Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
elidibus rolling up to emet on heelys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point they've had multiple opportunities to make it clear that Elidibus was an Actual Kid and passed them by, so...

But they're not doing that? They've shown us about as explicitly as they would ever need to?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point they've had multiple opportunities to make it clear that Elidibus was an Actual Kid and passed them by, so...

Wait, the Alphinaud reference made me think of the twins and their eternal puberty, and I realized that FFXIV has teenager-adult colorblindness.

The fact that hes explicitly a much smaller ancient in his true form is the game saying something.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Amaurot was a highly advanced civilization that recognized the worth of manlets, going so far as to elect them to office

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The fact that hes explicitly a much smaller ancient in his true form is the game saying something.

Alphinaud and Alisaie are like 17 and they're still way smaller than the other elezen. Elidibus is probably supposed to be around that age - maybe not what essentially everyone calls a small child but definitely in the range where most people would feel comfortable saying they're a kid or at least immature. In addition, according to the FF fan wiki,

quote:

Alphinaud is a combination of "Alvin," which in old-English means "Elf Friend,"

lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really expect the twins to have a sudden growth spurt and get adult elezen bodies in the next expansion. Maybe there'll be a timeskip during the 5.x content, or maybe they just won't be part of the active party during 6.0 and when we meet up again they've grown

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rand Brittain posted:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
IMO the twins already hit their growth spurt off-screen before we met them which shot them from "smol miqo'te mystel girl" to "baby elf" size. They will eternally be elezen Cids (without the beard (hopefully))

Literally the only way to give them a chance to be imposing or in any way able to be taken seriously is to take away their nerd books and sissy foils, and give them real weapons and real jobs

give alphinaud a gun

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
why did Lahabrea make a fem-ifrit

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i never realized how badly alphinaud needs to become MCH until now

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jetrauben posted:

Why did mortals make a male Ifrita?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Because Lahabrea taught them how to summon wrong, as a joke.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Does the Amalj'aa culture even have the concept of genders?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like how they never specified Azem as male or female, either :allears:

fuckin' cute as hell

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Does the Amalj'aa culture even have the concept of genders?

I think they're supposed to have a concept of gender but almost no sexual dimorphism to speak of?

In other news, I find the notion they keep playing at with "concepts" in relation to creation magic fascinating. It's like it's a persistent pseudo-soul or essence to build a summoned entity around? And now they've confirmed there's some of 'em just lying around ready to use?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jetrauben posted:

It’s probably the original idea in universe. It’s likely that he was the one who told the Amaljaa about Ifrit in the first place (with a gender change for a patriarchal society)

That or it’s a reference to Ifreeta from WoFF
In whichcase you have to wonder why he didn’t make Shivalry or Ramewl

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

thetoughestbean posted:

In whichcase you have to wonder why he didn’t make Shivalry or Ramewl

Because Shiva is a known person that lived in Eorzean history, and Ramuh, if based off Rhalgar as theorized, is likely already based on another Ancient.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Because Shiva is a known person that lived in Eorzean history, and Ramuh, if based off Rhalgar as theorized, is likely already based on another Ancient.

I was very not serious but I appreciate the response.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've never seen a group more insistent that they beat up a kid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What we fought had little relation to the youth that was, this is something that is specified in both the game text and the story.

And he was a "youth" at the time of the sacrifice, not a baby or whatever, just like the Beoulve youth that guided our fate, or Alphinaud

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

Emet Selch going “but how could Azem get the concept of Ifrita— ugh, Hythlodaeus” is great

Was Hythlodaeus the Architect? I thought that was ES

AstrialJam
Apr 27, 2013

erenoyo posted:

Was Hythlodaeus the Architect? I thought that was ES

The "Emet-Selch's title is also the Architect" is I think fanon that just spread so much that everyone assumed it was canon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AstrialJam posted:

The "Emet-Selch's title is also the Architect" is I think fanon that just spread so much that everyone assumed it was canon.

Emet-Selch being "the architect" and Hythlodaeus being the head of the Bureau of the Architect in Amaurot is still quite possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A librarian didn't write all the books in the library.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Waffleman_ posted:

A librarian didn't write all the books in the library.

We don't know enough about Ancient lifespans and Amaurotian society to be able to say for certain that's true for them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hythlodaeus is the cashier at the Akashic Blockbuster.

Yes I would like to rent one concept of love.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Summoning is weaker creation magic and Alexander was summoned with more knowledge/intelligence than the goblins that created him, so it's entirely possible for an ancient to create a book full of factual information that they do not know.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

AstrialJam posted:

No, Emet-Selch is definitely the Architect, Hythlodaeus just runs the bureau and lives to be a thorn in his side apparently.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Hythlodaeus is the cashier at the Akashic Blockbuster.

Yes I would like to rent one concept of love.

:hmmyes: Hythlodaeus IS the guy who makes us understand a lot of things

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mister Olympus posted:

Summoning is weaker creation magic and Alexander was summoned with more knowledge/intelligence than the goblins that created him, so it's entirely possible for an ancient to create a book full of factual information that they do not know.

That's not quite a perfect example, because Alexander technically wasn't summoned with more intelligence, it was summoned with the capacity to learn and understand more than the Illuminati. Basically they summoned a Time Robot, and Time Robot could by nature perceive and understand things they couldn't.

Ramuh on the other hand is specifically this, he's a wise old man summoned by a bunch of sylphs with the self-awareness to know that they're pretty dumb and bad at leadership, so they summoned a wise leader.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jetrauben posted:

I think they're supposed to have a concept of gender but almost no sexual dimorphism to speak of?

In other news, I find the notion they keep playing at with "concepts" in relation to creation magic fascinating. It's like it's a persistent pseudo-soul or essence to build a summoned entity around? And now they've confirmed there's some of 'em just lying around ready to use?

No, a concept is exactly what it sounds like. Literally an idea. This means more to them because their magic is thinking about something and making it real. A detailed enough concept is enough for them to create something. And yeah, that's what the Architect is in charge of. Concepts, their use and their storage. What concepts are implemented and how, what concepts are kept in case they need to be used later, and what concepts should never be released.

e: As for who that is, it's implied to be Emet, with Hythlodeaus as his chief. Hythlodeaus is flat out stated to be the Chief of the Bureau of the Architect, and is told by Hades that he could have been Emet-Selch if he wanted the position. Instead he recommended Hades. He also states that Hades is better suited because he always finds a practical use for what he sees, whereas Hythlodaeus simply enjoys seeing for it's own sake. So I don't think anywhere flat out goes "Hades = Architect", but it's the thing that makes the most sense.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 11, 2020

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Mulva posted:

No, a concept is exactly what it sounds like. Literally an idea. This means more to them because their magic is thinking about something and making it real. A detailed enough concept is enough for them to create something. And yeah, that's what the Architect is in charge of. Concepts, their use and their storage. What concepts are implemented and how, what concepts are kept in case they need to be used later, and what concepts should never be released.

What I mean is that concepts seem to be persistent and stored in physical vessels. Coherent platonic ideals.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

next expansion timeskip except alphinaud rolls up to the crew 3 feet taller with tree trunk arms, an enormous beard and the same voice

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jetrauben posted:

What I mean is that concepts seem to be persistent and stored in physical vessels. Coherent platonic ideals.

Basically, the things we see in Anyder that the Cyclops, for instance, pops out of.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

blatman posted:

next expansion timeskip except alphinaud rolls up to the crew 3 feet taller with tree trunk arms, an enormous beard and the same voice

I can't imagine Alphinaud being able to grow a beard

But I can imagine him thinking he can grow a beard, so it checks out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jetrauben posted:

Yep, that is the entire basis of their society, creation magic. Everyone can make anything, but not everyone can conceive of everything, so useful ideas are stored so that others can recreate them later. That's what the Architect does, stores concepts. Any concept, all concepts. Even what we would think of as a "Primal". It's all the same to them. The idea of an object delivered in enough detail is that object, as far as the ability to create it goes.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Loving wine and also being terrified of it is canon character development.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/aspectedstep/status/1304094014149259265

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Will this mean I finally remember the Sunken Temple of Qarn's solution?

No. I will always fight the ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's the fastest way to do it anyway! Nobody cares about the loot in the treasure room.