Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Incessant Excess posted:

I realized today that an Eero Pro setup, which I had my on until today, requires an additional router. Is there a recommended mesh solution where I can get everything from a single manufacturer? I thought maybe Ubiquiti Dream Machine + NanoHD access point but I'm not sure how user friendly that is and obviously, not everyone is a fan.

I've had buckets of fun slowly going full Unifi, starting with just an AP-AC-Lite for strong wireless against a fifth gen Airport Express back in 2015, then eventually in combination with a FIOS router, then two AP-AC-Lites and a FIOS Router, then a UDM-Pro, a USW-8-60W, and then slowly replacing every dumb switch and moca adapter in the house with cat6 drops and USW-Flex-Minis. Once you figure out your VLANs for keeping your IOT garbage away from your guest and secure lans it gets less fun and infuriating from a tinkering perspective, but great from a "set and forget" angle.

Looks like I am now at:
UDM-Pro
USW-8-60W
6x USW-Flex-Minis
2x AP-AC-Lites
1x AP-NanoHD
2x RaspberryPi 4 running docker stacks with Pi-hole and HomeBridge

And a closet of countless gigabit dumb switches and 4 actiontec moca 1.0 adapters which were rock solid but obsolete now that I put in the effort of crawling throughout the guts of my house drilling holes. I hate computer janitoring stuff at home, but I like having a project- so I enjoy the complexity of setting something up, but I hate, hate, HATE dealing with finicky support. This has been solid, even with flakey IOT poo poo that used to be garbage.

And full-speed IPS/IDS has been pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can you explain the use cases for the different APs? I'm planning my UniFi rollout and trying to make the decision on which APs are appropriate for me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Turnquiet posted:

I've had buckets of fun slowly going full Unifi, starting with just an AP-AC-Lite for strong wireless against a fifth gen Airport Express back in 2015, then eventually in combination with a FIOS router, then two AP-AC-Lites and a FIOS Router, then a UDM-Pro, a USW-8-60W, and then slowly replacing every dumb switch and moca adapter in the house with cat6 drops and USW-Flex-Minis. Once you figure out your VLANs for keeping your IOT garbage away from your guest and secure lans it gets less fun and infuriating from a tinkering perspective, but great from a "set and forget" angle.

Looks like I am now at:
UDM-Pro
USW-8-60W
6x USW-Flex-Minis
2x AP-AC-Lites
1x AP-NanoHD
2x RaspberryPi 4 running docker stacks with Pi-hole and HomeBridge

And a closet of countless gigabit dumb switches and 4 actiontec moca 1.0 adapters which were rock solid but obsolete now that I put in the effort of crawling throughout the guts of my house drilling holes. I hate computer janitoring stuff at home, but I like having a project- so I enjoy the complexity of setting something up, but I hate, hate, HATE dealing with finicky support. This has been solid, even with flakey IOT poo poo that used to be garbage.

And full-speed IPS/IDS has been pretty neat.

Thank you for your response, from which I take it that you are satisfied with the performance of your setup. Just to be absolutely sure I'm understanding correctly what hardware I would need, the following setup would work?

Red line means wired connection, blue line a wireless one.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

Thank you for your response, from which I take it that you are satisfied with the performance of your setup. Just to be absolutely sure I'm understanding correctly what hardware I would need, the following setup would work?

While yes you can mesh Unifi access points instead of hardwiring them, I'm pretty sure you can't use them as a through connection (i.e. connect a ethernet client to the ethernet port and use it like that)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Buff Hardback posted:

While yes you can mesh Unifi access points instead of hardwiring them, I'm pretty sure you can't use them as a through connection (i.e. connect a ethernet client to the ethernet port and use it like that)

I use ethernet client refers to my desktop and ethernet port to the one on the nanohd? I thought that's what I needed the poe injector for, which has a port for poe and one for lan like this:

Am I mistaken?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

I use ethernet client refers to my desktop and ethernet port to the one on the nanohd? I thought that's what I needed the poe injector for, which has a port for poe and one for lan like this:

Am I mistaken?

That injector is for creating a PoE connection; if you don’t have a switch that does PoE, you hook up a cable from the switch to “LAN”, and then the PoE output to whatever device needs PoE. The other side has the AC input connector where it gets power from.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

Am I mistaken?

More to the point, how big is your apartment? IIRC the standard UDM is roughly equivalent to a NanoHD in terms of tx/rx performance, and I had a NanoHD in the most unideal spot (corner of the apartment) in a 700sqft apartment and I had wifi coverage halfway down the block.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

movax posted:

That injector is for creating a PoE connection; if you don’t have a switch that does PoE, you hook up a cable from the switch to “LAN”, and then the PoE output to whatever device needs PoE. The other side has the AC input connector where it gets power from.

So this device allows me to wire my desktop to a nanohd? Desktop hooks up to the LAN port and the nanohd hooks up the POE port?

Buff Hardback posted:

More to the point, how big is your apartment? IIRC the standard UDM is roughly equivalent to a NanoHD in terms of tx/rx performance, and I had a NanoHD in the most unideal spot (corner of the apartment) in a 700sqft apartment and I had wifi coverage halfway down the block.

Incessant Excess posted:

EDIT: This is a sketch of the place I'm looking to cover, router is at X and my PC is at Y:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

So this device allows me to wire my desktop to a nanohd? Desktop hooks up to the LAN port and the nanohd hooks up the POE port?
no

Ethernet only goes in to the NanoHD. It never comes out.

As far as sq footage/meterage goes, I'd say start with just the UDM. It's not super ideal for RF propagation to the east (assuming north up) to have the bathroom just to the east of the AP, but tbh you wouldn't necessarily make it better by shoving a NanoHD in mesh mode in the office.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Buff Hardback posted:

Ethernet only goes in to the NanoHD. It never comes out.

Thank you, this made it click for me.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

Thank you, this made it click for me.

For context, i had ~750sqft of space with a NanoHD in a inconvenient position and it was fine, you have ~800sqft of space and plan on putting a NanoHD equivalent in a bit more central spot. My guess is you'll probably be okay with just the UDM to start, and can always set another AP up if needed.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

I realized today that an Eero Pro setup, which I had on my shortlist, requires an additional router.

Looked into this a bit more and I'm not certain this is actually the case. I currently have a cable modem which connects to my router, which in turn connects to my wifi extender which connects my desktop. Would it possible to replace that setup with an eero configurations like this:

The red lines are wired connections, the blue ones wireless.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm considering a Ubiquiti router like the ER-X or USG to replace my cheap old router. Does anyone have experience using either of these with an ISP that needs the router to do "VLAN tagging" on the Internet traffic? My ISP requires this for the new fiber line they ran to my house.

I have two concerns about this. The first concern is that my current router disables a bunch of things (such as all QoS features) when VLAN tagging is enabled, and I don't know enough about networking in general to know whether this is just because my router is a $50 consumer router or if it's some inherent part of VLAN tagging in general. The second thing I'm worried about is that I've read guides to these routers that say their throughput gets slower as you turn on more routing features, and I would be super annoyed if I couldn't hit the 940 Mb/s that I'm paying for because my router slows down when I turn on the feature that it needs to use to even connect to the Internet in the first place.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm considering a Ubiquiti router like the ER-X or USG to replace my cheap old router. Does anyone have experience using either of these with an ISP that needs the router to do "VLAN tagging" on the Internet traffic? My ISP requires this for the new fiber line they ran to my house.

I have two concerns about this. The first concern is that my current router disables a bunch of things (such as all QoS features) when VLAN tagging is enabled, and I don't know enough about networking in general to know whether this is just because my router is a $50 consumer router or if it's some inherent part of VLAN tagging in general. The second thing I'm worried about is that I've read guides to these routers that say their throughput gets slower as you turn on more routing features, and I would be super annoyed if I couldn't hit the 940 Mb/s that I'm paying for because my router slows down when I turn on the feature that it needs to use to even connect to the Internet in the first place.

For the USGs it would slow down if you enable IDS/IPS, otherwise I think routing is still in hardware. You would be pushing the limits of a regular USG 3P or the USG Pro with 940Mb/sec as they both are rated at 930Mb/sec. UDM Pro is 8000 without IDS/IPS and 3500 with it. datasheet here. It's a new product and some people have complained about it. If you are buying into the Unifi stuff and buying Unifi access points and cameras, it might be worth it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Incessant Excess posted:

I realized today that an Eero Pro setup, which I had my on until today, requires an additional router.

No it doesnt. Some of the Eero discussion upthread was re: a workaround for one specific ISP. The gateway Eero gets connected to your modem and acts like a typical router.

Incessant Excess posted:

Looked into this a bit more and I'm not certain this is actually the case. I currently have a cable modem which connects to my router, which in turn connects to my wifi extender which connects my desktop. Would it possible to replace that setup with an eero configurations like this:

The red lines are wired connections, the blue ones wireless.

This is a valid setup.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Installed the new AP and moved the existing one to its new spot. I’m glad that I’m at the point in my marriage where my wife can walk into the mbr closet, see me terminating an RJ-45 poking through the ceiling, and not ask any questions.

Had to get creative with the pantry wiring due to what was in the walls but who cares, it’s not gonna be visible. Pro tip the ubiquiti mounting points assume a flush surface, use a slightly smaller drill bit for your drywall anchors and don’t set them in all the way, they act like standoffs from the ceiling texture.

I need to go find that Ars Technica article from a while ago about tweaking a multi-unfi AP environment, I should have bookmarked it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 7, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

devmd01 posted:

Installed the new AP and moved the existing one to its new spot. I’m glad that I’m at the point in my marriage where my wife can walk into the mbr closet, see me terminating an RJ-45 poking through the ceiling, and not ask any questions.

Had to get creative with the pantry wiring due to what was in the walls but who cares, it’s not gonna be visible. Pro tip the ubiquiti mounting points assume a flush surface, use a slightly smaller drill bit for your drywall anchors and don’t set them in all the way, they act like standoffs from the ceiling texture.

I need to go find that Ars Technica article from a while ago about tweaking a multi-unfi AP environment, I should have bookmarked it.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/enterprise-wi-fi-at-home-part-two-reflecting-on-almost-three-years-with-pro-gear/ this one?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s the one. Thanks!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Boner Wad posted:

For the USGs it would slow down if you enable IDS/IPS, otherwise I think routing is still in hardware. You would be pushing the limits of a regular USG 3P or the USG Pro with 940Mb/sec as they both are rated at 930Mb/sec. UDM Pro is 8000 without IDS/IPS and 3500 with it. datasheet here. It's a new product and some people have complained about it. If you are buying into the Unifi stuff and buying Unifi access points and cameras, it might be worth it.

Thanks for breaking this down. I have one Unifi AP up and running already, so a router in that product line would be neat to get the software integration, but this is not an absolute requirement for me. The annoying thing for me is that I am not completely sold on the dream machines, since it seems like they haven't done the best job on them so far in terms of testing and quality assurance. I'd rather have something that doesn't hit my ISP maximum if it means it's rock solid, versus having to potentially fiddle with flaky software and hardware.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Frontier guy is here. He says I need a new ONT. :ohdear:

He currently has a 30mW optical fault detector on the fiber and I think has left.

Edit: ahahhaah they no longer sell or support cable tv in my area. We're rolling back in all likelihood.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 8, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A few days into NextDNS and I do like it, but I still like PiHole and couldn't make a conclusive argument to switch if you already liked it and were served well.by it.

NextDNS pros:
* Fast. Really bloody fast.
* All of the latest DNS products I can think of
* Clientless support for Android's private DNS service.
* It's a business who wants the service to stay up. More reliable than I'm really going to deliver with PiHole.
* AdBlocking seems effective aside from some white whales (YouTube on Android ad's). Really like the option to exclude affiliate links as I generally don't mind them.
* Company seems trustworthy and logs can be disabled.
* Multiple configurations per account supported (e.g. kids get one, adults get one)

NextDNS cons: Just that it costs money. Not really a fair con but DNS isn't something you'd think about paying for. USD$20/yr

PiHole pros:
* Can do the core AdBlocking well too.
* Self hosted so no ongoing costs - although typically it's run on a $25 RPi with a $5 SD card with a $5 power supply and $10 case.
* Your logs never leave your network (provided you trust PiHole itself)
* Served me well for about 4 years...

PiHole con: ... Until it goes down, rendering you internet connection next to useless, when you're at work and your wife is at home. Dual PiHole instances help to a limited extent here.

Tbh I'll probably pay for NextDNS to take away that last Con.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I run an edgerouter-x at home and my isp uses vlan tagging which is a bit of a pain as you can't set it up from the GUI (I like being lazy). The following link has instructions on setting the vlan tag. The vif part needs to be set to the ISP's vlan number.

code:
configure
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 10 address 10.0.10.1/24 
commit ; save ; exit
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204962254-EdgeRouter-Create-virtual-interfaces-with-VLAN-IDs

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Heners_UK posted:

A few days into NextDNS and I do like it, but I still like PiHole and couldn't make a conclusive argument to switch if you already liked it and were served well.by it.

NextDNS pros:
* Fast. Really bloody fast.
* All of the latest DNS products I can think of
* Clientless support for Android's private DNS service.
* It's a business who wants the service to stay up. More reliable than I'm really going to deliver with PiHole.
* AdBlocking seems effective aside from some white whales (YouTube on Android ad's). Really like the option to exclude affiliate links as I generally don't mind them.
* Company seems trustworthy and logs can be disabled.
* Multiple configurations per account supported (e.g. kids get one, adults get one)

NextDNS cons: Just that it costs money. Not really a fair con but DNS isn't something you'd think about paying for. USD$20/yr

PiHole pros:
* Can do the core AdBlocking well too.
* Self hosted so no ongoing costs - although typically it's run on a $25 RPi with a $5 SD card with a $5 power supply and $10 case.
* Your logs never leave your network (provided you trust PiHole itself)
* Served me well for about 4 years...

PiHole con: ... Until it goes down, rendering you internet connection next to useless, when you're at work and your wife is at home. Dual PiHole instances help to a limited extent here.

Tbh I'll probably pay for NextDNS to take away that last Con.

On your router put a non-pihole DNS as the secondary, gets around that issue. 1.1.1.1

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well the OSes and router could use either the primary or secondary DNS at any time. That means that, if they happen to do a query to the unfiltered secondary DNS that's for an ad, it would be returned correctly.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 9, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh Frontier. You truly are horsefuckers.

Rolled back, installer put me on the phone with his field support person who said I could get 500/500 for "only $15/month more" - no one could quote me more than what. I said "no" and they told me to call in to sales. Now I'm calling in to sales and they are saying my upgrade was completed successfully but at "$15/month more for gig service" - again, no bottom line price. Pressing them for it they're basically mad at me for saying the install wasn't done, I didn't authorize the upgrade, and that even if I did the price I was quoted in the order was $145.98 _bottom line_ and they want to make it $140 top line, plus $26 in bullshit.

Meanwhile my older 500/500 compatible ONT is sittin at around 80mbps which doesn't match anything.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Incessant Excess posted:

Late to the party but Yes, this DOES work. You can use the ethernet port on the nanoHD to connect a wired device while using the nanoHD in a wireless uplink configuration.
It's recommended you use a switch between your PC and the AP though since every time you restart your PC, the AP will disconnect from the wireless uplink as it prioritizes the wired connection, killing your internet connection to any wireless device connected to that AP.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Quick switch question.

Is there anything on the market with these features?

Managed switch
Fanless
1 sfp+ or 10gbe port in addition to the 8 (if possible)
At least 1 Poe port

I'm redoing my UnRAID server and I'm planning on using it for VMs too and I'd like to have more than 1gb. I guess I can do a LAG group for 2GB.

But I do a lot of Ansible testing and frequently need to spin up a decently sized machine for testing.

I guess my other option is to dedicate the second NIC to VMs and leave the other for my media dockers and file sharing.

But having a 10GB link to my UnRAID would be nice as heck.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Oh Frontier. You truly are horsefuckers.

Welcome to the new Frontier.

The mascot they selected was very apt.. a buffalo named Frank. A slow, lumbering, beast. Perfect analogy.

This sounds like much what my parents went through. They are in a Frontier Vantage area. Which is fiber to the node tech. Using VDSL as the last mile. Frontier insisted this was not true and the best they could get was 6mbps. So they sent a basic ADSL only modem. It worked, barely. After literally months fighting with them a tech who knew what they were doing finally showed up during one of the many modem replacements. He said they had the line setup wrong, and had the wrong modem. They refused to provision the account correctly. He ended up having to call around to a few local contacts at Frontier to get it resolved.

He was at their house for 3 hours trying to get Frontier agents to fix it. In the end he was successful.. 100Mbit VDSL. It works and is suprisingly stable.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Have any of you had to resort to cellular modems for home internet? A buddy of mine moved out to the sticks with a false promise of fiber, but they are a year behind schedule. The nearest cell tower is almost 3 miles away it seems. (Gonna have to war drive with cell mapper to be sure). He also doesn't have line of sight. They get enough signal to call but have sub megabit speeds. Will putting a directional modem on a pole be very helpful if we can't clear the ridge line? I'm crossing my fingers that he can get high enough up to do so.

A friend with some experience in this kind of thing recommended me this product: https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-Rem...ctronics&sr=1-1

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick switch question.

Managed switch
Fanless
At least 1 Poe port

I'm redoing my UnRAID server and I'm planning on using it for VMs too and I'd like to have more than 1gb. I guess I can do a LAG group for 2GB.

But I do a lot of Ansible testing and frequently need to spin up a decently sized machine for testing.

I guess my other option is to dedicate the second NIC to VMs and leave the other for my media dockers and file sharing.

I’m not aware of anything that ticks every single one of those boxes. Netgear has a model with a “whisper quiet” fan that ticks all the boxes. It’s also 350 bucks.

https://m.cdw.com/product/netgear-8-port-gbit-smart-managed-pro-switch-10g-uplinks-poe-ms510txpp/4827702

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick switch question.

Managed switch
Fanless
At least 1 Poe port

Do you have to have that 10gig link switched? you could also just do a direct connect depending on how far your computer is from your Unraid

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Buff Hardback posted:

Do you have to have that 10gig link switched? you could also just do a direct connect depending on how far your computer is from your Unraid

Sadly I can't direct connect. Honestly I'm just pipedreaming here so thanks everyone for the answers.

I'll just team the nics up and see how it goes.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick switch question.

Managed switch
Fanless
At least 1 Poe port

Certain 2960-Ls and 3560-CXs check this box and can be had for <$200. You just need to watch Ebay for deals.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Consumer question: Does this thread Have Views on integrated Motherboard wifi vs using a discrete PCI card?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No opinion, so long as you get an antenna with leads so you can move the antenna away from the case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Consumer question: Does this thread Have Views on integrated Motherboard wifi vs using a discrete PCI card?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick switch question.

Managed switch
Fanless
At least 1 Poe port

A Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM with a separate PoE injector would tick all the boxes except that it would be two boxes instead of one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick switch question.

Managed switch
Fanless
At least 1 Poe port

MikroTik NetPower 16P, it's just a weird form factor. A more conventional box would be the Extreme 220-12p-10GE2 but considering the market they were pitching their switches at when they launched the pricing is way off.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 10, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Borrowed some hardware from work...too far?

Still need to get it configured so it’s the long Ethernet cables for now. Once it’s in service I’ll get it tidied up. This will let me ditch a couple of POE injectors and add more POE powered equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I especially like the 4 available connections to the laundry room.