Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
mixed metaphor challenges to use in your calls next week:
“red herring flag”
“cutting to the cheese”
“putting all your eggs in one casket”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

A classic rookie mistake for a goth farmer

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

one of my former coworkers always used to say "go the extra nickel" instead of "mile" and that alwasy stuck with me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

“cutting to the cheese”
lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

“cutting to the cheese”

cards on the table: i accidentally said this during a meeting last year.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

mixed metaphor challenges to use in your calls next week:
“red herring flag”
“cutting to the cheese”

"we'll burn that bridge when we come to it"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

please don't post my career development strategy in the pos

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I keep talking about checking my code into the suppository during calls but no one seems to notice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

everyone just ignoring the dad joke so hard

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I will never stop with the dad jokes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

that’s a good one.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rotor posted:

this is real though I use it all the time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

i use this one all the time and i will never stop

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Shaggar posted:

i use this one all the time and i will never stop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a perfect way to tell someone you have heard their concerns and will address them in the future by ignoring them and moving forward without being able to go back

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

its a perfect way to tell someone you have heard their concerns and will address them in the future by ignoring them and moving forward without being able to go back

hey this isn't the tech bubble thread, why are you talking about facebooks moderation policies?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this is real though I use it all the time

same, epicly

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
looks like the crazy blade runner haze is gonna hit seattle tomorrow. if you stayed inside i guess it was fine right?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stay inside, run an air filter if you have one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the actual surface air quality may or may not be bad. it was officially "moderate" here despite looking like the apocalypse. my monitor said it was in the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" range, though, so verify if you can.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

looks like the crazy blade runner haze is gonna hit seattle tomorrow. if you stayed inside i guess it was fine right?

Sounds like a happy 9/11.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Achmed Jones posted:

the actual surface air quality may or may not be bad. it was officially "moderate" here despite looking like the apocalypse. my monitor said it was in the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" range, though, so verify if you can.

yep, if the upper air currents are fast or faster by some amount it apparently keeps the nasty crap high and away from you

i also read something similar about a fog layer doing that, so fingats crossed that seattle's london weather saves the day

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/Fullcarry/status/1304491784689471488

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lmfao i was wondering when this was coming

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

lmfao i was wondering when this was coming

6 months to the day from the shelter-in-place order. lol. they probably had a meeting to plan this out on day 1

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/welch94025/status/1304495125419098112?s=20

ok so if i work for twitter and i move to @jack's rich neighbourhood can i get a raise?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
idk where jack actually lives but u get what i mean

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Twitter is bad but probably at least slightly less-bad if you just autoblock any usernames ending with more than two numbers?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so I guess if you're full time remote just don't tell your employer that you moved for as long as possible

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

Twitter is bad but probably at least slightly less-bad if you just autoblock any usernames ending with more than two numbers?
the only way to escape twitter is in a box (checked “deactivate my account”)

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

so I guess if you're full time remote just don't tell your employer that you moved for as long as possible

remember how people used to be scared of google and advertisers mining their location data? should have been scared of letting their workplace/local police/government know where they live instead

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Uptime Sinclair posted:

the only way to escape twitter is in a box (checked “deactivate my account”)

:haibrow:

I'm currently on the 30-day cleanse (loving assholes know enough not to allow an instaclose).

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

when police/gov buy location data from tech im not sure ‘lol and u were afraid of tech having your location’ tracks

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

A 10-15% paycut after moving to a place where cost of living is half is still a pretty big gain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DuckConference posted:

A 10-15% paycut after moving to a place where cost of living is half is still a pretty big gain.

it's only right that the corporation get to keep that money, after all. and if anyone gets it, it should be the boss.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DuckConference posted:

they could afford to pay you before, they can afford to pay you now. remote work is still the same work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cost of _existence_ in some dump flyover is lower. cost of _living an actual life_ is the same or higher

seeing a large concert tour when you live in a big city - $200 for two tickets and a round trip uber and you're tucked in by 1am
seeing a large concert tour when you live in the sticks - $150 for tickets, $300 in gas, $300 lost wages from two days off work, 12 hours round trip in a car, $200 for a hotel room, and god forbid you get a flat or get caught in a storm

obviously corona hell 2020 has changed this calculus somewhat but you get my point

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you can easily make that off the lower cost of rent or mortgages at least

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not as "easily" as you think.

yeah there are some techies making 200k+ and living in $5000/mo apartments and if they moved to bumfuck IA they'd have 4000 of that back. but most of the 25-to-40 techies i know live with roommates and pay 2000-2500 or so for their share of the place. yeah in iowa you get to live by yourself but that extra 1500 a month evaporates quickly with jonny's scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MononcQc posted:

you can easily make that off the lower cost of rent or mortgages at least

I've thought about this vis a vis the fact that I'll probably never be able to achieve home ownership in vancouver but then I realized that, yes, I could go buy a house in bumfuck saskatchewan for an even hundred grand and work from home forever but then I'm pretty sure that'll result in my currently-in-check depression and anxiety will go hardcore back into suicidal tendencies, and frankly, I'd rather not revert to the years of my own brain trying to murder me