Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DrPop posted:

Oh dam really? So is it likely when I see that event that I'm just the target of an Intrigue scheme? Can it be a truthful thing too?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure "natural" cheating that occurs dynamically through normal game means can be discovered by your spymaster(assuming it isn't your spymaster who's the one doing it of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

You can hold onto vassals that should be dejure vassals of your other vassals while playing a beloved king, and then on succession immediately hand them out to their proper lieges for a big opinion boost, for example. Or make a duchy and then grant it to one of the counts in that duchy (this both directly raises your opinion AND gives you a bunch of prestige, increasing your fame).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

fuf posted:

really wish the "chance of children" text had a tooltip showing the modifiers. So often it's "none" and I have no idea why.

I'm also not sure "none" is accurate, or if it just says that if it's lower than what it says is "low". I had a son who had the "infertile" trait, and, amazingly he had an actual child. Of his own. I turned on debug mode to check.

Excelzior posted:

There's no need to land your knights, they won't leave your court if they have a job. It's flavourful to "reward them for their service" and all but meh.

To add to this, if you land many people at once, and they become the direct vassal of someone else, they are no longer your knights. So that's a thing to watch out for.

I, however, tend to land my knights because one way I attract knights to my court is matrilineally marrying my excess daughters, sisters, nieces, etc to men with high prowess. Women who stand no chance at inheriting. When I can't find a good alliance, I first search for who has claims I might want, and if I can't find any, I'll let them age a bit, and if I still can't find an alliance or claim that I want, I'll specifically find an excellent knight, but sometimes also a different counselor or a court physician or something.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

fuf posted:

really wish the "chance of children" text had a tooltip showing the modifiers. So often it's "none" and I have no idea why.

everyone is most fertile from 13 to 24 and then it goes down til 40 when women generally stop being fertile and men have 50~ fertility til they die. women lose fertility every time they have a child as well. the Chance of Children thing is just looking at age and traits and doesnt appear to care about the actual Fertility stat visible in debug mode

strong bird fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 11, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

The "Questionable heritage" is actually not a cheating event at all apparently, but an intrigue event where you basically make poo poo up to sow suspicion. Someone mentioned that the event hilariously enough retroactively changes the biological father too.

I was wondering about that because a while back my heir got the "disputed heritage" thing despite A) clearly having genetic traits from my character (stuff that neither his wife nor the alleged father had, which could have been random chance but it's very unlikely) and B) also having the reincarnation trait of her paternal grandmother.... who the disputed heritage alleges she is not related to at all. Now granted reincarnation is not necessarily a literal thing since they've dialed back the supernatural stuff in CK3, and there's no reason a reincarnation has to be a blood relation anyway, but it is still kind of funny that both of them happened at once (she is also a dead ringer for said paternal grandmother, which again, would be very weird if they were not related, although the reincarnation trait might force their appearance to be similar).

Incidentally after playing her for a while her stats have gotten a bit nuts. I haven't deliberately gamed anything for this at all - she just has insanely high stats from living so goddamn long:

I was expecting her to mostly be a placeholder empress since I got what I wanted with her father (to form the empire of India) and her son and heir is a robust beautiful genius so he can take the "strengthen bloodline" decision, but she's managed to live past 80 and is on her way to completing her fourth lifestyle tree after doing all three learning ones. A little while ago I got the event to make her a witch so now she's been using her insane learning to convert every adult in her house to witchcraft so I can take the "form witch coven" decision, although I don't think she'll live long enough to be able to do it, her heir and his heir are also both witches so they can pick up where she leaves off.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 11, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Anomandaris posted:

Pick the learning trait that tells you when you're about to die -> Imprison your strongest vassals one by one when you get the event -> Laugh all the way to the afterlife. In fact, it's best to be proactive about this and imprison your strongest vassals even if you're not about to die.

Alternatively:
- marry your grandsons to your strongest vassals' families
- keep a few extra titles for the new ruler to hand around after death
- do what you suggested and just beat them all into submission every generation (though it's tedious, especially if you own a huge empire)
- also: if you ever get a crusade, take the time to walk both yourself and your heir to the crusade target until they get the "crusader" trait for a massive bonus to opinion

drat it, Kallor, you're smart enough to not impersonate Rake. What are you doing with this username?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so i founded the kingdom of ireland and i have no idea what the gently caress im doing. ill stop fighting wars for now and ill focus on making the kingdom grow

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I break my army down as much as possible when there's a crusade and put every eligible male in charge of their own 10 person army to get that trait across as many people as possible for the opinion boost.

Sadly making my Muslim dukes siege Jerusalem doesn't give them a trait

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Azhais posted:

I break my army down as much as possible when there's a crusade and put every eligible male in charge of their own 10 person army to get that trait across as many people as possible for the opinion boost.

Sadly making my Muslim dukes siege Jerusalem doesn't give them a trait

Wait, this trait still exists? My ruler lead from the front, and was 4th in the overall score at the end, but didn't get it. Do you have to literally be inside the Crusade target? I sailed down the red sea, sieging everything in sight for quick dosh, piety, and dread, and as they were all considered allies of the defenders and/or their armies, it racked up quite a big score.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, you need to be in the territory targeted by the Crusade. Not that ruler's territory, but the actual De Jure kingdom.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, this trait still exists? My ruler lead from the front, and was 4th in the overall score at the end, but didn't get it. Do you have to literally be inside the Crusade target? I sailed down the red sea, sieging everything in sight for quick dosh, piety, and dread, and as they were all considered allies of the defenders and/or their armies, it racked up quite a big score.

Yeah you get it on the commander of the army pretty much as you set foot within the crusade target. Just don't switch out the commander until the crusade is over or you'll lose it again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, you need to be in the territory targeted by the Crusade. Not that ruler's territory, but the actual De Jure kingdom.

drat it, that's not how wars are won.

In my second crusade, I bee-lined for the enemy's capital and seiged it down, which peeled a bunch of defenders away from allied Christendom. Unlike the first crusade which I suppose I.... could.... reasonably be argued to have ulterior motives, my second one... well, I contributed.

EDIT
Having realized this, I came to the conclusion that I need to gently caress up the Pope directly in response to this insult. I didn't know what direction I was taking my new guy's life, but this..... this must requires a reckoning.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 11, 2020

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Veryslightlymad posted:

drat it, that's not how wars are won.

In my second crusade, I bee-lined for the enemy's capital and seiged it down, which peeled a bunch of defenders away from allied Christendom. Unlike the first crusade which I suppose I.... could.... reasonably be argued to have ulterior motives, my second one... well, I contributed.

You sound Veryslightlymad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a Ledger in this game? I want to visualize how crappy my empire has gotten since feudalizing lol. Also in other games I've found that useful to get a sense of how I'm doing compared to other nations?

Like I started at 867 and I'm just about to approach 1066. I have just started being Fascinated by my first Early Medieval innovation. My capital is 21 development (looking at the mapmode it's the only county in the entire continent with that level of dev?) How is that compared to the average nation in 1066?

And what is the power level differential between MAA at different tech levels? Is it like EU4 where it can be decisive? People have said tribals will get left behind because of tech but it's cold comfort when right now I'm surrounded by armies ten times my size and we have no tech difference, and I won't be able to get even one military tech for at least 50 years (I am prioritizing Hereditary Rule)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So uh, what exactly is the difference between the three partition laws? They read identical to me.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a Ledger in this game? I want to visualize how crappy my empire has gotten since feudalizing lol. Also in other games I've found that useful to get a sense of how I'm doing compared to other nations?

Like I started at 867 and I'm just about to approach 1066. I have just started being Fascinated by my first Early Medieval innovation. My capital is 21 development (looking at the mapmode it's the only county in the entire continent with that level of dev?) How is that compared to the average nation in 1066?

And what is the power level differential between MAA at different tech levels? Is it like EU4 where it can be decisive? People have said tribals will get left behind because of tech but it's cold comfort when right now I'm surrounded by armies ten times my size and we have no tech difference, and I won't be able to get even one military tech for at least 50 years (I am prioritizing Hereditary Rule)

I wouldn't worry too much about it, most of the boosts to MAA come from buildings, which are unlocked by innovations... and the AI rarely builds them. So yes, it's true that innovations make you stronger, but it's mostly indirect. There are some direct bonuses to MAA from tech but they're pretty small compared to what buildings give.

Grand Fromage posted:

So uh, what exactly is the difference between the three partition laws? They read identical to me.

Confederate partition creates more titles to create parity if it can. High partition makes sure half of your titles go to your primary vassal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Grand Fromage posted:

Confederate: Partition except that you can't evade realm splits by holding back on creating top-level titles, any that you COULD have created when you die will be automatically created

Partition: normal

High: partition except that your primary heir always gets at least half the titles regardless of how many kids you have.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
So my heir who got a random barrony outside my Kingdom just converted to another religion. At least because he converted he won't get himself killed in the crusade that just started.

Then he came back to my court briefly to have a sibling spat with his sister. He also shows up at my feasts randomly to eat my food and I assume do his laundry. What a millennial.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah what's up with the game giving random baronies to your kids. It's messing with inheritance in really unpredictable ways.

I just lost my main heir because he'd suddenly been given 4 random temples that I had been building.

Edit: And you can't even revoke them.

Edit2: Is it because I set him as the main realm priest?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 11, 2020

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

drat it, Kallor, you're smart enough to not impersonate Rake. What are you doing with this username?

I know I'm off topic, but I can't help but quote one of my favorite Malazan Book of the Fallen moments in response to this (regarding Kallor, but mayyyybe also kind of relevant to this game):

"I have walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?
Yes. You never learn."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

verbal enema posted:

Is that Sahara section like actual counties if so hell yeah

The Sahara is a spiderweb of oasis settlements surrounded by mostly empty desert, the paper map helpfully colors in those chunks if you control the majority of settlements surrounding them.

It's actually given me the most problems lol, in my previous ruler's life no one had ever created the Sahara kingdom and I gave it to my best friend, a Lithuanian lady with 28 Diplomacy, to stabilize. I never asked her to convert so now a generation later the Kingdom of the Sahara is completely Suomenusko and they have no compunctions about seizing the outer edges of the empire.

I understand very clearly now what was going on in those animated maps of the Roman empire shrinking lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, seems I've found the reason my son was disinherited. If you set a character to your main priest when you have temple holdings and Theocratic Doctrine, they will gain control of those holdings. What this means is they technically temporarily becomes a temple vassal, which is forbidden from inheriting normally, and if this is your heir, they are now disinherited.

Now that I know, I'll be more careful about this in the future, though it can probably be used to game succession if used correctly, since it's a free way to disinherit someone temporarily.

In any case, it really feels like an oversight.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Excelzior posted:

There's no need to land your knights, they won't leave your court if they have a job. It's flavourful to "reward them for their service" and all but meh.

Naw, the trick is to land your vassal's best knights. Now they're yours!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Landing your knights also let's then take lifestyle traits

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was over demesne domain limit and running out of decent people to hand titles to, so ignoring what I learned in ck2 I decided to give a county to my second son, because despite being gay he was the first to give me a grandson so hey, good kiddo, get a castle

But not one month later it turns out his wife was actually fooling around with my firstborn and heir, who's the actual father :v:

The next family lunch is going to be awkward.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 11, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mainland Europe, except for the Dutchy of Flanders, myself, has all gone Waldensian (ignoring of course the huge swaths of Norse states). The King of France tries to get me to convert every few years, and while my last character could tell him to gently caress off and he'd happily oblige, my new character doesn't have 31 diplomacy. Each king since has tried to arrest me, but I'm generally strong and rich enough to fight him off. Well, except for now because I'm broke.

I don't really want to convert, but I can't find any good claimants I can put on the French throne. Nor do I want to be King yet.

England is Catholic, and I could become independent and probably swear fealty to them. It's 1105 and Britannia is still a giant Norse Asatru playground though, and I fear that would open me up to a lot more Norse visits.

Not sure what direction I want to take things in. I've got pretty good intrigue right now so I've just been causally making the child-rulers of France disappear in strange accidents before they can get uppity, but I think there's an expiry date coming on that strategy as well.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 11, 2020

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Broken Cog posted:

Does the Architected Ancestry legacy even work? I picked Albino, and then 100 years later did a search for how many there were in my dynasty. 2 out of 1343 living members had it.
It's pretty weak; all it does is add a 5% chance for a child who doesn't have the trait naturally to be given it at birth, 10% if it's the player's child. And as the other guy pointed out, a bunch of the traits you can pick there will then be selected against by the previous 'no bad traits' perk.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
The Pope is seriously broken in this game, as I suspect is any head of faith with the Communion doctrine (the one that allows you to sell indulgences for cash). The (Catholic) Pope had about 100000 gold after ~200 years of the game's start and any Crusade would almost auto-win since he'd buy all the mercenaries in the world for it.

My current ruler is Pope of his own heresy and I get spammed with about 3-4 indulgence requests per year that essentially mean anywhere between 300 and 600 gold per month. It costs me nothing but the tedium of accepting these notifications and essentially allows me to keep tens of thousands of troops raised at all time. Handing out indulgences should cost something for the Pope (prestige or faith), otherwise it feels like cheating.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Crusades getting called against you really are no joke. Playing as the Dhunnunids (emirate of Toledo), I had a crusade called against me for Galicia. The Catholics managed to muster around 70k men to land in Galicia against my and my allies 30k. It's been a total meatgrinder for the crusaders though- all of the Muslim commanders have insane advantage (my sultan has 39 before factoring in holy warrior). Most of the stable European countries have imploded and been torn apart as leaders get killed in battles. The HRE has practically been destroyed and replaced with mega-Frisia. I lost 9 dynasty members in one battle and completely hosed all my inheritance plans but killed 3 different kings and essentially destroyed their countries in civil wars. GOTY

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kagon posted:

Crusades getting called against you really are no joke. Playing as the Dhunnunids (emirate of Toledo), I had a crusade called against me for Galicia. The Catholics managed to muster around 70k men to land in Galicia against my and my allies 30k. It's been a total meatgrinder for the crusaders though- all of the Muslim commanders have insane advantage (my sultan has 39 before factoring in holy warrior). Most of the stable European countries have imploded and been torn apart as leaders get killed in battles. The HRE has practically been destroyed and replaced with mega-Frisia. I lost 9 dynasty members in one battle and completely hosed all my inheritance plans but killed 3 different kings and essentially destroyed their countries in civil wars. GOTY

My strategy for uniting Iberia was a lot more straight forward. They crusaded me for Castille, I let them have it. Then I chewed off chunks of Castille bit by bit in retatliation while Europe slowly became too fragmented by internal conflict for anybody to notice. :eng101:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I unlanded the Pope a while ago in my Italy/Romanga game, so there's been no head of faith in a long time and Catholicism's fervor has tanked. I want to create my own faith for kicks, but I can't find a decent guide on how that works. I have a bunch of questions...

Can I only make a new Christian faith since I am currently Catholic? Is there a way to become only "astray" instead of "hostile?"

If I take the tenet that makes me and my heirs Heads of Faith, do we get money/indulgences from members like the Pope would? [edit: looks like this was answered as I was typing this]

Are any of the beliefs I can add particularly good/bad/interesting? The cannibal belief definitely qualifies as "interesting."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anomandaris posted:

The Pope is seriously broken in this game, as I suspect is any head of faith with the Communion doctrine (the one that allows you to sell indulgences for cash). The (Catholic) Pope had about 100000 gold after ~200 years of the game's start and any Crusade would almost auto-win since he'd buy all the mercenaries in the world for it.

Yeah, I just got a claim on the Papacy and decided to go for it. I didn't realize the Papal army was the loving Borg, jesus christ. At least I got out of it without serious losses.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

My strategy for uniting Iberia was a lot more straight forward. They crusaded me for Castille, I let them have it. Then I chewed off chunks of Castille bit by bit in retatliation while Europe slowly became too fragmented by internal conflict for anybody to notice. :eng101:

I think this is absolutely the smarter thing to do. I felt my zealous warrior sultan wouldn't go for that, so time to teach everyone a lesson

Also I'm appreciating how many of these captured crusaders are willing to embrace Islam and be my faris instead. Turning their best warriors against them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Fortunately I only had to deal with one defensive crusade - the second time it fired, I sailed down and unlanded the pope which canceled it out (screenshots elsewhere in this thread). But that first crusade emptied my 6500+ gold coffers in an instant. Or more like over the course of 10 years because my god do defensive crusades never loving end.

Now the asatru pope is the one crusading on the continent, and it's a lot nicer on the aggressive side let me tell you. By this point catholicism is basically a non-factor in my game, there hasn't been a pope in many years (though the post still exists so one might suddenly reappear I guess?).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anomandaris posted:

Even without indulgences he gets pretty crazy income; I saw him with 55 gold per month.

I think the vast influx of gold may be related to this value in the defines:

code:
THEOCRATIC_LESSEE_INCOME = 6 # The yearly income that a theocratic lessee has to improve provinces is multiplied with this
Which seems like it's saying theocratic leaders just get 6x as much gold as their nominal income.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I just got a claim on the Papacy and decided to go for it. I didn't realize the Papal army was the loving Borg, jesus christ. At least I got out of it without serious losses.
I had to attack after he had already raised his troops and mercenaries and sailed off in a crusade. Worked pretty smoothly. The 20,000 troops of mostly mercs were difficult to defeat in previous attempts.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the more i play and think about it the less i like the embarkation system. its really a cop-out and it facilitates extremely bad AI behaviour like using it as dunkirk circa 867 AD and allowing really stupid wars to be level-pegging and making intercontinental alliances viable instead of rare. im sure the king of scotland would love an alliance with byzantium but it shouldnt happen because it should be prohibitively expensive in gold and men to sail 10k men from constantinople to meath. but the AI doesnt take that into consideration and theyll happily spend 4 months sailing across the known world to make the alliance happen

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
So I get my brand new computer, install CK3, eager to play...then after 20 minutes my graphics card overheats and hard locks the machine :(. Also playing at 1280x1024 is pretty miserable, so a new monitor may be in order after I get the current issue sorted. From what I did manage to play however, I think I will enjoy it a great deal.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Anybody notice their spymaster actually stopping plots when set to defensive? I've had some very high skill/high opinion spymasters but I don't think I've ever seen them discover murder plots to my family. Or are they stopping all kinds of stuff that I never get informed of? Is it better to just have them always on hostile schemes or secrets?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chewbot posted:

Anybody notice their spymaster actually stopping plots when set to defensive? I've had some very high skill/high opinion spymasters but I don't think I've ever seen them discover murder plots to my family. Or are they stopping all kinds of stuff that I never get informed of? Is it better to just have them always on hostile schemes or secrets?

From my understanding of how plots work in the game, you cannot actually "stop" them. What it does is instead make them more likely to be discovered (which gives a significant penalty to success chance), reduces plot power (which makes it take longer to fire), and has a chance of discovering agents involved (which gives you a chance to arrest them and reduce plot power and success chance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
my court physician just "healed" my gout by cutting my leg off

thanks buddy!