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

blue squares posted:

Ok so I eventually just said gently caress it and played the starter Irish king from the tutorial and finally figured this game out. I mean, I wound up doing terribly and I'm usually broke, but I kinda got the hang of it.

It does seem like trying to expand your rule by marriage and offspring will take far too long, though.

Marriage is important for alliances and offspring can get you into places that force won't (especially important when you aren't literally the biggest blob on the map). It goes hand in hand with conquest.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

Marriage to get claims/titles is a long term plan and is usually only worth it when you are at the point where you want to merge kingdoms together. Usually it's better to marry for alliances or positive inheritable traits (I usually go for inheritable traits for my main heir's spouse to try to breed them into my direct line, and then marry off their siblings for alliances).

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

SubNat posted:

Providing you don't have any alternatives, there's no point in having a cutoff.
Anyhow, a prime way of getting more of them is to recruit people you capture. Since you'll often be capturing knights from the opposing side during battles etc.
(If you do the negotiate release/middle button on prisoners, one of the options is to just recruit them to your court in exchange for releasing them. Often you can also do hook+recruit, or religios conversion + recruit etc on them.
It's especially useful with characters you can't ransom, and don't want to execute, etc.)
e: Also, if your marshal isn't busy increasing control in regions, it could be worth having him train up your knights, since that'll give them prowess boosts.

Thanks a bunch! Good to know Prowess isnt that big a deal, I guess you can always replace them later if you need to.

I was aware of negotiating for prisoners, which I've been taking a ton of, but my ruler (and wife) have absolutely miserable diplomacy, so I'm worried about putting people in my court that hate me. Or is that not really a problem if they just stay unlanded knights?

Great tip about Marshal training, I just have him non-stop putting out fires so I forgot this existed at all.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 9, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Wallet posted:

There's one that gives you +2 to a random stat for every friend you have, which makes your ruler incredibly good at everything if you start with enough diplomacy to befriend people quickly and has no diminishing returns.

yeah if you're gonna go diplomacy the family hierarch tree is much better for massive stats

tbh I only ever pick up Defensive Negotiations in the Diplomat tree.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chewbot posted:

Thanks a bunch! Good to know Prowess isnt that big a deal, I guess you can always replace them later if you need to.

I was aware of negotiating for prisoners, which I've been taking a ton of, but my ruler (and wife) have absolutely miserable diplomacy, so I'm worried about putting people in my court that hate me. Or is that not really a problem if they just stay unlanded knights?

Great tip about Marshal training, I just have him non-stop putting out fires so I forgot this existed at all.

Yeah having people in your court hate you isn't that big a deal - it puts you at risk of assassination since they might be willing to join plots against you, but if they have garbage intrigue scores they won't be much of a threat.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Chewbot posted:

--- so I'm worried about putting people in my court that hate me. Or is that not really a problem if they just stay unlanded knights?

I mean, Prowess is useful, but if the choice is between having an empty slot, and a 1 prowess 90 year old then that's still a slight numeric advantage.
That is based on the assumption that all knight x knight interactions are simply generated based on what the army stacks do to eachother, as opposed to working on a separate system where they're going head to head.

But yeah, you can swap 'em out freely at any time, so it's not something to stress over too much.

As for them disliking you, it's just a temporary thing that fades away after a couple years, and it's just like -20 or something like that. And as Chesire points out, they're not that particularly dangerous anyhow.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wish I hadn't given my religion armed pilgrimage. I'm the largest power following by an order of magnitude, which means the Patriarch calls for random crusades that basically require me to participate if there's any chance of victory and then I don't get the land and the crusade state converts to islam or whatever shortly thereafter.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Matriarchal religion is such a trap cause it gives you the same problem as Patriarchal where it makes half of your characters mostly useless.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

I wish I hadn't given my religion armed pilgrimage. I'm the largest power following by an order of magnitude, which means the Patriarch calls for random crusades that basically require me to participate if there's any chance of victory and then I don't get the land and the crusade state converts to islam or whatever shortly thereafter.

Yeah crusader states should definitely have some kind of flag that gives a significant penalty to the AI's desire to convert to the local religion. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a crusade if you're just going to convert a year after winning it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

sorority thunderdome game going great.

Started by gobbling up the weak neighbors and raiding mostly until I could get my first ducal title. Then by just gobbling up more I found myself able to make the kingdom of hausaland (since I had cut off my husband from western expansion). A few matriarchs down the line, I got one with full intrigue but poo poo stats in the rest that made me puzzled in how to expand. The dead husband had expanded eastward and very quickly made a huge kingdom of Karem(Kanem?) that span almost all the way to Nubia. And lo and behold I realize the current king had paltry troops, with most of his 8k troops coming from allies, and my current queen having a claim on the throne. The king of Karem had too much intrigue protection... but not his allies. A few stabs later, a few broken alliances later, and bam. I held enough land to form the empire. Added a big pilgrimage after that and got enough piety to reform Bori.

Now I'm just creating a kwisatz haderach super being of learning stats (up to 35) to quickly go through the techs and saving as much cash as possible for the transition. Capital is in Sokoto for the better lands.

Game good.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I get the impression that most of those conversions are a response to populist rebel demands. They are quite silly, though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So a cosmetic mod that I was running inadvertedly broke by grandaughter's wrist. Who knew?

(spoiled for mild :stonk: factor)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eej posted:

Matriarchal religion is such a trap cause it gives you the same problem as Patriarchal where it makes half of your characters mostly useless.

I'll be that guy and say that equality is the real trap in the early game. It turns every single one of your children into land-demanding heirs instead of just half of them. I'm definitely holding off on that until High Partition at the earliest in my future campaigns.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'll be that guy and say that equality is the real trap in the early game. It turns every single one of your children into land-demanding heirs instead of just half of them. I'm definitely holding off on that until High Partition at the earliest in my future campaigns.

Yeah I was looking at that when I was reforming my religion, then realized "oh poo poo, feminism will mean I'll have to land all my daughters too doesn't it. Fuuuuck that" :v:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to filter the "find character" screen by characters who will accept an invitation to your court? As Sicily, I just conquered the Sultanate of Africa in a Holy War, so I need to hand out about 20 titles to clean all of this up, and I don't have enough people already in my court that I want to land.

Also, I might be misremembering, but wasn't there some function in CK2 to automatically hand out excess titles when you have a ton of em?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

So I'd never played a Crusader Kings before and I'm really digging it, but I have some questions! Admittedly I've only played for ~20 hours and haven't attained the game mastery to do more than react to rival vassals / scheme at a knife fight range- no multigenerational masterplans to make a kwisaatz-haderach yet. I am wondering if there is, or going to be, more fun interactions with developing your holdings- as it stands it seems very slow and the return on investments are in the multi-decades. If there's more to the occasional "increase revenue or military power" small bump, I've yet to see it. Am I overlooking things, or being too short sighted?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's pros/cons of having easier inheritance over doubling your character pool. Equality is so good if you're going knight heavy cause you have so many extra bodies to slaughter peasants with.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

There are some great QoL mods out already, my favorites are:

Extended Outliner
Basically makes the outliner much more like the CK2 one - you can see opinion and relationship on pinned characters, troop counts and siege status on your armies, and your holdings now list their levies, tax income, and have warning icons for low control and building available.

Moveable Suggestions
Does what it says in the title, if you're sick of right clicking those banners to see the suggestions window you can now put it wherever you want.

Nameplates
This one is really good - every time a big event pops up with character models it puts their name and relationship to you under their character model, as well as their current opinion of you. Great for a quick "wait who is this again?" without having to get deep in their profiles.

Find in Dynasty Tree
Just a little button to jump to a character in your tree from their page, kind of useless once you get 200+ dynasty members and the tree starts to chug.

There's lots of other stuff that changes gameplay, but these are nice if you want the "pure" experience but with a better UI.

e: Forgot to mention Brighter Progress Bars in general all the "brightening" mods are great

Wouldn't those all turn off achievements?

TheJanitor posted:

North Korea mode is back and more game breaking than ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCcZq8WxWJs, perhaps doing this will net enough pietry for Hellenism?

I cheated enough piety to convert to Hellenism, there's very little there.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 10, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Eej posted:

It's pros/cons of having easier inheritance over doubling your character pool. Equality is so good if you're going knight heavy cause you have so many extra bodies to slaughter peasants with.

I've started just rolling with the splits because your dynasty having a ton of titled rulers racks up legacy really quickly and you can get tons of benefits that way.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Arbite posted:

Wouldn't those all turn off achievements?

All except for Brighter Progress Bars, yes. But not everyone cares about achievements, especially on Steam where it's totally trivial to unlock them so they don't really convey any bragging rights or anything

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Hargrimm posted:

All except for Brighter Progress Bars, yes. But not everyone cares about achievements, especially on Steam where it's totally trivial to unlock them so they don't really convey any bragging rights or anything

And right now a bunch of achievements are bugged, anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hargrimm posted:

Personally with EU4 achievements I like sharing with my friends which ones I've attempted and seen which ones they've done because they usually give good stories and are always great hooks for a run

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Eej posted:

Ideal situation imo is having an equal religion but male or female preference succession law. Which, by the way, the 867 Daura start gets until you reform your faith.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Eej posted:

Personally with EU4 achievements I like sharing with my friends which ones I've attempted and seen which ones they've done because they usually give good stories and are always great hooks for a run

Yeah, for me a couple of the Achievements are mostly incentives to look at starts/playthroughs I would otherwise not be considering.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Most of the achievements (particularly the bugged ones :() look really fun. Those CK2 ones where you have to make Rome Hindu or conquer Mongolia as Norse or whatever were garbage.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
ya also you can just get a trainer and turn cheevos back on lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think my Kushite game might finally be off to a good start: started as a Coptic Kingdom instead, but had all my children educated by nearby Kushite who converted them. Got three Holy Sites. Now all I need is for my dude to die and see if his son can convert the Kingdom.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know the deal with people randomly joining my council and being non-fireable for 25 years? I just got an absolute imbecile as my steward and I'm displeased.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

bewbies posted:

Does anyone know the deal with people randomly joining my council and being non-fireable for 25 years? I just got an absolute imbecile as my steward and I'm displeased.

They probably had a hook on you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bewbies posted:

They're using hooks to gain a position.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

bewbies posted:

At some point they (or possibly someone who held their title previously.) used a hook to force their liege/you to change their feudal contract.
One of the things they often do is flick on the 'guaranteed council position' which gives them a decision to just barge onto your council.

On top of this, powerful vassals in your country get more and more pissed off the more of these guaranteed council position clauses there are around, because they themselves expect to be on the council.

It's frustrating and I'm not sure if there's an easy way to look up which contracts have it, but you can grab the person owning the title and use the 'modify feudal contract' decision to remove it, though doing so without a hook causes an opinion malus, and I think tyranny?

e: It's especially annoying because it's one of those things you easily overlook/forget about until some utter loving shitlicker of a 7-point steward bumbles their way onto the council, displacing your 25-point one.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Note that you can switch forced councilors to other, less damaging positions to get your good guys back in.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You think a seven point steward is bad? I had a guy enforce himself into being a 2 diplomacy chancellor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
People with hooks on me seem to have a lot of accidents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

is there any benefit from being on your king's council? i got a message saying he thought i was abhorrent but i'd make a good spymaster but i didn't seem to get any extra options, is it just a passive benefit to schemes against him?