Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Beef Stew posted:

That happened with Blarneycock but I thought Lamplighter and the storm parody from the G-men both got shot up with v post mortem to (kinda) bring them back.

Yeah, comics spoiler They don't just pop up. They have to do a bit of work, and it isn't cheap, easy, or really work all that well so they do it just for some PR shoots and then toss 'em. Lamplighter was brought back for a reason and because he was part of the Seven. Vought seems to use it as a "Get your poo poo in order" kind of thing for teams that gently caress up too bad, which is why Blarneycock got brought back..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Okay after recent events, am I the only one who hears "Supe Terrorist" as "Soup Terrorist" ? :haw:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody else feeling this episode was a little long in the tooth. It was good but it suffers from the streaming problem of not being constrained by schedules and not being forced to cut as much.

Also the tick came up on my what to watch next. If you guys ain't seen the tick you've hosed up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

boo_radley posted:

was Stormfront's quip "Change with the times, I did"? that was great.

Maybe she meant like, the time of the day?

:)

Kidding aside, it’s pretty blatant where they’re going with Liberty/Stormfront, I’m sure she’ll do the big villain monologue and reveal everything when she gives Homelander that big pitch from the season preview.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SardonicTyrant posted:

See, to me I don't think Stormfront is Liberty because the characters in-universe are speculating about it. It makes me think there's got to be a twist to it, like how Homelander's son was the big twist in S1.

I mean... its gonna be her daughter, right? seems like the obvious answer? doesn't require fancy cloning, she just looks the same as her mom who was an early supe and so her daughter got the V too and is also a racist supe? So the one lady confuses them as being the same because she looks like how her mom did 40 years ago

This episode was pretty good, mostly because there was lots of MM and MM is amazing. The whole "lets go talk to an old superhero" felt very Watchmen though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean... its gonna be her daughter, right? seems like the obvious answer? doesn't require fancy cloning, she just looks the same as her mom who was an early supe and so her daughter got the V too and is also a racist supe? So the one lady confuses them as being the same because she looks like how her mom did 40 years ago

This episode was pretty good, mostly because there was lots of MM and MM is amazing. The whole "lets go talk to an old superhero" felt very Watchmen though.

they very obviously telegraphed stormfront as liberty with last episodes apartment racism and this episodes also racism, aaaand to make it even more clear the VERY NEXT SCENE has her say that she had to change with the times. Like this is obvious and not hard.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I could see them doing clone stuff just because in the comics there's some clone stuff involved with Stormfront. That might be kind of cheesy though. It does seem like they kinda came out with the reveal that she's Liberty a little early in the season, I also feel like theres something else going on. Her comment about changing with the times could just be a red herring.

Beef Stew fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 11, 2020

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The season is half over, and I don’t think Stormfront’s identity is meant to be a major end of season twist. All the pieces to the puzzle are already there.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

they very obviously telegraphed stormfront as liberty with last episodes apartment racism and this episodes also racism, aaaand to make it even more clear the VERY NEXT SCENE has her say that she had to change with the times. Like this is obvious and not hard.

I think it is probably this, the only thing that gives me pause is it seems like the way they would try to play that is have the characters assume she's Liberty's daughter or clone because she's too young to be the same person, and then reveal she is Liberty/70 as a twist- instead of just having Starlight guessing that immediately

One thing I remember reading about that might be related: apparently they cast someone to play Soldier Boy, the WW2 supe that Edgar mentioned. If he's also around as a 30-year-old, I wonder if he's connected to Liberty.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay after recent events, am I the only one who hears "Supe Terrorist" as "Soup Terrorist" ? :haw:

Nope, and now the Soup Nazi has returned

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i am so uncomfortably concerned about hughie and annie, i know this show is going to gently caress something up here. probably a lot and im worried

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Panfilo posted:

I wanna see all the memes :3:

Homelander seriously cleaning house today.

-Fires A train just like that
-Threatens Starlight in the elevator
-Outs Maeve to the world
-Gets all glowy eyed at Stormfront
-Black Noir the only one actually working like always

An then still uses him as an example of diversity in The Seven.

Anthony Starr needs a goddam oscar for every scene he's in and yes I know that's not a TV award

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Antony Starr is killing it this season. He really nails Superman with out the Kents.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So Stormfrontis definitely Liberty. This show isn't trying to beat some prediction on Reddit ala Westworld, but laying a coherent groundwork for a hopefully satisfying payoff. I haven't seen all of Supernatural, but I like what I did see. Kripke knows how to tell a story properly.

boo_radley posted:

was Stormfront's quip "Change with the times, I did"? that was great.

She says 'God knows I did'. Also RE this scene: It sounded to me like she pronounced the last 'd' in 'did' with a slight German accent, almost like she was saying 'didt'. I went back after the ep ended and listened again, and I can't shake it. Anyone else notice the same thing on first viewing?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't someone in the show say a couple episodes ago that compound v could do anything, even make you look young forever?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

moist turtleneck posted:

Didn't someone in the show say a couple episodes ago that compound v could do anything, even make you look young forever?

If it can lead to near instant organ regrowth, I don't see why it would be unlikely to have a milder cell regeneration effect, which counteracts aging. Honestly, that's a lot more reasonable than shooting lightning from your hands to make yourself hover.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
When the old woman was telling the story of Liberty killing her brother, wasn't it Aya Cash voicing that? Like it was literally the same person in real life and in the show.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mycomancy posted:

Frankly, having skin made out of diamond/carbon metamaterial/carbon nanotubes doesn't make you impervious to fire. Antoine Lavoisier showed you can burn one. They should've just doused the fucker in kerosine and threw a match at him.

lateposting but I've just run through the series. I thought they were going to douse him in kerosene or something. Carbon skin means heat conduction so...

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

moist turtleneck posted:

Maybe, but I think that was in this very episode when they were trying to figure out if it really was Stormfront.

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a picture of the Vought founder with Stormfront next to him or in the background. They wouldn't have brought up "he was a literal nazi scientist" if they weren't going to do something with it. It makes more sense to me than cloning orfamily resemblance and it fits with the comic character.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
That Ed Sheeran tattoo. :stare:

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, same here. :v:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Supe nazi

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol george would get denied supe but I wonder what newman's power would be when he scuttles away

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

moist turtleneck posted:

lol george would get denied supe but I wonder what newman's power would be when he scuttles away

Turn into a little worm.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

When the old woman was telling the story of Liberty killing her brother, wasn't it Aya Cash voicing that? Like it was literally the same person in real life and in the show.

Yes, and we know they have casted a young actor (Dean from Supernatural I think?) to play Soldier Boy so either:
A) there's going to be a flashback and Aya Cash will play Liberty or
B) Soldier Boy is also going to be a young man in his 70s in modern times.
It's very possible that Herr Vought's original formula SupesTM are all super long lived.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Avasculous posted:

One thing I remember reading about that might be related: apparently they cast someone to play Soldier Boy, the WW2 supe that Edgar mentioned. If he's also around as a 30-year-old, I wonder if he's connected to Liberty.

Ughhhhhhhh...Black Noir is going to be Soldier Boy, I just know it. He's been the military "check and balance" presence in The Seven the whole time. But he's gone a bit crazy over the years being ordered to be mute and to *not* reign in the shitheads he's teamed with, and a "crazy Captain America" would track for these writers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ughhhhhhhh...Black Noir is going to be Soldier Boy, I just know it. He's been the military "check and balance" presence in The Seven the whole time. But he's gone a bit crazy over the years being ordered to be mute and to *not* reign in the shitheads he's teamed with, and a "crazy Captain America" would track for these writers.

Nathan Mitchell, the actor playing Black Noir is not an uknown entity - he's no super star, but he has been in quite a bit of TV - so I would be surprised if they are just pulling a bait and switch like that, especially since they could have literally anyone under the costume for how little we've seen him on the screen. Even more after Homelander's freudian slip about diversity hires (the actor playing Black Noir is black).

Also, I've screencapped all the quick fire memes in the episode, but they're not very good:
https://imgur.com/a/HID75P9
Although some are:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

there's a lot of jokes in the boys i imagine had the 30-40somethings in the writers room rolling but my face does not move when i hear them. they're like vaguely joke-shaped noises and sequences of light

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As Nero Danced posted:

Not much of a spoiler, but still. I love that Homelander's favorite movie is Taxi Driver.

That was an amazing moment, because of loving course he would look at that movie's main character as a hero.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Especially choosing that scene was great

Gonna turn out Homelander shot Reagan

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really funny that the woman The Deep liked best in their creepy casting call just made a completely emotionally flat sexual pass at him.

That Italian Guy posted:

Nathan Mitchell, the actor playing Black Noir is not an uknown entity - he's no super star, but he has been in quite a bit of TV - so I would be surprised if they are just pulling a bait and switch like that, especially since they could have literally anyone under the costume for how little we've seen him on the screen.

Yeah it would be a bit cruel to give his role to someone else when they could have had like a stuntman or ... I dunno a mime I guess, under there the whole time. It could have been someone who never expected to actually appear on the show.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
clone, daughter, etc.

wtf :psyduck: maybe they should release manuals with series now

Was it in this thread that people were complaining about subtitles spoiling stuff? Maybe they're not spoiling enough

[Stormfront nazi-lly looking at Homelander and implying that she's older than she looks - a process that's possible with the Compound V making her not visually age - says:]
- You should learn to change with time, I did

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

That Italian Guy posted:

Nathan Mitchell, the actor playing Black Noir is not an uknown entity - he's no super star, but he has been in quite a bit of TV - so I would be surprised if they are just pulling a bait and switch like that, especially since they could have literally anyone under the costume for how little we've seen him on the screen. Even more after Homelander's freudian slip about diversity hires (the actor playing Black Noir is black).

Also, I've screencapped all the quick fire memes in the episode, but they're not very good:
https://imgur.com/a/HID75P9
Although some are:

lol this one is actually extremely alt-right racist poo poo so I guess we can put that to rest

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

moist turtleneck posted:

lol this one is actually extremely alt-right racist poo poo so I guess we can put that to rest

i don't think the boys' writers are deep enough to know about clown world memes. i think it's just from seeing teen non-alt-right kpoppies use non-alt-right clown memes. like it's literally ubiquitous to call people you don't like Clowns now

i know you're getting like a frisson of joy from thinking these guys are as deep as we are, but i'd curb my enthusiasm

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Gotta say, it's been fun reading the fuckwits from a few pages back in the afterglow of the latest episode.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

i'm also gauging their savviness based on the absolute lameness of most of this show's memes. like I get that tv is a year behind IRL but they're just. so lame

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sliami posted:

i don't think the boys' writers are deep enough to know about clown world memes. i think it's just from seeing teen non-alt-right kpoppies use non-alt-right clown memes. like it's literally ubiquitous to call people you don't like Clowns now

i know you're getting like a frisson of joy from thinking these guys are as deep as we are, but i'd curb my enthusiasm

Seth Rogan is as online as anyone in this thread, you’re out of your mind if you don’t think these people know what they are doing. We’re not elite spec-ops posters with deep understanding on clandestine meme technology, you can just go to reddit, click around for like 5 minutes, and find Honkler and Groyper memes effortlessly.

Just being older than 35 doesn’t automatically mean you aren’t internet savvy or don’t know how memes work. The very first image macro creators are all in their 50s/60s/dead by now. Some of these ideas are too on those nose to be a coincidence.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

sliami posted:

i'm also gauging their savviness based on the absolute lameness of most of this show's memes. like I get that tv is a year behind IRL but they're just. so lame
Have you looked at Reddit lately? How about GBS? They're absolutely spot on with the memes. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the creators of the memes logged on here afterwards to try and police what can and can't pass as memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I'll believe it when I see a Pretty Princess Points reference