Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

Gamestop will be offering financing for new consoles now also

Is it free after they go under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is it free after they go under?

Don't worry, they will sell your debt to someone else before the lights go off.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
It’s cool they are re-releasing Scott Pilgrim but kind of lovely they don’t add it to BC on Xbox. Doesn’t appear to be a remaster or anything.

That was one of few games I always wished was compatible (but understood why it wasn’t). Now that the licensing must be sorted, it’s kind of lame to double-dip.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It sucks, but just because you get the license to be able to release Scott pilgrim again doesn’t mean you get the license to re-list the old one.

I mean not that they would WANT to but I doubt they even could if they did.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Gutcruncher posted:

It sucks, but just because you get the license to be able to release Scott pilgrim again doesn’t mean you get the license to re-list the old one.

I mean not that they would WANT to but I doubt they even could if they did.

Good point.

I kind of think the gameplay sucks as well, but both Paul Robertson (pixel art) and Anamanaguchi (soundtrack) were at the top their game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It doesn't deserve the praise it gets but from a video game preservation standpoint I'm glad to see it's back.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

It doesn't deserve the praise it gets but from a video game preservation standpoint I'm glad to see it's back.

Is it coming out physically because if not then lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

probably should have cross-posted this comparison i put into the gpu thread:

from Series X ($499 big xbox) to Series S ($299 small xbox) they go from:

CPU: 3.8GHz (3.6GHz w/ SMT) -> 3.6GHz (3.4GHz w/ SMT) (so cpu is a bit weaker)
GPU: 52 CUs at 1.825GHz -> 20 CUs at 1.565GHz (majorly gimped gpu)
GPU Power: 12.15 TFlops -> 4 TFlops (dumb measurement but architectural like for like at least)
Storage: 1TB -> 512GB (and removing the disc drive)
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 -> 10GB GGDR6 (significantly cut down)

But the RAM gets complicated now as for the Series X they're running the 16GB at 2 different speeds (10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 336GB/s - 2.5GB held on the slower part for the OS). on the Series S it's 8GB at 224GB/s, 2GB at 56GB/s. Not quite sure how if they're just not reserving 2.5GB for the OS on the S model, but they're locking themselves down on feature parity at the OS-layer from the get-go. for context the ps5 has 16GB at 448GB/s with no segmentation

specs are from their announcement: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-launching-november-10/ (see https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/09/Tech-Specs-1.jpg)

if you're grabbing an xbox for back-compat and apps i don't see what you gain with this over a used xbox one s

and ya the df video had them confirming that series s wouldn't get one x's back-compat improvements, otherwise it was repeating marketing points and no critical analysis

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Grabbing a Series S for back compatibility seems like madness since it... doesn't have a drive

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1304141209326161921?s=19

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
The ps5 is disgustingly ugly. If it does come free I will throw is straight in the garbage as soon as i am finished vomiting on it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how much retailers will care about stocking Series S or the disc-less PS5, considering the tiny benefits they get from selling them compared to the physical ones.

There's never been a console cycle where the very first launch units include digital-only versions, right? So this will be interesting (more so with the PS5, where there is parity between the two versions). Ask yourself this question: Why is there no disc-less variant of the Series X?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-24-european-gamers-wary-of-digital-only-games-consoles

GI.biz posted:

60% of European gamers surveyed in a recent study say they're unlikely to buy a games console that does not play physical discs.

The data comes from the latest research conducted by ISFE and Ipsos MORI's GameTrack survey, on behalf of GamesIndustry.biz. The data covers UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.

Gamers have been increasingly downloading major releases over buying them in boxes. In June, digital games data tracker GSD revealed to us that (during Q1 this year) some markets are now more than 50% digital for AAA releases such as Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Star Wars, Call of Duty, Tom Clancy and Red Dead Redemption.

The UK was 56% digital for these titles, France was 47% digital, Germany (including Switzerland and Austria) was 50% digital, Spain (plus Portugal) was 35% and Italy was 33%.

GI.biz posted:

22% of UK console gamers are likely to purchase a digital-only machine, German console players are 19% likely, French console owners are 16% likely, whereas Spanish and Italian players are 10% and 15% likely respectively.

Lots more details in the article. Covid has changed things a bit, but still.... does the market truly exist for these digital-only consoles yet?

Interestingly, only 4% cited download limits as a reason to not buy digital. After all, many major games come with mandatory huge day one patches anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The main reason I wouldn't go for a discless console (despite not having had a disc drive in my PC for years) is that these are closed systems. Having no option but to pay whatever insanely inflated price they've slapped on digital releases would feel bad and get really expensive.

Maybe one day we'll have a console market with an open ecosystem but not a loving while.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
it's ridiculous to make the optical drive a defining part of the console. they should all be discless but support usb disc drives

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

on the Series S it's 8GB at 224GB/s, 2GB at 56GB/s.
:what:

should have just been a $99 xCloud streaming box at this point

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is it coming out physically because if not then lol

Times are different these days. Give it a year, one of the many limited run game botiques will pick it up and do a physical print run.

Any halfway decent indie game gets a physical run now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

butt dickus posted:

it's ridiculous to make the optical drive a defining part of the console. they should all be discless but support usb disc drives

Is there many 4K external drives out there?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ruffian Price posted:

:what:

should have just been a $99 xCloud streaming box at this point

Wide memory buses are expensive!

I want to hear more from engine devs, but realistically can’t you just use lovely low res textures to get out of VRAM size or bandwidth issues?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They could release one together in partnership lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

stev posted:

The main reason I wouldn't go for a discless console (despite not having had a disc drive in my PC for years) is that these are closed systems. Having no option but to pay whatever insanely inflated price they've slapped on digital releases would feel bad and get really expensive.

Maybe one day we'll have a console market with an open ecosystem but not a loving while.

This was a huge source of anxiety on the PC side in the early 2000s, but it turned out that even with Steam having a defacto monopoly, pricing - particularly sale pricing - became more aggressive. Stimulating sales of titles that are >6 months old with strong discounts turned out to work very well.

I think the folks worrying about there only being one storefront and that leading to price gouging are underestimating the public's willingness to just not buy something they think is too expensive.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the drive in the one x is just a sata blu ray drive, so it's reading at 6gbps tops. usb 3.1 (it's called usb 3.2 gen 2 now?) is 10gbps. i'm sure lg/pioneer/lite-on would be happy to make xbox-branded drives

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

This was a huge source of anxiety on the PC side in the early 2000s, but it turned out that even with Steam having a defacto monopoly, pricing - particularly sale pricing - became more aggressive. Stimulating sales of titles that are >6 months old with strong discounts turned out to work very well.

I think the folks worrying about there only being one storefront and that leading to price gouging are underestimating the public's willingness to just not buy something they think is too expensive.

In north america you are correct but i think other parts of the world havent seen the same be true yet.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

butt dickus posted:

the drive in the one x is just a sata blu ray drive, so it's reading at 6gbps tops. usb 3.1 (it's called usb 3.2 gen 2 now?) is 10gbps. i'm sure lg/pioneer/lite-on would be happy to make xbox-branded drives
External 4K Bluray drives are around $100 and I don't expect them to be compatible with any of the digital consoles.
Pretty sure the bandwidth isn't an issue here (disc reads suck anyway), just having the format available at all

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 11, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

butt dickus posted:

Yeah but presumably the Series X is using 4K drives

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

In north america you are correct but i think other parts of the world havent seen the same be true yet.

ive been digital only this entier gen and we get good sales here as well, and i also have a us account i can use too for sales over there. sales on sales on sales.

and yeah there hasnt been a single secondf of my life that ive thought wow i wish i could buy physical pc games again. the prices are lower than theyve ever been lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Yeah but presumably the Series X is using 4K drives

4k drive is still sata makes no difference

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

4k drive is still sata makes no difference

I totally forgot the One X/S had 4K drives already :doh:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Part of the One S's value proposition was being the cheapest 4K Bluray player available for a while (the prices are still nuts overall but there are better value options now), kinda like with people buying PS2s to play movies on DVD

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

America's Console, baby

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

Part of the One S's value proposition was being the cheapest 4K Bluray player available for a while (the prices are still nuts overall but there are better value options now), kinda like with people buying PS2s to play movies on DVD

Yeah that was a good reason for getting one. One weird thing I noticed was that I'm fairly certain the One S interface itself is still 1080p, the graphics on all the UI look really bad compared to the PS4 pro.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

External 4K Bluray drives are around $100 and I don't expect them to be compatible with any of the digital consoles.
this was my complaint. make the consoles smaller and slightly cheaper but let you buy a separate drive if you still want one. a mechanical drive is a big failure point so having something any user can replace easily would be a big benefit

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

DVD actually being something that was being widely adopted seems like a significant difference

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

butt dickus posted:

Aw yeah

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Got one of those before I had a 360 just to watch HDDVDs on my PC. No ragrets

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah that was a good reason for getting one. One weird thing I noticed was that I'm fairly certain the One S interface itself is still 1080p, the graphics on all the UI look really bad compared to the PS4 pro.

It is, and this applies even to the One X. They originally planned to make the One X UI 4K but decided against it to maximize the amount of memory available for games. Per Microsoft using a 1080p UI instead of 4K leaves 1 GB more of RAM for games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zat posted:

It is, and this applies even to the One X. They originally planned to make the One X UI 4K but decided against it to maximize the amount of memory available for games. Per Microsoft using a 1080p UI instead of 4K leaves 1 GB more of RAM for games.

I shudder to think how much RAM the PS4 Pro UI is using cos that thing is laggy as gently caress

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They seriously need to fire the guy that keeps loving up their ram

Sourcing 4 different types of ram, a couple at weird niche speeds, seems like a huge waste of money and big dev hassle

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I buy digital console games a lot, but I usually buy physical if it exists. There’s a few reasons for that. price, data caps, and it ensures that I can never lose that content when some license runs out and the dev patches that content out.

I will not buy a diskless console this coming generation. I don’t care how much smaller or cheaper it is.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gutcruncher posted:

I buy digital console games a lot, but I usually buy physical if it exists. There’s a few reasons for that. price, data caps, and it ensures that I can never lose that content when some license runs out and the dev patches that content out.

I will not buy a diskless console this coming generation. I don’t care how much smaller or cheaper it is.

I don't understand the "data caps" argument now that games have 50+GB downloads even after you installed from the disk. Discs seem to be a physical license management system to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't understand the "data caps" argument now that games have 50+GB downloads even after you installed from the disk. Discs seem to be a physical license management system to me.

Every meg matters some months, but even ignoring a data cap I usually still want the benefits of physical, especially on Switch where getting cartridges saves tons of space on the sd card