Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Imagine deliberately missing out on the delivery of "I know, nailed it, moving on".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Imagine deliberately missing out on the delivery of "I know, nailed it, moving on".

It was still heck of good in glorious nihongo.

I'm doing a playthrough with the english v/o and it is good, much better than xv, but it seems like the body language that they're animated with match much better with the Japanese v/o

Also i don't speak Japanese so as far as i can tell it could be the best voice performances of all time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah this line alone is sheer perfection and justifies the dub even if the rest of the dub wasn't fan-loving-tastic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

titties posted:

Hi i just thought you should let you all know that the Japanese voice track is the one true way

Ya I did my first run on Japanese and used English on the hard run but turned back to Japanese. I think the delivery/lines are probably better in English but I prefer the Japanese VAs as the voice fits the characters a lot more imo.

Also just got through Hell House on hard mode, he is quite easy actually once you know what to do. Last time I couldn't capitalize on all his elemental weaknesses because I didn't have enough materia slots. The added Tonberries in the fight don't add much as the first few seconds they come in they fall on the floor and you can just burst them out with 2 triple strikes. Even his final form's hell attack is canceled if you have the right materia which I never had in the last fight. The only hard bit is when he swallows a party member but if you have double healing and revive you can't really die to him. Interesting to see what new ability the next boss has.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 8, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think FF7R is the first game that I switched from its native language to English. I really wanted to play it in JP but after a while... yeah I'm glad I did not miss the "I know, nailed it, moving on".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
DId the JP dub have dilly dally shilly shally? No? Then it's inferior. What's that, FF7R doesn't have the full line? That's beside the point.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah this line alone is sheer perfection and justifies the dub even if the rest of the dub wasn't fan-loving-tastic.

the other best line is "Up yo rear end"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'M HERE TO TAKE THE LOAD OFF YA SHOULDERS

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The english VA was overall really good and the emotive quality of the character models really did a lot to sell it. I don't really have a problem with the JP VA but the english seems far superior to me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The voice actors in FF14 are all british theater actors, which suits the story. Partially why the game despite a pretty limited presentation has such strong moments - the acting and writing stand out, just like a play would

FF7 actors are all hot people from teen drama soaps. The moments are cool because you do a badass flip and cut something in half and Cloud says a line. It's the blockbuster summer movie of the FF franchise and they loving nail it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

soooo English subs are good then?

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Both dubs are good tbh, but characterization seems different depending on the dub, especially for Barret.

But yeah, that scene with Heidegger at the shinra hall is almost too serious in japanese and hilarious in english, same for that random "Bring it on, bitch!" from Cloud at one point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barret rules

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

titties posted:

Hi i just thought you should let you all know that the Japanese voice track is the one true way

Wrong, friend

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The VIIR localization and dub is the best since XII.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's their best ever and it's not close

no
vvv

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 9, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How shameful you all forget XV's dub and localization. It was absolutely the best Square has ever done.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

How shameful you all forget XV's dub and localization. It was absolutely the best Square has ever done.

There's good performances in it (Darin De Paul kills) but the direction is pretty weird and the story largely isn't coherent enough to make memorable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

There's good performances in it (Darin De Paul kills) but the direction is pretty weird and the story largely isn't coherent enough to make memorable.

ey i'm jewelin' 'eah

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

NikkolasKing posted:

Uhh...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

NikkolasKing posted:

Lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main four and Ardyn were great, but this game knocked it out of the park.

Not that people can't prefer the JP dub, but the idea you'd have the English dub on and think 'eh, this isn't doing it for me' is insane, like how high are your loving standards.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the image doesn't work bit the link says it's supposed to be Dino.

Quite frankly, Square giving minor, worthless side characters wacky accents was great. I remember the pro-sub crazies used to always lose their poo poo when an English dub gave a random character a Southern accent or something. "They gave Random Character #5 an accent and it ruined everything!"

Nope, it made it better. Literally the only thing to remember about Dino was his accent and so they did a good job.

Speaking of accents, I love they gave Cid and Cidney Southern accents, too. That was actually perfectly appropriate as Cidney's theme is intensely Southern Rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9VuvOnJn4

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 9, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not sure you're equipped to answer that question since you haven't even played VIIR, which definitely has the best VA the franchise has ever had.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The main four and Ardyn were great, but this game knocked it out of the park.

Not that people can't prefer the JP dub, but the idea you'd have the English dub on and think 'eh, this isn't doing it for me' is insane, like how high are your loving standards.

For me at least, it's less the dub itself and more the game itself not really being very memorable. Even if the acting was competent, the content itself was nothing to write home about.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they aren’t in similar leagues of competence excepting maybe ardyn and even then the animation/mocap in 7r is a distinct difference

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

XIV is the best localisation I've ever seen in a video game, because the english and japanese versions of the script are written side by side rather than being written in japanese first then english.

7R's comes pretty close though.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I forgot how absurdly stupid Cindy's character model is. Like good loving lord. Even Tifa in her titty dress was less objectified.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Super No Vacancy posted:

they aren’t in similar leagues of competence excepting maybe ardyn and even then the animation/mocap in 7r is a distinct difference

Ardyn always seemed interesting, which makes it all the more the shame that he was stuck in such a garbage game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TK-42-1 posted:

I forgot how absurdly stupid Cindy's character model is. Like good loving lord. Even Tifa in her titty dress was less objectified.

Game was mostly a sausage fest so the horny got concentrated

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any item with a link of 3 slots?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF7 actors are all hot people from teen drama soaps. The moments are cool because you do a badass flip and cut something in half and Cloud says a line. It's the blockbuster summer movie of the FF franchise and they loving nail it

Hard disagree

The VA in 7R is so good because they sound like real people and really sell their lines

"I miss the steel sky..." isn't a blockbuster line, its subdued and heart breaking

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Badger from Breaking Bad is officially a hot teen

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Moola posted:

Hard disagree

The VA in 7R is so good because they sound like real people and really sell their lines

"I miss the steel sky..." isn't a blockbuster line, its subdued and heart breaking

This is what VIIR nails - it’s some of the most natural sounding dialogue I’ve heard in a game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Moola posted:

One of my favorite lines is when Tifa tries to discourage Aerith from getting involved with Corneo, and Cloud just goes "Don't even try to talk her out of it", at this point being so defeated by Aerith's unwillingness to stay out of trouble that he's slightly annoyed that Tifa is even attempting.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the voices in FFVIIR are so good because they're actual actors instead of half-rear end randos pulled from the weird cult that's completely monopolized English dubs of Japanese media in North America

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bleck posted:

the voices in FFVIIR are so good because they're actual actors instead of half-rear end randos pulled from the weird cult that's completely monopolized English dubs of Japanese media in North America

Those people are all good too (and some of them are even in this game!)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Erica Lindbeck, your precious Jessie, was in a Persona!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Ardyn always seemed interesting, which makes it all the more the shame that he was stuck in such a garbage game

It is hard for me to care about Ardyn when Emet-Selch is an *infinitely* better done version of the same concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, FF7R voice actors nailed it. Moving on.

Edit: In retrospective this joke sounded a lot better in my head.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 10, 2020