Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

fauna posted:

it brings me no joy to remind everyone that edward cullen initially became a vampire because he was dying of spanish flu

Okay if it really brought you no joy you wouldn't have done that.

ruddiger posted:

That last season was so good too. Monarch moonlighting as the Green Hornet Blue Morpho was probably some of the best moments of the show’s entire run.

And now it’s over.

Last season was amazing, but the show wasn't canceled because it was bad, or because it was unpopular, or because it was too expensive to make. No one involved in making this show wanted to stop making it, the only reason it's gone is because of a dispute over streaming rights.

Thaaat's capitalism! (Laughtrack)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

My opinion of Pattinson did a complete 180 from when I was a teenager. Dude's real decent.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 9, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aces High posted:

sounds like a good excuse to not have to wear pants at the office, I'd do that too

Gondor has no pants. Gondor needs no pants.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Phylodox posted:

Gondor has no pants. Gondor needs no pants.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

bakshi is a force of nature

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

RE: Mulan a bunch of scenes were filmed in Xinjiang and the credits explicitly thanks the staff of the Uighur concentration camps which sure is a hell of a look on top of the pro-HK police statements by Liu YiFei and Donnie Yen
:stare:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

actually Walt probably was secretly a holocaust denier given that he was an antisemite and Nazi sympathizer (e: ACCORDING TO HEARSAY of course) so I guess it's on brand with the company's legacy

loving woof

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 10, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

This will do little to improve my opinion of the live action Disney remakes

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, hey, Don Bluth is starting up a new studio dedicated to making 2D animation.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/studios/don-bluth-launches-new-studio-to-usher-in-renaissance-of-hand-drawn-animation-196399.html

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
language warning! beep

but it's the thread! :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AY7mioAeC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stkXGc-yGco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkV1LaA3_zw

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 11, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you ever need a reference for what being a cultist of a lovecraftian horror is like, watch a Toy Story movie

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

please elaborate

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

If you ever need a reference for what being a cultist of a lovecraftian horror is like, watch a Toy Story movie

paradoxGentleman posted:

please elaborate

Not my post, but I'm pretty sure I know what they mean because I've had that exact same thought.

Basically, you're totally devoted to a being that isn't even aware you're alive or capable of thought and uses you in whatever way it wants while giving you nothing in return.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Exactly that. The toys also still, despite their gods obliviousness, attempt to curry its favor because it is capable of granting them attention and status even if it doesn't understand that it is doing so.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
No wonder they all rose up in anger and killed their Gods then turned into sentient cars or whatever the fuckin Pixar theory says lmao

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I feel like the toys should be alive WHEN andy is playing with them, like it's his imagination. The other way is just silly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Andy can only judge his toys and favor them based on the characteristics the toy was constructed with and therefore have no control over. He literally cannot assess them based on their personalities, values, or actions. Andy can literally only favor the toys based on arbitrary criteria.

And yet Andy's love is the most important thing in the world to them.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
They shot toy story four to look like real like with hyperreal lens simulation and a million lights. On the one hand this create kind of an interesting metatextual aspect, on the other hand if said light affect is only possible through billions in computer infrastructure, eh

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idiots spent hundreds of millions making toys look real when they could have just done it with stop motion and actual toys on a robot chicken budget

For my next essay I’ll talk about how lion trainers on minimum wage could have made for a much cheaper live action Lion King

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Idiots spent hundreds of millions making toys look real when they could have just done it with stop motion and actual toys on a robot chicken budget

For my next essay I’ll talk about how lion trainers on minimum wage could have made for a much cheaper live action Lion King

Honestly, really I would have preferred a movie that was just footage of real lions doing lion things.

I mean look at these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rc-bpXnBxU

:3:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love dem ❤️ω❤️

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXetmwVZA38

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Lions are just really big cats

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I mean, yes

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw278FwplA4

:3:

.....Oh right this is the animation thread, better post a cartoon too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElcEMabhoU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched Toy Story 4 the other day and when 3 came out someone made a point about how the toys go further and further in each movie. In the first going downstairs is a huge deal with major stakes. Then they start going outside and to a bunch of locations. By 4 they’re basically breaking the primary rules of toy-dome and going where ever they want and even endangering humans. It’s a decent movie but it stretches the reality of the world so much that you can’t believe that no one has figured out that toys are conscious. Especially when whenever a makeshift toy is created it doesn’t know it needs to follow rules and tries to throw itself away.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I wonder if Bo Peep ever had a complex when she first became aware after Andy took her from his sisters lamp to play with. "I'm not a toy Woody... I'm a decoration. It's all fine for you, you're made of cloth, but I'm porcelain! The first time Andy messes up and drops me? I'm DONE!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you realize that you were a decoration and not a toy do you become inanimate

I mean the fork proves that if somebody perceives you as a toy you become a toy, so if you realize that you're not being perceived as it oh gently caress I don't know

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

If you realize that you were a decoration and not a toy do you become inanimate

I mean the fork proves that if somebody perceives you as a toy you become a toy, so if you realize that you're not being perceived as it oh gently caress I don't know

The rule seems to be that once a child plays with you then you become a toy and thus self-aware. In addition, once you have become self-aware you don't go back to being unaware even if you go back to being used as decoration.

Thus, Bobeep having been played with by Andy and Molly, gained sentience and continued to have it even once she went back to being treated as just a lamp (and thus decoration) by the antique shop.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

for a short period when i was a child my favourite "toy" was an empty orange juice bottle, but then my mother and her friend turned it into a bong and i caught them in the act of smoking it and it's a major childhood memory for me

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

disney you can have that plot point for free

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bong Story where everything being used for weed gains sentience and forced to live the Megg Mogg and Owl existence

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
*clears throat, leans too close to microphone*

Sex Toy Story

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
4 AA batteries to make Buzz buzz

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Thus, Bobeep having been played with by Andy and Molly,

This made me think about how if Woody and Bo Peep had a kid they could be named Cowboy Bopeep

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sir Lemming posted:

This made me think about how if Woody and Bo Peep had a kid they could be named Cowboy Bopeep

I think it’s time to blow this scene. :stonklol:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The rule seems to be that once a child plays with you then you become a toy and thus self-aware. In addition, once you have become self-aware you don't go back to being unaware even if you go back to being used as decoration.

Thus, Bobeep having been played with by Andy and Molly, gained sentience and continued to have it even once she went back to being treated as just a lamp (and thus decoration) by the antique shop.

But all the Buzz Lightyears in Toy Story 2 are alive prior to being played with so clearly the metaphysics of the series deserves closer study

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

But all the Buzz Lightyears in Toy Story 2 are alive prior to being played with so clearly the metaphysics of the series deserves closer study

I would say that's because they were based on a popular TV character in that universe and as such they all come pre-equipped with his personality and mannerisms but then again Woody was also based on a TV show and remembered nothing until he actually watched it for himself.

Speaking of which, was that Buzz Lightyear cartoon Disney made any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Larryb posted:

I would say that's because they were based on a popular TV character in that universe and as such they all come pre-equipped with his personality and mannerisms but then again Woody was also based on a TV show and remembered nothing until he actually watched it for himself.

Speaking of which, was that Buzz Lightyear cartoon Disney made any good?

It's been many years since I've seen it, but I remember liking it.