Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

arisu posted:

Costco also sells perfectly fine whole peppercorns, get a grinder and do that, much better pepper!

Those are the way to go; however, the grinder really sucks and takes forever to produce an appreciable amount of pepper. Never buy pre-ground pepper. and yes, this is a hill i'm going to die on

e: the grinder that comes with the costco peppercorns that is. i need to get a better one, broke my old one.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Xaris posted:

Those are the way to go; however, the grinder really sucks and takes forever to produce an appreciable amount of pepper. Never buy pre-ground pepper. and yes, this is a hill i'm going to die on

Think lots of people will be on this hill with you.

Pre-ground salt, sure fine. Pepper though? Cmoooonnn

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing people with salt grinders is a great way to find out if the people your eating with have double digits iq.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

The holy trinity

Overcooked a bit but was still drat tasty.

I'm particular to the Alton Brown technique for steaks in cast iron. Put the skillet in the oven, heat to 500F, when hot take it out and put it on the highest setting burner, drop in the steak and cook 3-5 min. Flip, place the skillet back in the oven 3-5 min, done.

The prime steaks, the 1 in thick ones, come out evenly cooked to a perfect medium rare in about 10 mins. Thinner cuts probably only need 1-2 minutes a side.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Xaris posted:

e: the grinder that comes with the costco peppercorns that is. i need to get a better one, broke my old one.

I agree with the costco disposable grinder sucking, but they also sell whole peppercorns without the grinder. I just fill my own, tastes great.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Tried to buy from costco online for the first time today, spent two hours today on customer service trying to check out. Had some shelves in my cart that threw an error whenever I tried to check out, and also couldn't be removed from the cart

Turned out I bought my membership in the middle of them upping the price by $50, which generated a new inventory sku which was still linked to the previous one, so the shelves both existed and didn't exist. And the tech people also said their records said had been at the new price for months (despite google cache showing it at that price yesterday), and wouldn't honor the price I was trying to check out with before their system broke.

is all the costco online poo poo that poorly run? Because I feel really screwed over, and if most of the membership benefit is in the physical box locations I'll just see if I can refund/cancel it.

New thread title: Everything Costco online sucks.

Its really bad and its even worse that their wait times to get to customer service (phone only, no email, no chat) is consistently 60 minutes+. When people were panic shopping in March/April their site would decide if it wanted to work at all. For being such a nice experience in their physical locations its obvious they have a skeleton crew of dumb dumbs in charge of their online presence.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I’d prefer that Costco not spend a huge amount of money on their website so that the prices on their retail goods can be lower.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
As someone who worked on the support side of Ecommerce at Costco...no comment
I will say they are moving in the right direction.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Meydey posted:

As someone who worked on the support side of Ecommerce at Costco...no comment
I will say they are moving in the right direction.

I can understand the desire to not commit career suicide but I doubt anyone is going to track you down on somethingawful.com. :justpost: and go hog wild!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’ve had great success with Costco.com and their customer service although yeah it’s been 6 months of needing to hire more CSRs.

I still think the chat option is the best and they’ve always been willing to credit me when stuff goes wrong. Not sure if they act different if you’re a neophyte.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

schreibs posted:

I can understand the desire to not commit career suicide but I doubt anyone is going to track you down on somethingawful.com. :justpost: and go hog wild!

There are a few coworkers here. I know them and they know me.
I will say that the priorities are better understood now. When I was doing Ecom 3 years ago growth happened faster than management could keep up. Costco has never been known as the fore front of tech.
What will help massively is the Innovel acquisition. That will bring most if not all delivery and install in house. Also, once they bring the Oklahoma office online, that will be dedicated purely for Ecom support.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I imagine that online was a pretty small portion of their business before the pandemic. I know I never had anything delivered ever before March, but because I unfortunately live in Iowa it's just flat out unsafe to go in.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I may amend my Costco.com accolades since I just got an email from SafeRacks as a “thanks for ordering from Costco.com” so they are apparently starting to share my email directly with their partner companies.

It didn’t come through a Costco relay at all, straight from SafeRacks with the usual “unsubscribe” options. Very unblessed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Xaris posted:

I agreed until the day I made a Brisket with just a salt and pepper rub and needed like a quarter cup of pepper.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Ive started using medium heat in a nonstick pan + meat thermometer for my steaks. You don't get a crunchy sear but I think its a great way to get a nice red center and have more time to baste the steak with butter and kirkland minced garlic.

When I have a place where I can rock a charcoal grill trust me, its gonna happen.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Hed posted:

Also I may amend my Costco.com accolades since I just got an email from SafeRacks as a “thanks for ordering from Costco.com” so they are apparently starting to share my email directly with their partner companies.

It didn’t come through a Costco relay at all, straight from SafeRacks with the usual “unsubscribe” options. Very unblessed.

A fair amount of the Costco.com stuff is drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer on account of being enormous, and I would assume anything called "SafeRacks" falls into that category.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Thats an industry wide process. Much easier to have the manufacturer ship to home than have middle men warehouse it. Costco likes to clear the floor in the main Distribution Centers each night and large stuff makes that difficult. The Innovel DCs will be more dropship bigger stuff.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

A fair amount of the Costco.com stuff is drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer on account of being enormous, and I would assume anything called "SafeRacks" falls into that category.

I can confirm that the SafeRacks stuff I bought off of Costco.com shipped directly from the factory.

I will also say that they are amazing racks and will hold a lot of stuff, but are a pain in the rear end to install.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I don’t care about safety or ease, it’s always HugeRacks for me. Love ‘em

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I mean sure it’s drop shipped from not-Costco but that doesn’t mean they need to share my account information. It’s definitely not a good thing.

Even false idol Amazon ensures you delete their customers’ PII after 30 days, so this sort of thing wouldn’t be possible. instead you’ll get invitations to review the product

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

Ive started using medium heat in a nonstick pan + meat thermometer for my steaks. You don't get a crunchy sear but I think its a great way to get a nice red center and have more time to baste the steak with butter and kirkland minced garlic.

wtf is this poo poo?

Slowly cooking in a non-stick pan? That's blasphemy. I can only go screaming hot cast iron or a gas grill which is 90% of the time.

I always use a probe thermometer now though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

wtf is this poo poo?

Slowly cooking in a non-stick pan? That's blasphemy. I can only go screaming hot cast iron or a gas grill which is 90% of the time.

I always use a probe thermometer now though.

I only use a probe for chicken and pork cause you don’t wanna gently caress with those two.

Don’t need no probe!

Re: Costco online I’ve never had any issues ordering clothes and stuff. It always shows up super quick. I know it’s a huge ymmv but I’ve had noting but a good experience.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

wtf is this poo poo?

its a method to cook steak without overcooking it

sous vide is another way that i do sometimes if i wanna effort. then finish with a sear.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

its a method to cook steak without overcooking it

sous vide is another way that i do sometimes if i wanna effort. then finish with a sear.

I lost some respect for you.

Such a shame.

sous vide is cool, gotta get that sear though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

I only use a probe for chicken and pork cause you don’t wanna gently caress with those two.

Don’t need no probe!

Re: Costco online I’ve never had any issues ordering clothes and stuff. It always shows up super quick. I know it’s a huge ymmv but I’ve had noting but a good experience.

I made this NY strip on my grill on labor day.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You can air fry steaks boys. I’ve done it. And was glad of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I made this NY strip on my grill on labor day.

Amazing!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Not amazing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

shadow puppet of a posted:

I've actually tried that twice before. It doesn't come out very good imo. It cooks too much of the outside while leaving the inside pretty rare at the same time. I won't be trying it again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is a conversation for another thread but I do not think poaching steak is acceptable or good.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Not a fan of milk steak?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In general I agree that using freshly ground pepper is superior, but when it's sausage making season I love that thick grind kirkland stuff, but usually because I use like 1/2 a cup at a time, and the full black peppercorn flakes have great flavor.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

This is a conversation for another thread but I do not think poaching steak is acceptable or good.

A friend of mine is kind of a dutch oven superstar. He catered a wedding a while back where he poached ribs in cream (an old family recipe) in like 15 dutch ovens, stacked one atop the other with coals on the lids. He made the same thing (using only one dutch oven) for us once, and the ribs were good, but not like life-changing or anything. I think the recipe/tradition comes from like chuck wagon days, where you might have had plenty of time, meat and milk, but maybe not so much in the spice department.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Air fried pork chops are pretty great too

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Costco Carl

Carl stood patiently at the entrance to The Costco as the sun set, waiting to greet any members to the warehouse. Of course, it had been quite some time since he had the pleasure of doing so. The Final War and the subsequent death fog had put a damper on foot traffic, yet Carl’s belief in his employer’s brand was unshakeable. Like some others, the Kirkland Signature Reinforced Bunker had saved his life, and Carl was not one to be ungrateful.

“Ah, the discounts, the selection!”, Carl quietly whispered to himself with a grin. Surely this month would be the one to draw all the members back to the warehouse. He had made sure to emphasize the steep savings on all the seasonal items during his radio broadcast ads. Carl had always been a meticulous warehouse employee, even in his early associate days. His colleagues had mocked his dedication to the work. Carl remembered the false courtesies and politeness when he mentioned that he had officially added “Costco” in front of his first name, Carlos. Things did not improve when he shortened Carlos to Carl, or when he subsequently dropped Carl altogether and the other associates refused to call him by his legal name of “Costco”. They told him he was a fool for stocking shelves and tidying the warehouse while the nations of the world destroyed each other. He noted that many of those same employees had chosen to purchase more expensive brands, rather than the Kirkland Signature Certified Death Fog Filtered Mask. Obviously they had chosen poorly. Carl now worked alone in the warehouse, but this fact he did not mind. He had devised ways to manufacture Kirkland products when the supply chains had broken down. The members would appreciate these once loved products. Customer service was incredibly important at Costco, for without customers, Costco was nothing.

At first, Carl thought that he was imagining the figure in the parking lot. The fog did like to play tricks on the mind, especially at night. But the outline of the approaching figure quickly became clearer as they ran towards Carl through the vast and empty parking lot. Carl waved and immediately ushered him indoors into the inviting glow of the warehouse.

“May I see your Costco Card, please”, Carl asked.

The figure presented the white piece of plastic and removed their mask, revealing the face of a middle aged man. To Carl’s displeasure, the man’s face did not match the membership photo.

Noticing the reaction, the man hastily said “It belongs… belonged... to my father. Please, my family just needs a few basic supplies.”

Carl paused for a moment in deliberation, before deciding to allow the man to shop, figuring that there was no way that he would turn down the membership fee at the register after filling up a cart full of items. And hell, someone needed to eat all the samples that he had prepared at the ends of the aisles.

As expected, the man was in awe of the warehouse. Carl walked with him to the exact location of each requested item. This was true customer service. On several occasions, as the pair was quickly walking down an aisle, the man would suddenly stop, dumbstruck at the low price of the menswear or some bag of chips before greedily throwing the item into his cart.

The man had stopped at one point with a disappointed look on his face to ask, “I heard a rumor that you might sell meat? I haven’t seen any though…”

Carl knew this was a stupid question, everyone knew that the refrigerated meat section was always at the back of every warehouse. But it wouldn’t do to insult the man. Customer service, Carl reminded himself. “Of course, sir. We also have plenty of whole roasted chickens left.” Carl allowed himself some pleasure in seeing the man’s reaction as he showed these to him.

In the end, the man had to use two carts and Carl helped push one of them to the check out register. Carl began ringing up the items, embracing the building excitement with his body. This was the moment he truly lived for. When the member would see the total cost of their trip, and would see just how huge their savings were. Carl finally handed the man a long receipt. The man received it gingerly, and began to tremble with joy upon seeing the final total.

“Oh, I almost forgot sir. Would you like anything from the food court?”, asked Carl.
The man’s eyes widened as they fell upon the sign that displayed the ¼ plus all beef hot dog and soda (with refill).
“You have BEEF? But… there are no more cows…how...?”
Carl’s eyes lit up at the mention of Costco’s most famed item. “Oh yes, of course. Still only a dollar fifty after all these years. In fact, I will prepare one for you myself right now.”
The man said nothing in response, and simply dropped to his knees and wept as Carl rushed into the food preparation area.

As Carl lowered his naked body into the large hopper that fed his custom made 100% all beef hot dog maker, he prayed that corporate would forgive him for the lie that he was about to feed to the member. He knew they would eventually look past this one transgression. Was literally satisfying a member’s need not the ultimate form of customer service? And if anything, Carl was indeed an exemplary associate.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Brother, what a tale you weave

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm really liking this Spyder 1/4 zip "jacket" (it's a sweatshirt). I think it was $30-40.

Mine is like an olive drab with a black technical fabric along the bottom of the arms/sides. I really like earthy colors.

edit: holy poo poo I just checked out Spyder's website and their sweaters START at $229. Their jackets are around $400-500.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 11, 2020

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

I'm really liking this Spyder 1/4 zip "jacket" (it's a sweatshirt). I think it was $30-40.

Mine is like an olive drab with a black technical fabric along the bottom of the arms/sides. I really like earthy colors.

edit: holy poo poo I just checked out Spyder's website and their sweaters START at $229. Their jackets are around $400-500.

I prefer the full zip jacket for $49. Wait till next spring when they go .97 and end up around $20. I have 4 total.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Meydey posted:

I prefer the full zip jacket for $49. Wait till next spring when they go .97 and end up around $20. I have 4 total.

:hfive:

Those were the only ones I saw at my Costco at the time. I'm using it as an indoor sweater. Never heard of Spyder before.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lol at not knowing the fabled spyder brand, the Gucci of non-polarized bad for your eyes gas station sunglasses. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Now that Gordman's is dead, I'll have to shop at CostCo for my clothing.