Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fame Douglas posted:

And the engine comes at the cost of reducing Mozilla's market share.

The ordinary person doesn't give a poo poo about the browser engine.

Google ate the market by putting popups on the #1 and #2 most visited websites in the world saying "switch to chrome!" and showing everyone that popup forever, every day of their life, until they switched to chrome. And then to get the holdouts they started loving with other browsers.

Agreed tho that firefox's existence has very little ability to change what google does with the internet. However, I do think the fact that firefox is hanging around is the main thing that has stopped google from implementing the change that will cripple adblocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If Microsoft doesn't have the resources to implement a browser around Chrome renderer then I don't think Firefox can.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

~Coxy posted:

If Microsoft doesn't have the resources to implement a browser around Chrome renderer then I don't think Firefox can.

They have the resources, but not the organizational ability.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Edge is just that a customized chrome

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MikusR posted:

Ignore me, I'm a moron.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 11, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

That's not quite true, given the (supposedly capabilities-based) sandboxing Microsoft has implemented.

FreeBSD people are also working on capabilities-based sandboxing for Firefox.
Robert Watson did the same for Chromium, despite the fact that Google didn't take the work and decided to implement their own poorer version).

You can read more about capability-based security here.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I have history turned off so only bookmarks show up when I type into the URL bar. That said, I've noticed this weird phenomenon, where the order of the bookmarks changes. I get used to typing "wea" and the weather is at the top of the list. Then later, my target weather bookmark when typing "wea" appears somewhere in the middle of the list. I have no idea what is causing the bookmarks to reorder. It didn't use to happen, then one day, it began.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

grillster posted:

I have history turned off so only bookmarks show up when I type into the URL bar. That said, I've noticed this weird phenomenon, where the order of the bookmarks changes. I get used to typing "wea" and the weather is at the top of the list. Then later, my target weather bookmark when typing "wea" appears somewhere in the middle of the list. I have no idea what is causing the bookmarks to reorder. It didn't use to happen, then one day, it began.

Just a guess, but perhaps the indexing changed when you added another bookmark.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You can also give your bookmark a keyword, so that hitting "wea" and then ENTER just gets you your weather page, no matter what.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Lightningproof posted:

Tab queue isn't in Fenix right now afaict and I'm not sure if they have plans to put it back in. Sucks because that's really the only missing feature from Fennec that I used regularly.
Is there another option that has this feature, and decent ad blocking? The lack of tab queuing is super annoying.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

dougdrums posted:

Is there another option that has this feature, and decent ad blocking? The lack of tab queuing is super annoying.

I blocked the upgrade solely because of the lack of tab queues. If you didn't, you can find Fennec APKs on F-Droid.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
There's no point stressing over the inevitable. The world is not going back to how things were. The old Internet was created by geeks for geeks. The new 'modern' Internet is created by sales people for idiots. You and I are not part of that equation. We're an outlier, an anomaly. People who seek logic and efficiency don't have a place in the modern Internet. You can either accept it - and rant occasionally just to feel good - or move away from it, like going somewhere warm and quiet like Curacao.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^^ Sadly, true. Modern browsers are like modern cars. No dipstick to check the oil, no spare tyre, and those stupid panels under the bonnet to prevent you from even seeing the engine. Wouldn't want anything to get in the way of the intended driver experience.

This latest update has gently hosed up a bunch of stuff for me - mainly that pages aren't displaying right. They'll load, but won't display until I scroll up and down a little, then suddenly appear. And everything feels just that much slower.

It's also the first update in a while to break multirow tabs. But that's always a chance, so I'll just wait for the fix to appear on github.

Serves me right, really, for not waiting a couple weeks like I usually do before updating.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^^ Sadly, true. Modern browsers are like modern cars. No dipstick to check the oil, no spare tyre, and those stupid panels under the bonnet to prevent you from even seeing the engine. Wouldn't want anything to get in the way of the intended driver experience.

This latest update has gently hosed up a bunch of stuff for me - mainly that pages aren't displaying right. They'll load, but won't display until I scroll up and down a little, then suddenly appear. And everything feels just that much slower.

It's also the first update in a while to break multirow tabs. But that's always a chance, so I'll just wait for the fix to appear on github.

Serves me right, really, for not waiting a couple weeks like I usually do before updating.

That's hardware acceleration going fucky and might be your drivers.

It's a bug that's recurred so long it's on the 10th reunion tour.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On the one hand I'm annoyed the new hardware media key controls can only be disabled through about:config, on the other hand in glad they even bothered to put in the option at all, given their track record of late.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
having an existential crisis over a web browser itt

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

endlessmonotony posted:

That's hardware acceleration going fucky and might be your drivers.

My drivers are up to date, so it looks like I'll just have to wait until the next time Nvidia throws out an update.

It only seems to be happening on this site, so I'm not going to try and bother with rolling back my drivers or anything.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Apparently one of the updates at some point disabled webrender for people with high refresh rate displays (I didn't manually enable it in about :config), and I didn't notice until now. I just force-enabled it.

Megillah Gorilla, if you also have a high refresh rate display it might be worth checking if the same happened to you. Or maybe disabling it would help, if you have it enabled. about :support will tell you which you're using in the Graphics table -> Features -> Compositing (will say WebRender if it's enabled)

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I have encountered two image uploaders that submit a corrupt image and provide a corrupt thumbnail. Godaddy's Contact Us page chat and another one that is proprietary. The result is a corrupt, basic colored/patterned image no matter the format used for the upload.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Condolences.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

astral posted:

Apparently one of the updates at some point disabled webrender for people with high refresh rate displays (I didn't manually enable it in about :config), and I didn't notice until now. I just force-enabled it.

Megillah Gorilla, if you also have a high refresh rate display it might be worth checking if the same happened to you. Or maybe disabling it would help, if you have it enabled. about :support will tell you which you're using in the Graphics table -> Features -> Compositing

I decided to check my situation out, since I'm on a 144 Hz display, even though I don't have any issues.

Compositing says "Direct3D 11 (Advanced Layers)", while towards the bottom WEBRENDER_QUALIFIED says "available by default; blocked by env: Monitor refresh rate too high", so I really don't know if it's on or not?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Megillah Gorilla, if you also have a high refresh rate display it might be worth checking if the same happened to you. Or maybe disabling it would help, if you have it enabled. about :support will tell you which you're using in the Graphics table -> Features -> Compositing

Thanks for the tip.

<SNIP>

EDIT: So, I installed new drivers - no change.

Then I tried restarting Firefox in safe mode - all threads loaded with no issue.

EDIT 2: Now I'm playing the fun game of turning on/ff everything and reloading a bunch of pages. It seems it's not just the one extension like I thought, it's two or more not playing nicely together.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 28, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Geemer posted:

I decided to check my situation out, since I'm on a 144 Hz display, even though I don't have any issues.

Compositing says "Direct3D 11 (Advanced Layers)", while towards the bottom WEBRENDER_QUALIFIED says "available by default; blocked by env: Monitor refresh rate too high", so I really don't know if it's on or not?

That's the same thing that happened to me - if Compositing doesn't say WebRender, it's disabled. I'll edit my previous post to be more clear about what that field would say.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The problem is only happening on SA, so I restarted and looked at the only extension which covers it - the SA Last Read extension.

If I open new threads I've never read before from the front page of a subforum, they all load okay. If I load a bunch of threads from my control panel, then they start to get fucky and not display until I scroll up/down the page.

So, now I just have to go through all the options in SA:LR to find which one is causing it.

But it's certainly progress.

Well the bad news is that I'm having the same issue, and I don't use SALR at all...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I think the only solution is to wait for the next release of Firefox and see if that fixes it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I had this issue too. It was especially bad on SA and Gmail. It ended up being the extension dark reader loving things up, even though I had it set to off for SA. Disabling that fixed it right away. Considering safe mode fixed it if check all your extensions

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

dougdrums posted:

having an existential crisis over a web browser itt

It's kind of like when amazon or walmart takes over - you lose something when there is only one real alternative, even if it works well enough.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, wouldn't want to lose the worst rendering engine on the market, what a terrible outcome that would be!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
So, #2?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's still no other browser that has a nice working tree-style tab addon that works like the one for Firefox works, right?

Chrome has a version that's more of a lovely sidebar that looks real ugly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, I found out what was making all the SA threads go fucky and not load properly.

Download Manager (S3)

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I've checked this on multiple reloads of both Firefox and Windows now with turning it on and off and it's definitely the culprit. Of all the extensions I'm running, I would have ranked Download bloody Manager as the least likely to be causing page load issues.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

bewilderment posted:

There's still no other browser that has a nice working tree-style tab addon that works like the one for Firefox works, right?

Chrome has a version that's more of a lovely sidebar that looks real ugly.

Vivaldi has built-in vertical tabs.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NihilCredo posted:

Vivaldi has built-in vertical tabs.

And I've just found out it has a functioning Tree-style tab extension. It's a little ugly looking in terms of font and layout but it's fully functional.

So it's nice I have that for now if Firefox ever gets completely tossed out.

Here's a side by side for those curious.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there tree tab but like, just icons on the side? And then it can reveal it's text if you mouse over? I tried it a while but thought that even in its smallest size it took up too much space for my liking?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, I found out what was making all the SA threads go fucky and not load properly.

Download Manager (S3)

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I've checked this on multiple reloads of both Firefox and Windows now with turning it on and off and it's definitely the culprit. Of all the extensions I'm running, I would have ranked Download bloody Manager as the least likely to be causing page load issues.

Well I'll be damned. This was it for me too, thanks! Bizarre...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It sure makes you wonder why an addon by Oleksandr to simply "View and manage downloads from a tidy status bar" fucks with your web pages.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Nothing good I'm sure. But I've noticed image heavy pages are now loading a LOT faster.

I know a lot of goons started using it when Firefox made their big change and a tonne of extensions stopped working. It was the consensus best candidate in several threads to replace the original Download Manager. So I wonder how many are having this issue now and simply haven't made their way here.

EDIT: I've just a quick bit of googling on this Oleksander and, welp. Turns out he'd stuck in spyware into the same bloody extension a few years ago and Firefox had forced him to remove it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 30, 2020

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It still has a little gold "Recommended" trophy on the add-on site.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

bewilderment posted:

And I've just found out it has a functioning Tree-style tab extension. It's a little ugly looking in terms of font and layout but it's fully functional.

Could you link this, please? I'm having a hard time finding it anything that looks functional or non-abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, wouldn't want to lose the worst rendering engine on the market, what a terrible outcome that would be!

In a contest with two entrants that doesn't really say much.