Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

univbee posted:

The VMUs you got for storage were $20 and not $220, though.

It’s a real shame that the SSD doesn’t pop out and become a large VMU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Inflation is a sumbitch, the dreamcast launched at a price of about $310 USD in 2020 dollars

Everyone was much better off then tho

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just from reading the last page or two, the Xbox doesn't/didn't support just plugging in a non-proprietary, Seagate-Xbox-branded external via USB? That's honestly one of, like, the best things about the PS4. I can just plug in an 8TB external and call it a day.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just from reading the last page or two, the Xbox doesn't/didn't support just plugging in a non-proprietary, Seagate-Xbox-branded external via USB? That's honestly one of, like, the best things about the PS4. I can just plug in an 8TB external and call it a day.

Got some less-bad but still rough parallel news about the PS5. You sitting down?

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 10, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Xbox one has its hdd inside the warranty seal so you have to use usb

Xsx/s also have their drives out of reach and use proprietary cards for expansion of new games and usb for old games

Ps5 has an empty bay for a new 2nd drive. Whitelist of compatible drives will be published at launch

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 10, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I really wanted that cube.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Everyone was much better off then tho

No disagreements there, the inflation since the 90s but complete wage stagnation is loving depressing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft thinks my favorite game is USB TV Tuner
where do i look this up? i don't see anything like that under my profile.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Laserface posted:

https://press-start.com.au/news/xbox/2020/09/10/eb-games-trade-deals-for-the-xbox-series-x-s-are-quite-good/

In Australia I can trade in my one X (which I traded my Xbone OG in against, paying only $300) against a series X and pay $399 instead of $749.

guess I will be upgrading on day one then.

Must be nice to actually have open retail in your part of Australia. :(

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Laserface posted:

https://press-start.com.au/news/xbox/2020/09/10/eb-games-trade-deals-for-the-xbox-series-x-s-are-quite-good/

In Australia I can trade in my one X (which I traded my Xbone OG in against, paying only $300) against a series X and pay $399 instead of $749.

guess I will be upgrading on day one then.

I'm not sure you can even find a new Xbox One X in Australia, EB Games doesn't even seem to list them any more.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
is this the american vs european banking thread??

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Celexi posted:

is this the american vs european banking thread??

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Xbox does actually have the same external support the PS4 has (and also supports copying games and not just moving them, and having 2 externals plugged in). My point was you're paying around a 50% premium for the exact same hardware just for the green and the logo. The cheaper black drive will work on an Xbox 360 or One, exactly the same as the green one with logo will (same performance and everything).

The SSDs for the new consoles are a different story.

Now traditional external hard drives will still work, but will in all likelihood only be usable for previous gen games (so PS4 games on PS5, and 360/XB1 games on the Serieses), and may possibly be usable for "cold storage" of new generation games (i.e. you can back them up there but they have to be copied back to the internal drive to be playable), because the speed expectations are pretty nuts.

Series S has 512 gigs of internal storage.
Series X has 1 terabyte of internal storage.
PS5 has 825 gigs of internal storage.

Based on the numbers we have, the Serieses internal storage supports a transfer rate of 2.4 GB/s. The PS5's supports a transfer rate of 4.5 GB/s.

On all but the fastest setups, PCs generally can hit a little over 3 GB/s with the right M.2 SSD, but faster interfaces hitting closer to 5 are beginning to show up.

On the Xbox side (at least on the X, we don't actually know if the S will have the port for this, but it'd be extremely weird if it didn't), there is literally only one type of drive being sold. It's by Seagate, it's 1 terabyte, and it's $220 USD. So if it's even supported on the S, the only way to reasonably expand its storage for new-gen games involves buying this drive and overall paying more than a Series X would have cost you (with double the space). This will be storage in addition to the internal storage, so on a Series X you'd go from 1tb to 2tb, and can own multiples and plug them into any Series (e.g. at a friend's house if you have a Roni death wish).

According to Sony, the PS5 will support off-the-shelf PC SSDs (presumably there'll be somewhere to install an M.2 drive), but they have to hit the speeds PS5 games require and there apparently isn't anything on the market that does yet. Likewise, this will complement the existing internal storage, so if you get a 2tb SSD you'll have 2825 gigs of space.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Must be nice to actually have open retail in your part of Australia. :(

uh, its an online-only thing with the trade-in function obviously requiring open retail, which by the time this thing launches, you probably can go into a store in Vic?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm not sure you can even find a new Xbox One X in Australia, EB Games doesn't even seem to list them any more.

why would anyone be buying a new One X now?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They can't even if they wanted to. Microsoft discontinued it like 6 months ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah one of the smarter things microsoft did with their dumb naming scheme is just remove the previous products.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When does the EA play thing officially start?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Holiday" so, uh, probably November 10

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

"Holiday" so, uh, probably November 10

Ah ok I was hoping it would go live before then.

Pretty good since I was gonna pay for it through steam now I don’t have to!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Game Pass PC twitter's confirmed in the replies to their tweet that it'll be $9.99 like the console version and that the price of Ultimate will be unaffected.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok I was hoping it would go live before then.

Pretty good since I was gonna pay for it through steam now I don’t have to!

Be warned, this isn't the luxury tier so you don't get say Jedi Fallen Order

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Be warned, this isn't the luxury tier so you don't get say Jedi Fallen Order

no great loss imo

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Laserface posted:

why would anyone be buying a new One X now?
Bought one refurbished as there’s no way I’m getting a series x for years, and my OG Bone was poo poo.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no great loss imo

:agreed: that game fuckin sucked

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Xbox One X would be pretty decent if it came with a cpu upgrade.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Trying to weigh up getting a series S, can anyone try and explain what type of game Everwild will be? Loved Sea of Thieves and the old Rare games but the trailers I’ve seen make it look like an indie emotional walking game.

Also can anyone give me a heads up of what 3rd person action games are being developed by the Xbox first party studios?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ColdIronsBound posted:

Also can anyone give me a heads up of what 3rd person action games are being developed by the Xbox first party studios?

I hope you like Gears of War!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ColdIronsBound posted:

Trying to weigh up getting a series S, can anyone try and explain what type of game Everwild will be? Loved Sea of Thieves and the old Rare games but the trailers I’ve seen make it look like an indie emotional walking game.

They don’t even know what kinda game it’s gonna be.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Everwilds gameplay has not been decided yet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ColdIronsBound posted:

none

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

The Xbox does actually have the same external support the PS4 has (and also supports copying games and not just moving them, and having 2 externals plugged in). My point was you're paying around a 50% premium for the exact same hardware just for the green and the logo. The cheaper black drive will work on an Xbox 360 or One, exactly the same as the green one with logo will (same performance and everything).

The SSDs for the new consoles are a different story.

Now traditional external hard drives will still work, but will in all likelihood only be usable for previous gen games (so PS4 games on PS5, and 360/XB1 games on the Serieses), and may possibly be usable for "cold storage" of new generation games (i.e. you can back them up there but they have to be copied back to the internal drive to be playable), because the speed expectations are pretty nuts.

Series S has 512 gigs of internal storage.
Series X has 1 terabyte of internal storage.
PS5 has 825 gigs of internal storage.

Based on the numbers we have, the Serieses internal storage supports a transfer rate of 2.4 GB/s. The PS5's supports a transfer rate of 4.5 GB/s.

On all but the fastest setups, PCs generally can hit a little over 3 GB/s with the right M.2 SSD, but faster interfaces hitting closer to 5 are beginning to show up.

On the Xbox side (at least on the X, we don't actually know if the S will have the port for this, but it'd be extremely weird if it didn't), there is literally only one type of drive being sold. It's by Seagate, it's 1 terabyte, and it's $220 USD. So if it's even supported on the S, the only way to reasonably expand its storage for new-gen games involves buying this drive and overall paying more than a Series X would have cost you (with double the space). This will be storage in addition to the internal storage, so on a Series X you'd go from 1tb to 2tb, and can own multiples and plug them into any Series (e.g. at a friend's house if you have a Roni death wish).

According to Sony, the PS5 will support off-the-shelf PC SSDs (presumably there'll be somewhere to install an M.2 drive), but they have to hit the speeds PS5 games require and there apparently isn't anything on the market that does yet. Likewise, this will complement the existing internal storage, so if you get a 2tb SSD you'll have 2825 gigs of space.

FYI the MS blog post about the Series S explicitly says it supports the Storage Expansion Card.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Laserface posted:

uh, its an online-only thing with the trade-in function obviously requiring open retail, which by the time this thing launches, you probably can go into a store in Vic?

We need to have less than 5 daily cases average over two weeks for retail to open in late October at earliest. Not holding my breath.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I debated wandering into a Bic Camera and buying one of these since there won't be any competition for it in Japan but I'd rather not have to wander into the Janitors storage closet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1304042097159344129?s=20

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Gottem by the balls this time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ms should gets its bc team to reverse engineer ps3 emulation on xbox/pc totally clean room just to make sony pissed as hell

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ms should gets its bc team to reverse engineer ps3 emulation on xbox/pc totally clean room just to make sony pissed as hell

would probably be easier to just write Konami a check for MGS 4

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Idk. This seems like you'd somehow get hit with like a money laundering investigation or something. I guess it's all legally earned and taxed. Just feels weird.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The Yakuza games are basically the final battle from Shenmue 1 where you have to kick 70 gangsters in the nuts, but the entire game? Is Yakuza 0 a decent starting point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Twerk from Home posted:

The Yakuza games are basically the final battle from Shenmue 1 where you have to kick 70 gangsters in the nuts, but the entire game? Is Yakuza 0 a decent starting point?

Yes, absolutely.