Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's ok - probably the weakest of the four we've heard so far but it might grow on me. The preview for the next track was much more up my street though.

Shame about the video though. I'm guessing either Covid had a big impact on production or they've already blown their budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-7U-FDql1A

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 20, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So it turns out that didn't embed properly from mobile, but the SA iOS app converted it for me, oh well!

And now that it's live and I got to listen to it, it sounds like one of my favorite tracks so far.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

IUG posted:

So it turns out that didn't embed properly from mobile, but the SA iOS app converted it for me, oh well!

And now that it's live and I got to listen to it, it sounds like one of my favorite tracks so far.

Eh, I wasn't much into it these first couple of listens.

But then, I said that about every song except Desolé and now I love all the songs except Aries.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i LOVE this new track. Desole number one this one number two. This might be number one though I looove the vibe.

russel's punching in the video at 1:30 beginning on beat and slightly desynching by the end is really messing my life up though

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Middle of the pack for me, which still means I think it's really good. Next episode sounds nuts too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like that needed to be a minute longer than it was. Really enjoyed it though.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

i LOVE this new track. Desole number one this one number two. This might be number one though I looove the vibe.

russel's punching in the video at 1:30 beginning on beat and slightly desynching by the end is really messing my life up though

he starts desynching due to 2d eatin him come on man keep up with the video

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
New song premieres in like 9 hours, here’s a 30 second clip: https://youtu.be/Hb6itWsCL1Q

Robert Smith from The Cure on guest vocals 🤤

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

1. Strange Timez (feat. Robert Smith)
2. The Valley of The Pagans (feat. Beck)
3. The Lost Chord (feat. Leee John)
4. Pac-Man (feat. Schoolboy Q)
5. Chalk Tablet Towers (feat. St Vincent)
6. The Pink Phantom (feat. Elton John and 6LACK)
7. Aries (feat. Peter Hook and Georgia)
8. Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
9. Dead Butterflies (feat. Kano and Rosani Arias)
10. Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara) [Extended Version]
11. Momentary Bliss (feat. Slowthai and Slaves)
12. Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)
13. Simplicity (feat. Joan As Police Woman)
14. Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
15. With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)
16. MLS (feat. JPEGMAFIA and CHAI)
17. How Far? (feat. Tony Allen and Skepta)

Releases October 23rd

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Whoa whaaaaaat, I thought it was only gonna have 10 tracks?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hughesta posted:

1. Strange Timez (feat. Robert Smith)
2. The Valley of The Pagans (feat. Beck)
3. The Lost Chord (feat. Leee John)
4. Pac-Man (feat. Schoolboy Q)
5. Chalk Tablet Towers (feat. St Vincent)
6. The Pink Phantom (feat. Elton John and 6LACK)
7. Aries (feat. Peter Hook and Georgia)
8. Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
9. Dead Butterflies (feat. Kano and Rosani Arias)
10. Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara) [Extended Version]
11. Momentary Bliss (feat. Slowthai and Slaves)
12. Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)
13. Simplicity (feat. Joan As Police Woman)
14. Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
15. With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)
16. MLS (feat. JPEGMAFIA and CHAI)
17. How Far? (feat. Tony Allen and Skepta)

Releases October 23rd

yesss

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There’s also an 11 track version, as confirmed on the Record Store Day website:

https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/190295209414

Now I’m worried I won’t get the 17 track version, because I only ordered the standard almanac not the deluxe one :ohdear:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i ordered the deluxe because im a true fan

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think the deluxe almanac also only comes with the standard CD (I ordered the super deluxe), I'll just have to grab it on vinyl to compensate

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I imagine some of those tracks are gonna be skits or interstitial-type things.

Either way, can't wait! Just a little over a month to go!

Also, loving Beck?! AND Robert Smith?! And mother loving ELTON JOHN?

:vince:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope the book comes with the 17 track album. But knowing Gorillaz, the 17 track will only come with the $300 edition of the album.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

JPEGMAFIA feature...

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

IUG posted:

I hope the book comes with the 17 track album. But knowing Gorillaz, the 17 track will only come with the $300 edition of the album.

Just went through the ordering for my Local record shop and the 17 track version is the 30 buck double LP and the 18 buck deluxe CD version, so they're not going all out on album pricing this time around.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Stoked to hear the tracks with Beck and EARTHGANG. Also the rest of them

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Gorillaz were massive for me in middle school (I scanned the Bonesy guy from the self-titled booklet, traced over in MSPaint and used Gorillaz art for a science project in 7th grade. If I remember right he was hitting a ball up with his fist to demonstrate gravity), then The Cure became massive for me in high school but Strange Timez is one of my least favorite Song Machine songs.

Plastic Beach was really the last album I loved and captured the spirit of the band as I remember it. That was feature heavy but it worked and the overall theme and story was fun and made the album interesting. Humanz does nothing for me and I like a few of the Song Machine songs but overall just lacks the original spirit that I loved about Gorillaz. I think Damon said he wanted a virtual band originally to escape the ideas of celebrity and expectation from being the star in Blur and now it just seems like a vehicle for celebrity features so it just feels like it goes against the original idea and what made it special.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

Gorillaz were massive for me in middle school (I scanned the Bonesy guy from the self-titled booklet, traced over in MSPaint and used Gorillaz art for a science project in 7th grade. If I remember right he was hitting a ball up with his fist to demonstrate gravity), then The Cure became massive for me in high school but Strange Timez is one of my least favorite Song Machine songs.

Plastic Beach was really the last album I loved and captured the spirit of the band as I remember it. That was feature heavy but it worked and the overall theme and story was fun and made the album interesting. Humanz does nothing for me and I like a few of the Song Machine songs but overall just lacks the original spirit that I loved about Gorillaz. I think Damon said he wanted a virtual band originally to escape the ideas of celebrity and expectation from being the star in Blur and now it just seems like a vehicle for celebrity features so it just feels like it goes against the original idea and what made it special.

fascinating, but completely incorrect. music is music and your skewed perception of what gorillaz is doesnt matter to anyone but yourself, humanz is 10/10, so is the now now, so is the fall, so will be song machine

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao The Now Now and Humanz are great but they aren't 10/10 by any measure. Song Machine so far has been far better.

Really exciting to see that tracklist, but also bummed that they seem to have dropped the episode format, I was enjoying it. Now it's more like a standard album where a small collection of singles are released early. Doubt we'll get many more videos after the album drops either.

Still, can't wait. Shame there's no Tame Impala after all of the rumours though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

scary ghost dog posted:

fascinating, but completely incorrect. music is music and your skewed perception of what gorillaz is doesnt matter to anyone but yourself, humanz is 10/10, so is the now now, so is the fall, so will be song machine

Nah, they're right. Plastic Beach was their last great album as a whole. I don't really care about the virtual aspect of the band outside of the cool videos and occasionally funny animated bits outside of the videos, though.

They've made some wonderful music since PB, and I've either loved every song on Song Machine or at least grown to like them, but Strange Timez kind of sucks. Which is a shame because once the beat kicks in, it's good, but the intro or whatever is way too long and boring and the rest of the good parts of the song, way too short.

I will say Song Machine is already way better than the Now Now and Humanz just based on the songs released so far.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Humanz is a 10 The Now Now is a 6.5 and Song Machine will be a 10

Gorillaz are at their best when working with others and experimenting

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new track with Robert Smith is WOW.

where are you guys preordering for NA?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
humanz is one of the best albums ive ever heard lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dont need fairweather fans coming in the gorillaz thread trying to tell me some of their music isnt good. please head back to the nu metal thread or wherever you post

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Walrus posted:

My local record shop.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

The Walrus posted:

I pre-ordered an orange LP from Rough Trade and will grab the deluxe cd from a local place upon release

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gorillaz has always been an excuse for Damon to just do collabs with a bunch of people. There isn't some sort of big secret thing here lmao

Demon Days got me through a huge depression episode that lasted for years and it was always my go to background noise to cope, and I hold it in so much higher regards than the others, but I'm not going to put my nose up to more sweet tunes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m excited for this gorillaz record!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The album versions of the previous episodes are uncensored which is nice. Desole is the longer version from the video too, and Damon seems to have rerecorded his lines so "contraband" and "land" actually rhyme.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

scary ghost dog posted:

dont need fairweather fans coming in the gorillaz thread trying to tell me some of their music isnt good. please head back to the nu metal thread or wherever you post

just lol if you listen to anything by gorillaz but the bong rip at the beginnign of that one track

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

The Japanese version of the release features a bonus track called Taxi Back to 80s Reykjavik

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All track times:

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

gently caress yeah a 7 minute song with Earthgang is gonna be nuts

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I’m actually really hype for this... I’ve kind of mostly hated this band ever since the Fall though. Lol. Really love the title track.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I’m actually really hype for this... I’ve kind of mostly hated this band ever since the Fall though. Lol. Really love the title track.

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I try to re-listen to Humanz every time you say it’s 10/10 and I hate it so much. I don’t hear what you hear... for me it’s She’s my Collar and that’s it