Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If you have read DD, you can give your thoughts on this new page of the legacy:

Still NWS

The end! No tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I sure hope the guy who's had half his flesh ripped off is gonna be OK :ohdear:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ague Proof posted:

What do people who haven't read the comic before think so far?

Here and there I can see bits of why people might have liked it, looking at it from the start I can see why my friend got into it if not why they kept it up, but man is it poorly put together, and seems to have pretty much every flaw of every bad early-2000s webcomic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apparently a loadbearing weirdo.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

If you have read DD, you can give your thoughts on this new page of the legacy:

Still NWS

The end! No tension.

Haha wow. Mookie once again just thought up a somewhat interesting plot hook, but couldn't think of a way to expand on it meaningfully, so he just ended it as quickly as possible with no effort on his protagonist's part. Compared to this, Star Power is a masterpiece.

Ague Proof posted:

The same thing I've always thought when I've tried to read Dominic Deegan in the past - I become profoundly embarrassed for him, that he not only created this but is proud of it and still sells collections of it. It's pure, concentrated cringe.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I don't understand why or how Snout dragged the male corpse out of the collapsing house while running for his life from red vines. I would imagine that since he was frightened and the building was collapsing, it would've been like running while your house was on fire. Of the things I'd take with me, a mummified corpse I'd found 20 minutes ago is probably at the bottom of my list. Snout could've always gone back in for him later and dug him out of the rubble. It's not like he's gonna get any deader.

I know the metatextual reason is that since Snout's most recent mommy killed herself for his personal convenience, male corpse is going to be his new adventuring companion, but there is no valid in-universe in-character reason for him to have acted in this fashion.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
If there was any kind of indication that the half-flayed guy might still be alive it would make a lot more sense.

Ague Proof posted:

Like catlord said, it's pretty reminiscent of other early webcomics from twenty years ago. I don't think I would have gotten into it had I encountered it as a teenager, but I don't often follow ongoing, unfinished projects in general.

How old was the creator when he drew these?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, the journals seem to indicate that this guy is a soulless husk and his mind was transferred into the woman's body. I was expecting HER (or him?) to become his new companion, and the plot to be about Snout trying to help and deal with the hosed up situation she's been put in...

But instead I guess he's just going to bury this guy, go "boy, that was weird" and continue on his merry way? That's it? No interesting developments, just maybe a dozen pages of a spooky cabin side story that stopped mattering the very moment it started to matter, huh?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don’t think the lady walking unharmed out of the collapse has been taken off the table.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's true I suppose. But this IS Mookie, so you can usually assume the worst.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Snout's house blew up again.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Considering he just got half of his skin torn off, I’d really, really hope that the guy is already dead.

Hell, him suddenly waking up could legitimately even work as some effective horror material if Mookie could ever bring himself to draw from a first person perspective.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ok Let's wrap up this trainwreck

Chapter 9: The Party

I actually made a mistake last time, I included both part 7 and part 8. not that it matters, but it shows how confusing and arbitrary Mookie's archive is.

Starting out strong with a dumb joke and dominic smugness. Love that Luna will wake up in tears thing, like whatever, we know how she is.

Dumb anime nonsense that goes nowhere. I like how it deals with greg before cutting to Luna though.

Why is she waking up in tears?

Once again, her damage is solely around whether Dominic will love her.

It's ok, Dominic can be the weird nurturing figure to this damaged woman again. This isn't a creepy dynamic at all, nosiree.

Here's where Dominic stops smoking. I don't hate it.

What is greg's face doing in that last panel

Again, doesn't go anywhere. Sacred Knights don't ever even come up again I don't think. Useless filler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuzJZUsd60s

Here again, is the tiny bit of complexity in Sigfried. I feel like this was copied from something.

Dominic is a dick, who is no fun. These people are grateful and happy, and he is still a dick, and no fun, and still hates being what his chosen job is.

Again, it's because Mookie hates those drunken normies. Mookie is the worst sort of nerd.

Out of norwhere. I figure this only started because Mookie though up the alliteration. But that's the first mention of alterists.

Nurse Pam wants the man child. Nopw for the most unnatural interaction between two characters possible.

Again, all this poo poo, the crush, the pining, all happened in the space of a day to them. This is contrived anime drama superimposed over characters with none on the story structure to support it.

Of course, no woman worthy of getting the Deegan D is going to have any sort of confidence or be anything other than a wilting violet. Thankfully Dominic sets her straight. These reversals are just so Mookie. Like, oh things just work out, happy endigns with no work by the characters. It's a child's view of romance..

Milov is still a good character. The first human reaction and not the worst joke.

This is supposed to be a joke, but given that eventually Quiral and Barthis just sort of fuse together and everybody forgets they were ever seperate places to begin with, it's pretty funny

Dominic is an enormous loser.

This cats like fish humor is really scraping the barrel now. Where did she even get a full fish pie at the end of a party. IT's dumb, and I could ignore it, but I won't because Mookie is wasting my time with it.

Then we get the wrap up and the real start of Dom+Luna.

Oh it's a callback, now the man is being vulnerable so it's soooooo romantic (:barf:)

Another drop into Luna insecurity, this time for a stupid joke. Love that Luna, she's not depressing and awful at all.

Burning hatred for herself? That's not what happened, she hated her enemies! But again, Mookie essentiallizes his characters down in record time. Lune is just an insecure, fragile waifu, and she will never escape that.

Anyway, this marks the end of what was probably the high point of DD. After this, there are a few interesting ideas here and there, and the Storm of Souls arc is also not the worst, but I don't hink anything ever comes close to the Jacob/Vilrath reveal. That was probably the best story Mookie ever wrote.

Next time , we are finally heading to DOWN TOWN ERROSUS.

It's gonna be a good one :v:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know the metatextual reason is that since Snout's most recent mommy killed herself for his personal convenience, male corpse is going to be his new adventuring companion, but there is no valid in-universe in-character reason for him to have acted in this fashion.

Well as we now know Mookie’s not writing with things like “character motivation” in mind, and is just having Snout bumble into whatever plot he finds cool. Maybe in the finale we’ll learn Snout’s been manipulated by Dominic this whole time into doing what he wants, or maybe Mookie’s phoning it in so hard he doesn’t even bother giving Snout logic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Fvsgv0bYw

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like how the first romantic advice given to anyone in this comic is "gently caress being direct, get into your crush's pants by creepily hoping they'll fall in love with you if you show them how to do things"

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
that one panel of siegfried and greg hanging out happily has more engaging characterization in it than the rest of the main cast combined

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Little Death posted:

Ok Let's wrap up this trainwreck

Chapter 9: The Party

The last panel is literally a drawing of a Guilty Gear character,. Looks too lovely to be a direct trace but it could be.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Medenmath posted:

If there was any kind of indication that the half-flayed guy might still be alive it would make a lot more sense.

Like catlord said, it's pretty reminiscent of other early webcomics from twenty years ago. I don't think I would have gotten into it had I encountered it as a teenager, but I don't often follow ongoing, unfinished projects in general.

How old was the creator when he drew these?

When Mookie started the comic, he was 23, so old enough to know better.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, the journals seem to indicate that this guy is a soulless husk and his mind was transferred into the woman's body. I was expecting HER (or him?) to become his new companion, and the plot to be about Snout trying to help and deal with the hosed up situation she's been put in...

But instead I guess he's just going to bury this guy, go "boy, that was weird" and continue on his merry way? That's it? No interesting developments, just maybe a dozen pages of a spooky cabin side story that stopped mattering the very moment it started to matter, huh?
That's so loving dumb that I have no doubt you're right. If the goal was to "bury" him, why not let him be buried in the collapsing shack? Hell, why not let him stay "buried" in the hole Snout dragged him out of for no reason?

The Little Death posted:

Next time , we are finally heading to DOWN TOWN ERROSUS.
I cannot loving wait. Time to introduce the only other occasionally amusing character, Celesto, and probably the worst character in the comic, Szark (who is gay.)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Invisible Clergy posted:

When Mookie started the comic, he was 23, so old enough to know better.

Wait, really? That's so much worse than I thought. Someone in their mid 20s is writing what we are covering now?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I like how Siegfried is consistently drawn at least a head above almost everyone else around him. It feeds into his image of being an imposing brute, but also lends itself well to the classic imagery of a gentle giant when he's being a decent guy. A simple design element but used to great effect! What a good character design! :unsmith:

(:smith:)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Billy Gnosis posted:

Wait, really? That's so much worse than I thought. Someone in their mid 20s is writing what we are covering now?
Yes. This is why I push back so hard against people saying "we all did terrible webcomics like this when were 14."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

that one panel of siegfried and greg hanging out happily has more engaging characterization in it than the rest of the main cast combined

As someone who never read the original DD and is going off this thread... this is my main reaction. These are barely characters, and they do poorly conveyed things, and then they're inexplicably juggling ideas much too serious for a comic with jokes as bad and newspaper-funnies-that-have-been-going-since-1920 as that goddamn alliteration thing. Who is that supposed to amuse? How is that supposed to be entertaining to anyone who has ever seen an anime? That's not me saying 'anime is the pinnacle of art' but, drat, even really mediocre examples of the form DD is copying are infinitely better than that panel.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Imagine some of those scenes if Dom wasn't such a misanthrope. Drunk dude comes up like "hey seer which beer will I drink first?!" And Dom grabs one and says the other one and then they both have fun

But no he is above such things

Well that made me remember the stupid beer appreciation bit in the vacation arc and now I'm mad at myself

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Even if it ultimately wound up being a wet fart of a “conflict”, I did kind of like Greg’s reasoning for deciding against applying for the order of knights. Getting to do all of the things he never got the chance to do before because of his leg could have made for a perfect springboard into fleshing out the world a bit by sending him out on his own journey (or at least put him on hiatus from the main narrative), and seeing him greatly matured from his current manchild self when he makes his grand return.

Alas, this is Mookie.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Miss posted:

Imagine some of those scenes if Dom wasn't such a misanthrope. Drunk dude comes up like "hey seer which beer will I drink first?!" And Dom grabs one and says the other one and then they both have fun

But no he is above such things

Well that made me remember the stupid beer appreciation bit in the vacation arc and now I'm mad at myself

Yes that is a unique part of DD, since it aged with Mookie we can watch as dominic mirrors Mookie's metamorphosis through several types of insufferable nerd.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

- There's a lot of text
- Every character literally has the same face
-
- It's more fun to read than Legacy, probably because each strip tries to have something happen
- the lack of improvement since then is honestly sad, and makes me wonder what parts of my own life I am letting stagnate
- mid-00s webcomics was a strange time. Did people really rate comics like this, I wonder, or were they just reliable bookmarks?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

rollick posted:

- mid-00s webcomics was a strange time. Did people really rate comics like this, I wonder, or were they just reliable bookmarks?
There really wasn't anything back then that we in 2020 would consider good. Nothing that approached the quality of Sleepless Domain or Kill Six Billion Demons. Nothing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Billy Gnosis posted:

The last panel is literally a drawing of a Guilty Gear character,. Looks too lovely to be a direct trace but it could be.

Yeah that's literally Ki Kisuke from Guilty Gear.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Funnily enough, Ky later marries and impregnates an underage girl, whereas Greg does not, so points for Greg there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol yeah

Not a direct trace but it completely rips off the character design.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

rollick posted:

That's definitely where I was. At the time, I had a job with lots of downtime in front of a computer. Anything that updated regularly and would kill a few minutes went on the read list. I was following dozens of objectively garbage webcomics at one point before I found other things to do with my time.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Nipponophile posted:

That's definitely where I was. At the time, I had a job with lots of downtime in front of a computer. Anything that updated regularly and would kill a few minutes went on the read list. I was following dozens of objectively garbage webcomics at one point before I found other things to do with my time.
I used to read Sluggy Freelance, DD, Jack, The Wotch, Misfile, Hookie Dookie Panic and more that I can't remember because I was in high school and had the exact same moment of time to spare so big mood.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Yeah, I read Dominic Deegan as a bookmark to click when I got on the computer. I didn't even discover mock threads for it on here until long afterwards.

The official forums were funny though because they were like if we had an entire sub-forum dedicated to making GBS threads on DD and Mookie. Even they hated it!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hostile V posted:

I used to read Sluggy Freelance, DD, Jack, The Wotch, Misfile, Hookie Dookie Panic and more that I can't remember because I was in high school and had the exact same moment of time to spare so big mood.

This post inflicted psychic damage

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I still can't understand how I put up with the art for as long as I did.
Or why.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Oh my god, I remember when a friend introduced me to the wotch.

Oh my god it's still running lol. Getting in early obviously helped get an audience.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

The Wotch used to make thousands of dollars in donations each month back in the early 00s

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I just want to comment that somehow restoring Dominic's lungs to health removed his addiction to smoking.
Apparently Mookie thinks addiction is stored in the lungs. Since somehow an effect on the lungs changed explicitly the reaction his taste receptors had to the pipe AND implicitly the psychological urge to smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm enjoying the reread, not because the comic is good, but because it reminds me of when I thought the comic was good, which is also when I was younger and had less responsibilities and also the world wasn't ending.