Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I chose to live in a smaller town in saskatchewan because I thought it was cheap while I was working from home. I chose the only place in the world whose home values have decreased over the last 4 years.

I'll never get those 3 years of my life back.

do not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah I mean I’m speaking from the position of earning more than my house is worth each year and being far from anything.

it’s easier if you grew up there and have family and friend in place.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

most of the 25-to-40 techies i know live with roommates and pay 2000-2500 or so for their share of the place.

lol god Silicon Valley and the whole Bay Area is such a shithole. well they were great until it was 50% overpaid 30 year old man children with roommates

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s mega cool how an industry like tech is so spatially bound.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/waEMD/status/1304469547055890432

I had to run some errands this morning and it's awful even walking outside.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/waEMD/status/1304469547055890432

I had to run some errands this morning and it's awful even walking outside.

yeah, it was bad at 10 in the morning and it's way worse now. somehow the local coffee shop had their doors open (so that people wouldn't have to touch the handles) but uhhh they have a hand sanitizer right there, would rather deal with a tiny inconvenience than loving with everyone's lungs and eyes, especially the employees that are in that poo poo for hours.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

psiox posted:

yeah, it was bad at 10 in the morning and it's way worse now. somehow the local coffee shop had their doors open (so that people wouldn't have to touch the handles) but uhhh they have a hand sanitizer right there, would rather deal with a tiny inconvenience than loving with everyone's lungs and eyes, especially the employees that are in that poo poo for hours.

I saw a couple of places that kept their doors open to vent air. Why invest in a box fan when you can just torture your min wage employees I suppose.

There was also a huge line at Ikea. Out of all days I have 0 idea why people would stand in line outside for hours Today to purchase some lovely Swedish designed furniture.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
seriously, ikea +/-1week of labor day is dumb as hell in a non-hellyear anyway

and lol apparently the AQI is 50 points higher now than it was 2 hours ago, great

https://twitter.com/AaronMannari/status/1304531496959606784

which forced me to see some other local seattle toots about some more antimask protestors and oh god won't cascadia just drag us all into the sea already

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus, 171 here? guess that explains why it's grey outside despite being 27 C and sunny

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kazinsal posted:

jesus, 171 here? guess that explains why it's grey outside despite being 27 C and sunny

it was like 450 in sacramento earlier this week lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol if you go outside today

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

PokeJoe posted:

lol if you go outside today

only to buy coffee and booze

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MononcQc posted:

yeah I mean I’m speaking from the position of earning more than my house is worth each year and being far from anything.

it’s easier if you grew up there and have family and friend in place.

yeah depends a lot on the city, and if you want to be there in the first place.

glassdoor and levels.fyi shows about a $20-30k salary differential for the bay area for my job, those sites are usually a little out of date and have low estimates, but that applies to both salaries so i feel like i have a pretty good idea what i would make out there doing similar work.

thats not gonna get me anything near the lifestyle i have in austin. add in that i have friends and family here and it just doesn’t make sense. i have a nice place in a downtown hi rise and money left over for fun and travel.

i talk to recruiters in the bay area sometimes but it’s just never been enough to make me really excited about moving out there.

I definitely like california and i can understand why people want to live there, i end up traveling there a lot to visit the parks and the ocean. i usually plan my vacations around escaping the july-september heat but covid means “that is not possible just now”

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

late but i mean, this is normal af

ive relocated multiple times for companies and for me its usually been a raise, due to moving to a more expensive area?

if you leave the bay (most expensive cost of living possible practically) and go to your family ranch in Muncie, Indiana, yes, that's gonna be a fuckin pay cut lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

but why? the only justification is that your cost of living is lower. you're making the company the same level of profit. the only person who benefits is the company at your expense. "That's just how it is lol why would you expect less" is some bullshit defeatist justification of getting ripped off. Just because it's happened to you a few times doesn't mean it's good or acceptable

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DuckConference posted:

A 10-15% paycut after moving to a place where cost of living is half is still a pretty big gain.

Why would I choose to move somewhere with half the cost of living of where I live know, knowing that I’m going to lose a lot of poo poo I enjoy like live theater or professional sports?

You get what you pay for. I don’t think the people who keep yelling that remote work = mass relocation to rural areas understand the value of impulse in entertainment. I don’t need to make special plans to see live theater or hockey or baseball; I just walk out of my office and do it.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kazinsal posted:

I've thought about this vis a vis the fact that I'll probably never be able to achieve home ownership in vancouver but then I realized that, yes, I could go buy a house in bumfuck saskatchewan for an even hundred grand and work from home forever but then I'm pretty sure that'll result in my currently-in-check depression and anxiety will go hardcore back into suicidal tendencies, and frankly, I'd rather not revert to the years of my own brain trying to murder me

This

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PokeJoe posted:

but why? the only justification is that your cost of living is lower. you're making the company the same level of profit. the only person who benefits is the company at your expense. "That's just how it is lol why would you expect less" is some bullshit defeatist justification of getting ripped off. Just because it's happened to you a few times doesn't mean it's good or acceptable

it's the other way around

they pay premiums to attact talent into their home offices in very expensive cities, and when they operate in multiple cities, these have different premiums attached to successfully keep talent in those higher cost places

when you leave the expensive place, your expensive place stipend also goes away

its not a pay cut at all, the tweet just phrased it that way - its people leaving The Bay Area, which is notoriously mega expensive and impossible to keep talent in

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Why would I choose to move somewhere with half the cost of living of where I live know

why do anything

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im not like Capitalism Defender 2000 here or anything i'm just calling out that it's in no way pay cuts for the poor tech workers, boo hoo

its bay area spoiled rear end people getting their Bay Area Bonus cut back when they willfully leave the place that led to that compensation adjustment

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Methanar posted:

why do anything

I live where I live for a reason. Cities will not be shut down forever, and having a world of entertainment at my fingertips is worth the cost.

I could move back to the town I grew up in, work remotely, and buy a palace for $100k. I’ll have nothing to do except hang out at Walmart on the weekend and no one to be around except white trash meth heads.

I’ll pay to stay in the city, even during a pandemic.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sniep posted:

im not like Capitalism Defender 2000 here or anything i'm just calling out that it's in no way pay cuts for the poor tech workers, boo hoo

its bay area spoiled rear end people getting their Bay Area Bonus cut back when they willfully leave the place that led to that compensation adjustment

Losing that compensation adjustment fucks the rest of us though

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
rotor annoys me but he is 100% right when he says that being able to channel excess VC money into his pocket helps us all.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

update yospos set scab = 'True' where username = 'Sniep' ;

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lmao @ ever defending worker pay cuts.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

rotor annoys me but he is 100% right when he says that being able to channel excess VC money into his pocket helps us all.

that i can agree with 100%

all i was saying is that the language misrepresented the reality of how that CoL comp adjustment poo poo works, it's not a punishment it's a revocation of a bonus issued solely To Be In A Certain, Expensive Place

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
there's plenty of places to fight for better compensation and benefits but trying to eliminate the cost of living adjustment to come into super expensive cities is a weird place to do it

i guess im just used to it after decades of it being the normal thing that happens constantly idk

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sniep posted:

that i can agree with 100%

all i was saying is that the language misrepresented the reality of how that CoL comp adjustment poo poo works, it's not a punishment it's a revocation of a bonus issued solely To Be In A Certain, Expensive Place

if i get a paycheck in palo alto or wherever, does the stub define the 10-15% CoL bonus?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i guess i am defending this only because in my experience i keep going to more expensive cities, and as such, my pay goes up a bit to help match, and it feels natural to get a little boost of pay when im in a more expensive place

and by logic the reverse would just simply be true ??? idk im just talkin it out

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

that's totally true. but im sure you can also agree that sort of "bonus" logic is the sort of weasel poo poo companies have to underpay people.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

if I add 1 million/year in valuation to a company, and im paid 250k for the privilege, unless my location is critical to the value I provide to the company I hope im paid 500k

but I sure as poo poo dont want to be paid 200 just cause a beer at the local bar is $5 instead of $7

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i just think a pay cut should only be justified if the company is losing money or needs to downsize for a legitimate reason. working remotely to escape death by fire shouldn't matter

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im also full of poo poo and underpaid people cause they first threw out low numbers so dont listen to anything I have to say

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i talk to recruiters in the bay area sometimes but it’s just never been enough to make me really excited about moving out there.

I definitely like california and i can understand why people want to live there, i end up traveling there a lot to visit the parks and the ocean. i usually plan my vacations around escaping the july-september heat but covid means “that is not possible just now”

not being subject to the texas government and texan law seems like a good idea

in california you get paid maternity and paternity leave which is nice, for example. whereas texas is trying their hardest to outlaw women's clinics because they sometimes do abortions

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah that's mostly my stance, too. it's important that ms jones (and little jones, had he been a girl) have access to women's health. it's also important that the state legislature isn't trying to kill my child if he is gay, trans, or belongs to any other minority group that the right has decided isn't worthy of life.

don't get me wrong, california has a lot of problems of its own, but the political stuff is very important for us and these considerations don't leave us with a ton of options outside of the coasts (read: expensive places)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Roosevelt posted:

they could afford to pay you before, they can afford to pay you now. remote work is still the same work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

power botton posted:

if I add 1 million/year in valuation to a company, and im paid 250k for the privilege, unless my location is critical to the value I provide to the company I hope im paid 500k

but I sure as poo poo dont want to be paid 200 just cause a beer at the local bar is $5 instead of $7

the fallacy here is that this begs the question that people in tech are paid an amount commensurate to the value they bring to the company, where the reality is that you are paid enough, and only enough, that you do not quit

They would absolutely try paying you $1 a year if you kept producing for them (and indeed on the intern level that's exactly what they do)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like yes its expected but it's still a garbage idea. Whether I work remotely from Des Moines or SF it should pay the same.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you don't pay me with a certain "standard of living" that you get to adjust to suit your liking, you pay me a salary, in US dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeeeeeeeeep. my employment agreement doesn't say "a 500 square foot apartment, one cheap motorcycle a year and a quarter of weed a week", it has a dollar number.