Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Funny that it was done in 2006 when Jackie Chan already did the freezer door thing and the fridge door thing plus the fridge rack thing and also that thing where you catch a thrown TV using a fridge before obviously doing the thing where you trap a guy inside a fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

Funny that it was done in 2006 when Jackie Chan already did the freezer door thing and the fridge door thing plus the fridge rack thing and also that thing where you catch a thrown TV using a fridge before obviously doing the thing where you trap a guy inside a fridge.

Hell even Michael Mann had James Caan during the home invasion in Thief IIRC.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah looking at it more now oh my lord what were they thinking. Like Halloween Jack posted it really is one of those Black Belt Magazine THIS IS THE REAL poo poo scams. Given that it was Batman it would have been interesting to see if they did show the whole thing how the world would have reacted, like would we be seeing tons of keysi places in strip malls instead of Tiger Schulmanns? The Dark Knight had a restrictive suit too but I remember the action in that felt like a good balance, it has a lot of the same issues of folks waiting around for Batman to do a move on them or whatever but still a step up.

The action overall in The Dark Knight is good because a lot of it has nothing to do with hand to hand fighting. Like, Batman dropping down onto the hood of the car is really really cool but doesn't require anyone to do flashy martial arts movies while in the bulky suit. Or all the stuff with the Batmobile.

The actual fighting in TDK really is not good. Especially in hindsight now that we have seen the direction action films have gone since 2012. Kingsman and John Wick both came out two years later(not to mention The Raid before them, which arguably had the most influence of them all) and there's a different expectation now for those kind of scenes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The simple fact is that if folks truly only care about the stunts, then we can abandon movies entirely and switch to raw behind-the-scenes footage.
I would have enjoyed the scenes more if the finished product looked more like this, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oso4iQFuAzM

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah looking at it more now oh my lord what were they thinking. Like Halloween Jack posted it really is one of those Black Belt Magazine THIS IS THE REAL poo poo scams. Given that it was Batman it would have been interesting to see if they did show the whole thing how the world would have reacted, like would we be seeing tons of keysi places in strip malls instead of Tiger Schulmanns?
No, because they tried it and failed. I don't have any inside knowledge of Keysi, but it seems that their genius was in marketing themselves to Hollywood instead of consumers, since MMA and YouTube have made it harder to pass off martial arts scams. When they started doing seminars at MMA gyms, everyone laughed at them and it all fell apart.

quote:

The 2006 movie The Sentinel has a lot of this. There's an "amazing" point where Michael Douglas has to escape a house or whatever and to get the drop on someone he opens a freezer door in someone's face. And I'm sad I can't find a clip of it on YouTube because it's really shot like a massive game changing moment out of nowhere with how plainly the rest of the movie is presented with super choppy slow motion and everything.
The thing is that these scenes are just old Jackie Chan bits, but grimdark.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The only time Keysi looked ok on screen was mission impossible 3 when the bomb gets activated in Tom Cruise's head and he is grabbing his head in pain while fighting. And I am not even sure if they were purposely using it or just scripted the fight scene around him being in pain.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

The actual fighting in TDK really is not good. Especially in hindsight now that we have seen the direction action films have gone since 2012. Kingsman and John Wick both came out two years later(not to mention The Raid before them, which arguably had the most influence of them all) and there's a different expectation now for those kind of scenes.

The fight in DKR with Bane is good because literally everything besides the actual choreography is good. The setting is awesome, the decision to just go totally diagetic with the soundtrack was very strong, the plot context brings incredible tension, and the centerpiece is Hardy's weirdo lilting Bane dropping bon mots like "let us not stand on ceremony, MR WAYNE" and "victory has defeated you" while Bale ramps up his desperate intensity to maximum. Great scene, despite the fact that the actual choreography is middling-to-poor.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

I would have enjoyed the scenes more if the finished product looked more like this, yes.

That really does look better. I can't remember how it was in Civil War but in the first two Cap movies the sound mix was fuckin' awesome and did a lot of work for the scenes. Like when Cap running knees Winter Soldier into the van the shot isn't as cool as the angle they show it from in the stunt clip but in the moment even in the finished film it comes off really well.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The fight in DKR with Bane is good because literally everything besides the actual choreography is good. The setting is awesome, the decision to just go totally diagetic with the soundtrack was very strong, the plot context brings incredible tension, and the centerpiece is Hardy's weirdo lilting Bane dropping bon mots like "let us not stand on ceremony, MR WAYNE" and "victory has defeated you" while Bale ramps up his desperate intensity to maximum. Great scene, despite the fact that the actual choreography is middling-to-poor.

It was so good, it's bad to rewatch because it really sinks in how Batman was in this near death enlightenment pit for weeks and finally pushes himself in such a hardcore way and so he can return to defeat Bane by...walking up to him throwing a few haymakers chipping off his little mouth pipe thingies. Like poo poo, Killer Croc would have just thrown a rock at Bane's face and ended him the first time around.

Someone needs top design some outfit/material combination that lets someone look like Batman but also do something like the Raid hallway fight

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 11, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/rDuetklFtDQ

Here’s the first Bane vs Batman fight. I love that it takes the piss out of Batman and I love whatever the gently caress Tom Hardy does with Bane physically and with the voice.

I do agree while the choreography of the fight may be wanting, the psychology of what’s going on and how it’s filmed imo works to intended affect

I agree with regards to the second fight, coregraphically I don’t see some kind of improvement after his time in the pit

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 11, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Someone needs top design some outfit/material combination that lets someone look like Batman but also do something like the Raid hallway fight
In theory, Batman has conquered his own weaknesses, learned to fight fearlessly but think tactically, and defeats Bane with the same trick he used against Ra's--disarming him with his bracers. In execution it looks like he just throws haymakers until he gets lucky.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

But that is not at all an accurate representation of how stuntmen work. There’s all kinds of trickery (and even with that, parts are very unpolished at this stage).

The point is that Jackie Chan is extremely talented, but what he’s talented at is doing two or three cool moves at a time - over and over and over again - until they get the take that ends up in the actual film.

Losing sight of that, we get these two extremes where, on the one hand, it’s imagined that ‘good’ actors are doing these incredibly elaborate ten minute chase sequences for real and, on the other, ‘bad’ actors need six cuts just to make it appear that one arm is moving. Neither of those things is true at all.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

CeeJee posted:

Bey Logan
Sorry, I know this is a few pages back, but do you guys like Bey Logan? I tried listening to his commentary on Hard Boiled, and turned it off a quarter of the way through. I couldn't stand it, it was just this dude endlessly telling you where every actor came from and every other movie he's in. Drove me crazy, I wanted to hear production info and narrative examination, not just an imdb actor's page read aloud to me.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
So I think what Jackie Chan is really good at is knowing what he is good at when it comes to stunts and fighting/choreographing an awesome scene around it. His really good fights have a flow to them that requires the camera to be zoomed out to have an actual appreciation for what he is doing. Matt Damon might have known the moves and been able to do them well but the Bourne movies were shot in a way where the fast cuts made sense (and even then I don't think they were that bad).

Now the taken movies are an example of horrible cuts to make up for the fact that the star is like 90 years old with no fighting experience.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Narzack posted:

Sorry, I know this is a few pages back, but do you guys like Bey Logan? I tried listening to his commentary on Hard Boiled, and turned it off a quarter of the way through. I couldn't stand it, it was just this dude endlessly telling you where every actor came from and every other movie he's in. Drove me crazy, I wanted to hear production info and narrative examination, not just an imdb actor's page read aloud to me.

Putting aside the accusations of sleazy personal behavior, no I don't like him as a commentator at all. Dull as poo poo.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Dog_Meat posted:

The Bourne films kind of fall between the genres where they want to be seen as dramas/thrillers rather than pure action, so the filming is geared more towards a dramatic audience than an action audience. While I'm watching thinking "drat, I really wanted to see that move from a better angle" my wife is watching and thinking "this is a desperate, fast fight for our hero".

I'm not 100% convinced, but I think this is a good point.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Putting aside the accusations of sleazy personal behavior, no I don't like him as a commentator at all. Dull as poo poo.
I don't know anything else about it, but that commentary was so bad. But, I guess finding out a dude in a position of even a little bit of power is dirty is not shocking anymore, which is really lovely, when you think about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

midge posted:

Crank 2 leans too far into straight up gross out poo poo and doesn't really have anything new to offer over 1.

tbh, I kind of feel like the original Crank is way grosser, it's just more subtle about it. a lot of why I like Crank 2 is because the overtly gross aspects of it are, by and large, taking something that was subtly gross about the first one, exaggerating it to the point where it becomes surreal, and flipping the subtext on its head so that, even if it's too ridiculous for me to truly call it progressive, it's certainly not offensive anymore.

like, the first one has a scene where Chev essentially rapes Amy Smart. it's not framed as rape, she "enjoys" it, and the movie basically just blows right past it, but it's very obviously rape to anyone who's paying even a slight amount of attention. Crank 2 takes almost the exact same set-up for the scene, and has Chev still act like a sex pest out of desperation to keep his heart going... but instead of a "cool, fun" sex scene, he starts rubbing himself against an old grandma and making a complete rear end of himself, and Amy Smart's character takes over and basically emasculates him in the process of loving him back to life.

the first one has Chev be the "only real white man" in a world of horrible racist and homophobic stereotypes and constantly treat every one of them like absolute poo poo while stomping all over them. Crank 2 isn't any less broad or stereotypical in its depiction of minorities, and in fact, exaggerates it to levels that the first one couldn't even dream of... but then has them constantly be the ones to pull Chev's rear end out of the fire, portrays their weird qualities as fun and sympathetic rather than an object of mockery, and looks down hard on Chev for not realizing that they're basically carrying his dumb white rear end.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bourne movies were always lame. Cranks were entertaining at least.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As spy thrillers they're really very good, I enjoy them a lot. I don't watch them for the action.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To make the Jackie Chan fridge post I watched the hideout fight from Rumble in the Bronx again to make sure I didn't forget any of the good stuff and it's pretty much the shoe thing SMG was talking about. Tons of great inventive and skilled moves but they are all done individually and cut together quickly, there aren't any sequences where the camera hangs back far and wide and lets him do his thing for a while.

He even does what I've seen him chide other movies for, where the punch and impact/reaction are separated as two different shots. The guy he punches isn't in his shot at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

B-Rock452 posted:

So I think what Jackie Chan is really good at is knowing what he is good at when it comes to stunts and fighting/choreographing an awesome scene around it. His really good fights have a flow to them that requires the camera to be zoomed out to have an actual appreciation for what he is doing. Matt Damon might have known the moves and been able to do them well but the Bourne movies were shot in a way where the fast cuts made sense (and even then I don't think they were that bad).

The thing to keep in mind here is that you’re talking about fight choreography and/or stunt coordination. On the Bourne films, that’s obviously not Matt Damon - it’s Jeff Imada.

And then, fight choreography isn’t really closely tied to how a scene is shot or edited. You obviously need some awareness of how the camera is positioned for a given shot - but, at its most abstract, the fight choreography for a given sequence will be the same regardless of whether there’s one cut or one million cuts. (The discipline originated in live theatre, where there’s obviously no cutting at all.)

So, when people ITT talk about “the action” as something that exists independent of anything cinematic, that’s what they’re talking about. But the vital thing to understand is that this “pure action” doesn’t actually exist as something you can watch. The choreography is only a set of instructions.

This stuff also gets mixed up with other things, like the editing, or the execution individual stunts. So, although we’re theoretically talking about fight choreography, nobody’s comparing the work of different fight choreographers. Instead, we’re comparing Paul Greengrass’ editor to Liam Neeson and stuff like that.

It’s also worth noting that Jackie Chan wasn’t a fight coordinator on Who Am I?; he was credited as one of four or five stunt coordinators on that film. That’s a similar job, but the difference in the name tells you the difference in emphasis. The Dark Knight also doesn’t have a credited fight choreographer.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I signed up for Redbox a few weeks ago to stream Bad Moms for $2 and they kept sending me free rentals, so I'm a Redbox guy now. I also watched Escape from Pretoria, which is not an action movie but it is a prison escape movie and it was tense and enjoyable.

Rogue (2020) - 3.5/5, Redbox DVD
An unheralded gem. I had no expectations going in, and used a free Redbox rental to pick this up. I did not even conceive of what I was going to see on the screen.

The plot seems totally standard for a direct-to-video action movie, at first, but then some insane plot beats kick in and lead to some of the truly worst CGI I have ever seen. And they aren't like "blink and you miss it" effects, they continually get several minutes of screen time throughout the movie. I was going wild.

The gun action is excellent, the body count is extremely high, and the CGI is in service of "A Message."

Rogue is ANIME. Rogue is also unquestionably one of the best action movies of 2020.

Underwater (2020) - 2/5, Redbox DVD
Visually interesting, and was able to jump-scare me some, but overall not in a genre that particularly interests me. It wasn't an action movie.

Also, even though I don't watch horror movies much at all, it felt like this was the absolute most by the numbers plot progression possible. Did not feel like there was any new ground broken here.

congrats to dude for getting out of the newsroom and into the mariana trench

Beckman (2020) - 1.5/5, Redbox DVD
OF COURSE I am going to spend one dollar to rent a CHRISTIAN ACTION MOVIE from Redbox. I could not resist. I expected one of the worst movies of the year. And honestly, this was far better than that.

Obviously, the Christian angle of the story was a drag on it, and you have to sit through some literal sermon scenes in the first half hour. But the movie also does not hold back on the violence at all. I counted four on-screen kills, including several where you see bullets going into people. There were multiple fight scenes that were both well-choreographed and well-shot. Credit to Monte Perlman and G-Rod for their work. I enjoyed myself for the bulk of the movie's runtime.

Billy Baldwin was also great chewing up the scenes with his over-the-top character. The biggest problem with the movie, other than the Christian elements, was that they didn't have the budget to do any practical gun effects so it's all badly computer-generated in post. Unfortunately far too common these days.

So if I'm going to give other low-budget action movies something of a pass for complicated backstab plots where my eyes glaze over trying to figure out the story they're telling, I am willing to grant the same exception to a movie where my eyes are instead glazing over a the story of Moses or whatever. I do not regret spending one dollar to watch Beckman.
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1304819100376543233

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A Twitter convo with a friend about "what's the most forgettable movie you've ever seen?" led me to look up Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever on YouTube, on the grounds that I knew I'd seen it but could remember literally nothing. The big chase scene that came up is basically one of my nightmares given form: that somehow, I would get the chance to direct a big-budget action film... and it would come out as lethargic and disjointed and dull as Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever.

Seriously, watch it. The supposedly high-speed motorbike chase is filmed largely in long, wide static shots, making it painfully clear that everyone involved is doing about 15mph and taking great care not to get remotely close to anything else nearby. It even makes cannon-flipping cars look boring.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jinnigan posted:

Has anyone seen that Mulan film because I really need to bellyache about how miserable that action is

I saw the 15 second clip of the arrow scene at the end. loving terrible.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

NVM

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 13, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A clip of The Final Master was posted a while back and made me watch it, and it's an extremely dope blend of classic wuxia choreography with a very arthouse sensibility for moviemaking. This is exactly the kind of movie I was looking for. Give me more modern, non epically scaled kung fu movies about rival schools, nerding out about fighting styles and masters teaching students the ancient arts.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

A Twitter convo with a friend about "what's the most forgettable movie you've ever seen?" led me to look up Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever on YouTube, on the grounds that I knew I'd seen it but could remember literally nothing. The big chase scene that came up is basically one of my nightmares given form: that somehow, I would get the chance to direct a big-budget action film... and it would come out as lethargic and disjointed and dull as Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever.

Seriously, watch it. The supposedly high-speed motorbike chase is filmed largely in long, wide static shots, making it painfully clear that everyone involved is doing about 15mph and taking great care not to get remotely close to anything else nearby. It even makes cannon-flipping cars look boring.

I remember it mostly for being the first movie I ever saw that was actually taking place in Vancouver. And that the villain's plan was to convince Antonio Banderas his wife died and vice versa. Which must have been some weird funerals as the villain needs to carefully make sure half the family and friends go to either one and hope none of them ever mention it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just watched Get The Hell Out and while not the most inventive thing in the world, has some solid action and some cute fourth wall breaking gimmicks. It's also one of the only action films I've seen where the primary martial art is pro wrestling moves. Are there any others like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HCVDOOnFlU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
In one of the action movie montages i watched on youtube (it helps me get to sleep, i cannot explain this) there was an interesting looking clip from an asian action movie. A guy with a shotgun is facing off against a whole heap of Armoured SWAT guys and using a blend of martial arts and the shotgun to keep knocking them down. It was only a brief clip, but it looked drat interesting, anyone know what I might be describing?
https://youtu.be/3YVZWgo2-OE?t=594 It's this one. 9:54 in case the time thing doesn't work.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I believe that movie is called Ajin: Demi Human

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Ha, I watched this video the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-qajd9LEw and was also wondering what the clip at 14:00 is from. Turns out, it's basically the same scene you were talking about.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Ha, I watched this video the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-qajd9LEw and was also wondering what the clip at 14:00 is from. Turns out, it's basically the same scene you were talking about.

Those are weirdly relaxing, right? It's not just me? Please tell me it's not just me.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It's not just you. That's extremely satisfying.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Now THIS is action
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1305876360947216384

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I recall From Dusk till Dawn having done the punch-shot stunt earlier, plus the scene is cloaked in a very watchable movie!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

dokmo posted:

I believe that movie is called Ajin: Demi Human

That's an anime, at least according to netflix, and that same movie is quoted a lot the shooty ASMR clip and I was wondering where it came from.

Snowman_McK posted:

Those are weirdly relaxing, right? It's not just me? Please tell me it's not just me.
Finally some ASMR I can get behind.

It's funny how often the same sounds are re-used though, some fun different gunshots but a lot of the same clanky clanky is re-used. And drat the clips from mysterious shotgun movie are awesome.

Also, not to be creepy, but at one point there was a shot of 90's Gina Gershon I didn't recognize and I can't find it again.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 15, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
New Adkins episode debuts soon. Can't say I've heard of the guest, I think he's someone that works with Gareth Evans.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's a live chat with Donnie Yen tonight at 9:30pm EST on Instagram Live if anyone's interested.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Action essentials blood lmfao.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Basebf555 posted:

New Adkins episode debuts soon. Can't say I've heard of the guest, I think he's someone that works with Gareth Evans.

gently caress, this episode rules, Jude is like a stunt encyclopedia. Also that Fatal Termination clip... :eyepop:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
If anyone has an interest in Hong Kong action don't sleep on the Jude Poyer episode. He's a stuntman and choreographer and this isn't a normal interview episode, instead he breaks down great stunts from HK action flicks, including the 3 Moon Lee films and the most insane stunt involving a small child I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Olympic Mathlete posted:

gently caress, this episode rules, Jude is like a stunt encyclopedia. Also that Fatal Termination clip... :eyepop:

That's quite something. It must have been too much for some as there is a 1h53 'full' Fatal Termination on Youtube and almost all of that scene was cut out.