Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AndrewP posted:

is there any way to get traffic numbers for Deadspin pre and post exodus? I'm curious as to how much it has cratered

A while ago it was shown that it had better numbers as a dead website with no new content than it did after starting back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

A while ago it was shown that it had better numbers as a dead website with no new content than it did after starting back up again.

That must’ve just been muscle memory for people the first few weeks

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

To me, the most interesting part of Ley's post was the revelation that Spanfeller brought him back in to try and save Deadspin after everyone had quit over editorial control issues. And decided to just talk about advertising strategy.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Locked-in-amber Deadspin had the same attraction as the Leaning Tower of Pisa, no one cares about the rubble and no one would notice if it was working as expected.

Considering signing up for Defector simply on the promise of no Chum Boxes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

"Digiday posted:

Traffic to Deadspin has steadily been increasing since February when it had 717,000 unique visitors, to more than 1.9 million unique visitors in April, according to Comscore. However, year over year, traffic is down almost 85%, with Comscore reporting that the site had 13.8 million unique visitors in April 2019.

I'd be curious if in a few months Defector is topping Undeadspin.

e: If this is correct, Undeadspin is up to 2.5m viewers. Can't wait to hear the PE guys doing massive lines over a 200% increase in uniques since February... Of course, by way of comparison, Old-Deadspin had 11.5m unique visitors in February 2019.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 10, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sometimes I'll be on Jalopnik and there will be a link to a story on 'Deadspin' that I'll click just out of habit. But then I remember and don't bother reading it.

Also the site is a little unwieldy right now and this seems to be a better link for compulsive refreshing: https://defector.com/all/

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 10, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the new WYTS about the Lions doesn't have a comment from ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER

did he finally swear off that team

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Gerund posted:

Locked-in-amber Deadspin had the same attraction as the Leaning Tower of Pisa, no one cares about the rubble and no one would notice if it was working as expected.

Considering signing up for Defector simply on the promise of no Chum Boxes.

If you can afford it, do it!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

we are finally free

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
One thing I'm a little annoyed with is the site keeps asking if I want to upgrade to a commenter account. I hope it's temporary, or it's gonna get old really fast.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

hcreight posted:

One thing I'm a little annoyed with is the site keeps asking if I want to upgrade to a commenter account. I hope it's temporary, or it's gonna get old really fast.

Do you run a PiHole or any kind of DNS blackhole? I do and haven't seen that pop-up after I dismissed it the first time. I wonder if it is tracker-triggered? If so, Privacy Badger would also be able to stop it, though that might have CDN side-effects, depending on how their site is constructed.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I don't, but might have to look into it. I'm hoping in good faith that it's either temporary because the site is launching or that it's a bug that needs fixing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/dhm/status/1304096401085865984

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wish I liked Deadspin's content better because I'd love to support an outlet like Defector. Have an Athletic membership and supported The Classical when that was around but I get 90% of Deadspin's usefulness out of Twitter these days

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 10, 2020

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

hcreight posted:

I don't, but might have to look into it. I'm hoping in good faith that it's either temporary because the site is launching or that it's a bug that needs fixing.

I very much recommend getting one. You can build a PiHole on a Pi Zero W board for about $20 and then you can extend its usefulness by running your own VPN service, too, along with a lot of other functionality.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I really wish the defector had a monthly thing instead of a whole year commitment.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Pvt. Public posted:

I very much recommend getting one. You can build a PiHole on a Pi Zero W board for about $20 and then you can extend its usefulness by running your own VPN service, too, along with a lot of other functionality.

I know this is off-topic but yeah, I can also vouch for running a PiHole. I have it running in a Docker container on my home server for easy and clean install/uninstall (https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole). The only downside is sometimes trying to figure out if the reason you can't access a site is because a domain is blocked, but they give enough easy-to-use tools to figure that out quick enough.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Lockback posted:

I really wish the defector had a monthly thing instead of a whole year commitment.
They do, I think you just have to click the little switch where it says annual / monthly.

Defector is a good website, and I am glad the Deadspin team is back (mostly)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

DJExile posted:

I want to say he swore the fandom off two years ago in his WYTS submission, and was absent from last year's entry as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Boredumb posted:

They do, I think you just have to click the little switch where it says annual / monthly.

Defector is a good website, and I am glad the Deadspin team is back (mostly)

Thanks! The 3 other pages I saw with their prices didn't have the monthly stuff. I'm in a month or so to give it a shot!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Kibner posted:

I know this is off-topic but yeah, I can also vouch for running a PiHole. I have it running in a Docker container on my home server for easy and clean install/uninstall (https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole). The only downside is sometimes trying to figure out if the reason you can't access a site is because a domain is blocked, but they give enough easy-to-use tools to figure that out quick enough.

Agreed. Not only is the PiHole cheap to build, the interface is really friendly and setup is about as simple as it gets.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

He did, actually. I believe he also skipped WYTS last year as well.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Defector is good and I am enjoying reading all the articles. Having a site to be excited to read day-to-day (besides this one) will be greatly appreciated.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TL posted:

He did, actually. I believe he also skipped WYTS last year as well.

He had a grand finale letter in 2017 or 2018. Also he got married somehow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/1304193361268617223?s=19

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Man, the comment section is already in rare form. The site may look way different but that’s Deadspin alright.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm SO HAPPY IT'S BACK.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

He had a grand finale letter in 2017 or 2018. Also he got married somehow.

Well hey, good for him! :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm SO HAPPY IT'S BACK.

this isn't an empty quote :toot:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i didn't notice "so he didn't like a one of my tweets" until i saw this
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1304197678771961859?s=20

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Kinda feel let down I gave em 100 and they couldn't get any women's sports coverage into their first day between all the Drew Magary pieces. They do have a section (empty as yet) for the WNBA so hopefully it'll pick up soon.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that eskin tweet might be the funniest tweet i've seen in at least a year

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Was Taters posted:

Kinda feel let down I gave em 100 and they couldn't get any women's sports coverage into their first day between all the Drew Magary pieces. They do have a section (empty as yet) for the WNBA so hopefully it'll pick up soon.

We also just had two bomb rear end semi final matches in the US Open so maybe they write something about those tomorrow?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Magary for better or worse is their biggest draw by far, WYTS was one of their longest running and most popular things, and the football season started today so I can see wanting to open with that when they're launching the site.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I get it, but it's kind of mehhhh to 'get to the ladies when we have some spare column inches'. I mean the Caster Semayana thing is news, NWSL is having a mini-season (game today postponed by smoke, bleh). The bar's gotta be higher than 'yeah we see.'

Actually I'm being too mild here. They ran 17 pieces today, and none of them were about women in sports. Maybe hold the piece on Chelsea Football Club for one more day and do something on the WNBA.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Well, if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's this crew. I think today was probably mostly about keeping the site from crashing while getting some blogs posted.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Never was a big deadspin fan but at least there's another option over the terrible Ringer and Barstool now

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I used to complain about the tiered Kinja comment system, but the first thing I did at Defector was sort by +1s.

I hope all the funny commentors come back. Deadspin's comment section was a rare thing.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

AndrewP posted:

I used to complain about the tiered Kinja comment system, but the first thing I did at Defector was sort by +1s.

I hope all the funny commentors come back. Deadspin's comment section was a rare thing.

Im posting there, so you're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Was Taters posted:

I mean, the staff of Defector cover women’s sports have historically covered them at a far greater clip than their contemporaries than, well, every sports site in history. So, I have the utmost confidence that they will. Giri will have many words about the US Open tomorrow.

For anything more, you’d probably need a site that only covers women’s sports.