Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've hit a sticking point and I need to consult the hive mind.

I'm assembling a Bandai transformable Macross kit, the VF-31 to be specific. One important part of the kit is the use of brass odds in a few places for strength. it doesn't look like I'm supposed to cut the one rod in the kit, so I've been robbing my backlog for spare rods. I'm going to run out.

Does anyone know the dimensions, especially diameter of the metal rods in these kits. If no one does, am I better off asking HLJ customer support or just buying a caliper set and measuring directly. HLJ seems like to give me better answers, but with the caliper, I'll own a caliper.

Suggestions ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I've hit a sticking point and I need to consult the hive mind.

I'm assembling a Bandai transformable Macross kit, the VF-31 to be specific. One important part of the kit is the use of brass odds in a few places for strength. it doesn't look like I'm supposed to cut the one rod in the kit, so I've been robbing my backlog for spare rods. I'm going to run out.

Does anyone know the dimensions, especially diameter of the metal rods in these kits. If no one does, am I better off asking HLJ customer support or just buying a caliper set and measuring directly. HLJ seems like to give me better answers, but with the caliper, I'll own a caliper.

Suggestions ?

I’d get in touch with HLJ; Bandai usually gives you everything you need in the box but sometimes they miss a part at the factory. My MG Tallgeese didn’t come with the spring for the gun.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just made the MG Zaku II 2.0 head, I love the mechanism for the eye, and handling the hose bits with a tweezer instead made it a lot easier.

I think there is a mistake on the instructions for the head hoses; It seems to say to cut off the ball bearing at the end, but when I attach it, it does not fit snugly in. If I leave the ball bearing, it fits way more snug. So I have one hose that can be pulled out easily (though it seems to stay put well enough if I know not to tug on it, and it may be intended), and another that can not. Again, it does seem to stay put otherwise and if worse comes to worse I could get some glue for it.

So, are those dry rub decals that the model comes with? I think I should handle the one for the shoulder shield before I made the arm (or before I attach the piece at least)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 7, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got given the MG FA Unicorn ver. Ka as a birthday present. Anything I need to know besides 'buy an action base so you can actually pose it'?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Got given the MG FA Unicorn ver. Ka as a birthday present. Anything I need to know besides 'buy an action base so you can actually pose it'?

Note that the very first piece you assemble has two positions; missing this is the source of a lot of complaints about the waist.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

So, are those dry rub decals that the model comes with? I think I should handle the one for the shoulder shield before I made the arm (or before I attach the piece at least)

The Zaku IIF at least comes with a mix of stickers and dry transfers - if it has a green backing it's a sticker, transparent is dry transfer, blue would be water slides.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

Don't attach any weapons to the arms if you actually want to pose it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Sell it and buy the RG :v:

I wish I could be less scathing, but the MG Banshee has soured me on that kit line permanently. If the MGEX makes the construction less lovely I may forgive that one.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 7, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It didn't happen to me, but I've heard of more than one person breaking it at the shoulder while trying to get the cloth on, so be careful with that.

Edit: missed the unicorn bit, I was talking about the Thunderbolt FA MG, please disregard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Note that the very first piece you assemble has two positions; missing this is the source of a lot of complaints about the waist.

Ah? What do you mean by that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah? What do you mean by that?

When you snap I8 down onto I2 you'll probably feel it catch once before it's completely bottomed out. This is by design; after you spin I8 around to the right orientation this means that you can pull up and push down on I8 and it will hold in both positions. In Unicorn mode I8/I2 will be at its most compact position, but in Destroy mode you will pull down on the lower chest to get a couple of millimeters of height. This comes into play with part I1, a hinged tab that pivots on the upper chest and also has two slots for the corresponding tab on part M2 on the back of the lower chest. If you don't expand that joint in Destroy mode but move the I1-M2 connection to the Destroy position the chest will slouch forward and there will only be a little sliver of psycoframe exposed at the back of the joint; it will look misaligned in Destroy mode because it is.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Buy a digital caliper, then do the other thing too. You'll find plenty of uses for the caliper both inside and outside the hobby. It's not an every day item by any means, but the convenience of being able to quickly check the size of something has made it one of the better sub-$20 purchases I've made in the last few years.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a video about the history of Diaclone, one of the predecessors to Transformers.

https://youtu.be/clfu80hEd5s

Watch it, if you're interested.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Droyer posted:

I made a video about the history of Diaclone, one of the predecessors to Transformers.

That was great. Please post part 2 when it comes out.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RIP, managed to twist off a peg in the shoulder assemblage of the RG Sazabi. Time to break out the superglue and live with some lowered articulation.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Ibblebibble posted:

RIP, managed to twist off a peg in the shoulder assemblage of the RG Sazabi. Time to break out the superglue and live with some lowered articulation.

how did you break it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ibblebibble posted:

I feel ya. I just broke both knee joints on a VF-31 Veritech kit. Both identical pieces, in the exact same spot. They're on a small, six-part runner in an odd, gold color using an extremely brittle plastic. If HLJ is generous with the 10-day replacement parts policy, I'll cast replacements in a material that isn't idiotic for use in a joint. Otherwise it's glue + using calipers to produce a 3D model.

Bandai dropped the ball on this one, literally any other material on any of the runners in this kit - and there are at least three besides the brittle runner of failure - wouldn't break. I'd post pics if Imgur was taking uploads right now, but the part is one of those that looks like a crescent wrench and snaps over a bar.

At least it was the VF-31 kit, not one of the cool VF-25s.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Snail Information posted:

how did you break it?

Not my picture, but this person broke it in the exact same way as me. When I tried to flip out the shoulder assemblage it got stuck on the peg and instead the peg twisted right off. I would pin it down but the hand drill I have sucks so right now I've just superglued it down until I can dig around in the family toolbox after work. It won't be able to flip out but I wasn't really planning on doing poses that it would need to anyway.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ibblebibble posted:

Don't feel bad, I accidentally nipped off a piece of the visor and had to do some precision gluing too. That kit demands respect from modelers apparently. God is the end result beautiful though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

Don't feel bad, I accidentally nipped off a piece of the visor and had to do some precision gluing too. That kit demands respect from modelers apparently. God is the end result beautiful though.

Yeah, even only halfway complete it's intimidating as hell. Hopefully should be able to complete the main suit tonight, accessories tomorrow.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Marx Headroom posted:

Hey I did this exact thing too!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ibblebibble posted:

Last week I broke the two bottom "wings" of the RG Crossbone's core fighter while building it. Wrangling the pieces into holding together long enough for the glue to set was an incredible pain in the rear end since all I had on hand were little alligator clips. It's all fixed now, but I'm never touching the core fighter again.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm back!

Cheeky little re-colour jobbie to christen the new house. Gloss came out a bit jankier than expected, I think it was probably the new paint I used.

I'll do proper photos when I unpack my gear.

Got a VERY VERY BIG project coming up soon. Get excited!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xaerael posted:

I'm back!

Cheeky little re-colour jobbie to christen the new house. Gloss came out a bit jankier than expected, I think it was probably the new paint I used.

That looks gorgeous.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Droyer posted:

You done good, Droyer

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Something that isn't obvious in still photos is the crazy effect stuff I did (mostly on the blade)

Holochromatic lacquer on the edge, and colourshift paint on the crossguard and bit in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LT7SexWR0s

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Xaerael posted:

I'm back!

I love this color scheme!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It's a shame that it's PB but still, aww yiss it's finally happening!

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1304193791327313920?s=19

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

RillAkBea posted:

Oh gently caress yes.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
PLEASE let them go on P-Bandai US.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
my first gunpla was a mercurius kit from the early 2000s and it was a piece of just so its nice to see it get a remake, especially with how good the new hg leo is

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

PLEASE let them go on P-Bandai US.

So far everything has shown up so we’ll almost certainly get it. As with all other high demand things set a reminder, preload the page, and be ready to go when it’s open.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

We are now one step away from an HG Virgo

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Oh man I was just regretting that the Mercurius and Vayeate looked tailor-made for gunpla but were way too old to find anymore. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

Also to chime in on RG Sazabi chat, I feel really fortunate now to have only lost a decal during my assembly (one of the metallic ones on the boosters; bounced off as I was pressing it into place and disappeared into the carpet). I did almost mess up the shoulders by not pressing them down into the chest cavity far enough, but thanks to comments in this thread and with help from the relevant image on dalong I was able to recover before making any permanent mistakes.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

RillAkBea posted:

:sickos:

One step closer to a modern 1/144 Epyon.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Hello folks! It's been a while!

I'm looking into getting back into model making after a hiatus of a few years due to moving and...life. I need to pick up some fresh tools and was looking for good nippers and I know people talk about GodHands but which version? I'm placing an order through HLJ and wasn't sure which ones I'm supposed to be looking at.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

They also announced the Sandrock with a laser uzi as P-Bandai.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

huh, if there was gonna be a p-bandai sandrock i would have expected the endless waltz version

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

runwiled posted:

Hello folks! It's been a while!

I'm looking into getting back into model making after a hiatus of a few years due to moving and...life. I need to pick up some fresh tools and was looking for good nippers and I know people talk about GodHands but which version? I'm placing an order through HLJ and wasn't sure which ones I'm supposed to be looking at.

The thread told me it is this one: https://www.hlj.com/ultimate-nipper-5-0-gh-spn-120-godspn-120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

As someone who recently got a pair of those, I can confirm they're what you want. You'll also want a regular pair of angled nippers as well, as GodHands are only for the narrower sprues and not the chunky ones you get holding some parts to the runner.