Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“Browser apps were a mistake” is all I’m seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Data Graham posted:

It's also super painful trying to use Safari with the GSuite apps, like for work, because they insist on being wormed all the way into your browser for their ungodly SSO poo poo. I haven't been able to use Safari for work since they locked it all down.

Google gets super pissy at Apple, too.. in Big Sur Beta 5, Apple somehow slipped in hardware acceleration in Safari for up to 8K videos on machines as ancient as 2013 models, you could play 8K videos in Safari without much trouble.

Google got wind of this somehow and by the time Big Sur beta 6 came out, they reprogrammed the YouTube servers first to refuse to serve up 8K to Mac Safari platforms (but you could still select 4K res,) then as far as I can figure, they disabled serving VP9 to Macs altogether, now you're lucky if you get an AVC1 codec..

You can still get 8K to show up as an available resolution if you use, yup, Google Chrome, but it is heavily buffered and plays with a lot more frames dropped than Safari did back when people could get away with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, that reminds me, trying to use Google Meet in Safari (before they made it impossible to use any work platform stuff without GSuite SSO) was an exercise in frustration. Video quality was choppy and CPU was pegged, and audio kept stuttering. Do it in Chrome and it's silky smooth. I would have boofed my last remote interview if I hadn't switched on the spot to Chrome

If I hadn't gone almost 100% telepresence a year ago covid would have been the breaking point for me with Safari.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Fallom posted:

Not that you’re wrong, but I’m also seeing “gently caress google forever because they will constantly break their sites to force you to use chrome”. It’s the primary reason that Microsoft gave up an entire browser codebase and switched to a chromium-based one, because google kept throwing in changes for no reason other than to gently caress with your experience on other browsers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That must have been an interesting and novel experience for Microsoft

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Firefox with NoScript has been fine for me. :shrug:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah really not getting the FF hate. I use Safari 75% of the time for work poo poo including heaps of google meet. Works fine. Then Firefox for anything not work related. It’s also fine?

If anything lamo that you’d use a browser built by an advertising company.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use safari most of the time, but once you start getting into the media sites like HBO Max's website, Kanopy, and other weird half baked streaming sites, it's clear they only really want to support Chrome.

E: Also Spotify

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looked back a couple pages, but may have missed: Has anyone else had issues with Mission Control since updating to 10.15.6? Specifically, triggering "Mission Control" (the function which previously showed all my open windows regardless of application) now just shows a blank desktop. Through Googling, I was able to find a several different posts suggesting solutions, none of which have been effective:
This is forcing me to realize how much I love that drat feature, so I'm hoping someone has an idea!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Krakkles posted:

Looked back a couple pages, but may have missed: Has anyone else had issues with Mission Control since updating to 10.15.6? Specifically, triggering "Mission Control" (the function which previously showed all my open windows regardless of application) now just shows a blank desktop. Through Googling, I was able to find a several different posts suggesting solutions, none of which have been effective:
This is forcing me to realize how much I love that drat feature, so I'm hoping someone has an idea!
Did you install the update through the App Store/system prefs updates or did you load it on via the combo update?

I’ve had issues with the delta updates (the ones from the App Store only install changes since your previous OS version) that I’ve been able to fix previously by reinstalling the combo update (which loads on all of the files that have been changed since the 10.x.0 patch) over the top of the current install. If you’ve already installed the supplementary update to 10.15.6 that might not work since it’ll be a different build.

Also, if you haven’t installed it yet go ahead and install the supplementary update as that might help.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mercurius posted:

Did you install the update through the App Store/system prefs updates or did you load it on via the combo update?

I’ve had issues with the delta updates (the ones from the App Store only install changes since your previous OS version) that I’ve been able to fix previously by reinstalling the combo update (which loads on all of the files that have been changed since the 10.x.0 patch) over the top of the current install. If you’ve already installed the supplementary update to 10.15.6 that might not work since it’ll be a different build.

Also, if you haven’t installed it yet go ahead and install the supplementary update as that might help.
I think the former - Apple Menu, About This Mac, Software Update?
It doesn't appear to offer any other updates, so this might be a "back everything up and reinstall" kind of situation. Which I'm not looking forward to, but I do miss MC.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i use safari most of the time, but once you start getting into the media sites like HBO Max's website, Kanopy, and other weird half baked streaming sites, it's clear they only really want to support Chrome.

E: Also Spotify
Spotify started supporting (or just not actively blocking?) Safari a little while ago at least.

I'm in a design class and we started basic web coding recently, they're all about Chrome cause it supports whatever crap...which kinda goes against the "mobile first!" emphasis with much of the class using iPhones stuck w/Safari's renderer. But it's sort of the same thing on phones I guess, instead of forcing you to Chrome it's mobile apps.

And maybe soon enough they'll be pushing you to download the iOS app on ARM Macs :suicide:. Course that might not always be bad depending on the quality of some of these sites vs their apps.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like Safari but i split my time between windows and mac, so Firefox's syncing works well for me. I use Chrome for my work (web dev) but do not like their intrusive, ad-focused ecosystem for personal use. Chrome has, by far, the best dev tools, but Safari is necessary for doing anything Apple.

Firefox's performance is a lot better than I'd expect and their dev tools are probably in the #2 spot. It's a good browser.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is it possible to use a wired internet connection to my laptop but still use my Apple TV as a second monitor through airplay?

I'm streaming meetings but I find airplay eats up some bandwidth but I don't want to run so many cables around the place.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I think this is more of a mac question than an iPhone question so this seems like the right place to put it.

I used to have an iPhone, which I backed up manually to my High Sierra running Mac. Since then I broke my iPhone, switched to android, upgraded my mac to Catalina, and now I'd like to get some data out of my old backup files, images, message history, etc.

I moved all my backups from ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup across to my new mac, but iTunes is now depreciated and finder isn't showing me any way to access them, I can't find the "manage backups" option anywhere. Additionally, if I just navigate to the backups location they're all encrypted, though I obviously know the password.

Googling mainly just leads to companies trying to sell you their software, but is there a good way to access the data in my backups or am I going to have to pay one of these companies for some software to access them?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
On the Safari vs. Everything Else debate, I really like the containerization options in Firefox. Safari has their "Intelligent Tracking Prevention" by default, is that functionally the same thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlternateAccount posted:

On the Safari vs. Everything Else debate, I really like the containerization options in Firefox. Safari has their "Intelligent Tracking Prevention" by default, is that functionally the same thing?

No, the ITP stuff isn’t as complete AIUI. The Firefox containers are almost exactly what I want, if they had better tab management stuff.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DJ Burette posted:

I think this is more of a mac question than an iPhone question so this seems like the right place to put it.

I used to have an iPhone, which I backed up manually to my High Sierra running Mac. Since then I broke my iPhone, switched to android, upgraded my mac to Catalina, and now I'd like to get some data out of my old backup files, images, message history, etc.

I moved all my backups from ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup across to my new mac, but iTunes is now depreciated and finder isn't showing me any way to access them, I can't find the "manage backups" option anywhere. Additionally, if I just navigate to the backups location they're all encrypted, though I obviously know the password.

Googling mainly just leads to companies trying to sell you their software, but is there a good way to access the data in my backups or am I going to have to pay one of these companies for some software to access them?
I don't know if there's a free way to do this, but I can vouch for iExplorer, it's great software.

You could also switch back to an iPhone ya dingus

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Krakkles posted:

I think the former - Apple Menu, About This Mac, Software Update?
It doesn't appear to offer any other updates, so this might be a "back everything up and reinstall" kind of situation. Which I'm not looking forward to, but I do miss MC.
Before you do that, make another user account and see if it’s broken on that as well. If it’s working on the other account then it’s just something wonky with preferences on your main account and can probably be fixed with some judicious removal of plots files.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Fallom posted:

Im very much in the "death to all one-page-apps" camp, alas its not a healthy attitude in my field (software dev).

Regarding browser choices. im mostly a chrome person these days, but man does this browser kick my rear end sometimes. So much bloat..

Embrace diversity, imho. The last time we had a near monoculture, MS tried to kill off apple by withdrawing from developing IE for the mac around the time netscape was in the throws on bleeding out.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 11, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Housh posted:

Is it possible to use a wired internet connection to my laptop but still use my Apple TV as a second monitor through airplay?

I'm streaming meetings but I find airplay eats up some bandwidth but I don't want to run so many cables around the place.

AirPlay is just streaming video, nothing to do with WiFi despite the name.
Just make sure the aTV and the laptop are on the same Ethernet network.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

duck monster posted:

Im very much in the "death to all one-page-apps" camp, alas its not a healthy attitude in my field (software dev).

100% this. just look at the loving madness of the slack ui when you are trying to keep up with multiple threads.

imagine if we could just pop a loving window out to keep track of multiple things rather than relying on this one-window bullshit, but that's literally impossible because we've forgotten how to make native apps

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
don't call me out like that

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

we've forgotten how to make native apps

I'm the idiot that learned how to build UI components from X11 primitives in Uni, and loved WPF.

One day someone will need me to do that! One day.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Binary Badger posted:

Google gets super pissy at Apple, too.. in Big Sur Beta 5, Apple somehow slipped in hardware acceleration in Safari for up to 8K videos on machines as ancient as 2013 models, you could play 8K videos in Safari without much trouble.

Google got wind of this somehow and by the time Big Sur beta 6 came out, they reprogrammed the YouTube servers first to refuse to serve up 8K to Mac Safari platforms (but you could still select 4K res,) then as far as I can figure, they disabled serving VP9 to Macs altogether, now you're lucky if you get an AVC1 codec..

You can still get 8K to show up as an available resolution if you use, yup, Google Chrome, but it is heavily buffered and plays with a lot more frames dropped than Safari did back when people could get away with it.

.... vp9 is not efficient enough for 8k on a bandwidth basis this is on Apple for dragging their feet for years on accelerated VP9

Could they keep sending VP9 to apple devices? Sure, but the bandwidth cost would be enormous for what prior to big sur was a tech demo. It's not really worth the $ to serve 8k inefficiently to millions of devices.

If it takes apple another 5 years to get hw accelerated AV1 that's on Apple.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm not not sure I'm missing a beat here, but every guide/manual I've looked at doesn't match up with the app and make me feel like I'm on crazy pills.

So there seems to be a bug/missing feature on MS Outlook where if you're a delegate for someone's calendar you should be able to freely accept and edit any meeting invites for them, however I've got this one person who's migrated from Windows to Mac OS and they just get the error "To manage events on behalf of XXX you must configure your delegation settings".

Now I've never heard of this before as Outlook/Exchange just figures itself when the permissions are in place, I've read there's supposed to be a client settings option for "People I am a delegate for" but I sure haven't seen it. Outlook online works fine for them so I pretty much said you'll just have to use that as I don't know why the app isn't playing ball :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Slash posted:

I'm not not sure I'm missing a beat here, but every guide/manual I've looked at doesn't match up with the app and make me feel like I'm on crazy pills.

So there seems to be a bug/missing feature on MS Outlook where if you're a delegate for someone's calendar you should be able to freely accept and edit any meeting invites for them, however I've got this one person who's migrated from Windows to Mac OS and they just get the error "To manage events on behalf of XXX you must configure your delegation settings".

Now I've never heard of this before as Outlook/Exchange just figures itself when the permissions are in place, I've read there's supposed to be a client settings option for "People I am a delegate for" but I sure haven't seen it. Outlook online works fine for them so I pretty much said you'll just have to use that as I don't know why the app isn't playing ball :shrug:

I'm assuming O365, but what happens when they try using the web client? That should help narrow down whether it's a permissions issues (or other server side problem) or if it resides with the local Mac client.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Yep it is O365 and when they use the web client it works totally fine, it just seems somehow the Mac client doesn't pick up on the delegated permissions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m selling a macbook air that wont power on, for parts. I dont wanna give my password to the buyer if they are able to fix it. Is it possible I can change the password for it online? But if it turns out the motherboard is dead, than it wouldn’t matter right? I’m assuming an icloud lock is tied to the mobo and not the data on the hdd?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I’m selling a macbook air that wont power on, for parts. I dont wanna give my password to the buyer if they are able to fix it. Is it possible I can change the password for it online? But if it turns out the motherboard is dead, than it wouldn’t matter right? I’m assuming an icloud lock is tied to the mobo and not the data on the hdd?

If someone is skilled enough to bring your laptop back from the dead they're more than likely skilled enough to perform an internet recovery or USB OS install and won't need your password anyways.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ChocNitty posted:

I believe that if the computer doesn't have a T2 chip, any sort of lock is just on the HDD, so if it was wiped it wouldn't matter. If it has a T2 chip it has a true activation lock like phones.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not that anyone gives a poo poo, but Apple is pushing the Safari 14.0 update on Mojave and Catalina.

Not much to say about it but it removes Flash support completely. If you have anything that somehow depends on Flash (and why in God's name would you) then don't upgrade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binary Badger posted:

Not that anyone gives a poo poo, but Apple is pushing the Safari 14.0 update on Mojave and Catalina.

Not much to say about it but it removes Flash support completely. If you have anything that somehow depends on Flash (and why in God's name would you) then don't upgrade.

Appreciate that since my Mac will be stuck on Catalina. It seems a lot better than 13 performance wise. I was having issues with it this year.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Binary Badger posted:

My government's tax return filing site requires flash...

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
So, does Preview just lie about the size of images? Here I've got Firefox and Preview both displaying the same image at 100%.

E: I think the screenshot tool captures the state of the physical pixels in the monitor, with the result that all my screenshots are scaled up 2x? Quite a pain for doing screenshot LP work.

I just got the Display Menu app, and it seems to fix my issue okay.

So Math fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 17, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's a retina display thing.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
How do tb3 hosts work? Can I plug an egpu into the downstream port on like a ts3plus and will it work

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The safari update has broken practically every other site I visit with "A problem repeatedly occurred with goatse.cx" messages.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Guess that's why Apple updated the Safari in Big Sur dev Beta 7 to 14.0.1.

Apple appears to have disabled the VP9 hardware acceleration framework (it's available in Develop > Experimental Features, but only on Big Sur natch)

There's a toggle for VP9 via software but it uses up CPU where previously it was all directed to the GPU..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

There's a toggle for VP9 via software but it uses up CPU where previously it was all directed to the GPU..

:negative: