Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Does euthanize by cut give the same bonus to meat and leather as standard culling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Coolguye posted:

e: also, for medical training on the rim, simply 'euthanize by cut' all tamed animals you intend to cull rather than 'slaughtering' them. doing a euthanize procedure grants 1k medical XP, which means a one-flame pawn will get to level 4 and be able to safely handle day to day trauma and bandaging in a reasonably clean room with only 10 euthanizations. any tamed animal that reproduces quickly is good for this purpose, chickens are best for obvious reasons.

Just gotta make sure you have a lot of herbal medicine, can't euthanize without it. The only time I bother with this level of medical training is in the early days of a colony, when those resources are likely to be strained.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Does euthanize by cut give the same bonus to meat and leather as standard culling?

No, the animal is just dead with a fatal neck wound.

Liz is also correct that you need herbal medicine to make it work, so if you’re in an area where growing is hard and arable land is at a premium maybe don’t throw that production at medical training unless you’re REAL sure what you’re doing.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
One trick for dealing with limited arable land, which I learned on my current playthrough which is a cold desert with a 20 day growing season and barely any soil, is to plant healroot (or beets if you're using vanilla plants extended) when the end of the growing season is getting close. The healroot will survive the winter, and you can take advantage of every second of viable growing time in late fall / early spring without worrying about cold snap threatening to ruin it.

Oh, also, if you use the moisture pump things (which I never bothered with before) and you're on the coast of a lake or sea, the reclaimed land is farmable. I got a small cluster of them slowly building out the coastline.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 9, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I've been using moisture pumps for the first time to clear away a bunch of marsh in my base, I wish that I had done this sooner. I also found out that you can put a moisture pump on a bridge, which is super cool and useful

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
No poo poo? Time to change my setup.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can put conduits on a bridge instead of waterproof conduits and trade 9 steel for whatever wood, which is usu a good trade

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

No poo poo? Time to change my setup.

Be warned, they take like 2 years to fully drain their projected area. But being able to turn worthless marsh into soil is pretty cool

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

QuarkJets posted:

Be warned, they take like 2 years to fully drain their projected area. But being able to turn worthless marsh into soil is pretty cool

If you have enough power+materials and don't mind exchanging efficiency for speed, you can just use multiple pumps.

If you have mods that let you move the pumps and/or recover more materials from deconstructing (or can afford to waste some components+steel+wood) you can make it even faster since the radius starts at 0, so the tile under the pump is immediately dried once the pump is powered. (Haven't heard of it changing since last I did this, but it might have gotten patched out. Even if it got changed to starting at -1 if you have a pump on every tile just leave 2 spaces between them and run for 2 weeks)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I just use a mod that makes them take roughly a season since theyre so tedious otherwise when usually I'm more concerned with getting rid of a spot of marsh or soft sand here and there so I can build pretty walls.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I approve of your username very much.
Thank you! May I ask why, though? It is a reference, but it's an oblique one I don't expect people to get.

Anyway, I downloaded those mods you guys recommended and they're a big help, so thanks.

Is there any way to tell what settlements have for sale before you go there? I lost two colonists to a manhunter pack (crazed wild boars are no joke) and would've really appreciated a new prisoner or two, but all I could think to do was load my caravan up with a bunch of survival meals and visit each of my three neighbors in turn. (None of them had people for sale :()

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can't see what they have, just I think whether their inventory changed since your last visit or the number of days until their next inventory restock

You can also try calling up friends on the comm console, make them bring a caravan to you.

I rarely ever actually see slaves for sale in any case, but I also don't make friends with hostile factions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I again strongly recommend the fertile fields mod, which while it includes some improvements to farming also includes some extremely good terrain modification features for just general landscaping of your environment. Labour intensive but fits well with the general theme of developing infrastructure for your base, IMO.

Plus it just makes intuitive sense that if you're willing to spend the time to do a lot of digging you can do stuff like dig moats and stuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is there a mod that lets you grow mushrooms inside caves? That feels more appropriate for a mountain base

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

QuarkJets posted:

Is there a mod that lets you grow mushrooms inside caves? That feels more appropriate for a mountain base

Underground Food adds a lot of shrooms, including some that produce cloth/neutroamine/wood/etc. Which can be cool if you want all of that stuff but the mod adds a fair amount of bloat

...so if you're just looking for food Growable Mushrooms simply enables planting Agarilux/Glowstool, but they take a long time to grow so if you want a reliable food source [FSF] Growable Mushrooms makes them plantable and adjusts their growing time and harvest yield to be more like regular crops.

Also Noku Mushrooms adds a mushroom that produces a meat-substitute.

All of these can be grown in soil or hydroponics (unless I'm misremembering) but the vanilla mushrooms have like 1% fertility sensitivity and 15% fertility requirement so they grow just as well in gravel as they do in hydroponic farms.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
is there a mod that lets my colonists take mushrooms and trip balls?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

CapnAndy posted:

Thank you! May I ask why, though? It is a reference, but it's an oblique one I don't expect people to get.

Anyway, I downloaded those mods you guys recommended and they're a big help, so thanks.

Is there any way to tell what settlements have for sale before you go there? I lost two colonists to a manhunter pack (crazed wild boars are no joke) and would've really appreciated a new prisoner or two, but all I could think to do was load my caravan up with a bunch of survival meals and visit each of my three neighbors in turn. (None of them had people for sale :()

Like most things you want in Rimworld, there's a mod for that - Settlement Inventory. You do need to have visited it at least once first or have a comms console.

Leal posted:

is there a mod that lets my colonists take mushrooms and trip balls?

Yes

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'll rep Vanilla Plants Expanded for your general farming needs, especially if paired with the other VE series (like cooking, brewing, etc.) I've used the other major farming mods (RimCuisine, VGP, FF, etc.) and they're all good choices too, but this one is more to my liking.

For underground in particular, Vanilla Insectoids Expanded includes some stuff that isn't just bugs, notably a mushroom that grows in caves that acts like a living sunlamp.

And, to really combine the two topics, there's Grub Farm, which adds farmable bugs you can grow underground for insect meat. Delicious.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was there an update or did I hit a special button? Why are my resources looking like this now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what mine always look like, I think there's an option somewhere for exploded view that doesn't categorize them but with mods you want them collapsed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Was there an update or did I hit a special button? Why are my resources looking like this now?

One of the buttons in the bottom right of the view area collapses everything into categories. Helpful when you have 50 different kinds of meat, 50 different kinds of fabric, and various other things. You should probably learn what they do.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Played from like build 13 or something and still have learned all those buttons, but thanks!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

One of the buttons in the bottom right of the view area collapses everything into categories. Helpful when you have 50 different kinds of meat, 50 different kinds of fabric, and various other things. You should probably learn what they do.

What would be helpful is to let me favourite specific materials to show at the top

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that lets you specify a quantity of an item to keep in a stockpile? I wonder if this is even possible within the game's code. I like using increased stack sizes and deep storage but I also want certain items in multiple locations for accessibility reasons. For example I want to keep one stock of herbal medicine in my drug lab and another in my prison, but the stack in the prison doesn't need to have more than 20 or 30. It would be nice if there was a "mini" stockpile you could use for instances like this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm a musicals geek.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is there a mod that lets you specify a quantity of an item to keep in a stockpile? I wonder if this is even possible within the game's code. I like using increased stack sizes and deep storage but I also want certain items in multiple locations for accessibility reasons. For example I want to keep one stock of herbal medicine in my drug lab and another in my prison, but the stack in the prison doesn't need to have more than 20 or 30. It would be nice if there was a "mini" stockpile you could use for instances like this.

I found one for 1.1 ([Remade+Updated] Stockpile Stack Limit), and comments suggest it works with 1.2.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Any tips for non-lethal takedowns of raiders, especially at range? I have a lovely entrance to my camp that opens into a wide outdoors area with wooden flooring (so cover-granting plants can grow), covered by sandboxes at the far end that cover the only door, so raiders have to run the killbox while being showered in gunfire. It works great; attacking me without sappers is suicide. But due to the fact that everyone who attacks me is getting the everloving gently caress shot out of them, taking prisoners is extremely goddamn unlikely, and I'd like some more warm bodies.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm a musicals geek.
So am I!

But this username is actually a reference to Escape Velocity, an absolute classic Mac game. It was freeware, with a little ship piloted by "Cap'n Hector" who'd show up in flight sometimes to nag you to buy the game. After the trial period elapsed, however, Cap'n Hector would turn hostile and attack you on sight. It wasn't deadly -- he was in the game's smallest ship and didn't have much in the way of armaments -- but you couldn't land or dock while under attack, and he could be a fatal distraction if you were in combat with more deadly opponents, and his ship was completely indestructible. So it was a terrific annoyance, and I named myself after him because if I was immortal, I too would like to spend my time just bugging the poo poo out of people.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 11, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

But this username is actually a reference to Escape Velocity, an absolute classic Mac game. It was freeware, with a little ship piloted by "Cap'n Hector" who'd show up in flight sometimes to nag you to buy the game. After the trial period elapsed, however, Cap'n Hector would turn hostile and attack you on sight. It wasn't deadly -- he was in the game's smallest ship and didn't have much in the way of armaments -- but you couldn't land or dock while under attack, and he could be a fatal distraction if you were in combat with more deadly opponents, and his ship was completely indestructible. So it was a terrific annoyance, and I named myself after him because if I was immortal, I too would like to spend my time just bugging the poo poo out of people.

Get out of the way or I'll blast ya to blazes!!!

Hector... he wasn't in the Lightning, he was in the gray/light blue civilian ship that carried torpedoes... gah what was that called... was that the Rapier?

Endless Sky has been scratching that EV itch that's been left since EV:Nova, though I am also happy to see people creating and sharing EV ships in Avorion.

CapnAndy posted:

Any tips for non-lethal takedowns of raiders, especially at range? I have a lovely entrance to my camp that opens into a wide outdoors area with wooden flooring (so cover-granting plants can grow), covered by sandboxes at the far end that cover the only door, so raiders have to run the killbox while being showered in gunfire. It works great; attacking me without sappers is suicide. But due to the fact that everyone who attacks me is getting the everloving gently caress shot out of them, taking prisoners is extremely goddamn unlikely, and I'd like some more warm bodies.

Not really, not unless you go modded. Some mods change chance on down for raiders, some change the loss of a vital organ as a critical thing to deal with or else they die anyway, some mods give you long range tranqs...

You could also eyeball the number of raiders entering at any specific point in time and tell a few of your pawns to hold fire - U is the default key for the ability to let colonists fire at will or hold fire.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Get out of the way or I'll blast ya to blazes!!!

Hector... he wasn't in the Lightning, he was in the gray/light blue civilian ship that carried torpedoes... gah what was that called... was that the Rapier?
I remember him being in the shuttlecraft, but memory is a tricky thing.

EV is why I name every spaceship I've ever gotten in any game that lets you name your spaceship the Kestrel.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They just added a customize option to difficulty, if you turn the Sudden Enemy Death chance down to 0% you'll get loads more prisoners, though I think without the random chance to put a bullet through somebody's heart/brain you'll have quite a few raiders powering through pain and getting close in non-killbox scenarios. But I love taking extra prisoners so I definitely zipped that down. If you're in the middle of a save file but are on the current patch you can change storytellers/difficulty at any time mid-game.

Other more traditional methods include using subpar melee weapons on your melee frontline(make them round a corner into 2+ angry armored bodies with wooden maces), using not quite over the top lethality in your kill box(traps hit hard but they hit the legs) and going for a heat/cold based killbox, where you can cause people to pass out and have a window of opportunity to act before it gets lethal.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

So am I!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1464742390

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I freaking loved the Rebel Carrier. Wasn't CapnAndy in an Argosy? Those were neat ships too.

Anyway, my current Rimworld game is starting to chug with the number of animals and colonists I have. I was considering starting a new game, but liked some of the colonists... then realized I could just make an event where the colony goes down in flames while the chosen few jump into transport pods and GTFO.

Dealing with a Baron's needs would be rough... maybe I'll make 3-4 Empire raids at once to wipe things out then renounce all titles and go on an Imperial murder spree.

You don't lose psylinks when you renounce, do you?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

If you need to knock someone out you want to hit them with a low damage-per-bullet weapon (but it still needs enough armor penetration and damage to incapacitate them before they overrun your defenses). If you only have a couple of enemies (and they have guns and not melee weapons) it's better to switch to clubs/maces (depending on their armor) and let them inside so you can ambush/engage them in melee.

You might also want to mess with the custom difficulty settings because the storyteller has a chance of just instakilling any downed pawn (normally for playerfaction+prisoners it's zero) and the chance of being able to capture enemies is reduced depending on your population. With the Cassandra storyteller personality the chance of instadeath goes to 100% if your population is >20, I think Randy's hardcap is 50 colonists?

Something I haven't fully tested yet but apparently prisoners don't count as population, even if the prisoner is a member of your faction? So hypothetically if you have some pawns you're not gonna need for a few days you can temporarily arrest+anesthetize+cryptosleep them to lower your population so the game allows you to capture more dudes to recruit. Also I guess that might reduce the size of incoming raids.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Doomykins posted:

They just added a customize option to difficulty, if you turn the Sudden Enemy Death chance down to 0% you'll get loads more prisoners, though I think without the random chance to put a bullet through somebody's heart/brain you'll have quite a few raiders powering through pain and getting close in non-killbox scenarios. But I love taking extra prisoners so I definitely zipped that down. If you're in the middle of a save file but are on the current patch you can change storytellers/difficulty at any time mid-game.

Other more traditional methods include using subpar melee weapons on your melee frontline(make them round a corner into 2+ angry armored bodies with wooden maces), using not quite over the top lethality in your kill box(traps hit hard but they hit the legs) and going for a heat/cold based killbox, where you can cause people to pass out and have a window of opportunity to act before it gets lethal.

"sudden enemy death" just means the chance that if someone would be downed from pain they will instead just die. you always have the chance of head/heartshotting some jackalope.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ah then I've had some astounding RNG, I'm talking mooks in cloth/bone armor taking 8+ shots from average or better mid-game guns and advancing like the bullets bounced off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is there a way to move a prisoner from one cell to another?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Ah then I've had some astounding RNG, I'm talking mooks in cloth/bone armor taking 8+ shots from average or better mid-game guns and advancing like the bullets bounced off.

I've found the Enemy Self Preservation mod to be a better thing mentally for me than the, "let's all charge and not care that we've been shot numerous times" though it does change the raid difficulties with every pawn handling their own fleeing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a way to move a prisoner from one cell to another?

Make sure you've got the other cell as a prison, then turn off the prison bed in the used room. Your warden can then come in and escort them to their new room.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

"sudden enemy death" just means the chance that if someone would be downed from pain they will instead just die. you always have the chance of head/heartshotting some jackalope.

Are you sure? I thought it was the equivalent of the sudden death slider for colonists, but for enemies, and turning that down definitely lets colonists survive hits that should normally kill them

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hooray, four people survived the most recent raid on me. This has got to be enough warm bodies to start effectively getting poo poo done in a timely manner!

Unfortunately, one of them just lies in a hospital bed all day and screams in pain. Does go-juice addiction hurt that bad? He has fiberous mechanites and an aching wound too, but I've never seen anyone in mind-searing pain before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pain incapacitation is very real, withdrawal is a sledgehammer and mechanites are a really annoying long term persistent +pain. If his consciousness won't rise and his pain is severe/extreme he's not gonna get up.