Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BigFactory posted:

No it’s all really nice stuff, but I don’t know if someone would automatically double blind choose it over a ~$1,000 kit, but a lot of it is visual aesthetics too. For me I would absolutely not spend that kind of money on speakers I couldn’t demo first, but that’s not easy to do this year. I don’t always love Klipsch, either, so I’d extra want to listen to them first. They’re probably really nice speakers though.

Good point, never took that into consideration.

The only times I ever bought speakers without listening to them first was an impulse buy on a 2x12 guitar cab because it was $150 in the used section at guitar center. And even then I double checked on my phone the wattage and impedance to fully make sure that it would work with my amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Good point, never took that into consideration.

The only times I ever bought speakers without listening to them first was an impulse buy on a 2x12 guitar cab because it was $150 in the used section at guitar center. And even then I double checked on my phone the wattage and impedance to fully make sure that it would work with my amp.

I’ll blind purchase stuff that’s a great deal all the time but I’m a hoarder.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Holy poo poo lol this thread. And I thought I was overdoing it considering buying a turntable labs package before just doing the time honored tradition of just ganking my parents' player. On to the normal shitposting:

Duey posted:

Thanks for this, never heard of them and checked them out and immediately knew it was my poo poo.

Yay! Glad you like them, I do way better finding stuff through random goon posts too. Ripple music seem to be the top label on Bandcamp for random stoner/doom/and psych, I came across them in my on going quest to find someone similar to The Sword as they haven't done much of late other than release a compilation that was a disappointment, at least to me.

I recently remembered fangamer.com exists and apparently famed vidya gayme composer Hip Tanaka has just released an album of original material, here's a link. According to the ad copy on the page it's more toward the Earthbound side of things and he'll be releasing another album in the winter. I'm on the fence about it personally as I listen to the bandcamp preview on the page, he seems a little all over the place with effects and breakdowns and the like.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Good lord, I clicked on the link, scrolled down and this is peak niche:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

Good lord, I clicked on the link, scrolled down and this is peak niche:

Yeah, idk either other than David Wise composed it which is probably why someone bothered. There is Hip Tanaka's actual band camp page for his album but the catch is shipping it direct from Japan.

edit: Nevermind lol, I glossed over that it's CD and digital download only on Bandcamp so fangamer may be it for the vinyl.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 9, 2020

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

You have all already dragged that guy for pissing away his money on audiophile poo poo, but it's unlikely that I could tell the difference between his stuff and my AT-LP120, lovely old SX780, and bookshelf speakers.

Spending money on equipment rather than records is insane to me. Also the new Run the Jewels came in yesterday and is good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

You have all already dragged that guy for pissing away his money on audiophile poo poo, but it's unlikely that I could tell the difference between his stuff and my AT-LP120, lovely old SX780, and bookshelf speakers.

Spending money on equipment rather than records is insane to me. Also the new Run the Jewels came in yesterday and is good.

You would definitely be able to tell the difference between nice tower speakers with horns and your bookshelf speakers. It would be night and day. And I don’t know if your receiver could drive those speakers. I doubt it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

You would definitely be able to tell the difference between nice tower speakers with horns and your bookshelf speakers. It would be night and day. And I don’t know if your receiver could drive those speakers. I doubt it.

Price increase vs performance gains for most audio equipment is on an exponential scale but that doesn't mean that your beat up old bookshelf speakers are just as good as some nice B&W's or whatever. It doesn't even take magic hot stamper ears to easily tell the difference. Spending your money on records instead of gear is fine but that doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

I bought some Klipsch KLF-20's (I think that's the model) on clearance at Tweeter in like 2000 for ~$700/pair. Still sound perfect and easily one of the best dollar for dollar purchases I've ever made, if not the best. Same with the Sennheiser 650's I bought in like 2003.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

lovely old SX780

I will not stand for this characterization of the best receiver ever.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Fair enough. Reading this, I suppose I'd notice the difference, but that's not where I place value in the hobby at the end of the day.

wa27 posted:

I will not stand for this characterization of the best receiver ever.

You misunderstand! My SX780 lovely. It's missing knobs and overheats and I gave 30 bucks for it 10 years ago, but it still sounds good.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
At the end of the day, I don't think the issue is necessarily the amount of money he spent, but rather, the way he spent it.

Walking into a room and saying "I spent 5,000 dollars on a bunch of high end audio equipment that I don't even know will work" is an ostentatious show of money that most people are going to find distasteful.

I think this person is applying the Gaming PC mindset to audio equipment. And that just doesn't work as well, because PC equipment tends to at least be somewhat more measurable. How do I measure sound? How loud I can push it before it starts to distorts? Well, seeing as I live in an apartment, that sounds like a great way to put myself out on the streets. Frequency response? Most stuff you listen to probably has nothing about 24,000 hz, or even 22,050 hz if they're using a digital file already mastered for CDs. And even so, you can't hear that high, so it doesn't really impact anything (I have a 96khz version of "So" by Peter Gabriel - literally, above 20,000 is basically just noise). So, what you have is something that is fundamentally unmeasurable. What is the quality of this. How does it sound? And so you get people saying "It sounds like the band is in the room with you!" "You can hear every detail from this recording!" "It's like you're right there in the studio, which is an absurd claim since most music mixing has very little to do spatially speaking from the location in the room when it was recorded, but I need to say something impressive!"

Look, I don't have a problem with someone who wants advice. I don't have a problem with someone who is misguided. But if you're asking for advice that you're not willing to take, then don't loving ask for it. And honestly, if you're worried that the analog audio equipment that you just drop 5k on is incompatible, maybe you should have done that research before spending the money.

And especially for a beginner setup. It's like buying a guitar. I know people who can play the poo poo out of a $2,000 guitar and might actually benefit from it. But you know what? For someone just starting out, I would recommend something around $200. Sure, there's going to be issues with it. But those issues won't stop you from playing, and if you decide to stop playing, it's not like you're out a lot of money on an expensive guitar you're not going to play.

If you're just getting started with records, start small. Worst case scenario - it's not for you and you're out a couple hundred. Best case scenario, you have something you can build off of and really appreciate the system you built.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

At the end of the day, I don't think the issue is necessarily the amount of money he spent, but rather, the way he spent it.

Walking into a room and saying "I spent 5,000 dollars on a bunch of high end audio equipment that I don't even know will work" is an ostentatious show of money that most people are going to find distasteful.

I think this person is applying the Gaming PC mindset to audio equipment. And that just doesn't work as well, because PC equipment tends to at least be somewhat more measurable. How do I measure sound? How loud I can push it before it starts to distorts? Well, seeing as I live in an apartment, that sounds like a great way to put myself out on the streets. Frequency response? Most stuff you listen to probably has nothing about 24,000 hz, or even 22,050 hz if they're using a digital file already mastered for CDs. And even so, you can't hear that high, so it doesn't really impact anything (I have a 96khz version of "So" by Peter Gabriel - literally, above 20,000 is basically just noise). So, what you have is something that is fundamentally unmeasurable. What is the quality of this. How does it sound? And so you get people saying "It sounds like the band is in the room with you!" "You can hear every detail from this recording!" "It's like you're right there in the studio, which is an absurd claim since most music mixing has very little to do spatially speaking from the location in the room when it was recorded, but I need to say something impressive!"

Look, I don't have a problem with someone who wants advice. I don't have a problem with someone who is misguided. But if you're asking for advice that you're not willing to take, then don't loving ask for it. And honestly, if you're worried that the analog audio equipment that you just drop 5k on is incompatible, maybe you should have done that research before spending the money.

And especially for a beginner setup. It's like buying a guitar. I know people who can play the poo poo out of a $2,000 guitar and might actually benefit from it. But you know what? For someone just starting out, I would recommend something around $200. Sure, there's going to be issues with it. But those issues won't stop you from playing, and if you decide to stop playing, it's not like you're out a lot of money on an expensive guitar you're not going to play.

If you're just getting started with records, start small. Worst case scenario - it's not for you and you're out a couple hundred. Best case scenario, you have something you can build off of and really appreciate the system you built.

If he’s not into record collecting he only wasted money on the phonograph and pre amp (well, he probably never needed the pre amp). The rest of it is a perfectly fine stereo. And if he only wanted stuff that looks really good in his music room it would still be functional whether he buys records or not.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

If he’s not into record collecting he only wasted money on the phonograph and pre amp (well, he probably never needed the pre amp). The rest of it is a perfectly fine stereo. And if he only wanted stuff that looks really good in his music room it would still be functional whether he buys records or not.

It might be a fine stereo, but is it going to get a lot of use? And might there have been better options? For me, I do a lot of stuff through my AV receiver. Part of it is that I live in an apartment. But with zones and stuff, you can do some pretty fancy stuff even if you have a bigger space. So he might not need the receiver.

So really, the one thing we can be sure that wouldn't be a total loss is the speakers. Unless he already has really good speakers for his TV setup. But even then, he could swap those speakers out. Or he could do the zone thing.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

In non overpriced AV setups news, this came in today and I can't wait till I can throw it on while sipping whisky and taking in the apocalyptic nuclear winter wildfire haze outside my window.

The "nuka bottle" or whatever colour is more opaque than I thought it would be. Not terrible (still would've preferred black if I had the choice, but no complaints).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Most of my experience has been with guitar stuff and home recording

Oh man, trolling boomers about their overpriced guitars is always hilarious. They get so worked up and swear up and down that things like the fret board being this thing or that or the loving paint having a difference that would be audible to anyone that isn't a dog. They will never believe that the pickups and the amp matter more than anything. And once you run poo poo through pedals the average person wouldn't be able to know the difference between Les Paul Custom and a flea market Epiphone. I got into a back and forth with some dipshit about this and after him swearing up and down that the paint job has any perceptible difference on the sound he concluded that "You can't hear it but it makes a difference.". I also had a guy tell me that if you hook the guitar up to an oscilloscope you can see the difference. And these are all tin eared boomers that not only have degraded hearing naturally from age but also from years and years of playing on stage.

BigFactory posted:

No it’s all really nice stuff, but I don’t know if someone would automatically double blind choose it over a ~$1,000 kit, but a lot of it is visual aesthetics too. For me I would absolutely not spend that kind of money on speakers I couldn’t demo first, but that’s not easy to do this year. I don’t always love Klipsch, either, so I’d extra want to listen to them first. They’re probably really nice speakers though.

This poo poo is why I wish Circuit City would have been the one that stayed and Best Buy went out of business. Circuit City had people who actually knew the merchandise and they had a room where you could test the speakers. Good luck ever being able to hear anything coming out of a speaker in the middle of Best Buy.

BigFactory posted:

There is for sure a difference between mid range or entry level stuff and that crazy expensive poo poo that other poster mentioned. But I always wonder at what point it matters anymore. Eventually there's going to be not benefit to spending more. Never mind those idiots who buy superfluous equipment that costs a fortune and thousand dollar speaker cables.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

There is for sure a difference between mid range or entry level stuff and that crazy expensive poo poo that other poster mentioned. But I always wonder at what point it matters anymore. Eventually there's going to be not benefit to spending more. Never mind those idiots who buy superfluous equipment that costs a fortune and thousand dollar speaker cables.

Bigger speakers>smaller speakers.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

AW poo poo, RECORDS!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

AW poo poo, RECORDS!

Why are you trying to talk about records in the vinyl thread?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Bigger speakers>smaller speakers.

Oh of course. I just have neither the money nor the space.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CPL593H posted:

Oh man, trolling boomers about their overpriced guitars is always hilarious. They get so worked up and swear up and down that things like the fret board being this thing or that or the loving paint having a difference that would be audible to anyone that isn't a dog. They will never believe that the pickups and the amp matter more than anything. And once you run poo poo through pedals the average person wouldn't be able to know the difference between Les Paul Custom and a flea market Epiphone. I got into a back and forth with some dipshit about this and after him swearing up and down that the paint job has any perceptible difference on the sound he concluded that "You can't hear it but it makes a difference.". I also had a guy tell me that if you hook the guitar up to an oscilloscope you can see the difference. And these are all tin eared boomers that not only have degraded hearing naturally from age but also from years and years of playing on stage.

This poo poo is why I wish Circuit City would have been the one that stayed and Best Buy went out of business. Circuit City had people who actually knew the merchandise and they had a room where you could test the speakers. Good luck ever being able to hear anything coming out of a speaker in the middle of Best Buy.

Those guys are dumb as gently caress and I love it. But for anyone that wants to hear a demo of just this scenario:

https://youtu.be/UHsfwniewV0

But realistically the point of "spending more money doesn't matter" is like a total of $600. Stupid music poo poo is some of my favorite poo poo.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

caligulamprey posted:

AW poo poo, RECORDS!

Does it glow in the dark? Surely it must glow in the dark

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I don’t think it does (in fact I was expecting it to be transparent and tinted) but now that you mention it, not having the Fallout 3 soundtrack glow in the dark is a real oversight.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
You expect Bethesda to get something right these days?

I'm really surprised it wasn't the standard coke bottle green. All the Nuka Cola pictures I've seen don't look anything like that. It actually reminded me of a retired Jones soda flavor I wish I could have again: Bug Juice

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
3 Dog Sucks

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So um, does anyone have recommendations for a halfway decent pre-amp that is NOT stupidly expensive? Preferably one that my AT-LP 120 can rest snugly on top of.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Ballz posted:

So um, does anyone have recommendations for a halfway decent pre-amp that is NOT stupidly expensive? Preferably one that my AT-LP 120 can rest snugly on top of.

Have you not read the room? You’re not allowed a separate pre-amp unless you wanna be dragged through the mud for being too bourgeois.

To not totally poo poo up this post I’d recommend just searching YouTube for it. There are folks there that will recommend some decent pre-amps if you’re on a budget.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Majin posted:

Have you not read the room? You’re not allowed a separate pre-amp unless you wanna be dragged through the mud for being too bourgeois.

To not totally poo poo up this post I’d recommend just searching YouTube for it. There are folks there that will recommend some decent pre-amps if you’re on a budget.

Lol

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

I’m here to entertain apparently so let’s live the role.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ballz posted:

Unless I’m misreading, a pre-amp (probably) won’t be large enough for your record player to sit on. The ones I’ve had have always been 6” wide at most.

You shouldn’t have a problem finding a decent one under $100. I had a Rolls VP29 for 13 years before I upgraded and never had any issues with it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Asnorban posted:

Unless I’m misreading, a pre-amp (probably) won’t be large enough for your record player to sit on. The ones I’ve had have always been 6” wide at most.

Phono pre amp yeah, but a stereo pre amp is big enough.

I’ve been looking for a Luxman C120 for 3 years and haven’t found one, so I would advise against that one.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 11, 2020

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

BigFactory posted:

I’ve been looking for a Luxman C120 for 3 years and haven’t found one, so I would advise against that one.

That would explain my confusion.

Grabbed a few good ones recently. Eno and Cale - Wrong Way Up, Eno - Discreet Music, Lianne La Havas - s/t, The Microphones in 2020, The Microphones - Mount Eerie, Cornelius - Float, Cornelius - Point, and H.C. McEntire - Eno Axis.

Getting close to all the full Phil Elverum releases.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I got this one and it’s served me well. I’ve even done a few vinyl rips with it.

It’s $26 more now than in 2017.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

While on the topic of audiophile lunacy, are all sound cards effectively the same, if you’re sampling at 44.1k and 16bits?

I ask because my immediate reaction to pwn’s USB-out rips is they would sound like poo poo but I have no basis in fact for this opinion.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I got my Fallout record in. I always wanted this and here it actually is. Neat.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ballz posted:

Got an approximate budget?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Asnorban posted:

Getting close to all the full Phil Elverum releases.
Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, out of curiosity I just took a look and apparently Seven New Songs Of Mount Eerie is CD only? That's some bullshit, I wanna listen to Woolly Mammoth's Absence.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, something like that. But y'know... under $400... or under $300. Or under $200...

Maybe grabbing some late-90's Sony tuner from Goodwill is more my speed.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Toe Rag posted:

While on the topic of audiophile lunacy, are all sound cards effectively the same, if you’re sampling at 44.1k and 16bits?

I ask because my immediate reaction to pwn’s USB-out rips is they would sound like poo poo but I have no basis in fact for this opinion.

I think they're pretty great, but I have old ears now so I can basically differentiate between mp3s and wavs and that's it. I've uploaded some tracks for anyone who wants to do an A/B. These are tracks by the Saturday Night Live Band who, counter-intuitively, released an album on Electric Bird in Japan in 1983. In 1987, the label released a second LP with ten more songs that they had recorded in those sessions. In 1986, ProJazz released a CD compilation of 10 of these 17 tracks. I uploaded three songs - "Jupiter," "Caribbean Festival," and "Theme '81," one of each in wav from vinyl and one from the US CD. I also threw in a few others for fun. Please let me know if they sound like poo poo

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 11, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Yeah, something like that. But y'know... under $400... or under $300. Or under $200...

Maybe grabbing some late-90's Sony tuner from Goodwill is more my speed.

Are you looking for an integrated amp or a pre amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Those guys are dumb as gently caress and I love it. But for anyone that wants to hear a demo of just this scenario:

https://youtu.be/UHsfwniewV0

But realistically the point of "spending more money doesn't matter" is like a total of $600. Stupid music poo poo is some of my favorite poo poo.

I could go on and on about these dumb dumbs and how big of a loving scam guitars are. They keep jacking up the prices and even if you absolutely must have the sound of an ~American Series~ you can just buy a Mexican made on and for a hundred bucks pop in the pickups they use on the models that cost like 1500 bucks. I did this and FOR SOME REASON it sounds exactly the loving same as a MIA. I can't seem to find pricing on MIMs but when I got mine in 2008 it was 400 bucks. I'm sure it's probably about 200 more. As much as boomer guitar snobs look down on MIM Fenders and Squiers they're good guitars. And Squiers have come a long way in the last decade or so.

Guitars are probably an even bigger ripoff than stereo poo poo. I also just have a love for old department store brand guitars of the 60s and 70s. This is one of my guitars and my big amp:

The guitar is a 1967 Custom Kraft (just one of many names Supro used) that kind of stuff has a sort of clangy garage sound to them. And honestly a lot of them just look cool. I wish the big name guitar makers would bother with cool designs instead of rehashing to same two shapes for the last 70 years. Blah, blah blah. I like showing my poo poo to other guitar nerds.

Majin posted:

I’m here to entertain apparently so let’s live the role.

I can't speak for everyone but I welcome you to post here. Talk about records. Tell us what kind of music you like. But do you really not understand why everyone started poking fun at you?