Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Marin Karin posted:

The official forums were funny though because they were like if we had an entire sub-forum dedicated to making GBS threads on DD and Mookie. Even they hated it!

This apparently happened to several other communities that used to be fans of Dominic Deegan like the Livejournal one. They all went from liking it to hating it, which makes me wonder where the people who actually unironically like Mookie's work talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heliotrope posted:

This apparently happened to several other communities that used to be fans of Dominic Deegan like the Livejournal one. They all went from liking it to hating it, which makes me wonder where the people who actually unironically like Mookie's work talk.
To my understanding, they don't. Anybody who tries actually discussing the comic in any detail starts, like, noticing all the problems.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I think Mookie's unironic fanbase begins and ends with his circle of friends who go, "Hey, you're still doing your stories? That's cool, man."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zereth posted:

To my understanding, they don't. Anybody who tries actually discussing the comic in any detail starts, like, noticing all the problems.

Do you have the URLs for any of these livejournal communities or whatnot? I don't mind using the wayback machine if its necessary. I love reading this kind of stuff and it'd be fascinating to find the shift as it played out from earnest fandom to hatedom.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I forgot how much I hated 99% of the characters.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I just want to comment that somehow restoring Dominic's lungs to health removed his addiction to smoking.
Apparently Mookie thinks addiction is stored in the lungs. Since somehow an effect on the lungs changed explicitly the reaction his taste receptors had to the pipe AND implicitly the psychological urge to smoke.

Eh, I’m willing to give it a bit of a pass if getting his lungs (and the rest of his body) fully restored ALSO means that he lost his tolerance, so every smoke now feels like the very first time (I.E. loving awful) from his perspective. Sure there’s still the psychological urge, but ehh, I’d chalk it up to smoking suddenly becoming so much more unpleasant than what he’s been used to that he can’t stand doing it again long enough to get used to it... And any time Greg comes back in contact with him, he’d be set back to square one all over again.

Granted, I also think that it’s a wasted opportunity for some incredibly basic symbolism for Dominic starting to change himself for the better by learning to let go of his worst habits, considering he still acts like a total sourpuss at the party being thrown in his honor instead of joining in on the jubilations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ague Proof posted:

What do people who haven't read the comic before think so far?

I mean... I've never liked anime aesthetics (still find it extremely grating to this day), but this is so... BADLY drawn that I cannot look at it without feeling a combination of infuriation and embarrassment that I can barely stand to read it.

I think the greatest insult that I could use against this comic is that I could draw better than this. And that is no small thing!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I like how the first romantic advice given to anyone in this comic is "gently caress being direct, get into your crush's pants by creepily hoping they'll fall in love with you if you show them how to do things"

I think it's fair to tell someone they're setting themselves up for heartbreak if you confess a crush while he's interested in someone else

But since women in this comic can only be passive objects with no confidence or self-esteem then it just feels wrong as the comic progresses

e: like, I don't think there's much inherently wrong with the idea of crushing on someone who is crushing on another person and you're trying to get them to see you as romantic potential. It's just we don't know anything about Pam or why she likes Greg, and she comes off as another Luna: depressed and frail and only existing insofar as her "worth" is based on how a Deegan sees her and her problems. If there'd been more time in Barthis where the characters are able to interact, and Pam is able to exist as an independent character, then I think the strip of her fretting about how she can convince her crush to stay might feel more earned or interesting. also once again, Mookie sucks all the tension out of character interactions by solving the problem in the same strip it's brought up

Skypie fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 11, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Skypie posted:

I think it's fair to tell someone they're setting themselves up for heartbreak if you confess a crush while he's interested in someone else

But since women in this comic can only be passive objects with no confidence or self-esteem then it just feels wrong as the comic progresses

e: like, I don't think there's much inherently wrong with the idea of crushing on someone who is crushing on another person and you're trying to get them to see you as romantic potential. It's just we don't know anything about Pam or why she likes Greg, and she comes off as another Luna: depressed and frail and only existing insofar as her "worth" is based on how a Deegan sees her and her problems. If there'd been more time in Barthis where the characters are able to interact, and Pam is able to exist as an independent character, then I think the strip of her fretting about how she can convince her crush to stay might feel more earned or interesting. also once again, Mookie sucks all the tension out of character interactions by solving the problem in the same strip it's brought up

It's this and the fact that the tension gets resolves instantly. She wants himn to stay, so he stays, doesn't even get questioned. It's just mookie mashing his action figures together saying "they're married". And also, like why. Why did greg need to be paired off immediatly, with a character who will be his only girlfriend for the entire comic. It's just instant, have a girlfriend Gregory, don't stay single too long or Mookie will be sad.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

The Little Death posted:

It's this and the fact that the tension gets resolves instantly. She wants himn to stay, so he stays, doesn't even get questioned. It's just mookie mashing his action figures together saying "they're married". And also, like why. Why did greg need to be paired off immediatly, with a character who will be his only girlfriend for the entire comic. It's just instant, have a girlfriend Gregory, don't stay single too long or Mookie will be sad.
As the essay on "Bones" so eloquently explored, it's Mookie regarding the natural state of the world as being couples. Gregory is in his good guy box, so clearly he deserves to be rewarded with a mommygirlfriend.

Skypie posted:

There isn't anything to learn about Pam because she's a woman in a Mookie comic, so does not have a one-word personality. She exists as an appendage of the man she is bound to, to show that they're a good guy because they're being rewarded with a woman. You are... not gonna like the arc that's in store for Pam next time we see her.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Do you have the URLs for any of these livejournal communities or whatnot? I don't mind using the wayback machine if its necessary. I love reading this kind of stuff and it'd be fascinating to find the shift as it played out from earnest fandom to hatedom.
I think they were deleted due to a combination of age, linkrot, and Mookie sweeping all the checkers off the table when he realized how hard he owned himself. I would also love to see links if anyone's got them lying around.

Zereth posted:

Mookie's terrible comics have turned at least 3 or 4 entirely different communities/websites who began earnestly reading them because they enjoyed them against them. It's one of my favorite things about following the creative black hole that is Mookie.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I just want to comment that somehow restoring Dominic's lungs to health removed his addiction to smoking.
Apparently Mookie thinks addiction is stored in the lungs. Since somehow an effect on the lungs changed explicitly the reaction his taste receptors had to the pipe AND implicitly the psychological urge to smoke.
I distinctly remember Dominic mentioning his smoke-blacked lungs later at the alterist, so this doesn't even stick.

Heliotrope posted:

They do not exist. Even his twitter has maybe two or three lukewarm comments on some updates from acquaintances of his, and as we saw earlier, even some of those can't stop from pointing out the obvious ways his comics suck.

What do you think is going to happen next if the skinned guy is actually dead? Snout bumps into free cupcakes minotaur again?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 11, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Little Death posted:

Yes that is a unique part of DD, since it aged with Mookie we can watch as dominic mirrors Mookie's metamorphosis through several types of insufferable nerd.

I think Dominic was originally more separated from Mookie with a deliberate character flaw (misanthropy/grumpiness) that he lost overnight and just became a total self-insert without personality.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ague Proof posted:

I think Dominic was originally more separated from Mookie with a deliberate character flaw (misanthropy/grumpiness) that he lost overnight and just became a total self-insert without personality.

This. Dominic, in theory and abstract, is actually a fun character. As is the comic's concept. I mean, there's definite Witcher vibes, even. Geralt's a grumpy old man who's constantly getting roped into adventure and stuff despite mostly just wanting to bang witches and hang out with his daughter.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Heliotrope posted:

The search results for Dominic Deegan on tumblr looks fairly substantial with an even split of people who like it and people who don't, although when you actually look up the tag the last update was 79 days ago. So it's not a community by any stretch, but there's legit fans out there still.

I feel like there's different levels of unironically liking Dominic Deegan - you have people who unironically enjoy it and think it's flawless and people who unironically enjoy it despite/because its flaws. The views of the former would be the most interesting to see, I think.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mookie's book reprints and scarves sold out pretty quickly.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah mookie hit his kickstarter goal for the reprints mad quick

good for him

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like that there's a silent fanbase out there who remember Dominic Deegan fondly and just don't care about Star Power or the Legacy, because the idea that he lost it all by sucking so much at comics is unbearably sad.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 11, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This change gets a pass, because at the time one of Mookie's relatives died from lung cancer.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Now that we are through what I would argue is the high point of the comic, with maybe only the storm of souls coming a close second for actually interesting things happening, we can get to the really great/terrible parts of DD, which are the best to saver in this thread.

Chapter 10: Ecstasy & Evil [Part 1]

This is the chapter where we start to see Mookie's Madonna/whore complex come out, and his metal/blood& gore obsessions.

Like look at this cold open. Out of nowhere, suddely in hell, greated by some sort of bad Dracula reject from Castlevania.

he is in fact Lord Karnak, the demon of Wounds, patron of the infernomance.

Can I just say that Karnak's design is, of all the anime traces Mookie has done, by far the most uninspired. Like this dude is a demon lord of hell and he looks so loving boring and dumb. He looks like he's wearing a halloween costume from one of those pop up stores!

We never find out what happens to a living soul in Hell btw. This is one of those things that Mookie puts in but fails to pay off. He probably jsut included it to explain why TIM will be able to leave hell, but others won't. But it's still a dumb line to include if we never find out what that danger is.

Dead ladies with their titties out, Oh Yeah! His demons are equally uninspired DND ripoffs.

All with the same anime face

More pointless bloodshed follows, all equally lacking in flow or a sense of momentum. Lost of dead titties though

Then this happens, which is, I still think, on of the dumbest individual panels in the comic. The posing of the demons is so stiff and awkward, he's definitely chopping up 2 demons he already killed, and it's so video-game limit break that it's painful. Just an awful conclusion to a fight.

HALLOWEEN STRIP

2 dead, 2 underwent radical change. Only Mookie stays consistent in his terribleness

Back to our regularly schedules anime hell nonsense.

Karnak comes in with the standard boss villain gamble, which TIM accepts. One wonders why he allowed all this to happen at all. I love the abrupt shift that Karnak has though, because we find out...

That due to some confusing nonsense about Karnak's gauntlets, Karnak can't do poo poo about TIM. Except the last panel implies that he can. So why is the gambit even necessary? Does TIM pose a danger/problem to Karnak or not?

Guess what! It never matters!

The biggest thing for me with these strips is I forgot quickly how up it's own rear end DD became. Karnak is going to be a major player in several of the arcs going forward, and without wanting to spoil too much, he is directly tied to Dominic's parents. Dominic goes from being a seer in a rural nowhere town to a central pillar of existence. And it starts here really.

Mookie's love of gore is also on full display. And while I'm all for equal opportunities in demon minions, I do find it gross that his female demons always die in a way that he can draw their bloody cleavage. Because we have the context of Mookie being Mookie. It's just creepy seeing it again from this perspective.

Anyway, here are some guest strips that ran after this.

Hey look! Actual jokes!

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 12, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Wow the gore fetish was really coming out strong in this chapter. Each woman gets a lovingly rendered, extended murder scene but the guys all die in two panels total.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
We see feet/shoes so rarely it never really registered before that all of the DD cast are wearing gigantic Sonic the Hedgehog shoes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jesus loving christ that last panel.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sometimes I think I'm a gross bastard, but then Mookie comes along and draws a week of women whose breasts inflate when their throats are slit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Obviously, there’s two possible fates for living people who die in hell: their soul gets cast into oblivion... Or their soul gets cast into Oblivion.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
He does gore like someone whose entire experience with it is the first Mortal Kombat game. Bodies just easily come apart into pieces at whatever breaking point you want, flesh is just paper that comes off in sheets (which he kept up from DD up until today in LoDD), and tongue sticks out of dead body's mouth. GOTTA have that loosely hanging tongue!

It always amazes me how few notifications his twitter posts of the comic get. Where are these die-hard fans actually hiding?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wait, that's the Medusa woman's tongue? I just thought she had very pronounced witch chin.

Also, I love how completely impotent Karnak is even on his first appearance.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 12, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Once more, the text says Tim is blind, but he's capable of reading the paper, so he can't actually be blind and must be able to see normally. Bearing that in mind, he doesn't actually need anything from Karnak, so why is he here?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

Once more, the text says Tim is blind, but he's capable of reading the paper, so he can't actually be blind and must be able to see normally. Bearing that in mind, he doesn't actually need anything from Karnak, so why is he here?

I think it's that Tim thinks he has to get Karnak to release him from the permawound curse, as he...somehow doesn't realize he's already free of it? And also somehow his eye wounds came back from being healed immediately before he was banished?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Little Death posted:

HALLOWEEN STRIP

If you asked me about which of these would still be doing embarrassing nonsense as a he authors pass middle age, I might have been surprised it was Mookie. Probably not though, I'd have been more surprised that others have shown some growth. (for a very loose definition of growth)

EDIT: I know I've already harped on this, but imagine showing this to someone who has no idea who Mookie is and then telling them someone in their mid 20s both drew and is proud of the art style

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 12, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

I think it's that Tim thinks he has to get Karnak to release him from the permawound curse, as he...somehow doesn't realize he's already free of it? And also somehow his eye wounds came back from being healed immediately before he was banished?

But Tim's only wound is his bleeding eyes that as you said magically came back despite Gregory having healed his wounds. Karnak taunted him for being blind but then Tim read paper in his hand. He must be able to see. He must thus know he is able to see. What the gently caress?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And then tell them the artist is still at it almost 20 years later and they've only nominally improved.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He draws fight scenes like a high schooler in 1995

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Little Death posted:

Like look at this cold open. Out of nowhere, suddely in hell, greated by some sort of bad Dracula reject from Castlevania.

he is in fact Lord Karnak, the demon of Wounds, patron of the infernomance.

With these two comics by themselves, IMO we have the bare bones of a potentially okay character. He's a demon, but he sees the desecrated corpses of his fellow demons and is saddened, almost mourning them. He has two companions at his side, who share his feelings (I'm interpreting one as clenching her fist, while the other kneels in respect for the dead or is perhaps checking for some sign of life) and follow his orders without question, or intimidation, so there's a power hierarchy they are content to follow - the opposite of chaos typically associated with demons.

This isn't a guy who sees death and destruction and thinks 'more of this please', this guy has a job to do and this time he has failed not only his fellow demons, but us too, because the only target that can possibly matter for a demon artefact is the living world above. The 'Noble Demon' is a cliche for a reason, but it's one people find compelling. He is a bad guy, but he's not a bad guy.

And then I remember this is Dominic Deegan and he only has one kind of bad guy.

(Even then, the concept of a 'Y of X' with his particular X being wounds isn't terrible - there's quite a bit of room to play around there. Perhaps surgeons consider him a guide for their scalpel as they deliberately cause wounds to save lives. Given this is a medieval society, maybe bloodletting or trepanning is practised ritually by his cultists. A little kid steals a kitchen knife to play at being a swordsman and ends up hurting themselves and never does that again. If you're attacking the guy who hurt your best friend, gently caress yeah you want every hit to hurt as much as possible - but on the flipside, his own best friend's attacks hurt just as much too, because she wants to protect him from you and your friend started the fight. They're all part of his domain, whether people realise it or not.

Speaking of surgeons, wounds and healing are inextricably linked. So, while the knowledge of him is kept underground because the populace at large fears and distrusts demons, the greater your skill as a healer the closer you come to understanding that this wretched demon and the kinder divine being you've been praying to this whole time for healing are coworkers with a silly rivalry rather than dire enemies.)

that was way too many words, i have become the deegan

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I could maybe see some kind of argument like “he can technically still see, but the constant blood and pain from his eye stigmata makes it really difficult unless he makes a serious effort to concentrate on it”, but even then, that doesn’t really jive with Karnak flip-flopping on whether he’s still in control of TIM or not.

...And I just realized that there’s now two villains with hosed-up eyes whose names were abbreviated to TIM (the Illusive Man from Mass Effect).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's in braille.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

I could maybe see some kind of argument like “he can technically still see, but the constant blood and pain from his eye stigmata makes it really difficult unless he makes a serious effort to concentrate on it”, but even then, that doesn’t really jive with Karnak flip-flopping on whether he’s still in control of TIM or not.
Sure, but that's never in the comic.

Ague Proof posted:

It's in braille.
Braille, like sign language, does not exist in deeganland. even if it did, he couldn't read it with gauntlets on.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mookie knows what that paper of a thousand random squiggles says (hint: it's one name), therefore TIM does too.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Honestly I'm willing to accept that TIM can magic-see and still wants to get rid of his permanent gaping eye wounds. That seems like the wrong thing to focus on in this.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I don't have a problem with Tim having darkvision or whatever either. Mookie pretending he's blind or having other characters acting like he's blind half the time annoys me. Obviously all the dead woman fetish poo poo is much more egregious and terrible, but that's all old news, and The Little Death covered it so well I didn't feel there was much substantive or interesting information for me to add

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I agree with Invisible Clergy. It's not whether seeing without eyes is a thing or not, it's the framing and information we are provided. We never understand what exactly the Faustian bargain that the infernomancer made was. Like IC said, Karnak taunts him with being blind. But then mookie has him read a parchment. Just like that confusing paragraph about whether or not Karnak has any power over TIM, the framing Mookie gives undercuts whatever meaning there would be to TIM suffering for his bargain with a demon. If he can see, don't taunt him with being blind! That's the Demon who cursed him, he should know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I still can't get over how terrible Karnak's design is.
Like it's terrible but not even in the way you'd kind of expect from Mookie, especially given the other folks in Hell. It's not particularly edgy or metal. Like ask yourself what a horny 13 year old metal-head would draw when asked to draw a Demon Lord - even if you gave them the restriction it must be a relatively simplistic and humanoid design. Odds are it isn't Karnak you're imagining.
Hell, the fetish fuel Demon babes that exist solely to die for Mookie's boner are more interesting designs.