Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I've also considered this but haven't taken the plunge because, uh...seems like a problem if the current job actually ramps up and then both jobs are demanding your time and wondering why you're not delivering.

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it though...

I've thought about it as well but I'm too cowardly (and too lazy) to "take the plunge" (AtKSTD)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A couple guys I work with run small consulting/MSP type shops, but it's not a fulltime thing. My job tends to ebb and flow a lot. I didn't really do anything from April to August, and we go into change freeze Thanksgiving to the 2nd week of Jan, but some of the times between I can get really busy. This week was a 60 hour week. I don't mind though because over the course of a year I come out way ahead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I've also considered this but haven't taken the plunge because, uh...seems like a problem if the current job actually ramps up and then both jobs are demanding your time and wondering why you're not delivering.

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it though...

I would imagine that you would consider one place your primary employment. That work and those meetings always get priority.

I am not saying I have any experience with this *wink wink* but it always has its risks. Generally you run into small issues with what the hell you do with your linkedin and how you want to roll the dice with your moonlighting gig's chops in contacting your current employer.

In my experience, the higher up in money and titles you go, the more free time you have and the less micro managing you receive. Its basically the fat getting fatter.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

I would imagine that you would consider one place your primary employment. That work and those meetings always get priority.

I am not saying I have any experience with this *wink wink* but it always has its risks. Generally you run into small issues with what the hell you do with your linkedin and how you want to roll the dice with your moonlighting gig's chops in contacting your current employer.

In my experience, the higher up in money and titles you go, the more free time you have and the less micro managing you receive. Its basically the fat getting fatter.

The last part is exactly why I think this may be viable at the moment. Hell, I know my manager is spending all day renovating a house with his son and no idea what the director is doing. I speak to management for 1 hour on Mondays as a weekly deal and a handful of emails the rest of the week.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This is purely apocryphal since confirmation won't ever be forthcoming, but three guys in my company were put on leave and them terminated for unexplained reasons last spring. All of them were people who had once performed at a high level. Rumor has it they all got caught moonlighting, and that once HR had proof in hand, things moved very fast. So if you do start moonlighting, make sure you keep on top of whatever you consider to be your primary job, and make very very sure you don't use anything visible to your primary employer as part of your moonlighting.

I still resent those guys - not because they were moonlighting, but because they weren't covering their responsibilities, and left the work for the rest of us even before they got canned. I have no objection to making money in the unused portions of your time, but don't let it screw your coworkers.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Check your contract and/or employee handbook; many places have rules about moonlighting to be aware of.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I charge the CEO $200 each time I got to fix his kids laptops. My moonlighting gigs are employees kids loving their poo poo up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

I charge the CEO $200 each time I got to fix his kids laptops. My moonlighting gigs are employees kids loving their poo poo up.

One nice perk at the ad agency was being able to charge a bottle of single-malt, 12-year minimum, for working on personal machines. That got me on to Island scotches when the president of the agency's wife dropped a Jira 15 on my desk.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Work from home really destroying my dating life of HR people and marketing folks for sure.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GreenNight posted:

Work from home really destroying my dating life of HR people and marketing folks for sure.

Screwing HR before they can screw you. Why didn’t I think of this.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I've been realizing lately that I really just want to go home and watch and do the same old familiar stuff, at first I figured maybe is because this just happens as I get older, but I'm starting to think its coming from being so fried at work. Between becoming effectively the person people escalate the hard problems to, trying to learn as much as I can to keep on top of everything, and the utter chaos that resulted from several clusterfucks that happened starting December, I just really don't want to experience unfamiliar unpredictable things all that much in my free time anymore.

Is this a thing any of you have experienced?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Burnout warning sign?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

Check your contract and/or employee handbook; many places have rules about moonlighting to be aware of.

Of all the things to care about this is the last one on the list.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
i'd be way too stressed about a major incident happening at both my jobs and having to juggle them to be moonlighting. plus i'm way busier since wfh too. i have no breaks anymore and my lunch is slamming a pot noodle and some whey and then getting back to work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

i'd be way too stressed about a major incident happening at both my jobs and having to juggle them to be moonlighting. plus i'm way busier since wfh too. i have no breaks anymore and my lunch is slamming a pot noodle and some whey and then getting back to work.

Well the point is that the second job can suffer. You are allowed to be a bad employee you know. Other people are bad employees at one job.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

klosterdev posted:

I've been realizing lately that I really just want to go home and watch and do the same old familiar stuff, at first I figured maybe is because this just happens as I get older, but I'm starting to think its coming from being so fried at work. Between becoming effectively the person people escalate the hard problems to, trying to learn as much as I can to keep on top of everything, and the utter chaos that resulted from several clusterfucks that happened starting December, I just really don't want to experience unfamiliar unpredictable things all that much in my free time anymore.

Constantly.
Sometimes followed by finding a new and expensive interest and subsequent retail therapy.

It's probably early burnout warning signs. If taking a long vacation doesn't work (it usually causes more problems for me than it resolves) then multiple short vacations (like a day here and there) might help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

For sure. This is burnout. Try to take a break if you can and then see if you can solve some of the things that you feel are always on your shoulders. Easier said than done, but we all have a tendency to get in a day to day rut and not focus on moving things off our plates permanently.

I have always used the metaphor of "I'm in an airplane during an emergency, I need to put my mask on before helping others." If you are one of the people on your team who can best help others, make sure you help yourself first so you can free up more time to help them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mllaneza posted:

One nice perk at the ad agency was being able to charge a bottle of single-malt, 12-year minimum, for working on personal machines. That got me on to Island scotches when the president of the agency's wife dropped a Jira 15 on my desk.

Imagine the disappointment of expecting a Jura whisky and getting an Atlassian bug tracker issue

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I tried being a consultant to small businesses and it was very blegh, lots of issues like not having name server access because they were fighting with a business partner and stuff like that. Always some dumb problem and not enough money to make my time worth it. I'll deal with soulless corporate nonsense instead, thanks.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Woof Blitzer posted:

I tried being a consultant to small businesses and it was very blegh, lots of issues like not having name server access because they were fighting with a business partner and stuff like that. Always some dumb problem and not enough money to make my time worth it. I'll deal with soulless corporate nonsense instead, thanks.

In the early 00's I did website design on the side as my main job was working for a hosting company. So I'd also take care of domain reg and setting up their hosting account which I also made commission on.

Until everyone discovered FrontPage. Then my job was trying to talk them though changing an image source from "c:\John\website%20pictures%20%20.jpg"
or resizing some picture they scanned at 300dpi and 640x480 resolution. And the hit counters. "Can't you just make it say 1000? It will make us look better!" and trying to explain that yes, your site is secure when someone puts their CC number into a form that is sent via email, that's all in clear text.

I really feel for those people that do support at places like SquareSpace or GoDaddy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Screwing HR before they can screw you. Why didn’t I think of this.

Just don't pick up a bad habit like stealing food from the fridge.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ansible pull is neat. I've been playing around with it at home for a potential problem at work.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

LochNessMonster posted:

job requirements: hands on experience with linux.
coworker: you didn't document how ssh works.

I have a coworker that always goes into my documentation (for example, our azure traffic manager configs) and adds poo poo like “Step 1: browse to https://www.portal.azure.com and login”

God forbid what will happen to him when I get this stuff moved into terraform.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I have a coworker that always goes into my documentation (for example, our azure traffic manager configs) and adds poo poo like “Step 1: browse to https://www.portal.azure.com and login”

God forbid what will happen to him when I get this stuff moved into terraform.

This might not be the best example.... but for someone who doesn’t use something every day, this can be a big help.

“Where the gently caress am I supposed to perform these steps? Hrm maybe in the settings page. Hrmm maybe it’s in the user profile. Oh wait it’s here on the dashboard, you have to right click on the traffic icon. Oh and you have to be logged in as the master admin account and not just a user account with privilege...”

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
A boomer at work wrote a guide on how to send emails in outlook. It has closeups on the highlighted new email button, with no context of where to find the button. There's like 20 articles for things like 'how to reply to email', 'how to forward email'.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bob Morales posted:

This might not be the best example.... but for someone who doesn’t use something every day, this can be a big help.

“Where the gently caress am I supposed to perform these steps? Hrm maybe in the settings page. Hrmm maybe it’s in the user profile. Oh wait it’s here on the dashboard, you have to right click on the traffic icon. Oh and you have to be logged in as the master admin account and not just a user account with privilege...”

My team is required to write change requests this way as the person writing up the request is not always the one that will be doing the work. We have an independent group of mostly non technical people that review the changes and if you do not add things like this, you won't get approval.

It sounds tedious but when you are working midnight-4am maintenance window its nice to just follow the steps and not have to think about it. It also keeps some team members from say poo poo like, "yeah but I never deal with $Service so can't you just sign in tomorrow night and do it?"

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

Ansible pull is neat. I've been playing around with it at home for a potential problem at work.

I once upon a time built a horrible autoscaling monstrosity in it; due to the nature of how ansible runs serially vs chef/puppet, it means your playbooks have to be perfect. It also just poo poo the bed randomly too.

I liked it for what I needed, but after a certain complexity it starts to really show its limitations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

freeasinbeer posted:

I once upon a time built a horrible autoscaling monstrosity in it; due to the nature of how ansible runs serially vs chef/puppet, it means your playbooks have to be perfect. It also just poo poo the bed randomly too.

I liked it for what I needed, but after a certain complexity it starts to really show its limitations.

Oh I can see that for sure. For me, I'm using it as a kind of cloud init because I'm sick and tired of how crappy VM handling is on UnRAID and now that I'm WFH I'm using VMs a lot more for testing.

It just created my standard login with SSH keys, updates the system with yum, disabled root login, and a few other things.

I'm also using it to record my deploy box config and dot files so I have a reusable playbook with everything in it (macOS is really loving annoying when it comes to gnu tools being ancient and dealing with finding them in brew).

But yeah I can see how you'll need to be perfect. I managed to use vagrant to automatically provision with the local.yml to test before I commit to git and merge the branch so I get a relatively good idea as to whether the playbook will fail. I'm also thinking of using molecule but that's kind of a headache in its current form.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1305297585255657476?s=20

This will end well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao Oracle, wow

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, are they going to charge users per core of every device that views a video?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

bull3964 posted:

So, are they going to charge users per core of every device that views a video?

Don't forget Retroactively and send the bills to your house

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Installing TikTok now also installs Java and an unrelated browser search extension that is now your default. Yes, on your phone.

edit.

Bonzo posted:

My team is required to write change requests this way as the person writing up the request is not always the one that will be doing the work. We have an independent group of mostly non technical people that review the changes and if you do not add things like this, you won't get approval.

We do click-by-click documentation for GxP documentation like an Installation Verification or end-user facing stuff. For documentation supposed to be followed by someone technical all I'll say is "Move the system into $oneSpecificOU" or "Download and run the installer with defaults, except for this one bit." Everyone I deal with is at least an L2 tech, and my team is supposed to be able to handle weird and undocumented vendor setups, so if they can't figure that out, it's time to "git gud". And on my team, it's time to git gud at git. Because we script. :colbert:

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 14, 2020

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Today, I am trying to get a project started - I went and got IT leadership approval, but finance said hang on wait until the new FY. IT said you should already have Finance approval what are the delays. Finance said you need to follow the IT process before you do anything.

Everyone is in agreement that the project needs to go ahead, yet I had to call a meeting of the minds to get that established.
Considering the salaries around that table, that was a very expensive half hour for everyone to say 'we are happy go ahead'

Such is life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are you guys using for MDM on company-owned Chrome OS devices?

Turns out BB UEM can't do MDM, just email.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We’re using VMware Workspace One for UEM. They switched from intune about a year ago. Not my department, but I guess it works alright.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Holy crap, just got a demo of the new Group Policy analytics in Intune that rolled out for everyone this weekend, from the guy that’s been working on it with MS for the last 3 years.

Export all your GPOs, upload them into the tool, and it will tell you what CSPs you need to apply, which ones can’t, etc. Soooo much better than an mmat report that may not even capture everything. Where the hell was this a year ago when we were rolling out intune for workstation management?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

Holy crap, just got a demo of the new Group Policy analytics in Intune that rolled out for everyone this weekend, from the guy that’s been working on it with MS for the last 3 years.

Export all your GPOs, upload them into the tool, and it will tell you what CSPs you need to apply, which ones can’t, etc. Soooo much better than an mmat report that may not even capture everything. Where the hell was this a year ago when we were rolling out intune for workstation management?

:gizz:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devmd01 posted:

do you have a link or do I have to go googling this early in the morning because that sounds awesome and we are in the process of rolling out intune now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/fundamentals/in-development#analyze-your-on-premises-gpos-using-group-policy-analytics-preview