Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've gotten some nicknames from learning events, but that's the only ones I've seen other than the ones you get from dynastic decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've gotten a couple events where I've just been allowed to chose between a couple different titles for my ruler.
Magnanimous, The Tactician, etc etc.

Maybe it's a thing that procs while you have maxed out prestige or something?
Or perhaps are part of a lifestyle event chain.

In one case I got it while someone asked me how to be adressed in front of the troops, another time it was something Stewardship-related.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

TorakFade posted:

I'd say the succession is safe unless :xcom: happens and I can start looking outwards. What's the best path to ultimate success with Matilda? I'm guessing I need a kingdom to avoid having to fight my genius brothers as my genius heir, but the Kingdom of Italy seems like a pain to acquire enough land to form. I already got a hook on the HRE emperor and used it to put free wars in my feudal contract so I can just smash my neighbors if need be but they have alliances and it'd be a slog. Might be better to form a custom kingdom? I could start nibbling on the southern part of Italy, the duchy of Capua would be easy pickings and then I can start loving with Robert the Fox (if he doesn't have an "accident" before then)

Forming Italy isn't too bad because you can keep rotating through the different vassals holding the land you need while truces run down, and helpfully once you've formed it the emperor should transfer you most of the rest of your de jure territory if you're on good terms. Then just backstab him in an independence war at the nearest opportunity

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I got a big event chain from doing a realm-wide census that gave me nickname The Meticulous

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I will never, ever remember a character’s first name, even my own, so nicknames being common would be a useful crutch for me.

jobroskie
Mar 3, 2008

Am I pretty yet mommy?
So I went from the Duke of Transylvania to the King of Bulgaria, to swearing fealty to the Byzantines in one life and had a child who was good looking with a genius wife and heir. Everything is looking up right?

WRONG

Son turns out to be a cannibal. He gets excommunicated and my vassals put his aunt on the throne of Bulgaria. I BARELY manage to keep my duchy together because I was able to use a hook to get an alliance with the new Queen. Oh and my Genius kid dies a couple of years before his cannibal father leaving my heir as his 16 year old granddaughter.

Her reign is when my save finally stabilizes again. I'm still a duke but I'm easily the most powerful duke in Bulgaria. I spent most of the cannibals life reinvesting in my main county which now has 4 castles, a city, and a temple. By the time her reign was over I had expanded past her former borders and passed on land to her 5 sons which all have relative places of power, but none can match the sheer force in levies of my capital county. Its interesting though because its hard to know what to do next. I'm thinking I need to get a claim on the Bulgaria again and put myself on the throne. The current kings sister though is the Empress of the Byzantine Empire.

Side note: What the hell is the Sheperd of the Romans? I thought it was a weird name for a holy order or mercenary band but its a feudal duchy with no de jure titles. Where did this come from? I married the duchess with this title and now I have an equal rank daughter in my court with no land and no claims to press.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Byzantines are insanely strong every game and never break up, as is tradition

At least the HRE tends to fracture pretty regularly. Still love this game

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is the last unlock in the Blood dynasty tree worth it? 5 more years on average sounds neat, but I actually enjoy to start playing characters that are less than 50 years old once in a while.

Also, speaking of dynasty, the "Open Dynasty Tree" button becomes "Click here to crash game" when you reach 500+ members.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Broken Cog posted:

Is the last unlock in the Blood dynasty tree worth it? 5 more years on average sounds neat, but I actually enjoy to start playing characters that are less than 50 years old once in a while.

Also, speaking of dynasty, the "Open Dynasty Tree" button becomes "Click here to crash game" when you reach 500+ members.

I gave it a miss and started on the Kin tree. I figure I'll grab Blood 5 after Kin 5?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i consistently had 80+ year old rulers after filling the blood tree and completing my eugenics project which was nice. your rulers get better with age with dynasty traits and the long reign bonuses add up. also makes planning and filling skill trees way easier

nerox
May 20, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just demanded payment from an 11-year-old leper on the assumption that he wouldn't be able to increase his wealth to pay the full amount of his hook :geno:

I have to keep this crappy empire afloat somehow

I ransomed a King's mother back to him. The King was 4..... :geno:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
My feudalised Lithuania crashed while autosaving this morning and I lost it. Tried everything but the save was corrupted and not available anywhere else.
Well, that loving sucks.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
All my rulers just get obese the instant they turn 50 and die a few years later, usually because their siblings die and it spikes their stress.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Just dropping in with a little reminder that Percentages Aren't Real. If, say, you have a ruler die to a 22% chance boar attack during a hunt then 75 years later his great-grandson gets the same event you CANNOT say "well, a 9% chance of dying isn't too bad." Instead you must say "ah well, on to the next character" and accept that he is already dead before clicking the button. Some might argue that a 22% followed by a 9% will happen about one in every 50 times, unusual but nothing to write home about. Those people are charlatans who do not understand math. If you roll a d% twice and the first number is under 23, the second number will ALWAYS be under 10, without fail.

I had two rulers with education focus and it still took till 1000 before I was able to switch to feudalism. Should've caught up on the thread to see that my paltry 1400 gold wouldn't be anywhere near enough, though. Now I'm in economic mode building farms all across my demesne and preparing for 50 years of catch-up.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Make dukes, transfer the counts in their duchys to them. If you're empire level, consider making vassal kingdoms.

Yes, I got an Empire (Vestlond) and can make one more (britannia)
I been doing what you said, but..
I think i found a bug ingame, in the succession screen it says i have 71/60 vassals, but in my kingdom it says i have 41 vassals.
I been transferring vassals left and right, but didn't get any reduction. Even gave up the title for France and England without any effect.

Guess it's time starting over, but not building a big empire.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chakan posted:

Just dropping in with a little reminder that Percentages Aren't Real. If, say, you have a ruler die to a 22% chance boar attack during a hunt then 75 years later his great-grandson gets the same event you CANNOT say "well, a 9% chance of dying isn't too bad." Instead you must say "ah well, on to the next character" and accept that he is already dead before clicking the button. Some might argue that a 22% followed by a 9% will happen about one in every 50 times, unusual but nothing to write home about. Those people are charlatans who do not understand math. If you roll a d% twice and the first number is under 23, the second number will ALWAYS be under 10, without fail.

I had two rulers with education focus and it still took till 1000 before I was able to switch to feudalism. Should've caught up on the thread to see that my paltry 1400 gold wouldn't be anywhere near enough, though. Now I'm in economic mode building farms all across my demesne and preparing for 50 years of catch-up.

All of those things will vanish the moment you change. It's broken, it SURELY shouldn't gently caress you like it does.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm doing my first serious playthrough with the kinngdom of Leon and it's been pretty good so far, your starting king is pretty good at intrigue so I've been having a blast scheming and murdering my way across the Iberian peninsula.

I just wish the game notified you in some way that your king has an incestuous affair with his sister (and heir) before she gets (repeatedly) pregnant with your children.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's just part of the fun of starting as Alfonso

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

jobroskie posted:

So I went from the Duke of Transylvania to the King of Bulgaria, to swearing fealty to the Byzantines in one life and had a child who was good looking with a genius wife and heir. Everything is looking up right?

WRONG

Son turns out to be a cannibal. He gets excommunicated and my vassals put his aunt on the throne of Bulgaria. I BARELY manage to keep my duchy together because I was able to use a hook to get an alliance with the new Queen. Oh and my Genius kid dies a couple of years before his cannibal father leaving my heir as his 16 year old granddaughter.

Her reign is when my save finally stabilizes again. I'm still a duke but I'm easily the most powerful duke in Bulgaria. I spent most of the cannibals life reinvesting in my main county which now has 4 castles, a city, and a temple. By the time her reign was over I had expanded past her former borders and passed on land to her 5 sons which all have relative places of power, but none can match the sheer force in levies of my capital county. Its interesting though because its hard to know what to do next. I'm thinking I need to get a claim on the Bulgaria again and put myself on the throne. The current kings sister though is the Empress of the Byzantine Empire.

Side note: What the hell is the Sheperd of the Romans? I thought it was a weird name for a holy order or mercenary band but its a feudal duchy with no de jure titles. Where did this come from? I married the duchess with this title and now I have an equal rank daughter in my court with no land and no claims to press.

I've seen a few characters like this, I wonder if it's the game creating characters for events and then failing to purge them, or something.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

twistedmentat posted:

They must have a high rank of crown authority because if i just straight up declare war on them, that brings the whole kingdom down on me.

I was confused about this too. If it tries to declare war on the liege that doesn’t mean it has high authority. Check if the count you’re declaring on has a duke above them, right click declare war on the duke, that should let you go to war for your claim against just the duke/count. It’s weird, and I don’t know if it’s intended or if it was like this in CK2.

If high authority is in place it just grays out the declare war button with red text that you cannot declare war.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 11, 2020

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

All of those things will vanish the moment you change. It's broken, it SURELY shouldn't gently caress you like it does.

If there are infinite universes, then there must be at least one where I'm happy, right?

Sweden had a pirates cove connected to most every water tile on the map. Had, because England split away in a succession crisis and warred for all his claims, so now England has a menagerie of counties everywhere and 2/3 of France and Sweden.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm doing my first serious playthrough with the kinngdom of Leon and it's been pretty good so far, your starting king is pretty good at intrigue so I've been having a blast scheming and murdering my way across the Iberian peninsula.

I just wish the game notified you in some way that your king has an incestuous affair with his sister (and heir) before she gets (repeatedly) pregnant with your children.

It does tell you but this is how he starts out, because it's (probably) what he was doing in real life.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Taear posted:

My feudalised Lithuania crashed while autosaving this morning and I lost it. Tried everything but the save was corrupted and not available anywhere else.
Well, that loving sucks.

I thought there were 2 autosaves? Look for a save called oldautosave, it should be from previous year

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, I got it again, so I have to ask, again: Has anyone seen the end of the "White Stag/Wolf/random woodland creature" event chain?
Every time I get to the part where it says "It can't be long until I see it again now" or something like that and gives me a 10 year buff called "Focused on the hunt" that gives +1 to Prowess, but then it never resolves.

Edit: The text of the final event I always get is "It will not elude me much longer!".

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 11, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sekenr posted:

I thought there were 2 autosaves? Look for a save called oldautosave, it should be from previous year

I'm playing Ironman, there are no other saves for sure. I went into the folders listed and it was just the one (the corrupt one)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Taear posted:

I'm playing Ironman, there are no other saves for sure. I went into the folders listed and it was just the one (the corrupt one)

are you using cloud saves? those are seriously bugged! paradox is aware of it though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Davincie posted:

are you using cloud saves? those are seriously bugged! paradox is aware of it though

Unfortunately yea I am.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, I got it again, so I have to ask, again: Has anyone seen the end of the "White Stag/Wolf/random woodland creature" event chain?
Every time I get to the part where it says "It can't be long until I see it again now" or something like that and gives me a 10 year buff called "Focused on the hunt" that gives +1 to Prowess, but then it never resolves.

Edit: The text of the final event I always get is "It will not elude me much longer!".

Keep trying, surely the event followup won't elude you much longer :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Eej posted:

That's just part of the fun of starting as Alfonso

Taear posted:

It does tell you but this is how he starts out, because it's (probably) what he was doing in real life.

Yeah, I didn't notice he is already loving his sister at the start date. Gotta say the schemer's life is pretty fun.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Broken Cog posted:

Looking at the hunting event file, what you're seeing seems normal. You're just increasing your odds of catching it next time in really small increments. If the actual odds are anything like the CK2 version of the event chain, actually completing the event chain will be really rare.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
My wives keep cheating on me and producing illegitimate children that nevertheless have many of my congenital traits. Now, I'm pretty inbred so that could explain it but it seems weird when my strong, handsome ruler finds out that his strong, handsome, and intelligent kid is actually the product of my intelligent wife's indiscretions with my genetically worthless vassal.

This could be luck, but is it possible that children are generated using the apparent father's genetics rather than the biological father's?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice he is already loving his sister at the start date. Gotta say the schemer's life is pretty fun.

Starting as the sister is the real pro jimena start. Make sure to kill Alfonso before he starts planting incest babies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Little Kielbasa posted:

My wives keep cheating on me and producing illegitimate children that nevertheless have many of my congenital traits. Now, I'm pretty inbred so that could explain it but it seems weird when my strong, handsome ruler finds out that his strong, handsome, and intelligent kid is actually the product of my intelligent wife's indiscretions with my genetically worthless vassal.

This could be luck, but is it possible that children are generated using the apparent father's genetics rather than the biological father's?

Yeah, the cheating is out of control, reminds me of when Way of Life was released for CK2, and every kingdom was just a massive orgy all the time.

I think Paradox have acknowledged that it's not working as intended though.

No Pants posted:

Looking at the hunting event file, what you're seeing seems normal. You're just increasing your odds of catching it next time in really small increments. If the actual odds are anything like the CK2 version of the event chain, actually completing the event chain will be really rare.

Aw drat, so I should just keep on doing the hunting decision, then?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mongol update: I jumped on a few of Temujin's armies that were milling around in small Mongol territories near my borders and got him up to a white peace acceptance before any of his main armies actually showed up. It was great, I got to sit back with a positive relationship with the Khan while his armies rolled over everyone else in my neighborhood.

Now I just have to wait until this colossal Mongol empire (all of Mongolia, the western half of Tibet, East Turkestan, and some of central Asia) fragments.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you are both under the same liege you can declare war on them directly without the liege getting involved at all, unless crown authority is at high or absolute, which prevents vassals from declaring war on each other. If this is the case you'll need to start/join a liberty faction to bring it down.

My vassals sure spend a lot of time fighting each other for someone with absolute crown authority! I haven't given them permission to fight in their contracts and have no idea why they're able to do that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My heir somehow became a baron in Normandy (I'm King of Ireland).

It looks like my mother's father had the title but it passed to my son instead of to me. Very annoying.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

My vassals sure spend a lot of time fighting each other for someone with absolute crown authority! I haven't given them permission to fight in their contracts and have no idea why they're able to do that.

Theoretically they can also do it if they have a hook on you I think but I suspect it's bugged

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

So do you always start with partition succession or are there some that don't have it? I like to play CK2 as mostly a chill kingdom builder and its a lot harder to be chill where i have to rush to having a kingdom so i don't have to reconquer a bunch of poo poo from my siblings

I'm also interested in some characters who start wtih intrigue or stewardship lifestyles all mine have been diplomacy or war lol

the shittiest count start in 1066 iberia is like that. I got to be the unified king of half the peninsula without a single war. it's also a lady so a lot more challenging at the start, as you are disliked because of male preference. I switched that to a femdom based culture quickly though

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My favorite part of this playthrough so far was getting deposed from the imperial throne and spending a whole lifetime working to claw it back lol

I got hooked on CK2 this way. I had formed the empire of Britainia, had my 22 year old ruler drop dead, and was left with a Duchy in Castile...

And the rest of the game was me forming the Empire of Hispania. Since that game I *always* play with iron man flipped on just to avoid the temptation of save scumming.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Byzantines are insanely strong every game and never break up, as is tradition

At least the HRE tends to fracture pretty regularly. Still love this game

I wish the AI vassal factions would be a little more aggressive in forcing elective succession on Empire titles, it would help a lot with the power consolidation.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

There's an event that "rewrites" a child's parentage years after they are born, genetics are established at birth, so it doesn't affect them.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Looking over at Greece and I've noticed there's no Albanian culture in either start date. Why is that and where are they?