Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So assuming that translation is close to correct Devils are the actual metaphysical concept of the thing that they are named after and erasing the being that represents humanities fear of something erases it from humanities collective conscious and I think from existence itself. Boy I'd love to hear Pochita try and explain all of this to Denji as a cute chainsaw dog.

Also I love that some of the things mentioned by Makima are things that don't exist. That is such a good touch.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Chainsaw Man = Doomguy confirmed, I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

So assuming that translation is close to correct Devils are the actual metaphysical concept of the thing that they are named after and erasing the being that represents humanities fear of something erases it from humanities collective conscious and I think from existence itself. Boy I'd love to hear Pochita try and explain all of this to Denji as a cute chainsaw dog.

Also I love that some of the things mentioned by Makima are things that don't exist. That is such a good touch.

...Which doesn't exist? Nuclear weapons? I'm pretty sure nuclear weapons still exist.

Just because something's killed less people than Mount Vio's eruption doesn't mean it stopped existing.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i think he means the ‘Zoa’ and ‘anolon syndrome’ that makima references

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm actually disappointed by this, I didn't expect this to happen, but here we are.

Giving the chainsaw devil the ability to eat something out of existence just doesn't make sense.
It doesn't fit with his theme at all. We've seen that all his powers and abilities were chainsaw based, like moving around or holding people still. And then, he can eat stuff out of existence.
It's not even a weird or disgusting and original manifestation of his abilities like Mashima's control manifesting as someone's guts being wrapped around their necks or Bomb flying around with explosions.

Beyond that, I'm digging Mashima even more now.

So I guess she's just a devil then?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

...Which doesn't exist? Nuclear weapons? I'm pretty sure nuclear weapons still exist.

Just because something's killed less people than Mount Vio's eruption doesn't mean it stopped existing.

Please don't gaslight me, next you'll say it's fine if I let my kids look at the Southeast Star.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I'm actually disappointed by this, I didn't expect this to happen, but here we are.

Giving the chainsaw devil the ability to eat something out of existence just doesn't make sense.
It doesn't fit with his theme at all. We've seen that all his powers and abilities were chainsaw based, like moving around or holding people still. And then, he can eat stuff out of existence.
It's not even a weird or disgusting and original manifestation of his abilities like Mashima's control manifesting as someone's guts being wrapped around their necks or Bomb flying around with explosions.

Beyond that, I'm digging Mashima even more now.

So I guess she's just a devil then?

Disappearing devils must be an acquired power after they started fearing him.
Now that Makima can remember them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Wouldn't surprise me if all the Devils/concepts that the Chainsaw Man ate would come back if he died/something would cause him to vomit. Like he's a walking Pandora's Box or something. It just seems like something like this would fit this manga.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Really disappointing that Chainsaw devil hadn't eaten the Star Wars devil and Makima's goal wasn't to revive it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

EmmyOk posted:

I think the question is still why do devils care if you make those sacrifices. Can they use life force that’s given up?

devils find it extremely funny to see a guy kill himself in their name

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. That was a lot of plot explained though with an obvious contradiction. Maybe it's just the translation.

Lots of potential for tasteless designs for some of those lost devils.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Darth Walrus posted:

My thoughts exactly.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
New chapter
Using nazism as an exemple of erased stuff from human collective memory was extremely bad, should've stayed with old recognizable events and made up ones (AIDS also)

and

Darth Walrus posted:

:getin:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 11, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope there’s a flashback of him fighting the Nazi devil because I have to see what that even looks like.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I thought that using Nazis as a thing that has been erased from the past, present and peoples memories is a shocking revelation, since it implies that WW2 either got retconned out of reality so to say or it got retconned into happening very differently. This, along with the fact that the concept of nukes got erased too, means this is an extremely alternate history world Chainsaw Man takes place in now. It'd be interesting to see a world map of Chainsaw Man's world, since something tells me its very different than ours.

This chapter had some very cool world building stuff to me, the person who loves overthinking fictional worlds.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

RatHat posted:

I hope there’s a flashback of him fighting the Nazi devil because I have to see what that even looks like.

Like this, but a wolf and a swastika.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So we were assuming that "opening the door" would be transformation, a full grasp of his powers. Later we assumed it was his memories and what that would do to his mind. What if the pandora's box thing is, you know, actually what he means?

What if the contract allows Denji to release all that consumed by the chainsaw back into the world? Devils are the power of a perceived threat and the chainsaw obliterates them from being a threat til they cease to exist at all, but maybe she's really messing with things out of her control here?

Just a theory. This chapter is kinda oddly contradictory. Beam seemed to imply there's a more specific wish in mind, not general worship.

Also people did say they believed it implied the world didn't exist like this until relatively recently. This kinda hints at that. I kinda think there's more going on anyway. Like I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of all this we find out Makima is just loving lying nonstop, just constant lies, like they're not even her dogs level lies

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I took it as everything she mentioned is real but the chainsaw devil erased it including the two not real things included.There’s no alt history more-so as theres history deletion going on for all its implications

Edit: maybe the zoa and andolon syndrome are plot relevant things that help explain devil man and/or hybrid humans

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 11, 2020

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
”The four fates besides death at the end of life” is some real “bwuh?” poo poo. It’s just so far outside of human comprehension

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

”The four fates besides death at the end of life” is some real “bwuh?” poo poo. It’s just so far outside of human comprehension

Yeah it's so good.

So with this chapter I really want to go back and see if we've seen Denji eat any devils while in his Chainsaw Man form.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Ethiser posted:

So with this chapter I really want to go back and see if we've seen Denji eat any devils while in his Chainsaw Man form.

Tomatoes no logner exist

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
:stare:

This is a real fuckin wild comic book.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I just want Kishibe somehow to pull through, however vanishingly unlikely that is

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All Denji needs to do is eat the Death Devil, then all his friends come back and it turns out this was a prequel to Immortal Hounds all along.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So like, Chainsaw Man ate the AIDS devil. So did the AIDS virus just vanish from existence? If CM ate the Gun devil, would guns cease to exist? Would humanity be able to reinvent guns? If he ate the Death Devil, would everything stop dying? Would people just forget about "death" and then when they see someone die, it's this huge revelatory thing? When the Nazi Devil (or Holocaust Devil, whatever) got eaten, was all references to Nazis and the Holocaust erased from history books and movies and such, I wonder?

This is so fuckin wild, I love this series so much

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I feel like some of this is going to be the translation of Makima's info dump but I think that all of it exists physically, just the fear of that thing doesn't exist anymore. The devils being the fear of said thing, makes me feel like when they are erased then the fear of whatever it is goes. We're not nearly as afraid of nuclear weapons now as society was in the 50s, and there are any number of things cultures used to be afraid of that we just aren't afraid of any more. The stronger devils are things that people are far more afraid of now on a day to day basis.

TL;DR: Chainsaw Man ate the Holocaust devil so now we got neo-nazis, probably. :/

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Robviously posted:

I feel like some of this is going to be the translation of Makima's info dump but I think that all of it exists physically, just the fear of that thing doesn't exist anymore. The devils being the fear of said thing, makes me feel like when they are erased then the fear of whatever it is goes. We're not nearly as afraid of nuclear weapons now as society was in the 50s, and there are any number of things cultures used to be afraid of that we just aren't afraid of any more. The stronger devils are things that people are far more afraid of now on a day to day basis.

TL;DR: Chainsaw Man ate the Holocaust devil so now we got neo-nazis, probably. :/

Yeah I feel like this needs clarification via another translation. However, it really seems like Kishibe doesn't even remember that the holocaust happened, or what the Nazis even were. It comes off like all of humanity's memories of what the devil represented were erased, if not the entire concept of the thing itself. After all, if eating the AIDS Devil only removed humanity's memory of AIDS, then suddenly we'd be shocked by this crazy new disease showing up that nobody knows how to deal with, and we'd be back at square one of that crisis, and eventually a new AIDS Devil would appear as humanity begins to fear it again. Maybe by eating the AIDS Devil it does indeed erase AIDS from existence, so that there can never ever be another AIDS devil. That doesn't quite explain how things would work with man-made fears, such as guns. It may very well be possible that the laws of physics would shift to make it so guns couldn't exist.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Edit: I reread it like 3-4 times just now and those panels seem to directly imply that if he eats the Gun Devil, guns will literally just have never existed which just loving what. Also, how the gently caress did Pochita happen because there's a lot of poo poo he erased before Denji showed up.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 11, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what happens if Chainsawman eats Power? Do humans just become full of sawdust?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

So what happens if Chainsawman eats Power? Do humans just become full of sawdust?

Lmao I hadn't thought of that. Presumably we'd uhh...have our biology replaced so that we don't need blood nor anything similar to blood. I kind of guess for HUGE changes like this (and something like Guns having never existed) the history of humanity would change, but not in such a way that the present day is meaningfully different. Wars had been fought with melee weapons and bows, of course! Your neighbor who once sold guns always sold crossbows, what's this "gun" thing you're talking about?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Isn't it just the memory of such things no longer existing? Like it still happened it just gets removed from the collective consciousness

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jerkface posted:

Isn't it just the memory of such things no longer existing? Like it still happened it just gets removed from the collective consciousness

That doesn't really make sense either though. Okay, humanity forgot about nukes. Until someone goes "hey what are these weird bomb things we have?" and then suddenly nukes are back on the table.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Some of the things Makima listed are not things that would just go away if people all forgot about them.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe they're forgotten and cease to exist from that point forward in time. So nukes vanish as do the memory of them but the victims of them are still dead.

The devil's vanishing doesn't seem like a long-term viable thing. Like does humanity just keep making up other things to be afraid of.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Thankfully Chainsawman ate the Plot Hole devil before the start of the series.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
What if Chainsaw Man ate the Shonen Jump Cancellation Devil... the implications are staggering

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I gotta say I did not have "Chainsaw Man is the shonen protagonist of Hell" on my bingo card. Makima just being a fan of his while hoping to use him to remove suffering from the world is a pretty sweet motivation, even if it wasn't really foreshadowed. Also jesus the intestine noose thing being the shonen protag scarf is incredible.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I think it's more like that scene in Westworld "there's nothing there" the things just... stop existing for humans, you don't perceive it anymore and your cognition just does whatever mental gymnastics necessary to accommodate your new beliefs.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

ZZZorcerer posted:

I think it's more like that scene in Westworld "there's nothing there" the things just... stop existing for humans, you don't perceive it anymore and your cognition just does whatever mental gymnastics necessary to accommodate your new beliefs.

What happens if he eats Makima? Or Darkness? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Another thing is that AIDS is gone, not HIV. Try and parse how that would work.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 11, 2020