Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddamn, mother is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

priznat posted:

What kind of milk stays good after 13 years or whatever it was?!? That was my first reaction to that :haw:

The androids are not only handy domestic helpers, they are also high-end, super-efficient refrigerators. That's why milk spurts out every time they are hit. he containers are only used for excess milk that is not currently being android-rejuvenated.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh gently caress.

The Android is getting religion. And so is Ragnar.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
33 minutes into the first episode, boy the parallels with the background lore of alien/prometheus/the ancients are strong.

is this gonna turn out to be like prometheus where it was meant to be a straight up prequel but they couldn't afford the liscence or something?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RYYSZLA posted:

33 minutes into the first episode, boy the parallels with the background lore of alien/prometheus/the ancients are strong.

is this gonna turn out to be like prometheus where it was meant to be a straight up prequel but they couldn't afford the liscence or something?

ridley scott only directed the first two episodes and doesnt even have a writing credit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

priznat posted:

What kind of milk stays good after 13 years or whatever it was?!? That was my first reaction to that :haw:

The dude walks over to the Travis Fimmel and says "Want some milk, it's fresh" but unless that container is excreting the milk itself, it ain't fresh

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

This show is Prometheus: the show.

Some very cool poo poo and insane decisions punctuated by boring nonsense. It's almost a 1-for-1 parallel, whether you think Rids is involved or not

If they ever decide to start explaining anything I'd stop watching. Whether MILK or little plastic shields or dirty orphan Battle Backpacks full of weaponized Science, just keep truckin'. Do not provide any succor

I'd guess that the 3-ep initial release was sprung on them? Otherwise the 'cliffhanger' at the end of Ep 3. is so laughable

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

in episode 4 we learn that necromancer can indeed manipulate people
so are the voices ragnar hears necromancers planted suggestions?

and is necromancer getting schizophrenia . Since who else could the kid running in the forest be?

are the previous settlers the second religious faction that they fought on earth?
because they do have super human agility. Are the beasts result of genetic experiment gone wrong?

and lastly where are the sand worms?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn, if it's sci-fi and weird there is no way in hell I'm not watching it. I'm totally onboard after ep 3

Also, reminds me of my own parents and childhood. Lots of flashbacks and trauma being unburied here :hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Goddamn, if it's sci-fi and weird there is no way in hell I'm not watching it. I'm totally onboard after ep 3

Golden skinned T-posed banshee androids flying around and exploding people with sound is very Hyperion/Ilium Dan Simmons.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

zoux posted:

Golden skinned T-posed banshee androids flying around and exploding people with sound is very Hyperion/Ilium Dan Simmons.

Man I wish there were some adaptations of those, they’d be off the chain.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I initially thought that Mother was releasing radiation from inside her core or whatever, through her eyes/mouth. The first two guys she blasts don't get turned into a paste, they just get horribly disfigured faces that reminds of poo poo in Chernobyl.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

zoux posted:

im really struggling to get over how she flies around in a t-pose

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

I initially thought that Mother was releasing radiation from inside her core or whatever, through her eyes/mouth. The first two guys she blasts don't get turned into a paste, they just get horribly disfigured faces that reminds of poo poo in Chernobyl.

When she disfigures the two at first, it looks like she literally spits something at them/you can see projectiles that hit their face. On the ship/when she evaporates others it looks more like a sound wave or similar to the explosion wave you see in other scenes like Campion in the hole with pod.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remind me, which faction built/controlled the necromancers

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Sol. The atheists captured Mother and Father and reprogrammed them, like John Connor and the T-800.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

zoux posted:

The Mithraic built androids and the Necromancers to remain "pure" from work and bloodshed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess the Mithriacs are supposed to be a stand in to avoid controversy, but I'm gonna venture a guess that Christianity is still a going concern in 200 years. Also I don't know if they're supposed to be connected to the ancient Roman religion or why they became sun worshippers in an extremely technologically advanced society.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I guess the Mithriacs are supposed to be a stand in to avoid controversy, but I'm gonna venture a guess that Christianity is still a going concern in 200 years. Also I don't know if they're supposed to be connected to the ancient Roman religion or why they became sun worshippers in an extremely technologically advanced society.
Their history probably isn't our history, exactly.

Post-apocalyptic "Boston" aside, I imagine that the weird sun-worshippy Christianity-like mashup that is Mithraiciam took off at some point pre-Dark Ages, instead of Christianity as we know it.

The whole show is kind of a trippy fantasy, so I'm just going with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I'm just being picky. Gotta say, I don't love Travis Fimmel in this, I don't know what accent he's going for and his line reads seem off. I think he's an intense actor who does good when he gets to do a lot of physical acting, but I don't think he's a good actor.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm just being picky. Gotta say, I don't love Travis Fimmel in this, I don't know what accent he's going for and his line reads seem off. I think he's an intense actor who does good when he gets to do a lot of physical acting, but I don't think he's a good actor.

What you don't think 'permanently having to take a painful cry-poo poo' intensity is good acting

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

zoux posted:

The sun is pretty great. I can see the appeal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gently caress the sun I fuckin hate the sun. Long live the fuckin beast.

Victis posted:

What you don't think 'permanently having to take a painful cry-poo poo' intensity is good acting

It's ok when you're a laconic Viking king with blue eyes of that intensity.

But in this, for example, his read of "You bet!" when his kid asked if he'd have made a good soldier...yeesh.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Campion like most children in fiction is kind of a little poo poo. Good thing that the smug leaderson pointed out that he wouldn't be quite as pacifist if he had no food source either.

Speaking of which, these things taste like pork. Incidentally that sounds similar what culinaries would describe as long pork.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

knox posted:

When she disfigures the two at first, it looks like she literally spits something at them/you can see projectiles that hit their face. On the ship/when she evaporates others it looks more like a sound wave or similar to the explosion wave you see in other scenes like Campion in the hole with pod.

People can't look at her during necro time so I guess she emits radiation too ? It looked like she burned anyone looking, microwaving people

It gives an even more religious vibe, you can't look/hear her voice, angel of destruction :getin:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 10, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 4: lol animals have no heaven according to Sol.

Holy poo poo Mother can breath fire or at least hot enough to melt lovely medallions. And ice. Mother becomes more and more terrifying :ohdear:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Campion like most children in fiction is kind of a little poo poo. Good thing that the smug leaderson pointed out that he wouldn't be quite as pacifist if he had no food source either.

:hmmyes:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Ersatz posted:

Their history probably isn't our history, exactly.

Post-apocalyptic "Boston" aside, I imagine that the weird sun-worshippy Christianity-like mashup that is Mithraiciam took off at some point pre-Dark Ages, instead of Christianity as we know it.

The whole show is kind of a trippy fantasy, so I'm just going with it.

It's mentioned that "you reap what you sow" is in their bible and that is a phrase from the new testament.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished up to Ep 5. I can see why reviewers could get bored, but everything is so cool in this show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How did Campion get a kiwi accent :thunk:

E: they dropped 2 this week? Is that gonna be how it is every Thursday

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I didn't realize there was a episode 5 this week!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lister posted:

It's mentioned that "you reap what you sow" is in their bible and that is a phrase from the new testament.
Yeah, it's a bit odd. Coming from a Christian background (but not being Christian myself), it's hard to imagine contemporary Christianity of any form morphing into whatever it is that they're doing in 200 years time.

I suppose stranger things have happened, but it makes a lot more sense to me to just think of the show's world as having been on some sort of alt-history path for quite some time. It's juuuust close enough to a bit eerie, and there's no doubt a lot of Christian influence in the show's Mithraicism.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ooof, this is just flat out too stupid for me. It's obvious she's gonna be the new religion. Even the T pose flying seems to be a Jesus thing.

I'm out. Shame, I really wanted a good new sci-fi show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean....of course she has religious iconography, she's a religious super weapon.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why does she have corn rows in robot mode

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I got evacuated due to a forest fire and the hotel doesn’t have HBO and I don’t want to use their WiFi to torrent it. Can someone post a (spoiler tagged) recap of episode 4 here?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
ok ep 5
the stranger the believers encounter is another necromancer right ? He's the one shape-shifting as the child to fool father, and necros have shown that they can manipulate humans somewhat (mother putting them to sleep) so he's been giving the visions to ragnar ? Maybe he's a version that got there earlier and survived the first generation there?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does she have corn rows in robot mode

She reminds me of the robot from Metropolis and the corn rows seems like it should be an... helmet? Dunno why but the robot design gives me some art deco vibes, the lines on the head specially

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZZZorcerer posted:

ok ep 5
the stranger the believers encounter is another necromancer right ? He's the one shape-shifting as the child to fool father, and necros have shown that they can manipulate humans somewhat (mother putting them to sleep) so he's been giving the visions to ragnar ? Maybe he's a version that got there earlier and survived the first generation there?

Ya seems likely. It definitely isn't human.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
My problem with the cliffhanger at the end of Ep.3 was that nothing of value was in jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat that was a great couple episodes. I really get a similar vibe to some of the Arthur C Clarke stuff like the Rama books with alien ecologies and inscrutable intelligences.

Plus I really like the intro, both the music and the animations, I don't feel the need to skip it at all.

So many interesting things are getting set up, and the back story reveal was really something. Mother's actress absolutely killed it, daymn.