Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Im stealing this write up from the last thread, which is locked

Today isnt the twentieth anniversary of Marilyn Manson's debut album, Portrait of an American Family. This is a Marilyn Manson thread.

Who is Marilyn Manson? Who are Marilyn Manson?

Marilyn Manson is Brian Hugh Warner, from Canton, Ohio, born January 5, 1969.

Marilyn Manson is also a band from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, formed 1990 as Marilyn Manson & The Spooky Kids. The "classic" lineup of Marilyn Manson consisted of Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner) on lead vocals, Daisy Berkowitz (Scott Putesky) on lead guitar, Twiggy Ramirez (Jeordie White) on bass, Madonna Wayne Gacy (Stephen Bier) on keyboards, and Sara Lee Lucas (Fred Streithorst) on drums. Other members who have come and gone have included Zsa Zsa Speck, Olivia Newton Bundy, Gidget Gein (R.I.P.), Ginger Fish, Zim Zum, John 5, Tim Skold, and eventually a revolving door of various sidemen. Marilyn Manson is the only original member left in the band, which most recently consisted of Manson, Twiggy Ramirez (bass), Tyler Bates (guitar), and Gil Sharone (drums).

OK, so what have they released in twenty years?

Albums:
Portrait of an American Family (1994)
The debut full-length studio album by Marilyn Manson, released on July 19, 1994 in the US through Nothing/Interscope Records. This is the band's only album to have been written primarily by original guitarist Daisy Berkowitz, and the only album to feature bass by Gidget Gein, who was fired in late 1993 and passed away in 2008. It was recorded at Criteria Studios in Miami and produced by Roli Mosimann and Trent Reznor.

Antichrist Superstar (1996)
The second full-length studio album, released on October 8, 1996 in the US through Nothing/Interscope Records. It is a rock opera concept album and the first installment in a trilogy that includes Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death). It was recorded at Nothing Studios in New Orleans and produced by Trent Reznor.
This is the last Marilyn Manson album to feature original guitarist Daisy Berkowitz.

Mechanical Animals (1998)
The third full-length studio album, released on September 15, 1998, through Nothing/Interscope Records and marked the beginning of the band's brief foray into glam rock, a sharp contrast to the harsh and abrasive industrial rock and metal sound of their earlier and succeeding efforts.
This is the only Marilyn Manson album to feature touring member Zim Zum on guitar.

Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) (2000)
The fourth studio album, released in November 2000 through Nothing/Interscope Records. The album marked a return to the industrial and alternative metal style of the band's earlier efforts, after the modernized glam rock sound of Mechanical Animals. A rock opera concept album, it is the final installment in a trilogy that includes Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals. After its release Manson revealed that the overarching story within the trilogy is presented in reverse chronological order; Holy Wood, therefore, begins the story. It was written in the singer's former home in the Hollywood Hills and recorded in several "undisclosed" locations, including Death Valley and Laurel Canyon. Bassist Twiggy Ramirez left the band after touring for this album.

The Golden Age of Grotesque (2003)
The fifth full-length studio album, released on May 13, 2003 in the US through Nothing/Interscope Records. It was the last Marilyn Manson album to feature guitarist John 5 and keyboardist Madonna Wayne Gacy, and the first to feature former KMFDM member Tim Skold.

Eat Me, Drink Me (2007)
The sixth full-length studio album, released on June 5, 2007 through Interscope Records. Essentially a solo album by lead vocalist Marilyn Manson, it was recorded in a rented home-recording studio in Hollywood by Manson and guitarist/bassist Tim Sköld. The album was produced by Manson and Sköld, and mixed by Sean Beavan.

The High End of Low (2009)
The seventh full-length studio album, released on May 26, 2009 through Interscope Records. It was the last Marilyn Manson album released by long-time record label Interscope Records and was produced by Sean Beavan and Chris Vrenna. This is the last album to feature drummer Ginger Fish, and the first since 2000 to feature Twiggy Ramirez.

Born Villain (2012)
The eighth studio album, released on May 1, 2012. Born Villain is the first album released through vocalist Marilyn Manson's Hell, etc. imprint, distributed by Cooking Vinyl. The album was recorded by Manson, Ramirez, and Chris Vrenna at "Zane-a-Due," a studio in the former home of Billy Zane.

Live albums:
The Last Tour on Earth (1999)
A live album comprising recordings from Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals and Rock Is Dead tours, recorded in Cleveland, Ohio; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and elsewhere. "The Last Day on Earth" was recorded in Las Vegas on the Mechanical Animals Tour. Some of the tracks are prefaced with spoken diatribes.
The album includes one new studio track, "Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes", and three previously unreleased songs.

EPs:
Smells Like Children (1995)
An EP released on October 24, 1995 in the US through Nothing/Interscope Records. It was produced by Manson and Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. The release, created and composed throughout the touring cycle in support of Portrait of an American Family, was initially proposed to strictly be a remix single for "Dope Hat", with contributions by Reznor, Skinny Puppy producer Dave Ogilvie, and NIN keyboardist Charlie Clouser; but the addition of new material by the band along with cover songs and a variety of interview clips and experimental compositions expanded it to album length.

Remix & Repent (1997)
A five-track EP intended as a companion piece to Antichrist Superstar. It was released on November 25, 1997 and features remixes and alternate versions of songs from Antichrist Superstar, and live tracks recorded during the Dead to the World tour.

What's going on with Marilyn Manson right now?

Cover songs and old age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
So I've been listening to The Last Tour On Earth every day after putting it off for years, holy poo poo so good

Mechanical animals is an amazing album

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
There's no time to descriminate
Hate every motherfucker that's in your way!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
it's all relative to the size of your steeple

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Was listening to a random playlist of Manson the other day and was reminded just how many songs he's done, and how many of them are great. Industrial, hard rock, glam rock, poppy stuff, the soulful recent stuff. This guy is legit. At his prime he was a beast, now he kinda sucks live but whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mechanical Animals kicks rear end and everything after Golden Age of Grotesque kinda sucks, thank you for reading

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Yeah I've never heard anyone say eat me drink me or anything after was good

I always wonder how holy wood and the rest of his career wouldve been if he wasn't blamed for columbine

hbxli
Aug 4, 2004

BABIES... THEY'RE BABIES
Holy Wood is about being a child star on the TV show The Wonder Years and Mechanical Animals is about removing one of your ribs so you can suck your own thang

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Muk Dumpster posted:

I always wonder how holy wood and the rest of his career wouldve been if he wasn't blamed for columbine

I think the really telling thing was when the "prime time" members like John 5 and Twiggy Ramirez left for different projects.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DumbparameciuM posted:

I think the really telling thing was when the "prime time" members like John 5 and Twiggy Ramirez left for different projects.

Twiggy came back later but was booted when Jessicka went public with all the insane poo poo that happened in their relationship.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

TOOT BOOT posted:

Twiggy came back later but was booted when Jessicka went public with all the insane poo poo that happened in their relationship.

Oh poo poo is Twiggy cancelled?!

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I do have third day of a seven day binge stuck in my head

Come to think of it, i haven't even listened to the non single songs off any album really since EMDM

gently caress EMDM was 13 years ago? 13 years before that was Portrait, really makes you think

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Remember when he wasn't in your face with things and made you think

Say10 is the opposite of that, its painful

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Muk Dumpster posted:

Remember when he wasn't in your face with things and made you think

Say10 is the opposite of that, its painful

There's a word thats like you
Because it can be a noun a verb a exclamation or the thing I say
When something is unbelievable when
I'm not able to believe how unbelievably unbelievable
That you believe you could not believable
That's when I have to say
Wow,

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Portrait of an American Family is the best album

Hes also in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im an adult Manson fan in the sense that I still listen to everything up to and including Holywood occasionally.

the band is quite interesting. Often you see bands with 1 remaining original member like NIN or QOTSA as some kind of musical dictatorship where the front man is creating all the music and getting competent musicians in to play it on tour or in the studio, but Manson seems to be, at least on the albums after Holywood, out of ideas.

Pogo/Madonna wayne-gacy, Twiggy, John 5, Daisy Berkowitz and of course trent reznor were all responsible for the bands success musically far more than Manson was, who really only added the shock value and the aesthetic that pushed them into the mainstream.

Eat me Drink me has putting holes in happiness, evidence and are you the rabbit? Thats the only good songs hes done since Holywood, imo.

The solos and guitar work on EMDM are a pretty cool shift in tone from what was mostly just layers of distorted guitars.

Manson as a band and an individual now doesnt really have much to offer. presumably it is a bit hard to be shocking/weird when Donald Trump is running the planet.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 8, 2020

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
High end of low was the first album i just didn't even bother with, seeing what the 2 singles were called I skipped it. I do need to revisit the newer stuff

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
New song out today called, "WE ARE CHAOS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQJFP1INGxs

Interesting direction, both musically and the video. I like it, though I tend to give leeway to artists when they try something a bit different.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

graynull posted:

New song out today called, "WE ARE CHAOS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQJFP1INGxs

Interesting direction, both musically and the video. I like it, though I tend to give leeway to artists when they try something a bit different.

That's a pretty solid track, and I typically check out with this dude after Mechanical Animals save for the occasional single. Here's hoping the full album is worth more than that single.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Best thing he's done in a long time

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
New album September 11

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

hatelull posted:

That's a pretty solid track, and I typically check out with this dude after Mechanical Animals save for the occasional single. Here's hoping the full album is worth more than that single.

Manson goes Bowie (more than he did in MA).
This is not a bad thing and i look forward to this album. The last one was probably his best since the trifecta album series.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I liked the pale emperor

hbxli
Aug 4, 2004

BABIES... THEY'RE BABIES

Muk Dumpster posted:

New album September 11

so edgy

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

A Grand Egg posted:

Portrait of an American Family is the best album

I have a brilliant idea: let's do more cocaine and then kick out the guy who actually writes cool guitar riffs. You guys in?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Muk Dumpster posted:

I genuinely like The High End of Low, Born Villain is OK, The Pale Emperor is pretty decent, Heaven Upside Down has some good songs ("Blood Honey" is a banger).

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Daisy and I were internet friends for a few years up until he passed away. I had originally sent him a message to get information about an old Spooky Kids video I had bought a few years prior and he asked me to send it to him, which I did, and he emailed back to tell me how great it had been to watch it and the memories it brought back. We continued chat and email every once in awhile after that. He was a really, really cool guy. I had breakfast with him the day after the Jack Off Jill reunion in Asheville, which was the only time I ever saw him perform in person, and I'm really glad I got to meet him. He got dealt a lovely hand and I miss him terribly.

edit: Scott identified the tape I sent him as a rough cut of the Spooky Kids' first attempt at a home video release, Law of Thrift, which I'm not sure was ever released. Fun fact, it was directed by Rodney Ascher, who has gone on to be an acclaimed documentary filmmaker. I wonder if he remembers making it.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 4, 2020

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Did manson ever acknowledge his passing?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

On Instagram, yeah. He posted an old picture of the two of them in 1990 or so, and said "Scott Putesky and I made great music together. We had our differences over the years, but I will always remember the good times more. Everyone should listen to 'Man That You Fear' in his honor. That was our favorite.”

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Very bold of him

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Album leaked on the 1st lol, didn't even know

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did anything ever come of the recent #MeToo poo poo against him? Cause that's really gonna be the deciding factor on if I ever give him another cent as long as his bloated, coked-out rear end is alive.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did anything ever come of the recent #MeToo poo poo against him? Cause that's really gonna be the deciding factor on if I ever give him another cent as long as his bloated, coked-out rear end is alive.

It's Marilyn Manson, whatever you've heard there's other poo poo 10x worse nobody knows about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Molestationary Store posted:

It's Marilyn Manson, whatever you've heard there's other poo poo 10x worse nobody knows about.

The stuff in his book I could get over cause the entire thing was written in such a way that it seems like even he was disgusted with himself. Him straight up sexually assaulting a woman goes beyond hosed up rock star debauchery though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The album just dropped on streaming I guess and I'm listening to it and uh......this second song sounds like Killers track lmao.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Listening to it right now. "Paint You with My Love" is the least Manson song Manson has made. It's his answer to Nine Inch Nails' "Everything".

Not sure what to make of it so far. I don't hate it, but I'm not exactly impressed. Feels like we've been here before.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Macrame_God posted:

Feels like we've been here before.

I listened to it in the background while working. Half the tracks sounded like songs from past albums to me. But not the good ones.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

cryptoclastic posted:

I listened to it in the background while working. Half the tracks sounded like songs from past albums to me. But not the good ones.

I'm getting the same vibe. I felt that Heaven Upside Down was a step down from The Pale Emperor, but even then it had a few choice tracks that stuck with me like Say10, Kill4Me and Saturnalia. This album, however, isn't working for me. Absolutely nothing is sticking with me. It feels more like Born Villain all over again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marilyn Manson literally tied up and tortured Evan Rachel Wood, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Marilyn Manson literally tied up and tortured Evan Rachel Wood, btw.

This is what I've been saying. It seems weird to have a thread on this piece of poo poo. Like we don't have a specific Drake thread. Or a Roman Polanski thread. And for good reason.