Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This gif here made me remember that they actually made a brand new TIE Fighter design for this movie, and it was 1) just barely there in the background while all the other madness was going on around it instead of being a feature spacecraft like all other new TIE designs are in their debut movie, 2) didn't get any tie in merch or promo material made for it, and 3) oh yeah, literally stolen from a dude who makes fan designs of Star Wars ships on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

While a lot of the Episode IX designs are pretty creatively bankrupt, it's more likely that JJ just re-used a design that didn't make it into Episode 7, like he did with the submerged Death Star ruins and Star Destroyers with Death Star guns:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

nine-gear crow posted:

This gif here made me remember that they actually made a brand new TIE Fighter design for this movie, and it was 1) just barely there in the background while all the other madness was going on around it instead of being a feature spacecraft like all other new TIE designs are in their debut movie, 2) didn't get any tie in merch or promo material made for it, and 3) oh yeah, literally stolen from a dude who makes fan designs of Star Wars ships on YouTube.

There's just so much crap going on in all of those shots that you can't really appreciate what is going on.

Robot Style posted:

While a lot of the Episode IX designs are pretty creatively bankrupt, it's more likely that JJ just re-used a design that didn't make it into Episode 7, like he did with the submerged Death Star ruins and Star Destroyers with Death Star guns:

Lmao at how that TIE's cockpit is cockeyed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think thats supposed to be the guns moving position to hit other targets.

It still doesnt look good and over engineered for ah who gives a poo poo material conditions no longer exist in Star Wars

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rey who meme, but the John Galt speech.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's a turret. Look the indentation, and the cover that can move like a camera.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

I think thats supposed to be the guns moving position to hit other targets.

It still doesnt look good and over engineered for ah who gives a poo poo material conditions no longer exist in Star Wars

The dude who's video I linked actually made a better looking version of it on his own, three years before it showed up in Rise of Skywalker.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Bogus Adventure posted:

There's just so much crap going on in all of those shots that you can't really appreciate what is going on.

:sterv:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I thought it was real dumb that first order TIEs have a gunner seat that faces backwards, controlling weapons that fire forwards.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also despite having double the crew, it's still the same shape and size as a normal TIE fighter.

It's like they literally brainstormed and wrote some different new type of vehicle into the script but when the time came to render it, they went out of their way to make it into something unoriginal, in a way that actually took more time and effort than coming up with something new would take.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SolarFire2 posted:

I thought it was real dumb that first order TIEs have a gunner seat that faces backwards, controlling weapons that fire forwards.

They're space ships, you're meant to look at screens and poo poo to fire at targets, not literally out the window.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hence the big open canopies and windows everywhere.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

PeterWeller posted:

Hence the big open canopies and windows everywhere.

Well sometimes it's nice just to look outside.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

If any of you have played Battlefront II's Starship Assault from the cockpit POV, you'll know how important being able to see stuff outside really is. The Eta-Actis cockpit design sucks balls because you can barely see anything to the side, and I've died more to crashing than getting shot down thanks to it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Pull up thread. Discussing the practicum of starship designs in Star Wars? That way madness lies.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think the only viewscreen in all of star wars is the one vader chokes the dude out on. Considering the state of the tech in targeting computers on the Falcon and X-Wings maybe they just never invented displays good enough to be used instead of direct visuals.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They've got them here and there. In the OT, it's really only the one in Vader's room and the one in the Endor bunker when Han's disguised as the AT-ST driver. They're slightly more common in the prequels - both the Republic and Trade Federation ships have them at the start of Episode I, and there's several in the Sports Bar in Episode II.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

drat, I forgot all about the sports bar. Aight, I got nothing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Other than space and hyperspace capabilities star war ships seem strictly worse than modern fighters. A modern air force would wipe the floor with x-wings in atmospheric combat.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

lmfao look at this scrub who doesnt know about shields

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lmfao look at this scrub who doesnt know about shields

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Some Goon posted:

The sequels are creatively bankrupt, just another spectacle churned out like clockwork from the Disney movie machine. At best it can be said 'they had some cool action scenes'.

The prequels are a low point in cinema. Every minute is agony, like when Anakin is back with Padme. The closer you watch, the worse it gets. The thought of the horrific acting and dialogue-- I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the movies George should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that those movies will not become a scar. They are in the very soul of the the fandom, tormenting me. What can I do?

Quoting because lol this went over so many posters heads in catching up

5/5

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's amazing that Disney has more trouble committing to an overarching plot than a 14 year old fanfiction.net author

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How much creative staff was kept on from movie to movie? Because it seems like it's not just that they didn't have a plan at all, it's that they specifically administered the whole endeavor so that there couldn't be anyone on the project with any sense of a plan or continuity.

Hiring people who loving hated their immediate predecessors' guts so much that they preferred to totally dismantle everything they had to build on didn't help either. JJ Abrams feels like he hated Last Jedi and Return of the Jedi.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

To his credit, he also seemed like he hated TFA

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hate has made JJ powerful.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That interview with Boyega is illuminating in that regard. It feels as if there were a lot of decisions being made over the heads of the directors, and that JJ and RJ might not be as responsible for the sloppy movies as assumed

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McCloud posted:

That interview with Boyega is illuminating in that regard. It feels as if there were a lot of decisions being made over the heads of the directors, and that JJ and RJ might not be as responsible for the sloppy movies as assumed

The only thing I hold JJ responsible for really is Rise of Skywalker's lovely script. He's got a long history of half-assing stuff like that, so it was to be expected on some level, and hiring someone like Chris Terrio, with a long history of equally lovely scripts to be your co-writer wasn't exactly a winning move either. Then again, who knows if JJ tapped Terrio himself after Duel of the Fates was turfed, or if he was forced upon him by LucasFilm mandate.

Either way, in the Hierarchy of Sympathy for each individual person involved in the Sequel Trilogy, Abrams kind of slides in near the bottom at this point. He's the one person kind of guaranteed to come out of it completely okay.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

The only thing I hold JJ responsible for really is Rise of Skywalker's lovely script. He's got a long history of half-assing stuff like that, so it was to be expected on some level, and hiring someone like Chris Terrio, with a long history of equally lovely scripts to be your co-writer wasn't exactly a winning move either. Then again, who knows if JJ tapped Terrio himself after Duel of the Fates was turfed, or if he was forced upon him by LucasFilm mandate.

Either way, in the Hierarchy of Sympathy for each individual person involved in the Sequel Trilogy, Abrams kind of slides in near the bottom at this point. He's the one person kind of guaranteed to come out of it completely okay.

There's only so much you can do when focus group studio mandates demand you rewrite a script for the umpteenth time on a short deadline, and if Boyega is defending JJ I'm inclined to give him some slack.

Some, mind you, but not much. TFA was still poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I still can't believe that the official Sequel Trilogy makes me look fondly at the EU bullshit. loving :laffo:.

At least the right Skywalker scion was named Ben in the books.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McCloud posted:

There's only so much you can do when focus group studio mandates demand you rewrite a script for the umpteenth time on a short deadline, and if Boyega is defending JJ I'm inclined to give him some slack.

Some, mind you, but not much. TFA was still poo poo.

Boyega also didn't like TLJ as much, which tells me that while he's right on a lot of things he's also one of those people who was probably assuming that Finn was gonna become a Jedi or some nonsense.

I'm sorry, but the number of grown-rear end adults who insist that Star Wars be this "deep, meaningful mythic franchise" getting aggressively angry at the one movie in the new trilogy with the balls to even attempt to be deep, meaningful, or mythic is never gonna stop being funny.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
TLJ was none of those things. Not that any of the disney movies are, but TLJ actively, consciously went out of it's way to avoid them.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Framing Boyega's very legitimate criticisms of Disney and Lucasfilm as sour grapes over not getting to play a jedi seems kinda lovely and condescending

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

OctoberCountry posted:

Framing Boyega's very legitimate criticisms of Disney and Lucasfilm as sour grapes over not getting to play a jedi seems kinda lovely and condescending

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

OctoberCountry posted:

TLJ defenders are some of the weirdest people, I swear.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TLJ is good, I don’t know what that nonsense above is tho

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

I liked it, but completely get why a lot of people don't. That said, it is the only Star Wars movie that will get you called a nazi for disliking it.

There was a bit of that in the wake of TFA, but nowhere near the level it got to for TLJ.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

:golfclap:

OctoberCountry posted:

I liked it, but completely get why a lot of people don't. That said, it is the only Star Wars movie that will get you called a nazi for disliking it.

There was a bit of that in the wake of TFA, but nowhere near the level it got to for TLJ.
That's because actual Nazis were among the people driving the criticism. There's a reason over half of it was about "SJW propaganda."

OctoberCountry posted:

And if that's what I said, it would be. The important thing is you've reframed things in a way that makes you look level-headed and anything I say look wild.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Not me! I'm Dumb and so God drat crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That's exactly what you said, it's barely even a paraphrase.

But also lol at thinking TLJ is "deep, meaningful and mythic"