Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Interesting twist is that the reunion special will also involve Janet Hubert, the first Aunt Viv who left the show on not so good terms. Sounds like she isn't in the main event but they did record a thing where her and Will Smith sat down and talked.

I thought she was extremely embittered and like, hated the show. Most of the episodes I saw were with her tho, so she's the Aunt Viv I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Looten Plunder posted:

Came across this trailer last night. Appears to be starting this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6VAQ6LdnKs

Has there been much of a push for this in the states? Are people expecting big things or is this one of those under the radar/niche HBO shows?

Sepinwall liked it.

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1300784359981699074

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Although it's not airing in the US until October 29th, Deutschland '89 (or Deutschland '83 - Season 3) is only a couple of weeks away from release in Germany, Austria, Japan, India and Australia (September 25th) if any Yankees likes to source their TV illegitimately.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

esperterra posted:

is this another obligatory gay chloe sevigny moment b/c i've never heard of this before now but i am here for it

e: also this looks p good

same. The music for that trailer not being the standard trailer music was very refreshing on its own lol

^^^ OH poo poo SERIOUSLY?? I thought wed have to wait for another year or two!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looten Plunder posted:

Although it's not airing in the US until October 29th, Deutschland '89 (or Deutschland '83 - Season 3) is only a couple of weeks away from release in Germany, Austria, Japan, India and Australia (September 25th) if any Yankees likes to source their TV illegitimately.

Oh poo poo. I feel like I'm literally one of five Americans that watch and love this show. It's the best companion to The Americans.

Also, speaking of The Boys, season 2 episode 4 is so hosed up. Unrelated question: has there ever been a TV show where a dude sucked his own dick?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh poo poo. I feel like I'm literally one of five Americans that watch and love this show. It's the best companion to The Americans.

Also, speaking of The Boys, season 2 episode 4 is so hosed up. Unrelated question: has there ever been a TV show where a dude sucked his own dick?

At least two different Ryan Murphy shows, IIRC. Mischa Collins in Nip/Tuck, and I think there was one other...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

Deutschland '83 was loving amazing. If you liked The Americans it hits exactly the same notes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Mischa Collins in Nip/Tuck
This just blew my mind in like 3 different ways, the least of them being that I forgot that show existed and that I watched all of it what feels like forever ago.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It's the best companion to The Americans.

Whilst I agree, it's also confuses the hell out of me to no end.

-I keep forgetting they were Russians in the Americans and they're Germans in this.
-The stuff in Africa is was confusing as hell. Were the countries they were "liberating" from Apartheid allies to the west or enemies of the west?
-I keep forgetting that East Germany and West Germany are completely different from East Berlin and West Berlin (seriously, how was West Berlin actually a thing?)
-I don't understand how the East German propaganda machine was so well oiled. How were the West seen as "fascist" when West Germany consisted of a bunch of allies that just took down the fascist Nazi's.
-I don't understand how the East Germans didn't see themselves as anything but Soviet pawns, and do something about it. The people in power in the show just sitting there, looking at how amazing the West is, how happy the people are, while they eat their stale bread and boiled cabbage and think "yeah, this ruse we're running. It's totally working and totally worth perpetuating/fighting for. Let's keep doing it for another 40 years, the Ruskies seem to know what they're doing".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Netflix put up a new show last week called Away? Hilary Swank on a Mars expedition?? Anyone check it out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_(TV_series)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

There's an episode of Workaholics where they follow a coworker around and spy on him going down on himself.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hakkesshu posted:

Netflix put up a new show last week called Away? Hilary Swank on a Mars expedition?? Anyone check it out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_(TV_series)

From what I've heard it's a bunch of Earth drama regarding the crew on the ship (like each episode is focused on some home problem for each crewmember) with the occasional backdrop of them going to Mars.

I watched the first episode and it was full of the usual non-dramatic drama crap (omg! is Hilary Swank going to be pulled from the mission? or stay behind cause her husband is sick? stay tuned and find out!) and couldn't be bothered

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's an episode of Workaholics where they follow a coworker around and spy on him going down on himself.

Ronnie from American Dad did it even earlier I think

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don’t remember much from Workaholics but it’ll be hard to ever forget that guy’s delivery of “You gotta be big though” and the ending montage of them all trying to do it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished star trek season 6 + the first ep of season 7. I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself after I finish tng. I heard most of the movies suck and the rest of the series after aren't as good

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Klowner posted:

Finished star trek season 6 + the first ep of season 7. I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself after I finish tng. I heard most of the movies suck and the rest of the series after aren't as good

watch ds9 and pretend the franchise ends there

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

The Klowner posted:

I like Generations though that opinion is not generally shared.

DS9 is loving great, though.

And The Orville is some quality methadone if you’re looking for a fix.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Klowner posted:

DS9 is the only great Trek property

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Generations is my favorite of the TNG movies, it feels like a movie-length episode which is fine by me. First Contact is pretty good too, and the rest are complete garbage trash fires.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Never forget

https://mobile.twitter.com/devtesla/status/1132101053929984000

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I keep blocking it out but none of you will let me forget

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sirotan posted:

Generations is my favorite of the TNG movies, it feels like a movie-length episode which is fine by me. First Contact is pretty good too, and the rest are complete garbage trash fires.

That's pretty much the reason I'm not sad we didn't get any DS9 movies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Didn't realize HBO was dropping two "Raised by Wolves" episodes a week and only budgeted enough time to watch one of them last night.

It still has a lot of opportunity to go off the rails, but goddamn if I'm not completely captivated.

Mainly, I don't get a feeling like there's much padding in the episodes at all and while it's not like there's a bombshell reveal constantly, the world building they are doing is fantastic.

There's a lot going on, off the top of my head what I like:

"Marcus" and "Sue's" love for Paul even though they murdered and replaced his parents.

"Marcus" and "Sue" have the #1 goal to survive and will do anything they can to that end, but ONLY what is necessary and never it veers into sadistic territory. You have a hard time feeling they are truly bad people given the situation they've had to deal with. Then, you compare that with the real family of those children looking out for their own safety rather than trying to rescue them.

Hunter is more worried about the status that his parents give them rather than worrying if they survived Mother crashing the ark.

Tempest's biggest regret about the ark crashing is not being able to face her rapist before he was put to death.

Tempest not wanting to carry her rapist's baby to term but then having a breakdown after killing a monster that turns out to pregnant.

The overtones of gender roles imposed on the androids as Father is feeling inadequate compared to Mother since he's not a WMD.

Father wanting Campion to slaughter the monster for food to harden him up after we see Paul's reaction in being presented with the pet mouse in the previous episode "Please don't make me kill it."

Mother being completely and totally terrifying while knowing she will not harm the children no matter what. You really get the feeling she would die for them if she needed to even if she stole all of them and nearly committed genocide of the human race as a result.

The main stuff I'm worried about them pulling off is the mysteries surrounding Kepler 22b. Why are the creatures only emerging now? What's down those big pits. Where did that monument in the desert come from. What's manifesting the voices. I'm just worried that those reveals are going to be shoehorned into a story which so far seems to be about what defines family and how radicalization can tear that apart.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 11, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like it because it's the kind of bonkers scifi you almost never get outside of books or comics

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That's terrible, but the part of that storyline that sticks out in my memory as even worse is that Sam Waterston's character correctly deduces that bin Laden has been killed based on nothing but a tweet by The Rock.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I love this because it is legitimately the worst thing I’ve ever seen.

I mean...the handshake...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's a good show

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

zoux posted:

Never forget
lemme try to get the taste of that out of everyone's head
warning: lengthy historical lecture imminent

Looten Plunder posted:

(seriously, how was West Berlin actually a thing?)
after the Nazis surrendered in May of '45, the Allies (meaning here the US & UK, later also France) and the SU spent a few months hashing out the details of how post-war Germany was to be governed & demilitarized. The end result was that most of the country- minus what had already been annexed by the Soviet Union and their puppet government in Poland- would be split more-or-less evenly between the 4. However, because Berlin was the national capital, and therefore the seat of virtually all government councils and archives, it was also considered the seat of the postwar occupation government and was therefore also divided up, despite being 100% within the Soviet occupation zone.

Then the antagonism between the Soviet Union and the Allies starts taking shape, so the Allies agree to consolidate the American, British, and French Zones into a singular "Western Germany", which, for organizational purposes, includes merging their various subdivisions of the capital into West Berlin. Because it's in the center of Soviet territory, West Berlin rapidly becomes a problem for the SU, because anyone trying to escape the stagnating economic situation or political oppression has a much easier time doing so through the national capital than trying to go through miles of countryside rife with military patrols. But the SU can't actually just annex W. Berlin, because it's officially foreign soil, and doing so would literally start World War 3. So in '48, Stalin opts to deny all overland access to the city through the Soviet Zone for resupply (the Berlin Blockade) in the hopes of just starving the Allies out and forcing them to abandon the city on their own volition. Instead, what happens is the Allies start providing essentials exclusively via air freight (the Berlin Airlift) until Stalin backs down and re-opens the roads and rail lines in 1949. Then both sides spend the next several years giving each other ugly looks until the Soviets build the Berlin Wall in 1961 to act as a military border and prevent further emigration from the East to the West.

Looten Plunder posted:

-I don't understand how the East German propaganda machine was so well oiled. How were the West seen as "fascist" when West Germany consisted of a bunch of allies that just took down the fascist Nazi's.
I could go into a very lengthy discussion about how post-war denazification was handled in the East VS the West, but it would probably take me multiple hours to throw together due to not wanting to get something wrong and make an rear end of myself. The short version is that, because the Nazis were, above virtually all other political stances, violently anti-communist, the East German government- being composed of, and founded by, those who had survived the anti-communist purges of the Nazi regime- was presented as therefore being the only truly, 100% anti-fascist German government. So you end up with the official party line being that fascism is the natural endpoint/conclusion of capitalism, and that therefore all the fascists of the wartime regime had all either been killed, or had fled to the decadent, capitalist West, and were naturally plotting to once again invade and subjugate the East.

Looten Plunder posted:

-I don't understand how the East Germans didn't see themselves as anything but Soviet pawns, and do something about it. The people in power in the show just sitting there, looking at how amazing the West is, how happy the people are, while they eat their stale bread and boiled cabbage and think "yeah, this ruse we're running. It's totally working and totally worth perpetuating/fighting for. Let's keep doing it for another 40 years, the Ruskies seem to know what they're doing".
you are invited to look up the Prague Spring to see what happened when the Czechoslovakian government tried to act out against Moscow's wishes. Spoiler Alert: The Soviets mounted a literal military invasion and forced the government back into line via cracked skulls And remember: the Soviets had major military presence in East Germany right up until the reunification- they wouldn't even have to worry about travel time if they got the impression that East German leadership was having Bad Thoughts.

i don't know what to tell you about the Africa stuff- I've never seen Deutschland '83, so I don't know what countries they're specifically getting involved in, nor is my knowledge of Cold War-era Africa sufficient to give even a brief shakedown of who was aligning themsevles with who. I just know that a lot of the apartheid poo poo was deeply rooted in the same racial theories and attitudes as outright Nazism, and why any mention of Rhodesia is a bigass red flag of neonazism/white supremacy poo poo.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 11, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Argus Zant posted:

you are invited to look up the Prague Spring to see what happened when the Czechoslovakian government tried to act out against Moscow's wishes. Spoiler Alert: The Soviets mounted a literal military invasion and forced the government back into line via cracked skulls And remember: the Soviets had major military presence in East Germany right up until the reunification- they wouldn't even have to worry about travel time if they got the impression that East German leadership was having Bad Thoughts.

The Stasi was also quite possibly the most brutally effective secret police ever, so if you didn’t like what was going on you basically never said or did anything about it, because it was incredibly likely they would find out. They had informants basically everywhere.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
Yeah, it should also be remembered that oppressing and subjugating the citizenry is only half the purpose of secret police organs like that- the other half is being a constant reminder to the government itself that anyone who isn't completely committed to the party line can be quietly removed at a moment's notice. Even if you had doubts about the long-term validity of what the Soviet Union was championing, you kept those thoughts to yourself, because regardless of how high up in the chain you were, saying anything within earshot of the wrong person was a great way to get unpersoned.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had an absolute prick of a day, but goddamn if Ted Lasso can’t 180 my mood in a heartbeat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just mentioning again that Ted Lasso is a delightful show. best thing on Apple TV by far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The scene in the locker room before the game in the latest episode was fantastic

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Argus Zant posted:

:words:
Thanks for the rundown

Argus Zant posted:

i don't know what to tell you about the Africa stuff- I've never seen Deutschland '83, so I don't know what countries they're specifically getting involved in, nor is my knowledge of Cold War-era Africa sufficient to give even a brief shakedown of who was aligning themsevles with who. I just know that a lot of the apartheid poo poo was deeply rooted in the same racial theories and attitudes as outright Nazism, and why any mention of Rhodesia is a bigass red flag of neonazism/white supremacy poo poo.

Let me give you an idea how bonkers it is, and why I was so confused.

Plot Point 1
An East German ex-Stasi handler and East German mole are aligned with the ANC in South Africa fighting apartheid and want to do an arms deal with the South African army (presumably the South African army are anti-apartheid???)

But in order to do this, they pose as West Germans to get the West German trade guy to sign the papers for the weapons and sell the weapons to the South African general (so they had to pose as West Germans because West Germany is also anti-apartheid????)

But then they find out the weapons will be used to blow up a power plant in Angola which is next to an orphanage where the mole character has been staying while in exile from Germany so the deal goes south and they instead try and sell the weapons to the Angolans

That deal goes south and the weapons instead get sold to Libyan terrorists, who subsequently have a plan of bombing a West German Hotel. (presumably Libya is Anti-West, but why are they interested in European terrorism????)

Plot Point 2
East Germany buys an old civilian cruise ship in order to smuggle arms to South Africa, bypassing UN sanctions. (I'm confused as to why East Germany is concerned with complying with the UN??? But maybe it less about pleasing the UN and more about stopping them being intercepted. But if the UN are anti-South Africa, that presumably means they are pro-apartheid at this stage, which makes the arms deal with the South African army in plot point one confusing.

Anyway, it's a good show, you should check it out (especially when it appears you're a fan of the time period).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Roughly speaking, what you're missing is that at this point in time South Africa was very much for apartheid, and the west was more or less aligned with the South Africa government because they were not communists. However, South Africa was also an increasingly isolated state because of apartheid and there was growing pressure on Western governments to cut ties with South Africa, which lead to things like boycotts and sanctions. Western governments liked South Africa because they weren't communists and had valuable mineral wealth, but they had to do so at arm's length because the white South Africans who ran the place were high order bastards.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

a child that cares about the welfare of the beatles in 2020 is probably going to grow up to be a serial killer

edit: or a paedophile

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 12, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Moonbase 8 trailer, new sci-fi comedy show from A24 and starring Tim Heidecker, John C. Reilly, and Fred Armisen as astronauts training for a moon mission:

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1304812459165769729

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I love, like or appreciate all these people and it's up to you to figure out which for whom. I'm cautiously optimistic

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thank goodness, Doom Patrol has been renewed.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/doom-patrol-season-3-renewal-hbo-max-1234767034/

Now we are just awaiting news on Harley Quinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

Didn't realize HBO was dropping two "Raised by Wolves" episodes a week and only budgeted enough time to watch one of them last night.

It still has a lot of opportunity to go off the rails, but goddamn if I'm not completely captivated.

Mainly, I don't get a feeling like there's much padding in the episodes at all and while it's not like there's a bombshell reveal constantly, the world building they are doing is fantastic.

There's a lot going on, off the top of my head what I like:

"Marcus" and "Sue's" love for Paul even though they murdered and replaced his parents.

"Marcus" and "Sue" have the #1 goal to survive and will do anything they can to that end, but ONLY what is necessary and never it veers into sadistic territory. You have a hard time feeling they are truly bad people given the situation they've had to deal with. Then, you compare that with the real family of those children looking out for their own safety rather than trying to rescue them.

Hunter is more worried about the status that his parents give them rather than worrying if they survived Mother crashing the ark.

Tempest's biggest regret about the ark crashing is not being able to face her rapist before he was put to death.

Tempest not wanting to carry her rapist's baby to term but then having a breakdown after killing a monster that turns out to pregnant.

The overtones of gender roles imposed on the androids as Father is feeling inadequate compared to Mother since he's not a WMD.

Father wanting Campion to slaughter the monster for food to harden him up after we see Paul's reaction in being presented with the pet mouse in the previous episode "Please don't make me kill it."

Mother being completely and totally terrifying while knowing she will not harm the children no matter what. You really get the feeling she would die for them if she needed to even if she stole all of them and nearly committed genocide of the human race as a result.

The main stuff I'm worried about them pulling off is the mysteries surrounding Kepler 22b. Why are the creatures only emerging now? What's down those big pits. Where did that monument in the desert come from. What's manifesting the voices. I'm just worried that those reveals are going to be shoehorned into a story which so far seems to be about what defines family and how radicalization can tear that apart.

Yeah I'm really digging the show. It's ambiance and world building is the best I've seen in a long time. I'm looking forward to the inevitable appearance of "extinct" giant snakes, seeings how Father found the shed skin of one when he was trying to go into the hole.