Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This tweet is good:

https://twitter.com/punished_picnic/status/1303507847553134593

But it has some... replies

https://twitter.com/punished_picnic/status/1303846833802928130

Plus countless more that Picnic reposted on his timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mak0rz posted:

This tweet is good:

https://twitter.com/punished_picnic/status/1303507847553134593

But it has some... replies

Plus countless more that Picnic reposted on his timeline

He's got no rebuttal to this.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

cult_hero posted:

(I've been probated for saying as much before, but here goes...) One of the most annoying things in gaming is companies censoring themselves to appeal to Chinese markets. Like in WOW they had to censor out all depictions of bones for Wrath of the Lich King for the Chinese markets. I'm sure for a lot of these companies they don't care how ridiculous it looks so long as they can still sell games in the glorious people's republic.

china doesn't care about skeletons, it's just a lot of non-chinese publishers self-censor because the chinese government can deny any game being released under the vague term of being 'culturally subversive' which explains nothing. a lot of companies willingly go overboard with self-censoring because they don't want to play the back and forth game where they change one thing and then get rejected, changing another and trying again, and so forth.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
Years ago I played Puzzle Pirates (which inexplicably is still available on Steam and has exactly the same graphics as it did in 2004) and you could choose no filter, or a pirate swear filter. Any racial slurs or really lovely stuff wouldn't be posted in chat, but would funnel directly to human mods, but typing something like "omg" filtered to "billions of blue blistering barnacles" and dumb poo poo like that. It was ridiculous but I don't know a single person who didn't play with the filter on for extra flavor. I appreciate that they embraced the stupidity of a word filter and at least made it fun.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is my favorite update on the bacon cop story.

https://twitter.com/banditelli/status/1303838455621795840

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Imagine being this thin skinned while also having the state-sanctioned ability to murder whoever you want.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gross Dude posted:

In Phantasy Star Online there were weapons with the word Hell in them, but if you tried to say the weapons name in chat it would get censored. Also Saturday would be censored and so would crackers. Heres an article :

https://archive.rpgamer.com/editor/2001/q2/060301cu.html

Not in the article, but from my memory, socks also was filtered, maybe it was too close to sucks.

i remember shoes (hoes), pork, and cola being censored in various versions of PSO

Also Frozen Shooter was a good in game item but it has "hooter" in it so you can't say it. I think there was a mag called Marica which you couldn't say, supposedly Spanish slang?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Man, that bar has a bangin' menu, I'd love some bacon wrapped mozz sticks and a side of bacon covered brussel sprouts with my beers, gently caress yeah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Light Gun Man posted:

i remember shoes (hoes), pork, and cola being censored in various versions of PSO

Also Frozen Shooter was a good in game item but it has "hooter" in it so you can't say it. I think there was a mag called Marica which you couldn't say, supposedly Spanish slang?

"Cola" ?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Phantasy Star Online 2's word filter file was populated with a lot of English words even back in 2011's beta, nine years before it came to the US. Most of it was re-using the stuff from Universe, but at some point they added some fun stuff like "assgoblin", "crustynob", "cumguzzler", "dingus" and "fudgepacker".

https://sites.google.com/site/metareeminder/pso2_swearfilter.txt

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Light Gun Man posted:

I think there was a mag called Marica which you couldn't say, supposedly Spanish slang?

yeah, marica, adj. gay, or n. a gay guy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

"Cola" ?

Don't really understand it either, but I remember it being banned early on, to the annoyance of my girlfriend. The later private servers let her use it so she made it her main character's name.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You know, the first guy might be on to something here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cult_hero posted:

(I've been probated for saying as much before, but here goes...) One of the most annoying things in gaming is companies censoring themselves to appeal to Chinese markets. Like in WOW they had to censor out all depictions of bones for Wrath of the Lich King for the Chinese markets. I'm sure for a lot of these companies they don't care how ridiculous it looks so long as they can still sell games in the glorious people's republic.

Wasn't there a game where you could get Chinese players banned by saying Tiananmen square?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
One of the worst instances of machine censorship I've ever seen was a multiplayer shooter (I want to say one of the recent Battlefields) not just using automated censorship, but using machine learning to determine what words are typically used in insulting/derogatory contexts and making the blacklist out of that.

Outright racial slurs were not censored, but 'uhh' was.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

Light Gun Man posted:

"Marica" is mildly offensive slang for "gay man" in Spain, yeah. It comes from some old derivative of the very common latin female name Maria, and while not seen as such in Spain proper, occasionally will pop up as a proper person name in other languages or regions.

Edit. Also, if they were censoring Spanish swearwords, it may be that cola, apart from a soda, means "tail" in common Spanish and may be used as a substitute for "dick".

Shellception has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Sep 10, 2020

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Not an idiot, but very thread relevant.

https://twitter.com/meaty_eyed_one/status/1304021578926174209?s=19

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Otana posted:

Years ago I played Puzzle Pirates (which inexplicably is still available on Steam and has exactly the same graphics as it did in 2004) and you could choose no filter, or a pirate swear filter. Any racial slurs or really lovely stuff wouldn't be posted in chat, but would funnel directly to human mods, but typing something like "omg" filtered to "billions of blue blistering barnacles" and dumb poo poo like that. It was ridiculous but I don't know a single person who didn't play with the filter on for extra flavor. I appreciate that they embraced the stupidity of a word filter and at least made it fun.

I feel like puzzle pirates really missed the boat (lol) when puzzle phone games came out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/PUPPYBOYKARKAT/status/1303727337859698690

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

kirbysuperstar posted:

Phantasy Star Online 2's word filter file was populated with a lot of English words even back in 2011's beta, nine years before it came to the US. Most of it was re-using the stuff from Universe, but at some point they added some fun stuff like "assgoblin", "crustynob", "cumguzzler", "dingus" and "fudgepacker".

https://sites.google.com/site/metareeminder/pso2_swearfilter.txt

yesss, I LOVE swear filter wordlists. Here's the one from Mortal Kombat 9 which spawned a few articles and a lot of :psyduck: responses. It includes commonly used and utterly despicable terms such as "hairy hatchet wound", "uplay wid dix" and "lettuce picker" :confused:

pinis wrinkle

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dreamin of semen posted:

"lettuce picker" :confused:

I almost feel like this is a real weird dig at Mexicans but I only say that because I have a Mexican friend whose family made it big farming lettuce. Either that or the strangest euphemism I've ever seen I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"axe wound" is extremely stupid british slang for vagina.

In the sense that I have never heard anybody use it but I and I think most other people would know that is what it means.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

kirbysuperstar posted:

I almost feel like this is a real weird dig at Mexicans but I only say that because I have a Mexican friend whose family made it big farming lettuce. Either that or the strangest euphemism I've ever seen I guess.

Oh that clears everything up thanks urbandictionary, MK9's devs were just looking out for Greg

also yeah, but "hairy hatchet wound" I feel is not a particularly common alteration of "axe wound" and may be a biiiit specific for a fighting game word filter that also doesn't contain "hatchet wound" or "axe wound" on their own

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Jiru posted:

"Marica" is mildly offensive slang for "gay man" in Spain, yeah. It comes from some old derivative of the very common latin female name Maria, and while not seen as such in Spain proper, occasionally will pop up as a proper person name in other languages or regions.

Edit. Also, if they were censoring Spanish swearwords, it may be that cola, apart from a soda, means "tail" in common Spanish and may be used as a substitute for "dick".

Coke Dick.

Checks out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

OwlFancier posted:

"axe wound" is extremely stupid british slang for vagina.

In the sense that I have never heard anybody use it but I and I think most other people would know that is what it means.

it's horrible

"gash" is less bad, more inherently comedic, something about the phonemes maybe? this bears studying

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dark Souls 2 word filter for some reason had Cleveland.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Dark Souls 2 word filter for some reason had Cleveland.

They didn't want anyone spoiling the DLC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dreamin of semen posted:

Oh that clears everything up thanks urbandictionary, MK9's devs were just looking out for Greg

also yeah, but "hairy hatchet wound" I feel is not a particularly common alteration of "axe wound" and may be a biiiit specific for a fighting game word filter that also doesn't contain "hatchet wound" or "axe wound" on their own

Usually I hate people who put stuff on UD that's an injoke between them and their friends at best, or a yawnful brag that all Joeys are the best gamers and the most handsome and everyone loves Joeys.

But I can't hate this. Keep picking those lettuces, Greg.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1304077167345557505?s=20

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1304077560217649152?s=20

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Quote is not edit!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Can we get a summary? That link won’t let me view the video, and is insisting that I “open TokTok,” so it can go gently caress itself.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's Dr. Phil asking people to please stop calling him "daddy" but he's also refusing to look at the camera so it's extra unsettling.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Already gone. Anyone know what this was?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Someone posted the menu of a bar next door that served bacon dishes to suggest that the "I smell bacon" comment was actually literal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How can a fake doctor be so bad at psychology?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

The hardware store is next to a bar that serves a variety of foods involving bacon.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Soysaucebeast posted:

My guess is it's the revelation that the bar/restaurant next door to the Ace Hardware has many appetizers that come covered/wrapped in bacon, so it's fully plausible that someone standing in the hardware store actually could smell literal bacon and wasn't even talking about the cop. (I saw that posted in another thread somewhere.)

Edit: gently caress; I checked several times and it wasn't posted yet, and then a whole bunch of people still get it in while I'm posting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/johnmilbank3/status/1303959630780018688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hail comfortable summer clothing.