Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Little Death posted:

Again, no change to heal. Jacob knows this and is smug about it. He does want greg to die.

... She was mind-controlled, she doesn't even remember it. This is the exact Bad DM bullshit he complains about with paladin traps. poo poo, I've definitely seen people complaining about their paladin getting mind-controlled then losing their powers when the villain/DM has them murder an orphanage or whatever the gently caress, and you know what? They were always right to complain. That's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

The Little Death posted:

Can I just pause here and say that I find it weird that two of Mookie's stories so early in the comics have involved driving people to suicide as the main plot? It' sjust s tarange narrative device to really on this frequently, and with other things we know about him (dead girls in bathtubs) makes me a little uncomfortable.
Just like Legacy, Mookie does not stop pulling his pud just because he's working on his comic.

quote:

Dominic sets off to save the day. I can't put my finger on why, but I don't like this interaction. I don't like DOminic just being the designated hero and not reaction to the situation in any way other than that.
Aside from it being an overdone cliche in the first place, it's contrary to the crumb of one word personality he allegedly has, being a curmudgeon who largely wants to be left alone. That isn't really the sort who does stuff like this.

quote:

Dominic is able to reverse the despair spell.

Here's the thing. I know that suspension of disbelief is a subjective thing, and that I'm coming into this reread with a base level of antipathy that I can't get rid of entirely, no matter how neutral I"m trying to be in my analysis. So maybe to a new reader, dominic having this scroll prepared, to break this powerful and very specific spell, doesn't feel too contrived or convenient. But to me it does. Especially since it's not one of the spells he offhandedly mentions here:
Nah, this is objectively bullshit, even through the lens of this devil's advocate thing you're doing. Ah, the first appearance of Dominic's signature spell: gently caress You See The Truth! We will see it plenty more.

Also, Dominic is not immune to enchantments or illusions and is later affected by both of them, and this is not a trait other seers claim to have, but who cares.

quote:

I feel like maybe Dominic could have told spark to warn Milov and Jayden, or Luna and Greg, but whatever.
But if he did that, then things would be accomplished by characters not named Dominic Deegan. Can't have that.

quote:

We end this section with Jacob being the best, once again.

So overall I think here is where we see why perople thought Mookie could write good villains, and what brought some people in. Despite Jacob's plan relying too much on knowing exactly what all the pieces would do, this entrance, with him firmly in control and accomplishing his plan, is compelling. Despite the misstep with greg, Jacob feels like one of those grey villains that is out for his own ends but can sometimes help or ally with the heroes. HE is fun, and at the time, really novel. I like his aethetic and this point, he's quippy and funny, just the right kind of irreverant. Mookie has not ruined him yet.

But again, I wonder about the intentionality of it. Jacob seems to have actually gone out of his way to prevent anyone from dying, other than the chosen. Ultimately the only person really negatively affected is Jayden. So he's not good, but he's not uncaring the way he claims to be, or he doesn't seem to be anyway. But that is never brought up in the comics, that idea that he is playing this role of the monster, to convince himself or others of how dangerous he is, is never explored. So we're just left with the text of the comic communicating one thing that is never addressed, and the action showing another.

I don't think Mookie could stomach a town full of innocents dying, or a main character dying. So instead of finding a way around that, he just writes a story where hiw super-bad, no-good, definitely a murdered villain doesnt' let people die for no reason. Just moves on without addressing it. So was jacob popular, and is he well rememberd, because of Mookie's writing, or in spite of it?

Hard to tell.
Jacob is kind of funny because he's one of the few characters who's allowed to dunk on Dominic, even if it's just for a second. As the comic drags on, Dominic's plot armor blocking Jacob from doing anything to him grows thicker and his contrivances more tortured, so like all the other villains, he quickly loses his luster. Definitely in spite of.

catlord posted:

... She was mind-controlled, she doesn't even remember it. This is the exact Bad DM bullshit he complains about with paladin traps. poo poo, I've definitely seen people complaining about their paladin getting mind-controlled then losing their powers when the villain/DM has them murder an orphanage or whatever the gently caress, and you know what? They were always right to complain. That's bullshit.
D&D itself has special provisions for this kind of thing, and if your guy is only forced to do Naughty Stuff through mind control, it doesn't really count. Once more, Mookie can't clear even this very low bar.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

That would've taken so little to be so much better. Let Jacob be cool and good dammit

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
drat I actually...really liked Jacob’s intro. It’s anime as all get out but in a good way, kind of sucks that Mookie fumbled it by having the scene go on too long. Jacob has the climactic battle with the villain where all the pieces of the mystery fall into place (kinda), he coulda just taken his spoils and bounced and it would be a great scene with tons of story potential. Instead he sticks around for a way lamer battle and to be evil in a much more generic way. Mookie’s habit of redundancy really spoils the moment.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

drat I actually...really liked Jacob’s intro. It’s anime as all get out but in a good way, kind of sucks that Mookie fumbled it by having the scene go on too long. Jacob has the climactic battle with the villain where all the pieces of the mystery fall into place (kinda), he coulda just taken his spoils and bounced and it would be a great scene with tons of story potential. Instead he sticks around for a way lamer battle and to be evil in a much more generic way. Mookie’s habit of redundancy really spoils the moment.

It's like the dramatic equivalent of Randall Munroe's post-punchline dialogue and is a natural consequence of Mookie not planning the comic out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Getting reintroduced to Jacob here, via Vilrath, I realize that he's just Mozenrath from the Aladdin cartoon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 9, 2020

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I never read DD when it was going, and I can see, yeah, if I was still a dumb 14 year old back in the old days that might have even grabbed me. The interpretation of Jacob arranging things as an excuse to heal his brother and get what he wants, that all could have worked for an interesting villain with a gray family dynamic. For a moment it actually seems like Dominic was wrong to talk trash about Jacob. Sure, he killed people to gain more powers, but he was killing even worse bad-guys, and he saved his family and even fixed a mistake he'd made on his younger brother without making it obvious that healing him of the blight was his plan. It could have really worked!

Instead I guess he's just Killman: The Bad Boy Skeleton Meanie. And he just wants to kill his family because... evil people kill their families?

He stumbled into a good story, panicked, and quickly backed his way out, because he couldn't have a bad guy who was in any way complex or had ambiguous goals. This is incredible.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Getting reintroduced to Jacob here, via Vilrath, I realize that he's just Mozenrath from the Aladdin cartoon.
Certainly possible, though I think a more likely culprit is D&D's pale master prestige class:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, if things had been changed around so that Jacob was no-joke a tragically misunderstood anti-villain who started out with the best of intentions, he could have been a legitimately compelling antagonist.

Just off the top of my head, I could see a later arc where he confronts his family with the truth of what was going on with his experiments on Greg that fateful day, and forces the rest of them to confront the idea that their jumping to conclusions and casting him out without letting him try to explain himself was just as responsible for his fall as his own actions afterwards were. Heck, maybe even have him have a particular soft spot for Greg for still seeing the best in him even after all these years... and a sore one with Dominic for being the one who blew the whistle on him, to explain his grossout trolling.

Also, his design is so derivative of Sephiroth it hurts, but I’m willing to let that slide with how morbidly hilarious he is.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I missed posting this strip originally, I've edited it in.

Like I said, dumb anime trope. I really hate this "get greg fired up, have his magic powers go off" thing Mookie does. That's twice that the big villain is taken down this way.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Their Last Rites involves full-mouth kissing of the near-deceased.

Mookie,

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Can't help but feel that Jacob got the Siegfried treatment. Mookie stumbled into writing a legitimately entertaining and compelling character, realized he was going to outshine the other Deegans, and quickly wrote in that sequence where he attempts to kill his brother. It's so frustrating to read because Jacob's brotherly gross-out gags and dunks on Dominic are probably the only time the comic has ever made me laugh with it.

Mookie should've read the room and made his follow-up comic Jacob Deegan: Necromancer for Pyre.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Jacob being a heinous villain who still enjoys trolling his little brothers, and wanting to keep them around because life is more fun with them is a genuinely entertaining character trait. Why is Mookie so bad at this that he ruins things he accidentally makes good? You have to try to be this terrible at creativity.

I also think if his reason for becoming a necromancer was to better understand what attacked his family and wanting to use that knowledge to protect them against it, and then the typical seduction by power happens, would be more interesting than just an immediate "drat that poo poo that hurt my brother was :krad:." And that could lead in to the continued soft spot for his family even after the full heel turn.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I won't bother repeating all that everyone's already said about Jacob and instead point out that the couple of panels where mookie drew Greg from the front are way more anime than his usual three-quarter and side perspectives. Don't know if he ever does that sort of thing again, even.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

catlord posted:

Like I've mentioned before, Jayden is constantly treated the worst of any of the major characters. Pam is a close second just because she's the one that ends up in proximity of Greg (the worst character) the most, and being the butt of most of the sexist jokes later on.

Also with this power up we're beginning our transition to a level beyond Greg, also known as Greg 2.

Also Jacob here is definitely (unintentionally) the best character and antagonist Mookie's done, at least during this early scene. Most notably it's probably the only time that despite Dominic's scheming and plot sight bullshit, it's really like the one time an antagonist basically wins for more than like, a few panels before it's reversed. Jacob shows up, trolls the poo poo out of Dominic, gets what he wants, and leaves on his own terms. Even Greg's power-up and lashing out doesn't bother Jacob at all, since it doesn't stop him from getting what he came for.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 9, 2020

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Worth noting just how fast Greg overcame his disability; I think this partly sets an expectation for Snout overcoming his deafness in the Legacy, which hasn't happened yet. I'd say this is to mookie's credit, but it's also obvious that he cannot really write around this limitation without resorting to dialogue-in-all-but-name with long written exchanges between Snout and the people he meets. He isn't really learning anything from this sort of limitation, he's just having his characters do nothing until he can shove text in the comic, which allows the plot to progress and develop.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zerilan posted:

Also with this power up we're beginning our transition to a level beyond Greg, also known as Greg 2.

Then there's Greg 3, the stupidest Greg, and finally Greg 4, the most insufferable one.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Then there's Greg 3, the stupidest Greg, and finally Greg 4, the most insufferable one.

For people who've never read Deegan before, this is not a joke. They were both so bad.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

YF-23 posted:

Worth noting just how fast Greg overcame his disability; I think this partly sets an expectation for Snout overcoming his deafness in the Legacy, which hasn't happened yet. I'd say this is to mookie's credit, but it's also obvious that he cannot really write around this limitation without resorting to dialogue-in-all-but-name with long written exchanges between Snout and the people he meets. He isn't really learning anything from this sort of limitation, he's just having his characters do nothing until he can shove text in the comic, which allows the plot to progress and develop.

The one thing I think stopping Mookie from giving Snout hearing is that he doesn’t consider Snout a person who’s deaf, but like an archetype. If Snout wasn’t deaf it’d be a totally new character to him, but in his mind Gregory was always a guy with a disability that was gonna be cured.

The main argument against this is that Greg turns into three or four different characters over the course of the story, but I don’t think Mookie knew he was doing that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I had forgotten how much Jacob thoroughly trolls Dominic during his murder spree. It's legit one of my favourite bits in the comic because it's Dominic impotently getting owned with absolutely no recourse.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Man I forgot how much fun Jacob was before Mookie needed him to stop making Dominic look less perfect.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

FlocksOfMice posted:

Their Last Rites involves full-mouth kissing of the near-deceased.

Mookie,

How can we even tell if its full-mouth kissing? She could just be kissing him on the cheek, it's impossible to tell with the bad face and her thumb being where his mouth might be if it was a peck on the cheek. Just diabolically bad art.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Why do the death rites involve smooching on corpses
Apart from the obvious "from a story perspective, Greg needed a boner"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

EthanSteele posted:

How can we even tell if its full-mouth kissing? She could just be kissing him on the cheek, it's impossible to tell with the bad face and her thumb being where his mouth might be if it was a peck on the cheek. Just diabolically bad art.
Mookie copies from cheap, lovely anime that draws the mouth as a mobile single celled organism that floats around and switches from cheek to cheek depending on which side is closer to the camera so it can flap about freely. As FuegoFish said in his definitive review of Dominic Deegan, this makes absolutely no loving sense to do in a static medium since it looks like poo poo and doesn't actually save any time or effort.

Given Mookie's pervasive misogyny, since the "last rites" (couldn't even change the loving name) are being administered by a woman, the cleric can't just say a prayer or Charlie Brown her arms around, she must be sexualized while she's performing her duty. Consequently, it's reasonable for a reader to interpolate that as meaning Greg's mouthspot wandered from his right cheek to his left cheek so Jayden could open mouthed kiss his bloody mouth to suck his soul out and refill her daily spell slots.

TheHan posted:

The one thing I think stopping Mookie from giving Snout hearing is that he doesn’t consider Snout a person who’s deaf, but like an archetype. If Snout wasn’t deaf it’d be a totally new character to him, but in his mind Gregory was always a guy with a disability that was gonna be cured.

The main argument against this is that Greg turns into three or four different characters over the course of the story, but I don’t think Mookie knew he was doing that.
This is a consequence of Mookie writing all his characters, even (and arguably especially) mains, with only one trait. Snout is Deaf. Consequently, this is never allowed to change.

Cat Mattress posted:

Are you splitting the Gregs up differently from how I mentally compartmentalize them? I only remember 3 Gregs: Greg 1: helpless waif Greg with a bad leg to show off how compassionate Dominic is, Greg 2: Goku Greg with super powers and Greg 3: Heavy metal Greg. What Greg is my brain repressing to try to keep me safe?

YF-23 posted:

I would say that Snout's disability has in fact been overcome and was overcome essentially immediately. Being deaf in a pre-modern setting is a significant handicap because society's accessibility for the disabled is even worse than it is now, everyone doesn't carry around a phone to write messages to you, sign language probably is not widespread and may not exist at all, and literacy is not universal. To say nothing of the dangers a deaf adventurer would face when monsters are able to capably sneak up on him.

Snout has nullified all of these drawbacks pretty much from day one. He immediately got a hearing companion to protect him from stuff and everyone he runs into is fully literate and doesn't mind taking extra time to write their own thoughts and read his responses. It's the same as Dominic losing his left leg at the knee but getting it replaced with a perfectly functional prosthesis that never causes him any difficulty, it isn't a real handicap or flaw.

YF-23 posted:

I won't bother repeating all that everyone's already said about Jacob and instead point out that the couple of panels where mookie drew Greg from the front are way more anime than his usual three-quarter and side perspectives. Don't know if he ever does that sort of thing again, even.
I think he does this a couple of times during the Snowsong arc.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Let's Wrap this up

Chapter 8: Visions of Doom [Part 7]

Mookie takes way to long to wrap up loose ends in these arcs. In a daily format you notice it less, but here, entire sections of his archive are useless filler.

Like this whole interaction. What the gently caress is the point of drawing this out over two strips? I know the cliffhanger is obviously what caused this, but you would think Mookie would realize how anticlimactic it is to always reverse what just happened. In fact most this section could just be condensced to the one strip where they heal Siggy.

This is mildly funny. I want werewolves in Legacy. Mookie, show me that spellwolf dong.

Again, all of this didn't need to happen, it's just more establishing of Gregs crush which we already knew and which...

Goes away here, replaced by Greg's realization that he's not using a walking stick.

Ok, so I know that this is a standard trope in a lot of stories, But I hate, hate, hate Greg's schoolboy crush on Jayden, and having it resolved this way. How was she the "woman of his dreams"? He barely knows her. All he know's is that she's pretty and kind in an anime nun way. She's not a person to him, and they've barely had any interactions. This sort of nerd pining has always ticked me off, and I will never get why people thought it was relatedable or compelling. It just grosses me out.

Stop looking directly at me Dominic, you smug douche.

Again, all of a sudden Jayden, Milov and Siggy are more interesting trio than the Deegan bunch. This poo poo is what makes people think Mookie is good at writing. There's a nice subtlety here, friends who know each others flaws and virtues, and it's compelling.

Except I think Mookie really just meant it as a "Man Jayden is so cool for knowing how to placate the angry jock. She's soooooo dreamy". I don't believe he intended this to come out the way it does.

Joke strip that goes nowhere and doesn't connect to what comes before or after. YOu never find out if they sleep in a different room.

Fake-out dream sequence, but it does lead to this:

Which is hammy and pointless, but the sleepless night monologe is a staple, so I'll allow it.

Ok, so here's the only part of this section that matters.

Again, here we see Mookie doubling down on Jacob's badness. People must have been talking. He was trying to kill Greg because otherwise greg would still idolize him. Why, if his goal is detachment, did he only care about killing Greg. How was that his first solution, and why does it even matter if Greg idolizes him, since he already cared so little about Greg's life that killing him was an option? Why not just kill them all, if he wants to be unconnected? IF he doesn't value life, it doesn't make sense to be both this picky about killing, and be willing to murder his little brother.

I mean, maybe he always hated Greg. Understandable.

This enlightement in undeath thing is a little interesting, but again really just vague confusing bullshit MOokie didnt' think of. As evidence by....

THIS CONCLUDING STRIP. WHICH IS GROSS AND CREEPY.

First, Jacob's plan is stupid and meaningless. How his Dr. Frankenstein schtick was supposed to make hime "the Zombie Alive" is never clear. Also, the term you're looking for is a lich Mookie. I knwo you don't think it is, but it is.

But that third and fourth panel. Naked dead lady, "Mortal wants and needs", big rear end knife.

Sorry, gross. Fetish representation, definitely. It is just so blatant it turns my stomach.

One more section of this story to go after this, but I want to just leave it on the above because it grossed me out so much to read it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

Like this whole interaction. What the gently caress is the point of drawing this out over two strips? I know the cliffhanger is obviously what caused this, but you would think Mookie would realize how anticlimactic it is to always reverse what just happened. In fact most this section could just be condensced to the one strip where they heal Siggy.
In a comic written by someone who isn't Mookie, Greg might have actually been allowed to indulge in this feeling and pay Siegfried back for the hate crime he committed earlier. It would also provide some shading on Greg and show that despite being a healer, he could diverge albeit very slightly from having the stock healer personality of simpering punching bag. You'd be hard pressed to find any normal person who thought that refusing to heal the wounds of someone who beat the poo poo out of you was even a real flaw.

Living with a physical disability, even temporarily, might humble Siegfried and teach him about the difficulties they face on a daily basis. Perhaps his fellow knights would directly give him poo poo, the townspeople of Lynn's Brook would stone him as he walked by, or he could just face non-cartoonish difficulties such as getting dressed or wiping his own rear end.

Dominic or maybe even the depowered Jayden could speak to Greg and beg him to be the better man and heal Siegfried. Maybe since Mookie's got a suicide fetish Siegfried could even consider killing himself since his purpose in life of being an itinerant murderhobo is no longer possible, and then Greg could burst in, say he'd learned his lesson, and heal him.

But no, we can't have normal things.

quote:

Ok, so I know that this is a standard trope in a lot of stories, But I hate, hate, hate Greg's schoolboy crush on Jayden, and having it resolved this way. How was she the "woman of his dreams"? He barely knows her. All he know's is that she's pretty and kind in an anime nun way. She's not a person to him, and they've barely had any interactions. This sort of nerd pining has always ticked me off, and I will never get why people thought it was relatedable or compelling. It just grosses me out.
It's a bad trope in all of those stories too because it treat women as trophies that the gary stu gets after he wins the basketball game or whatever. It appeals to people like Mookie because they view women as things that they deserve handed to them on silver platters, like dragon ball z magic or golden robot hands.

I know we discuss how Mookie can only draw one face occasionally, but in an arc like this that heavily features Jacob, Siegfried, and Milov, it becomes confusing about who is who since they all also have the same hair, and the typical comic is 80% text box with the art only visible through a thin slice like being viewed through a medieval knight's visor so we can only see the head and can't take clothes or skeleton arms into account in certain shots.

quote:

First, Jacob's plan is stupid and meaningless. How his Dr. Frankenstein schtick was supposed to make hime "the Zombie Alive" is never clear. Also, the term you're looking for is a lich Mookie. I knwo you don't think it is, but it is.

But that third and fourth panel. Naked dead lady, "Mortal wants and needs", big rear end knife.

Sorry, gross. Fetish representation, definitely. It is just so blatant it turns my stomach.

One more section of this story to go after this, but I want to just leave it on the above because it grossed me out so much to read it.
While you're obviously right, that Jacob is going to commit sex crimes on this corpse, when Mookie intends his characters to be rapists, he will beat the audience to death with it. I think he was just so blinded by shoehorning his dead woman fetish into the comic, he didn't think about the implication, and intended Jacob to just be cutting her necromantic claw hand off to graft onto Quilt or something. This is, of course, worse than having Jacob be a necrophiliac on purpose.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Jacob is right about how radical skeletons are

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If through some cruel joke of god I were Dominic Deegan’s editor, I think I would’ve cut every page in this chapter.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Miss posted:

Jacob is right about how radical skeletons are
They're bad to the bone!

TheHan posted:

If through some cruel joke of god I were Dominic Deegan’s editor, I think I would’ve cut every page in this chapter.
If I were the editor, I would've cut every page in every chapter.

EDIT:
Popsicle is a brand name, Mookie, you imbecile.

mfw zombie alive

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 10, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Invisible Clergy posted:

Are you splitting the Gregs up differently from how I mentally compartmentalize them? I only remember 3 Gregs: Greg 1: helpless waif Greg with a bad leg to show off how compassionate Dominic is, Greg 2: Goku Greg with super powers and Greg 3: Heavy metal Greg. What Greg is my brain repressing to try to keep me safe?

Naïve Greg -> Goku Greg -> Super Greg -> Metal Greg

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, ok, thanks for clarifying. I'd kind of lumped Goku Greg together with Super Greg, but I guess they are insufferable in different ways.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Because in the Dominic Deegan world, there are comic books, and those comic books are of the super hero genre, because

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Might have made for some interesting insights if Jacob was trying to claim that he was just trying to detach himself from his worldly tethers, but it’s really obvious that his run in with his siblings shook him up something fierce, and laying the seeds for their eventual team-up.

And... while the heavy necrophilia implications are gross and gratuitous, I actually kind of like the very broad strokes idea of finishing with a scene of him engaging in some unambiguously evil act as a jarring reminder for the audience that, for whatever sympathetic qualities he might have, he’s still very much a threat to anyone who’s in his way. Absolutely not anything even remotely sexual, obviously, but... I don’t know, something morbid? Like, pan to reveal that he’s kicked back and relaxing with a zombie as a footrest, he has a coat rack by the door made of severed arms, an undead “butler”, you get the idea.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Hamm's, the beer refreshing
Jacob, the zombie alive

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Shaka, when the walls fell.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Miss posted:

Because in the Dominic Deegan world, there are comic books, and those comic books are of the super hero genre, because
So Star Power is part of the Dominic Deegan Cinematic Universe? :thunk:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Had a dream where I was reading a webcomic where the author created a really cool character (Siggy) by accident and then tried writing them out by sending them to hell, but the fans did some rewriting where the character goes to hell in a cool and radical way.

So weird.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

God drat does Jacob have wasted potential here. Especially since he starts out strong! There's little here that hasn't been said but good god does Mookie know how to immediately rob characters of anything interesting. He has like, anti-narrative superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
What do people who haven't read the comic before think so far?