Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I put some time into Necromunda, it's way higher budget and nicer looking than I was expecting

... it's also extremely Necromunda and I'm not sure it's going to be appealing to many people outside a very narrow niche.

XCOM lovers might like it. People without an interest in the setting, base game, or genre at all, definitely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Star Renegades is fun. It's Into The Breach with JRPG combat. There's a big puzzle element to the combat with turn management, stunning and delaying the enemy. It also has the Shadow of Mordor nemesis system. It's hard to tell how much variety there is from just a couple of hours played, but so far so good.

Necromunda plays like Valkyria Chronicles, but slower. The soundtrack and gang design and the fancy cutscenes are all fantastic, but it's sooo loving slow. I don't see myself sticking with it unless the PvP is popular.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

victrix posted:

I put some time into Necromunda, it's way higher budget and nicer looking than I was expecting

... it's also extremely Necromunda and I'm not sure it's going to be appealing to many people outside a very narrow niche.

XCOM lovers might like it. People without an interest in the setting, base game, or genre at all, definitely not.

I love GW properties and just want to know if it's fun to play. Mordheim was good for about 20 hours but then the jank and the grind set in and I lost interest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Donnerberg posted:

Star Renegades is fun. It's Into The Breach with JRPG combat. There's a big puzzle element to the combat with turn management, stunning and delaying the enemy. It also has the Shadow of Mordor nemesis system. It's hard to tell how much variety there is from just a couple of hours played, but so far so good.

Necromunda plays like Valkyria Chronicles, but slower. The soundtrack and gang design and the fancy cutscenes are all fantastic, but it's sooo loving slow. I don't see myself sticking with it unless the PvP is popular.

me: I'm not going to buy a game today ---

"Star Renegades is fun. It's Into The Breach with JRPG combat. There's a big puzzle element to the combat with turn management, stunning and delaying the enemy" nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

I love GW properties and just want to know if it's fun to play. Mordheim was good for about 20 hours but then the jank and the grind set in and I lost interest.

So far yes, only major issue I've run into is that it's loving *slow*. The individual turns are fine, it's just the overall size and length of the fights that draws it out.

I've also read some reports of some pretty bad bugs, but I haven't experienced any yet (I'm sure I will).

On a not actual gameplay note, I dislike how half armored gang dinguses can take hits from loving lascannons and krak grenades. These gangers are harder than the Terminators in Deathwing :v:

(plays fine, just feels ridiculous)

I'm also *deeply* skeptical the AI can play this game once I get into full custom gang campaign territory. There's an absolute ton of options every turn, no way the AI makes good choices a majority of the time. Have to wait and see there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Donnerberg posted:

My one and only complaint so far is that the pixel graphics make my eyes hurt. It's like they have 3D models they converted to 2D and pixelated just way too much. The animations are nice, but who knows what the hell is going on with anything but the titanic-sized characters. I'm gonna play this windowed because it's too fun not to, but on a 2K monitor it's a mess.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

LifeLynx posted:

My one and only complaint so far is that the pixel graphics make my eyes hurt. It's like they have 3D models they converted to 2D and pixelated just way too much. The animations are nice, but who knows what the hell is going on with anything but the titanic-sized characters. I'm gonna play this windowed because it's too fun not to, but on a 2K monitor it's a mess.

Yeah, that's fair. Their brand of pixelart is an actual artstyle, like Gods Will Be Watching and Superbrothers. I just wanted to point that out. It's definitely running in a 3D scene like you said though, with a bunch of anachronistic special effects.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I don't mind the pixel art, but the janky camera and flashing lights when you fast forward combat animations is making me nauseous.

Game is good otherwise, straight up won the first time and now I keep dying over and over and losing runs :xcom:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

victrix posted:

I'm also *deeply* skeptical the AI can play this game once I get into full custom gang campaign territory. There's an absolute ton of options every turn, no way the AI makes good choices a majority of the time. Have to wait and see there.

I've also been playing the game and watching some streams and this seems by far to be the biggest problem. The AI swings between pixel perfect action economy, absolutely abysmal decision making and just flat out getting stuck on objects and losing their turns.

I still really want to play it because its great other than that but may have to wait until some patches roll out.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

I would wait. I stopped playing at 1 hour 45 minutes in because I'm unsure if I want to return it or not.

Note- I'm playing the custom gang thing, not the story campaign.

There is definitely something cool here, but it's not there yet. It feels like they built a whole game without playtesting it at all. The AI is dumb and is a complete pushover. It does that thing where it favors abilities, consumables, and buffs over actually shooting and attacking, and the ones it uses usually never make sense for the situation. It will run right past your guys, use a consumable to give itself +10% crit damage (all of the consumables suck), and then pop overwatch facing the wrong direction. I only played 2 battles, but I was able to effortlessly wipe out the enemy teams (both my games were 3 gang fights) without taking any casualties. The weapons make no sense... lasguns and autoguns do a ton more damage than plasma guns. Heavy stubbers do more damage than heavy plasma guns, which are for some reason available immediately. My heavy started with a lascannon, which is also worse than the stubber. I haven't seen any power weapons or bolters yet, so I'm guessing that's the progression.

Oh and it's Windows 10 only, it won't run on Windows 7 at all. I know that's kind of a dumb gripe, but they have windows 7 blocked at the executable level instead of just saying they won't support it, which judging by the support forums is causing them fair number of bad reviews and returns.

The fact they didn't release it as Early Access makes me worry they aren't going to fix the game at all and it'll just be this broken mess that they'll just push out new gang DLC for as a cash cow.

Arven fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 9, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
games workshop tt games are known for being horribly imbalanced and that imbalance is preserved in video game form

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Imbalanced can be fun, "AI can't even play the game" will torpedo any enjoyment if you're using all these complicated systems to shoot target dummies

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1372320/Cloud_Gardens/

quote:

In Cloud Gardens players must harness the power of nature to overgrow lo-fi scenes of urban decay and manufactured landscapes. By planting seeds in the right places, they’re able to create small overgrown dioramas of brutalism and beauty, salvaging and repurposing hundreds of discarded objects to create unique structures for nature to reclaim.

Players can dive into a relaxing sandbox mode with no goals, where they are simply left to delight in their own creativity and create beautiful scenes, or take on a “campaign” of six chapters, where the task is to strike a balance between nature and the manufactured by covering each scene with salvaged objects and lush vegetation.

This is a chill game where the player is allowed to delight in their own creativity. The player's task is to completely cover the scene in plants. As you overgrow the objects, a meter fills to show your progress. You are given objects to expand the scene. These objects contribute energy to the growing of plants, but you will also have to cover them in foliage to complete the stage, striking a balance between nature and the manufactured.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've heard of that one before, I was looking forward to it. Cloud Garden is currently four dollars, which is a really good deal for a virtual Garden In A Bottle experience. Grabbing that as soon as I post this.

[edit]: worth every cent

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 9, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

[edit]: worth every cent

yes. very chill game

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thanks for the rec!

This isn't out yet, but I'm intrigued. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271400/Adios/

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thanks for the rec!

This isn't out yet, but I'm intrigued. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271400/Adios/

One of the people who did Paratopic directed and wrote that and I really like his game design thoughts on Twitter (@docsquiddy). I am extremely hype for it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I really tried to like Mordheim, played a lot and that style of progression is right up my ally. But the slow progression and slow play is a combination of terrible. If the game could be modded and if you could shut off a lot of the superfluous animations it would be bearable but you can't. The games entire design is terrifically flawed.

Necromunda is just a bad re-skin so they can cash in on DLC gang add ons.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Neo Scavenger dev has dropped

Ostronauts

quote:

A noir spaceship-life sim, set in a solar system cut-off from a ravaged Earth. Design your one-of-a-kind spaceship. Hire crew with physical and emotional needs. Enjoy detailed ship control panels and interiors. Then manage your dysfunctional crew and ship as you fend off bankruptcy...or worse.

It's in EA and it looks REALLY good aaaaa

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Time to spend a milion hours staring at impenetrable panels, flipping switches and watching my ship explode. I live for this poo poo.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Is that some kind of dunk on Star Citizen?

Ninja edit: probably not, my mind was just in a weird place

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ostronauts

Oh hello I am the publisher of this game and came here to post this.

Check it out, it's a really, really ambitious game. We've got 75% of the game systems in but only about 10% of the content. We've got a really big roadmap of stuff coming in Early Access and we think this thing is a proper forever game.

Here's the trailer we got Naomi Nagata from The Expanse to do the VO for!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkhM1v6AFw

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Check it out, it's a really, really ambitious game. We've got 75% of the game systems in but only about 10% of the content. We've got a really big roadmap of stuff coming in Early Access and we think this thing is a proper forever game.

Listen up fucker, I'm up to my tits in games and you made me buy another one. Hope you're happy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow. I was watching the livestream and I was meh (sorry, dev), but that trailer has me mooked.

(meant to say "hooked", but I'm leaving it.)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ostronauts

Hope it turns out good. I'll be putting it back to my wishlist until it is a little more fleshed out. Really promising.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

grate deceiver posted:

Listen up fucker, I'm up to my tits in games and you made me buy another one. Hope you're happy.

I am yes

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:aaa:

Edit: Also yeah, sounds pretty ambitious. I will keep an eye out.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 10, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
neo scanvenger was really good

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, I am hooked on Cloud Gardens. My only problem is that the game's goals don't always match my minimalist aesthetic. I don't want another plant, game! It looks perfect now! I cherish every inch of that exposed concrete! And then I go around picking the perfect number of blooms so that the remainder are appropriately spaced.

And the heartbreak when you nestle in just the right piece of junk to fertilize and it falls over and obliterates a carefully-trained plant.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Love the trailer!
Wishlisting and following; been burned one too many times on EA but this looks very interesting if/when it gets fleshed out more!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Dev's got a good track record though, so I'm in for it.

Assembly, you rear end.

I've still got a big chunk of Long Dark to finish and now this. (1st world problems)

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Yessss I've been following the ostranauts dev log for a year now. Steam isn't very good at letting you know games you've followed have dropped!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat, I am hooked on Cloud Gardens. My only problem is that the game's goals don't always match my minimalist aesthetic. I don't want another plant, game! It looks perfect now! I cherish every inch of that exposed concrete! And then I go around picking the perfect number of blooms so that the remainder are appropriately spaced.

And the heartbreak when you nestle in just the right piece of junk to fertilize and it falls over and obliterates a carefully-trained plant.

I know people say this a lot, but Cloud Gardens is exactly the game i didn't know I needed right now. What a lovely chill experience. It's actually gotten me to care about aesthetics more than progress, that almost never happens.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cloud Gardens sounds like growing digital bonsai trees.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That is basically what it is, except it doesn't take a decade to get something that looks good.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

interesting releases today

A Monsters Expedition
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256799740/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1599161148

As Far As The Eye
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256796241/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1599148008

The Unfinished Swan
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256797664/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1599753080

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I picked up PARADISE KILLER because of this thread and I can't say for certain, but I feel it might become one of those hidden gem cult classic games that are a little jank and pretty weird, but overall very memorable. I was put off by the artstyle at first but it's really grown on me and makes for a really dreamy experience. I've barely done any investigation, I'm just cruising around Paradise looking at statues of old dead gods and collecting hidden collectables.

What little investigation I've done hints at a pretty interesting detective mechanic where it looks like you could actually accuse anyone at anytime, even if it's the wrong person or you don't have the full story. So if you want to do Real Detective Work, this seems to scratch that itch.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
My advice for Paradise Killer, look out for footbaths. I walked past them so many times, before realising you can pay them for upgrades. I've found three so far, and they're game changing, and not very well signposted.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Inertial Drift is out today on everything. It is a twin stick racing/drifting game. Fair warning it takes a while to "click" since you can barely steer normally, which I'm not a huge fan of but is fun enough to keep at it.

10% off until the 18th ($17.99)There is a demo subtitled Sunset Prologue if you want to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I completed my Paradise Killer play through and was into it the whole way through. Really cool open ended take on the VN genre. It’s absolutely going to be an overlooked cult classic kind of game.