Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Crazy Achmed posted:

so if we did end up with weird bkackberry-likes, what are the odds that we’d have user-serviceable battery compartments? I’d consider that an acceptable compromise

those went away with waterproofing so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

L Computers, the vaporware desktop computer company that promised then-insane technology like a "puram" ssd and probably never shipped consumers a single unit. they did ship a computer to maximum pc that had a rat's nest wiring job and basically none of the things promised in the ads. they still raised millions from dumbass investors

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

speaking of which whatever happened to the magic D Wave quantum computer? Was that just a con to scam money out of Google?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

remember wap, lol

wet rear end protocol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

speaking of which whatever happened to the magic D Wave quantum computer? Was that just a con to scam money out of Google?

afaik it is still around and shipping real products which are useful, but only for a pretty narrow set of applications.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oh yeah when was bob dobbs is dead supposed to reveal it?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SO DEMANDING posted:

reminder that this is what android was shaping up to be in 2006:

then the iphone came out a year later and google had to hastily square-peg round-hole their OS into a touch-oriented device.

you had blackberry and windows mobile for competition, plus palmos on life support with a DNR tag.

i think we would have been lurching through a morass of clunky blackberry-alikes for a very long time.

dont LG tvs run palm os to this very day

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

L Computers, the vaporware desktop computer company that promised then-insane technology like a "puram" ssd and probably never shipped consumers a single unit. they did ship a computer to maximum pc that had a rat's nest wiring job and basically none of the things promised in the ads. they still raised millions from dumbass investors

that ram based ssd did come out. iirc, he who shall not be named has a video on it. the limiting factor was the pci bus I guess

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
are you thinking of the gigabyte iram because that also existed but was limited by the sata interface

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

oh hey this thread, i think this is worth crossposting. love grody old hosed up garbage like this:

SO DEMANDING posted:

I have vague memories of some grody thing that was socket 754, but with a monstrous daughterboard you could put 939 cpu in. Possibly had to move your memory to the daughtercard as well.

Oh poo poo, and in trying to find that board I found this beauty from, guess who, Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/mb/ULi/K8 Combo-Z/

DOUBLE oh poo poo, I found something even more hosed up (and maybe what I was originally thinking of) ECS made an LGA775 board that had a daughterboard you could put a 939 CPU in :psyboom:
https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Overview/EN/Motherboard/PF88 Extreme Hybrid -LL-V1-DO-1-RR-/Socket 775 -LL-Intel-RR-
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/1181-ecs-pf88-extreme-hybrid-mainboard/

Featuring ULi and SiS chipsets, respectively :barf:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

that ram based ssd did come out. iirc, he who shall not be named has a video on it. the limiting factor was the pci bus I guess

who?

also read it as varporwave computer and thought the aesthetics were all wrong :doh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

who?

also read it as varporwave computer and thought the aesthetics were all wrong :doh:

Linus tech tips. I once ate a 6 hour probe for posting an LTT video that was on topic :colbert: so I’m careful now

Wild EEPROM posted:

are you thinking of the gigabyte iram because that also existed but was limited by the sata interface

possibly. it’s been a while

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Was WiMAX actually used anywhere by anyone? I remember it was a thing for 15 minutes in like 2005?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WiMAX, like WISPs, sucks forever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Was WiMAX actually used anywhere by anyone? I remember it was a thing for 15 minutes in like 2005?
I had a sprint phone that had it and it worked fine, especially at the end when most people had switched to LTE so nobody was using it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus tech tips. I once ate a 6 hour probe for posting an LTT video that was on topic :colbert: so I’m careful now

good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

yeah i dont think go-l ever shipped a single product. that must have been something else

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

greg the peanut posted:

Headphone jacks on disc drives.. what was the point of them supposed to be?

That reminds me, what the hell were those CD ROM audio cables for? I'd been using CD-ROM drives since 1994 up until probably 2012 and never had to use one for anything ever. But every CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and DVD burner drive on the planet included it.

Hell even this BD-ROM burner has the port for it

I don't understand why none of my computers required it, not even this piece of poo poo with a 1X CD-ROM drive:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had a Virgin Webplayer that I hacked to run Windows 98, I used it as a media player in my car, since it folded down to such a small size.

when the car would start it would boot up and Winamp would start a playlist and play through a tape adapter. I later upgraded this to a USB FM transmitter that allowed me to just tune my radio to its station. this also worked in about a 500 foot radius around my car, which my friends could tune into if they were driving near me, leading them to coin it radio call sign-style, WVAN, since it was mounted in my 95 ford windstar :rip:

it was the dorkiest thing imaginable, but for the year 2000 or thereabouts, it was also really amazing.

I used to have a cigarette FM transmitter that was like that. The sound quality was flawless, and you could tune in from 3 cars away. However, mine broke, and by that time the FCC deemed my old one illegal so every single FM transmitter I bought after that sounded like static-y garbage. Is there any company that makes them but specifically ignores the FCC rules? I'm assuming something on ebay or aliexpress.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 13, 2020

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
redbook cd audio delivered directly through the soundcard without requiring processing

probably not really required beyond a machine from 2000 or so which could just pass it via software

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WilWheaton posted:

redbook cd audio delivered directly through the soundcard without requiring processing

probably not really required beyond a machine from 2000 or so which could just pass it via software

I am just confused how none of my computers ever needed one, especially not my mid-to-late 90s PCs.

Also confused as to why a Blu-ray burner would have one.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
yeah probably weird for a bluray drive to have one

as for ancient pc's, I think they could default back to doing it through the IDE bus , but, that would probably have tanked a ton of performance , especially in pre-DMA times. Say you were playing quake 1 back in '96 but half your cpu cycles were going to cranking the audio bits from the cd drive to the sound card via your cpu , when it could have just... not been doing that and just had a direct analog connection bypassing all that poo poo. That'd be a big deal back then.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

when your io path is as deeply hosed as 90s pcs were and you only have 100mhz to deal with it just send some music to the speakers

click play on the cd player in creatives licensed skeumorphic hi-fi player

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

PCjr sidecar posted:

when your io path is as deeply hosed as 90s pcs were and you only have 100mhz to deal with it just send some music to the speakers

click play on the cd player in creatives licensed skeumorphic hi-fi player

oh god I’d forgotten those. so much time spent clicking on pictures of DVD players, because what other possible interface could there be for playing DVDs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I remember having a creative SB Live! Cd drive and sound card in my first pc (a 486 sx25 from my dad's office) and it coming with that exact pseudo hifi interface and a "Q Sound" positional audio demo with a cowboy shooting at you from behind a cactus

Q Sound was pretty funny iirc. Some guy sold it to creative as some kind of super fancy positional algorithm or something when it was just levelling based on putting two mics into a literal human skull where the earholes are and doing a basic positional sample.

though tbh that's pretty much what my AV amp does to set its levels just without the skull, though it constantly over cranks the bass

edit: I literally cannot find any mention of this at all. I swear I remember reading about this and how it was a "special skull" that they used that they claimed made it better than just positional mics but now I think maybe I imagined it

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 13, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the headphone jacks and audio cords were so you could pass audio directly without involving your cpu. you could power a cd-rom drive with a 12v source, never plug in the data cable, plug in your headphones, and press play on the drive and listen to music.

you may have never hooked up that audio cable, but it could make cd music play faster and not bog down your cpu or anything. you didn’t need a software cd-player. could play a music cd while working in dos.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I am just confused how none of my computers ever needed one, especially not my mid-to-late 90s PCs.

Also confused as to why a Blu-ray burner would have one.
You needed them to play audio cds on computers if you were using software that used the functionality built into the drives rather than effectively ripping the CD and playing it back as data. The former was the norm until a certain point.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

That's the CD player software I remember the most :allears:

I remember having a creative SB Live! Cd drive and sound card in my first pc (a 486 sx25 from my dad's office) and it coming with that exact pseudo hifi interface and a "Q Sound" positional audio demo with a cowboy shooting at you from behind a cactus

Q Sound was pretty funny iirc. Some guy sold it to creative as some kind of super fancy positional algorithm or something when it was just levelling based on putting two mics into a literal human skull where the earholes are and doing a basic positional sample.

though tbh that's pretty much what my AV amp does to set its levels just without the skull, though it constantly over cranks the bass

edit: I literally cannot find any mention of this at all. I swear I remember reading about this and how it was a "special skull" that they used that they claimed made it better than just positional mics but now I think maybe I imagined it

I actually really liked Q Sound (or was it Q Surround?). My Aiwa CD players always had that feature. It really made certain sounds stand out in songs. Sometimes I'd hear stuff I never heard before. I remember a specific song that was virtually turned into an instrumental because of how good it was at bringing out the background music.

Not ideal for all music but I really liked it. I actually found an amp for my record player that has it. I turn it on once in a while.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Of those 90s skeuomorphic audio players the User Interface Hall of Shame (which itself probably qualifies for this thread, considering it's been frozen in time since 2000) found what is probably the worst of them, IBM's RealCD:

(Sorry for the tiny image, the UIHOS is the only site that has screenshots of it and they're tiny because 56k.)

Because when I think of wanting to play a CD I think of the CD jewel case. Also what I want in a CD player is for half the screen to be taken up with the logo for the application.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
pretty much everything ibm has ever made belongs in that category tho

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember playing CDs on an IBM but I don't remember that software at all.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
holy poo poo cyberlink powerdvd still exists and people still buy it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soricidus posted:

holy poo poo cyberlink powerdvd still exists and people still buy it

My latest Windows 10 box came with a copy. LMAO, I guess?

(I use VLC, of course, as no other video player actually exists.)

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

isnt powerdvd like the only pc software officially licensed to play 4k blurays or some poo poo

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

it's definitely a thing outside of creative -- at least in very niche cases to make binaural recordings:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dummy_head_recording

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

monarch computer. which owned.

i dont get how they went out of business. i think their main competitors were tigerdirect and newegg (which was good back then.) but monarch was better than both of them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

isnt powerdvd like the only pc software officially licensed to play 4k blurays or some poo poo

has the Blu-ray key been cracked open like the DVD one was? I can’t fathom having a Blu-ray drive in my PC for any other reason than to rip the movies to a format more useful in tyool2020 than a physical disk

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

hmm ok that sounds extremely useful, maybe I’ll buy a copy to try out when my next set of netflix discs arrives

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

has the Blu-ray key been cracked open like the DVD one was? I can’t fathom having a Blu-ray drive in my PC for any other reason than to rip the movies to a format more useful in tyool2020 than a physical disk

the key doesnt matter

theres a thing called libredrive that sends microcode to the drive to ignore the encryption entirely and read the video data directly

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
MakeMKV is still free and has successfully ripped every single Blu-Ray I ever tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

yeah makemkv uses libredrive if your drive supports it

if not, then it uses keys and normal bluray is cracked but idk about 4k blurays cause i think a lot of the efforts disappeared once libredrive came out