Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm with Paradox, I don't want to deal with naval units for any reason. Boats have never been fun in any strategy game not Literally About Boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm with Paradox, I don't want to deal with naval units for any reason. Boats have never been fun in any strategy game not Literally About Boats.

:hmmyes:
But they need to represent the how these guys got into boat slapfights somehow.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TotalHell posted:

Game still owns though, specially because I can say things like “Khanate of Bulgaria.”

In CK2 I have a fond memory of declaring what would become known as "The Second Sunni Jihad for Bavaria"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That's odd. I checked the code, and it looks like a soulmate spouse gives -500 success chance to seduction schemes targeting them. But I've caught them in adultery several times.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Fervor just seems to have some odd aspects that need tweaking. It sucks that a religion is basically doomed to implode once it gets big enough - you can't stem the tide of heresies appearing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Strudel Man posted:

That's odd. I checked the code, and it looks like a soulmate spouse gives -500 success chance to seduction schemes targeting them. But I've caught them in adultery several times.

Pre-existing Lovers perhaps?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Vassal exclave rules are necessary for curbing some of the exclave nonsense that always happens. I always played with them turned on in CK2

The problem is, it's an extremely brute force solution, which obviously doesn't even work that well as currently implemented. If they really want to do it right, they need to work it into the rest of the game's rules, make exclave vassals and counties have big opinion/levy/tax penalties, increased independence demand, and so on, so they can fall away more naturally, instead of just automatically breaking away on succession. Although of course you also have to make them harder to hold on to in war for the ruler, which means it has to be harder to get armies there, which means moving troops overseas has to be harder, and teleport-raising all your troops 1000 miles away shouldn't be possible...

(that last one reminds me of the EU4 problem where colonies are way too hard to break away, because it's just so easy to just dump 100k troops all the way down in Indonesia or whatever)

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Agreed. I don't want to have to deal with two separate combat systems. Just add some events that trigger when your troops are embarked, or even combat events if your embarked troops are in close proximity to enemy ones. They could still expand the current system by adding modifiers and ways to decrease the cost of embarking, increasing the speed, etc. Like you could giving Vikings significant naval modifiers when raiding so they zoom along the map far faster than anyone else and such. I think you could still give a lot more flavor/differences without having to add an entire combat system.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Pre-existing Lovers perhaps?
I don't think so, it's sometimes a decade or more after the relationship is established...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I absolutely hate that it creates kingdoms and spins them out as independent when you die on Confederate Partition. It kinda ruins the game for me and while I know there are some extremely gamey ways around it I just wish it was like CK2 and didn't exist.
Especially down in Africa where there's a kingdom every few steps so you have to either try and weave your way around creating them by accident OR rush and rush to get to the emperor title before you die.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

DrPop posted:

Fervor just seems to have some odd aspects that need tweaking. It sucks that a religion is basically doomed to implode once it gets big enough - you can't stem the tide of heresies appearing.

I think it's pretty good in theory, the idea is that heresies spread faster, and "stick" a lot more, since they convert faster and are harder to convert back. But of course the big hegemonic religion should still have the advantage in terms of holy wars, hostile lieges, and just pure numbers. It probably just needs some balance tweaks

In CK2, heresies never got anywhere, because they would just immediately get converted back almost as fast as they could appear, unless you turned on the slower conversion rule, so I think that's what they're trying to address

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Also, hyper-focusing on a single type of man-at-arms (in my case, pikemen/landsnechts) seems pretty effective. Stackwiped an army 4x my size with only 30 deaths. (The 36 appears to be an error, when I look at the detailed breakdown)

Pikemen/landsknechts were absurdly overpowered in CK2 and I assume that didn't change.

One of my frustrations with CK2 is how opaque and needlessly complicated the combat system was... I'm not sure that this is an improvement. Did that enemy army cross river to attack your army uphill or something?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

twistedmentat posted:

They must have a high rank of crown authority because if i just straight up declare war on them, that brings the whole kingdom down on me.

If you have high crown authority you straight up cannot declare war at all on your fellow vassals.

I think what you are seeing is that whomever has the holdings you want has Allies in the kingdom, specifically the monarch.

My guess would be the person you are attacking is married to a close family member of the king, or vice versa.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

eXXon posted:

Pikemen/landsknechts were absurdly overpowered in CK2 and I assume that didn't change.

One of my frustrations with CK2 is how opaque and needlessly complicated the combat system was... I'm not sure that this is an improvement. Did that enemy army cross river to attack your army uphill or something?
They attacked me at a farmlands castle, but really, I think the army composition is the strongest factor there. Thanks to building effects my landschnecks have 134 damage and 123 toughness; they can make mincemeat out of levies, but the AI doesn't realize that their numbers count for very little, especially with front size in mind.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Taear posted:

I absolutely hate that it creates kingdoms and spins them out as independent when you die on Confederate Partition. It kinda ruins the game for me and while I know there are some extremely gamey ways around it I just wish it was like CK2 and didn't exist.
Especially down in Africa where there's a kingdom every few steps so you have to either try and weave your way around creating them by accident OR rush and rush to get to the emperor title before you die.

It's not really new, tribal gavelkind worked the same way in CK2. You should get claims on any title that leaves your realm, so get to work killing your siblings. There can only be one

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gathering huge swaths of land as tribals is extremely easy, so I think them having to fight tooth and nail to keep it once succession comes is fair tbh.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I kinda miss transport boats ala CK2, but at the same time it's nice to be able to play a landlocked region and still be able to contribute stuff you'd want boats for.

I think I mostly just dislike 50 day embark times when I'm raiding.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think they did a good job with progression in this game, which is rare for a strategy title imo. Things are crazy early on, tribal realms can be super powerful, but as time goes on and feudal realms tech up and get new succession options and tribals have to try to modernize things slowly become more stable.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

can anyone recommend a good starter to learn about playing as a Muslim?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

It's not really new, tribal gavelkind worked the same way in CK2. You should get claims on any title that leaves your realm, so get to work killing your siblings. There can only be one

It didn't. The big difference (the game spoiling difference for me) is that in CK2 if you didn't make the title then nobody could inherit it.
So you'd be able to keep hold of most stuff, you couldn't directly rule stuff most of the time but you'd be okay.

You can't do that in this as it just creates the title and hands it out. Also in CK2 changing the laws wasn't quite as much of a struggle!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Strudel Man posted:

Also, hyper-focusing on a single type of man-at-arms (in my case, pikemen/landsnechts) seems pretty effective. Stackwiped an army 4x my size with only 30 deaths. (The 36 appears to be an error, when I look at the detailed breakdown)

I would like to be able to do this! I had been going with a combined arms approach but I suppose it makes sense to specialize in one thing (plus siege weapons)?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

if you type 'yesmen' into the console and press enter the AI will always do what you say so you can just declare war and then press claims. should be faster than cheesing the game and manipulating bad design and AI

strong bird
May 12, 2009

you can also do 'give_title prefix_title' if you know the name of the area you want to take and thats definitely quicker but it doesnt give you the fame. but you can just type 'prestige 5000' and youll be good

strong bird fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 12, 2020

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eimi posted:

Has anyone done the needful and made a mod where you can buy a dog or cat yet?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2225025550

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would like to be able to do this! I had been going with a combined arms approach but I suppose it makes sense to specialize in one thing (plus siege weapons)?
I definitely think specialization is significantly better. Probably the thing that cinches it is that 'countering' depends to some extent on numerical parity between the countered and the countering troop types. Even when my ultra-focused force faces a few armored footmen, their damage only drops to 98% or so, an essentially meaningless reduction compared to the benefits I receive from concentrating on a single military building type.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

strong bird posted:

if you type 'yesmen' into the console and press enter the AI will always do what you say so you can just declare war and then press claims. should be faster than cheesing the game and manipulating bad design and AI

I'm playing Ironman otherwise I just cheat everything and playing becomes a total waste of time.
All I want to do is stop this random woman inheriting the kingdom of Mali (as that's a HUGE one and a big chunk of land) because she doesn't seem particularly related to me at all and if I kill a bunch of people I can't get it back without actual warring.

Like I have my two sons who I can just disinherit, that's fine. But confederate partition doesn't just give it to your direct relations it goes right down the tree - this lady is a cousin of my current ruler apparently.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I do that, is there an appreciable difference between using 5 MAA slots for 100 soldiers each, or 1 MAA slot of 500?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Taear posted:

It didn't. The big difference (the game spoiling difference for me) is that in CK2 if you didn't make the title then nobody could inherit it.
So you'd be able to keep hold of most stuff, you couldn't directly rule stuff most of the time but you'd be okay.

You can't do that in this as it just creates the title and hands it out. Also in CK2 changing the laws wasn't quite as much of a struggle!

It was restricted to tribes, but in CK2 this is absolutely how tribal gavelkind worked. It created titles even if they didn't exist yet. The solution is still the same though, declare on your brothers and take your poo poo back!

TBH I always kinda liked it, because it means succession isn't just some automatic, polite legal proceeding, you've gotta wage a proper succession war if you want what's yours

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Absolutely required mod, thank you.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I kinda miss transport boats ala CK2, but at the same time it's nice to be able to play a landlocked region and still be able to contribute stuff you'd want boats for.

I think I mostly just dislike 50 day embark times when I'm raiding.

It is insanely harsh. Like I get that they wanted to make raiding less annoying to deal with as the victim, but it takes forever to get on the drat boats again as a viking, they could half the time and it'd still be long.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

It was restricted to tribes, but in CK2 this is absolutely how tribal gavelkind worked. It created titles even if they didn't exist yet. The solution is still the same though, declare on your brothers and take your poo poo back!

TBH I always kinda liked it, because it means succession isn't just some automatic, polite legal proceeding, you've gotta wage a proper succession war if you want what's yours

It definitely didn't, because I always played as tribes! It only gave out titles you'd created.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I do that, is there an appreciable difference between using 5 MAA slots for 100 soldiers each, or 1 MAA slot of 500?

No, it costs exactly the same. The only difference is that with 5 slots of 100 soldiers each, you eat up all your MAA slots.

Technically you would have the extremely minor advantage of being able to split them up in the field but it's not really worth it.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Taear posted:

It definitely didn't, because I always played as tribes! It only gave out titles you'd created.

It only happened if you used the elective gavelkind law. Regular gavelkind as a tribal would give the same result as feudals, yeah.

A lot of tribals started with elective gavelkind, so I can see why they were confused.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
where is the discord?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

super-redguy posted:

It only happened if you used the elective gavelkind law. Regular gavelkind as a tribal would give the same result as feudals, yeah.

A lot of tribals started with elective gavelkind, so I can see why they were confused.

Oh yeah, I forgot there even was a non-elective option. (I guess I never understood why you'd want to switch though, since tribal elective basically just automatically picked the biggest, strongest, handsomest boy from amongst all your sons, it seemed pretty good to me)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

super-redguy posted:

The biggest shame is that lithuanian tribals had a special law where elders voted for their successors. So you didn't have gavelkind at all!
That's gone now though.

I think it'd bother me less if it wasn't such an ENORMOUS ballache to swap out of. It's not just (and I say just even though it's hard) a case of reform religion, reform to feudal now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No, it costs exactly the same. The only difference is that with 5 slots of 100 soldiers each, you eat up all your MAA slots.

Technically you would have the extremely minor advantage of being able to split them up in the field but it's not really worth it.
Oh, that reminds me of a current annoyance with the army splitting - if I have two MAA slots with siege engines, and I split the army, it always keeps the siege engines together in the same army. :mad:

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, that reminds me of a current annoyance with the army splitting - if I have two MAA slots with siege engines, and I split the army, it always keeps the siege engines together in the same army. :mad:

This was the bane of my life during my late-game Doomstack Era

How do you split two in half and end up with 2 and 0 you madmen

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
At least an all-MAA army doesn't suffer any demobilization delays during war. I can freely teleport them anywhere within my territory.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
As Norse Brittany, I've had a disgusting amount of fun raiding Francia with elite Pikemen/Armoured Footmen + stacked Champion deathballs, leading to the Emperor himself trying to fight me and getting bodied with a little bit of strategy and luck. I managed to max out my prestige and piety from battles with the Karling bastard, while sending him and family into eternal debt hell.

And we're not even at war lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chewbot posted:

Anybody notice their spymaster actually stopping plots when set to defensive? I've had some very high skill/high opinion spymasters but I don't think I've ever seen them discover murder plots to my family. Or are they stopping all kinds of stuff that I never get informed of? Is it better to just have them always on hostile schemes or secrets?

Mine discovers stuff pretty regularly, I think it's a skill vs skill check+ whatever modifiers they/you have.

Me scheming with 35 intrigue and the scheme tree filled in results in 95s everywhere usually cause nobody has a good enough spymaster.

Make sure it's the highest skill guy you have, ideally that isn't vengeful or something or else you'll find him murdering you because you refused to be his friend when you were both 2.