Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the first movie looked at the human/replicant stuff way more artfully, which is why the rehash of that same question was so boneheaded the second time around. Turns out those memories of ships burning off the tannhauser gate were just pre-renders, roy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Schremp Howard posted:

Weirdly I feel like doing reverts is the one time I don’t like the triggers of the dual shock 4 and prefer the shoulder buttons from the PS2. Having it as a solid button felt better I think. But other than that I have no complaints. I still play two/three/thug pretty regularly and can run through them like nothing, but there’s enough of a learning curve (or maybe the stat adjustments?) that I can’t just immediately dominate the remake. It’s fantastic.

Subtitle chat: I love it for watching stuff at night when I don’t want to make too much noise. In games I turn them on, but some games handle them better than others. The worst offender is the Last of Us, which thought it was a good idea to give me every piece of dialogue form NPCs as I walked by, even as scripted conversations were happening with Joel.

If you want to see what having max stats is like, in the online multiplayer your stats are maxed out if they aren’t already. Unless I misunderstood what hours meant by ‘Stat adjustments’, but I assumed you were wondering if the learning curve or not having max stats was the reason you weren’t dominating already.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bladerunner felt like a visual or cinematic poem, if that makes sense. That didn’t carry over to 2049 for me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thanks for the Tony Hawk help y'all!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rinkles posted:

Bladerunner felt like a visual or cinematic poem, if that makes sense. That didn’t carry over to 2049 for me.

If BR was a poem about the tension of being a cat lying in wait for prey, 2049 is a 6 year old missing the point and asking when this dumb book gets to the action.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FAUXTON posted:

If BR was a poem about the tension of being a cat lying in wait for prey, 2049 is a 6 year old missing the point and asking when this dumb book gets to the action.

lmao this is just nonsense

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Tell me, Will; are you the poet, or the book?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The scene in 2049 where he cuts that woman open just to watch her die...I've never known why it needed to be there so badly, but it makes me think twice about watching the movie again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arist posted:

lmao this is just nonsense

at least it's visually alluring nonsense, it deserves credit for the visuals.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

FAUXTON posted:

it's blade runner fanfiction, plotwise. In the first movie, Deckard running off with Rachel was basically a "happily ever after" thing, not some unresolved mystery. The question of Deckard being replicant was supposed to be unanswered as an artistic device.

Nah, it's a sequel to Bladerunner: The Final Cut, which was the original director Ridley Scott doing what he wanted to do with the movie without the studio interference and inferior special effects that marred the original film. It's not actually a sequel to the original inferior cinematic release. It's really worth seeing. It also really cleaned up the lighting on the home version which alone makes the original movie far more watchable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FAUXTON posted:

the first movie looked at the human/replicant stuff way more artfully, which is why the rehash of that same question was so boneheaded the second time around. Turns out those memories of ships burning off the tannhauser gate were just pre-renders, roy!

I don't get the impression that you understood this film, or even the original for that matter

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

The scene in 2049 where he cuts that woman open just to watch her die...I've never known why it needed to be there so badly, but it makes me think twice about watching the movie again.

You...don't? :psyduck:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat y’all REALLY gonna make me watch a whole Bladerunner just so I can see who is dumb and who is smart and who is Beanpole

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should probably get around to watching br2049

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first movie is legitimately one of the best films ever made. Just perfect in its storytelling and hugely influential to everything that came after. If you're planning to play CP2077 then you might as well see what kicked off the entire genre.

And most importantly, it's under 2 hours long! Editing people, it's good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bautista's was my favorite character

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I mean, I do understand in some ways but not others. It's just so incredibly gross and disturbing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I feel that every Hollywood director who makes a movie over the universally accepted human cinematic attention span of Exactly Two Hours should be forced to begin their film discussing why they are so great, so cool, so interesting that they are not beholden to good editing and should insist on wasting your time instead of getting on with it!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't get the impression that you understood this film, or even the original for that matter

If "understanding" is thinking there's artful mastery in spending the bulk of the movie watching ryan gosling go full qanon over his own fake backstory then I'm fuckin' dying to hear your interpretation

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Rinkles posted:

Bautista's was my favorite character

Bautista being actually a good actor is kinda impressive seeing as how every other WWE actor turned out to be

He’s also in Dune

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was underwhelmed by Blade Runner (the orig) until I saw it in a theatre. I mean obviously most movies are a better experience that way, but it makes a huge difference for that particular one.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jared Leto is the worst part of that movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I feel that every Hollywood director who makes a movie over the universally accepted human cinematic attention span of Exactly Two Hours should be forced to begin their film discussing why they are so great, so cool, so interesting that they are not beholden to good editing and should insist on wasting your time instead of getting on with it!

Just @ Scorsese next time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lunar detritus posted:

he's like inverse sean bean, every movie he's in dies

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The worst part of BR2049 is that it's 90 minutes of story stretched across 165, a problem which is efficiently solved by removing Jared Leto.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

drat y’all REALLY gonna make me watch a whole Bladerunner just so I can see who is dumb and who is smart and who is Beanpole

i'm beanpole

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

if you didn't go into the movie knowing K was a replicant based solely on the fact that they cast ryan gosling for him then lmao

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The first movie is legitimately one of the best films ever made. Just perfect in its storytelling and hugely influential to everything that came after. If you're planning to play CP2077 then you might as well see what kicked off the entire genre.

And most importantly, it's under 2 hours long! Editing people, it's good.

the final cut specifically is the one worth watching

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Just @ Scorsese next time

I went to wikipedia just now and even Gangs of New York, the kind of sweeping historical epic that I associate with the more indulgent side of Scorsese, is 167 minutes long. Meanwhile loving Avengers Endgame is over 3 hours. lmao comic book movies are trash.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FAUXTON posted:

if you didn't go into the movie knowing K was a replicant based solely on the fact that they cast ryan gosling for him then lmao

what the gently caress are you on about

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

BitBasher posted:

Nah, it's a sequel to Bladerunner: The Final Cut, which was the original director Ridley Scott doing what he wanted to do with the movie without the studio interference and inferior special effects that marred the original film. It's not actually a sequel to the original inferior cinematic release. It's really worth seeing. It also really cleaned up the lighting on the home version which alone makes the original movie far more watchable.

I dont think any fans of the original film are arguing that point on behalf of the awful theatrical cut :laffo:

I do agree all the ties to the original feel weirdly fan fictiony, like retconning Rachel from being 'just' an android who is nevertheless capable of love into literally The Robot Virgin Mary feels really hackneyed, and it's made worse by the fact that you can almost feel how much the director enjoys K's personal problems before sighing and filming the scene of blind Jared Leto rambling about whether Deckard is a replicant or not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have seen every single Marvel movie except for endgame and honestly only remember the Spider-Mans and Ragnarok. I sort of remember Iron Man but that movie came out twelve years ago.

Oh I guess I remember Black Panther but only for the CGI rhinos and how insanely mad I was that they put in a white CIA agent as one of the good guys, I couldn’t loving believe it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah that's basically a huge problem with BR2049, the whole arc of the first film was Deckard coming to realize how unimportant EVERYTHING was and so rewriting him into one half of the Replicant Messiah was, *rolling hands motion* missing the point.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

there was a time (still is a time??) where the theatrical cut of Blade Runner was the only one that was streaming in Australia. what the gently caress lead them to that decision.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'd watch a trashy remake of the theatrical cut, or something in that style, if it was built that way from the ground up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

That part was intended for David Bowie but he was unavailable for obvious reasons. :(

BitBasher posted:

The only shot I disagreed with was the go-go dancers in the hockey masks, the lighting on that is still whack.

If you want to go nuts on Blade Runner read Future Noir, the author was on set covering the production for a magazine and got insane access to everything while there, and has gone on to basically make a career of knowing more about Blade Runner than anyone else in history.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 11, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I watched the theatrical cut of Blade Runner for the first time after like a decade of watching the director's cut and that voiceover was loving hilarious. It was like watching the RiffTrax version of the movie.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it's real bad

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I watched the theatrical cut of Blade Runner for the first time after like a decade of watching the director's cut and that voiceover was loving hilarious. It was like watching the RiffTrax version of the movie.

It’s dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know if its apocrypha but they say Ford was so vehemently against the bad narration he did it as badly as possible but they still used it